or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple releases iOS 4.1 with Bluetooth, proximity sensor fixes

Apple releases iOS 4.1 with Bluetooth, proximity sensor fixes - Page 2

post #41 of 131
How snappy versus 3.1.3? It surely is snappy versus 4.0. That is expected. It's versus 3.1.3 that the snappy-ness should be compared to.

iMac mid 2011 • 27 in • 3,4 GHz Core i7 • 32 GB RAM • AMD Radeon HD 6970M 2GB VRAM

iMac mid 2011 • 27 in • 3,4 GHz Core i7 • 32 GB RAM • AMD Radeon HD 6970M 2GB VRAM

post #42 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newtron View Post

Because you are a better person than him?

OK, maybe that one doesn't work in your case. Sorry.

Thought about that for a second.

Apology accepted.
post #43 of 131
Anyone having proximity issues on the iphone 4 after installing ver 4.1????
post #44 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by super8sean View Post

I havent had it since v4.1b3.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #45 of 131
Is HDR worth breaking jailbreak?
Tech Apocalypse - Battle for the Sky.
Tech Apocalypse - Battle for the Sky.
post #46 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by techapocalypse View Post

Just returned from Disney, took many pictures using HDR and the HDR versions were considerably better than the standard. There is a 2 second save delay in HDR mode, I assume because of the additional images it is storing.

Not sure on the jailbreak side, don't jailbreak my phone.
post #47 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by nkhm View Post

You really should, iTunes 10 is a massive performance increase.

What do you mean by performance increase? Does it still take forever to load, which is a sign of bloatware (at least on my WinXP PC)? Thanks.
post #48 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by super8sean View Post

It's fixed my issues. Not one mistake on a 40 mins call whereas before it was endless issues. Very happy!
"Islam is as dangerous in a man as rabies in a dog"~ Sir Winston Churchill. We are nurturing a nightmare that will haunt our children, and kill theirs.
"Islam is as dangerous in a man as rabies in a dog"~ Sir Winston Churchill. We are nurturing a nightmare that will haunt our children, and kill theirs.
post #49 of 131
Quote:

I don't know but it works very well indeed.
post #50 of 131
Macworld just published First Look: iOS 4.1

Quote:
Overall, iOS 4.1 is a worthy update that packs both new capabilities as well as improvements to existing features—and all for free, too. With the performance improvements, even iPhone 3G users will find something to like in 4.1. As with most of Apple’s iOS updates, there’s pretty much no reason not to upgrade to the latest version, especially if your device of choice is an iPhone 4 or 3GS.

http://www.macworld.com/article/1539...ook_ios41.html

Somehow, I would take their opinion over many that are posted here.
post #51 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newtron View Post

Does this ruin jailbroken phones?

If I had to guess, I'd say it fixes them so they are not broken anymore.

Update installed for me with no problems. HDR does appear to make a slight difference in photos, but I haven't given it a proper test yet.

I'm excited to report that Bluetooth has been fixed and my Apple headset works again. It actually works better than before 4.0. Previously, when I placed a call with the headset already connected, I had to manually select Bluetooth from the audio sources. Now if I place a call with the headset already connected, it uses it automatically. Super!
13" MacBook Pro 2.26GHz; iPhone 4 32GB
13" MacBook Pro 2.26GHz; iPhone 4 32GB
post #52 of 131
IT DID NOT FIX A THING!

My proximity sensor is still putting everyone on hold, mute, and dialing numbers in their ear.
post #53 of 131
Hmm...downloaded software but said it was corrupted. Trying again.
A reputation is not built upon the restful domain of one's comfort zone; it is made out of stalwart exposition of your core beliefs, for all challenges to disprove them as irrelevant hubris.- Berp...
A reputation is not built upon the restful domain of one's comfort zone; it is made out of stalwart exposition of your core beliefs, for all challenges to disprove them as irrelevant hubris.- Berp...
post #54 of 131
Messages still get stuck in the Outbox when e-mailing photos.
post #55 of 131
Quote:

in my opinion, no. but i use aperture and photoshop and can auto-correct stuff with those.
post #56 of 131
I am actually angrier now that I have downloaded the update. Sure, my 3g is absolutely faster than it was, but now I truly know just how jacked up 4.0 was for the 3g. HOW could they release something that was so downright terribad for my iPhone?

