or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple begins accepting international iPad preorders

Apple begins accepting international iPad preorders

post #1 of 72
Apple on Sunday updated its online stores and began accepting preorders for both the Wi-Fi and 3G iPad models, a day earlier than the previously announced first sale date.

The preorder pages went online slightly early, as Apple had originally announced it would begin taking orders on Monday, May 10, in preparation for a May 28 launch. The international launch was previously delayed from a scheduled late April debut due to stronger than expected demand in the U.S.

Preorders are now being taken through Apple's online stores in Germany, the U.K., Australia, Switzerland, Spain, Italy, and France. It will also launch in Canada and Japan on May 28, but as of Sunday evening those nations' sites were not accepting preorders.

As with the U.S. launch, preorders of the iPad are limited to two per customer.

Last Friday, Apple announced an international launch date of May 28 for the nine countries that can now preorder the iPad. Prices for the hardware are as follows:

Wi-Fi-only iPad:
16GB - 479 Europe, £429 U.K., $549 Canadian, $629 Australian
32GB - 579 Europe, £499 U.K., $649 Canadian, $759 Australian
64GB - 679 Europe, £599 U.K., $749 Canadian, $879 Australian
Wi-Fi + 3G iPad
16GB - 579 Europe, £529 U.K., $679 Canadian, $799 Australian
32GB - 679 Europe, £599 U.K., $779 Canadian, $928 Australian
64GB - 779 Europe, £699 U.K., $879 Canadian, $1,049 Australian

The first glimpse at international data plan prices for the 3G model also came last week, when Orange U.K. revealed that it will offer four different pricing options, including a pay-as-you-go price plan. A recurring monthly plan with 3GB of 3G data and unlimited browsing at Wi-Fi hotspots costs £15 ($22.02 U.S.), while a £25 ($36.71 U.S.) plan offers 10GB of monthly bandwidth.

The 9.7-inch touchscreen device will launch in Austria, Belgium, Hong Kong, Ireland, Luxembourg, Mexico, Netherlands, New Zealand and Singapore in July, and nine additional countries will be announced at a later date.
post #2 of 72
Apple is doomed!
post #3 of 72
Apple needs to love Canada more.
"Stay hungry, stay foolish."
"Stay hungry, stay foolish."
post #4 of 72
Do any of the countries accepting pre-orders NOT say "Delivers by May 28th"?

Taking all bets on when these dates will change as pre-order sales sell out.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #5 of 72
It's worth noting that it's not actually a day early. In each of those countries it is May 10. Which is why the iPad is not yet available for pre-order in Canada
post #6 of 72
It's beginning to look like everybody will have an iPad before the iPad "killers" even make it to market. When you have a brilliant product combined with marketing genius it's pretty hard for others to compete. Some may have a good product but mediocre marketing. Others may have great marketing but a substandard product and you can only pile so much lipstick on a pig.

We'll see what happens when the so-called "killers" become available but it isn't looking good right now for the also rans. One thing is for damn sure, the Apple haters are completely apoplectic at this point. They are so enraged they can't get the words out in the right order. They're looking and sounding pretty pathetic lately, grabbing at any negative news or rumors. Desperation is setting in and, like any cornered animal, they are wildly lashing out.
post #7 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by jreddekopp View Post

It's worth noting that it's not actually a day early. In each of those countries it is May 10. Which is why the iPad is not yet available for pre-order in Canada

but it's been "tomorrow" in Japan longer than anywhere else on the list (including Australia by an hour or two). ;-)

Interesting after seeing AT&T's pretty good plans and Orange's very good ones in the UK to see that Japan is getting crushed on 3G plans by SoftBank. Two-year contract and about $30 per month.
post #8 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by erictheb View Post

but it's been "tomorrow" in Japan longer than anywhere else on the list (including Australia by an hour or two). ;-)

It's available there too. I'm not sure how long it's been up, but it's there now: http://store.apple.com/jp
post #9 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The preorder pages went online slightly early, as Apple had originally announced it would begin taking orders on Monday, May 10...

