or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › I can't recommend the iPad to Granny.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

I can't recommend the iPad to Granny. - Page 2

post #41 of 54
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

What a delightful choice of screenshot.

Now is not the time.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #42 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

There's no need to force it to be necessary. No need. Google are going to outsmart Apple if they are not careful.

I agree that it should not be necessary, but is also unnecessary to harp on it like this.
post #43 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

What a delightful choice of screenshot.

I was just trying to find her with Google Image Search. No luck.
post #44 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by FuturePastNow View Post

I was just trying to find her with Google Image Search. No luck.

It's a picture of Megan Fox. I scribbled an iPod on top to make the picture fit more with the iPad.

I think the basic filesystem app would be needed to allow proper untethered use.

It would still be sandboxed as no app has access to another application data, just the save files that a user creates. This separates user-generated content from the applications and no need to keep syncing data to transfer files via itunes.
post #45 of 54
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I agree that it should not be necessary, but is also unnecessary to harp on it like this.

Not so. Harping on this important point is very important. Apple is indirectly holding back the iPad, they need to pull the plug, and soon.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #46 of 54
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

It would still be sandboxed as no app has access to another application data, just the save files that a user creates. This separates user-generated content from the applications and no need to keep syncing data to transfer files via itunes.

Perhaps. Some sort of solution is needed, anyway. The Galaxy tab, if sold unsubsidized without contract, won't require one to own a computer to set one up and use it. That's all that matters. Consumers will understand that soon enough.

Besides, like I say, the iPad has the App Store and the iTunes store already. And you could still dock is to your Mac or PC if you really wanted to. The point is it shouldn't be a requirement for initial setup and general use. It should be an optional extra.

This is important. So no, I won't shut up about it.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #47 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

The biggest problem I've noticed with people above their 40's is getting used to the touchscreen interface ...

i suspect, for senior citizens (aged 65 and above) especially, their reduced dexterity makes touch screen interfaces a bit tricky to use. also, font size and clarity becomes a much more important consideration as one grows older.
post #48 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Not so. Harping on this important point is very important. Apple is indirectly holding back the iPad, they need to pull the plug, and soon.

You've made your point, several times over, and after a bit, it's just too much. There's a point where the best you can do is give feedback to Apple. No one here can really help. It certainly doesn't do any good to not address early replies to your point and then repeat.
post #49 of 54
My dad bought the iPad when it first came out. He is 86 and reads lots of books on it. He takes classes and travels with it. It is near perfect for those in his age range. He has a PC and only connects them when there is a system update. I can see your point about the set up but until the iPad has evolved a bit more it is a good thing that it is limited. Once an electronic piece of equipment gets close to having its hard disk filled problem start to happen frequently. Right now unless you connect up to a computer, managing the content on your iPad is nil. There is no "Trash Can". All you can do is add content. Until that one item is added you will need the computer or the soon to arrive apple cloud.
post #50 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by reg View Post

My dad bought the iPad when it first came out. He is 86 and reads lots of books on it. He takes classes and travels with it. It is near perfect for those in his age range. He has a PC and only connects them when there is a system update. I can see your point about the set up but until the iPad has evolved a bit more it is a good thing that it is limited. Once an electronic piece of equipment gets close to having its hard disk filled problem start to happen frequently. Right now unless you connect up to a computer, managing the content on your iPad is nil. There is no "Trash Can". All you can do is add content. Until that one item is added you will need the computer or the soon to arrive apple cloud.

While it's true you can't delete music, movies and books that you buy at the iTunes store, it's absolutely untrue to say that you cannot remove any content without connecting to a computer. You can delete apps as much as you want.
post #51 of 54
I stand corrected ; ]
Still most apps are small compared to albums, movies or even books.
post #52 of 54
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

You've made your point, several times over, and after a bit, it's just too much.

Good.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #53 of 54
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonton View Post

While it's true you can't delete music, movies and books that you buy at the iTunes store, it's absolutely untrue to say that you cannot remove any content without connecting to a computer. You can delete apps as much as you want.

You can delete books and videos. Just not music.

Deleting isn't the problem. Granny won't ever have a full iPad. The problem is: opening the box, turning it on and using it. You can't do that yet. It's sad.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #54 of 54
.....
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › I can't recommend the iPad to Granny.