Seriously? It has been "tomorrow" for hours now in some parts of the world.
post #10 of 72
Quote:

my first thoughts when I read the article.
post #11 of 72
It was the 10th when I pre-ordered my 32GB iPad (3G + WiFi), although only just! When I started trying to order Apple still hadn't finished putting up the tariff details (in the UK). The data plans a bit disappointing I must admit.
post #12 of 72
Quote:

Yeah, what a colossally stupid story. Sending everyone to the order site when they aren't even on sale yet.

More evidence of how this site hasn't got a clue when something happens outside of the USA. Shameful really. And of course they will never admit it or acknowledge the mistake.
post #13 of 72
Quote:

Interesting after seeing AT&T's pretty good plans and Orange's very good ones in the UK to see that Japan is getting crushed on 3G plans by SoftBank. Two-year contract and about $30 per month.

East Coast of Australia (Melbourne, Sydney, Brisbane etc) are 1 hour ahead of Japan so they see Tomorrow before Japan does.
post #14 of 72
Its now well past midnight in Canada on May 10 and we still can't pre-order the iPad. I guess Apple lied about it being available today in Canada.

Another disappointment. I'll have to wait for an announcement for when I can actually order it. Maybe the demand in the U.K. and Germany was too much so we get short-changed again.
post #15 of 72
Quote:

Yup, and they priced themselves right out of at least one customer. There's no chance I'll be bending over and grabbing my ankles for an iPad. $30/month with a two year contract for a SIM-locked iPad? That's a joke, right?!
post #16 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryand View Post

Its now well past midnight in Canada on May 10 and we still can't pre-order the iPad. I guess Apple lied about it being available today in Canada.

Another disappointment. I'll have to wait for an announcement for when I can actually order it. Maybe the demand in the U.K. and Germany was too much so we get short-changed again.

It's only past midnight in Ontario and east of that. Go west and it is still the 9th of May. Patience...

philip
post #17 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmcd View Post

It's only past midnight in Ontario and east of that. Go west and it is still the 9th of May. Patience...

philip

So I have to stay up to 3 am in hopes that they may make it available for sale? What if I go to bed and they sell out before morning?
post #18 of 72
Quote:

So I have to stay up to 3 am in hopes that they may make it available for sale? What if I go to bed and they sell out before morning?

I'm sure you'd survive, but if it's that important then just keep waiting...

philip
post #19 of 72
Quote:

I'm sure you'd survive, but if it's that important then just keep waiting...

philip

Two years ago, I got up at 4 am and line up outside a Fido store to buy an iphone. I was second in line, but they refused to sell one to me because I was an existing Fido customer. I had to wait nearly a month to get my iphone and I had no choice because Rogers and Fido (which is owned by Rogers) were the only suppliers in Canada. I raised hell and got nowhere, although they claimed I was moved up the list I still had a long wait to get my iphone.

This experience reminds me of that. For sure when I get my iphone 4g it will be with Bell and I will let fido know why I'm canceling. I have a long memory when it comes to bad service. Apple has already made us wait a month. This is like the bad old days when Apple computers weren't available in Canada until months after their introduction date. Once again, I have no choice but to wait, but I won't forget this.
post #20 of 72
Somebody tell me how far in advance Apple put a hold on the fund/charge on the card before the shipping date? Need to make some room on my CC, silly/sad I know but this is an exception. I would rather save and wait than denting my CC even further for pricey stuffs but this is one rule that can be break (so I make myself to believe).
post #21 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splash-reverse View Post

Somebody tell me how far in advance Apple put a hold on the fund/charge on the card before the shipping date? Need to make some room on my CC, silly/sad I know but this is an exception. I would rather save and wait than denting my CC even further for pricey stuffs but this is one rule that can be break (so I make myself to believe).

I think that the policy is that they charge your card when the product ships. Probably 2 or 3 days before, but if you pay your credit card 5 days ahead you will most likely be safe. I have the same concern because I max out my credit card every month, although I also pay the full balance every month. Timing is very important and with the release near the end of the month, I have to be careful to make sure my card isn't maxed.
post #22 of 72
Quote:

[ ]

This experience reminds me of that. For sure when I get my iphone 4g it will be with Bell and I will let fido know why I'm canceling. I have a long memory when it comes to bad service. Apple has already made us wait a month. This is like the bad old days when Apple computers weren't available in Canada until months after their introduction date. Once again, I have no choice but to wait, but I won't forget this.

I can imagine that it would be disappointing, but it's really not the end of the world. Waiting a bit is not always a bad thing. In any case I don't really think we should expect to have products introduced simultaneously. There are just so many regulatory bodies to deal with that I am amazed that they can even sell them in so many countries. I am sure you are aware of the chaos that exists in distribution of media (ebooks, music, movies, tv shows, etc...). These are products that are crossing boundaries and when countries keep insisting on sovereignty you are going to have difficulties.

I guess Canada will simply have to decide how much independence it wants. You can't have a very sparsely populated country expecting similar shipping rates, having hidden taxes, CRTC regulatory agencies, etc... and expect to have access to foreign products instantly.

I can just hear the complaints over the iBook store content being different or the lack of access to Netflix.

We are both Rogers and Bell customers. Both have been fine.

philip
post #23 of 72
Quote:

I can imagine that it would be disappointing, but it's really not the end of the world. Waiting a bit is not always a bad thing. In any case I don't really think we should expect to have products introduced simultaneously. There are just so many regulatory bodies to deal with that I am amazed that they can even sell them in so many countries. I am sure you are aware of the chaos that exists in distribution of media (ebooks, music, movies, tv shows, etc...). These are products that are crossing boundaries and when countries keep insisting on sovereignty you are going to have difficulties.

I guess Canada will simply have to decide how much independence it wants. You can't have a very sparsely populated country expecting similar shipping rates, having hidden taxes, CRTC regulatory agencies, etc... and expect to have access to foreign products instantly.

I can just hear the complaints over the iBook store content being different or the lack of access to Netflix.

We are both Rogers and Bell customers. Both have been fine.

philip

Rogers stinks and so does Canada. We have all kinds of laws restricting our freedom. You can bet that there will be restrictions on book buying based on the nationality of the authors. I make a point of not buying Canadian books or movies just to spite the as*holes in government who tell us what we can and can't buy. I also refuse to watch Canadian TV. I only watch American TV pirated from Dish Network (since its against the law to buy it here).

I'm all for independence, but independence begins with the people, not the politicians and certainly not with the business interests who buy off the politicians.
post #24 of 72
Isn't it strange that Apple doesn't provide an app for buying from the Apple Store? Since I have to get up at 3 am to order my iPad, it would be so much more convenient to turn to my iphone that I keep by my bedside rather than getting up to order from my iMac.

I mean we don't even know for sure that ordering will be available at 3 am and yet I have to get up and go to my computer just to check for it? Why on earth hasn't Apple thought to come out with an app for their own store?
post #25 of 72
Quote:

Rogers stinks and so does Canada. We have all kinds of laws restricting our freedom. You can bet that there will be restrictions on book buying based on the nationality of the authors. I make a point of not buying Canadian books or movies just to spite the as*holes in government who tell us what we can and can't buy. I also refuse to watch Canadian TV. I only watch American TV pirated from Dish Network (since its against the law to buy it here).

I'm all for independence, but independence begins with the people, not the politicians and certainly not with the business interests who buy off the politicians.

I've lived in quite a few places on earth. If you think Canada stinks then you need to move to another planet.

I am not a Canadian nationalist, or a strong believer in sovereignty, but your attitude strikes me as that of someone who only wants to take, There are reasons for the way books, media, etc...are distributed in Canada. In part they are related to the fact that many/most Canadians did not want to be part of America.

You might want to think that freedom has no restrictions and responsibilities. Like I said, I am not a strong believer in the notion of sovereignty and nationalism in general, but your attitude is reprehensible.

philip
post #26 of 72
The online store went to it's usual update mode about a quarter to midnight and wasn't back up when I finally gave up about an hour later. I woke up about 3:30AM and it was accepting orders so I ordered two.

Softbank is playing filthy as usual and to get the 3G model you have to order on a 24-month plan. They even have a way to wring money out of those buying the WiFi-only model if you decide to use their installment plan.

WiMax is becoming widely available in Japan (40MB/10MB) at plans starting at as little as 380 yen per month and topping off at 4980 yen. Softbank charges 3200 yen for unreliable 3G. Needless to say, I opted for the WiFi model.

One thing Softbank is apparently offering all new iPad owners is free access to their WiFi hotspots available at railway stations, airports, on the bullet train and of course McDonald's.
post #27 of 72
If the time of posting is right, orders went live in the UK around 2am.

I woke early at 5.30am and have place my order for a 32GB 3G + Wifi.

Interesting that it seems from the price plan details, only O2 allows sign-up from the iPad itself, and whichever one you chose, they charge you 20p for a micro SIM!

Data plan details are only shown further on in the store process - see image linked below.

Image of UK data rates
post #28 of 72
Quote:

I've lived in quite a few places on earth. If you think Canada stinks then you need to move to another planet.

I am not a Canadian nationalist, or a strong believer in sovereignty, but your attitude strikes me as that of someone who only wants to take, There are reasons for the way books, media, etc...are distributed in Canada. In part they are related to the fact that many/most Canadians did not want to be part of America.

You might want to think that freedom has no restrictions and responsibilities. Like I said, I am not a strong believer in the notion of sovereignty and nationalism in general, but your attitude is reprehensible.

philip

Really? I think that your attitude is reprehensible. People have a right to choose not to be American. They have a right to choose to buy Canadian books and watch Canadian TV and movies. That's their right. Where are my rights? I don't want to have my tax dollars used to subsidize bad TV, bad movies and bad books. I only want to pay for what I choose, but the government forces me to pay taxes to support things I don't want to buy and then makes it illegal for me to buy alternatives. That isn't independence, that's fascism.
post #29 of 72
Quote:

What planet are you from?

Canada is widely recognised as one of the most civilised and nicest places to live on earth. Even in the US, Canadian cities regularly win those "most liveable" contests, and Canada is generally thought of as an excellent safe, civilised vacation destination. It's basically the same as the USA but without the guns.

There are no draconian laws taking away your "freedom," and we have a constitution and bill of rights that gives you more rights and freedoms than the average US citizen does. The government doesn't tell people what to watch or buy, nor do they take any of your tax dollars to support TV stations. CBC pays it's own way (which is why it has so much crap shows but that's another issue entirely).
post #30 of 72
Quote:

I think that the policy is that they charge your card when the product ships. Probably 2 or 3 days before, but if you pay your credit card 5 days ahead you will most likely be safe
[...] maxed.

Cheers. Selling my xbox for this. Well, I got two too many. See, Apple loyals have more disposal income than usual PC users. We're suckers for Apple products because we can...
post #31 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by martymcr View Post

[...]

Interesting that it seems from the price plan details, only O2 allows sign-up from the iPad itself, and whichever one you chose, they charge you 20p for a micro SIM!

Data plan details are only shown further on in the store process - see image linked below.

Image of UK data rates

I chose Orange tariff as I find they're better priced and suits my need. Vodafone only have 2 offerings and it is quoted per month for the lowest ie. 250MB. O2 meanwhile is the dearest if you want the occassional use tariff. Coverage for all 3 are fine where I live.
post #32 of 72
Quote:

It aint midnight yet in BC. Sorry - but you east coaster just gotta wait for them to catch up to you.

jmmx in Portland OR. (USA)
post #33 of 72
Quote:

That isn't independence, that's fascism.

No it's called compromise ( between the "law of the jungle" and a "totalitarian state").

philip
post #34 of 72
Quote:

In part they are related to the fact that many/most Canadians did not want to be part of America.
philip

Philip

I appreciate where you are coming from philosophically. However, I am afraid that Canada most definitely IS part of America, and will remain so until the San Andreas fault moves to the border and splits the continent apart.

Respectfully,

jmmx
post #35 of 72
Just called the main city store of Myer (they have Apple Stores inside them) in Brisbane, Australia to place a pre-order. They aren't taking preorders for the 3G model, and it's almost 4.30pm here, yet I was the first person to place a preorder for the 64Gb model. I kinda expected a bit more interest, unless everyone is just ordering through Apple directly. That surprised me.
post #36 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splash-reverse View Post

I chose Orange tariff as I find they're better priced and suits my need. Vodafone only have 2 offerings and it is quoted per month for the lowest ie. 250MB. O2 meanwhile is the dearest if you want the occassional use tariff. Coverage for all 3 are fine where I live.

I may be missing something here, but why do you think is O2 the dearest? they are doing 500MB for a day for £2, and their monthly plan is the same as Orange.

I've had to use my Macbook via tethering for the past two months, paying O2 £10 a month for 3GB - I never thought it would be enough to last me but it's been OK as long as I don't download the iPhone SDK etc.
post #37 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmmx View Post

Philip

I appreciate where you are coming from philosophically. However, I am afraid that Canada most definitely IS part of America, and will remain so until the San Andreas fault moves to the border and splits the continent apart.

Respectfully,

jmmx

jmmx

I appreciate where you are coming from geologically. However, I am afraid that Canada most definitely IS part of America, and will remain so despite where the San Andreas fault moves to as the continent will not split apart along the current artificial boundaries.

Respectfully,

solipsism

Seriously though, I am sure he was using America as a terse form of United States of America, which I find completely acceptable when referring to countries.
post #38 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Apple is doomed!™

Apple is not doomed (I know you're joking there) but seriously they're growing way too fast and things are getting real complicated outside the US.

There will be backlash but the popularity of anything Apple is so high across the world most people won't notice or will be willing to put up with it.

That said, the iPhone 3G and iPhone 3GS I have all have no issues. My Macbook Aluminium, however...
post #39 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

It's beginning to look like everybody will have an iPad before the iPad "killers" even make it to market. When you have a brilliant product combined with marketing genius it's pretty hard for others to compete. Some may have a good product but mediocre marketing. Others may have great marketing but a substandard product and you can only pile so much lipstick on a pig.

We'll see what happens when the so-called "killers" become available but it isn't looking good right now for the also rans. One thing is for damn sure, the Apple haters are completely apoplectic at this point. They are so enraged they can't get the words out in the right order. They're looking and sounding pretty pathetic lately, grabbing at any negative news or rumors. Desperation is setting in and, like any cornered animal, they are wildly lashing out.

Well, all the other big players, Dell, Lenovo, HP, Acer, whatever... They've had pretty much the whole year up till now to get their sh*t together. What have they done? Let's see. Half-assed nonsense vapourware at CES. Months and months since the iPad was actually demonstrated in full glory with all the details laid bare. It's almost June and everyone is still stuck trying to push netbooks, not a single major manufacturer/brand has EVEN TRIED to put out ANY KIND OF TABLET.

By the time competitors even get their act together (and no thanks to Microsoft for still thinking/ not offering an alternative to Windows 7 and/or Windows Mobile as something worthwhile for tablets) ... Hmm
post #40 of 72
Oil Sands!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

What planet are you from?

Canada is widely recognised as one of the most civilised and nicest places to live on earth. Even in the US, Canadian cities regularly win those "most liveable" contests, and Canada is generally thought of as an excellent safe, civilised vacation destination. It's basically the same as the USA but without the guns.

There are no draconian laws taking away your "freedom," and we have a constitution and bill of rights that gives you more rights and freedoms than the average US citizen does. The government doesn't tell people what to watch or buy, nor do they take any of your tax dollars to support TV stations. CBC pays it's own way (which is why it has so much crap shows but that's another issue entirely).
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Apple begins accepting international iPad preorders