For those asking if this 4.1 is good for 3g, let me just say, I had to clean myself up after using it for a few. It's like a different phone ... that said this should have NOT happened. Shame on you Apple!
post #57 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennywse View Post

I am actually angrier now that I have downloaded the update. Sure, my 3g is absolutely faster than it was, but now I truly know just how jacked up 4.0 was for the 3g. HOW could they release something that was so downright terribad for my iPhone?

For those asking if this 4.1 is good for 3g, let me just say, I had to clean myself up after using it for a few. It's like a different phone ... that said this should have NOT happened. Shame on you Apple!

Just be happy!
post #58 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I agree. Gamecenter is lacking fun... can't retain other people's email to add friends/competitors. It's a Sadnesscenter.

I don't understand why you felt the need to bring the Microsoft Stores into the discussion.
Crying? No, I am not crying. I am sweating through my eyes.
Crying? No, I am not crying. I am sweating through my eyes.
post #59 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by paxman View Post

Please somebody - is it snappy on 3g?

It sure is on my 3G.
post #60 of 131
Clock sync not fixed. Maybe next update...
post #61 of 131
Quote:

So, you don't like the idea that you were beta testing for a company for a piece of software you got for free?
Go Linux, Choose a Flavor!
"I aim to misbehave"
"I aim to misbehave"
post #62 of 131
All done. Loving the HDR.

This iP4's camera capabilities are getting closer to those of my Sony compact for general snaps.

Looking good
post #63 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onhka View Post

You have been such an ass about everything Apple, why the hell should we help you now?

Fine. I tried to be nice to the children here but what's the use. I should have said what I really thought. And here it is:

Oh! An update for the iPhone 3G? Well how nice. My old 3G has been hobbled for months and Apple has finally gotten off their collected asses and fixed their screw up? What, they finally got their A team off of the stupid Ping project and got them on something important, like fixing their flagship product?

Apple should be ashamed of themselves and their inability to execute anything.
post #64 of 131
iOS 4.1 seems to be running just fine. HDR works fairly well but haven't really run it through its paces. It seems to improve shadow detail less than some of the 3rd party apps and may be creating HDR photos with slightly more natural looking colors as well. I could give a krap about Game Center though. Just. Don't. Care.

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

post #65 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by camroidv27 View Post

So, you don't like the idea that you were beta testing for a company for a piece of software you got for free?

hmmm, can't say he was beta testing. Apple should have just allowed a downgrade from 4.0 for 3G users... but now it's all better for those with 16 month old phones. [so ancient!]
post #66 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackintosh View Post

Fine. I tried to be nice to the children here but what's the use. I should have said what I really thought. And here it is:

Oh! An update for the iPhone 3G? Well how nice. My old 3G has been hobbled for months and Apple has finally gotten off their collected asses and fixed their screw up? What, they finally got their A team off of the stupid Ping project and got them on something important, like fixing their flagship product?

I hope Google is paying you a lot for your time. You seem to be spending quite a lot of energy and effort in the forums here. And not because you're an Apple fan.

But whatever. If you're getting paid, a buck is a buck and it's a free country. If you're not getting paid, you're helping build traffic to one of the premiere pro-Apple web sites.

Keep up the good "work."

post #67 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackintosh View Post

I am truly an Apple fan, but I have to comment again how bad they screwed this one up. There are MILLIONS of 3g users out there who have used a product that was broken for 4 months? Take for example Monopoly. I love playing this game on my phone, but it has been almost unplayable since the upgrade. Consistent memory errors, very slow, and crashed about every 4 times playing it. Don't even get me started about trying to play my music through the game. Now since the upgrade the game has NO errors, never crashes (at least not the 5 times I have played since upgrading), and is downright fast.

People will say be happy? No, they should not release software upgrades that literally break the phone. Unacceptable. My hope is they will learn from this gaff. I love apple, but very disappointed I had to use a crappy phone since the upgrade. For those who say I should have gone back are missing the point.
post #68 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyKrz View Post

If this is exactly the same as the GM, which I believe it would be, then the proximity sensor has not been fixed. In fact, I think it is a little worse than the 4.1 beta 3.

Yeah, I've held off complaining, because of NDA, but the proximity sensor on iPhone4 is still terrible. You move it just a little and the screen comes back on. On the plus side, it's a fun game of roulette to see if I'll figure out why the other person suddenly can't hear me before they hang up. Or, to sometimes discover that I'm in the middle of adding another person to the call.
post #69 of 131
post #70 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdj21ya View Post

Yeah, I've held off complaining, because of NDA, but the proximity sensor on iPhone4 is still terrible. You move it just a little and the screen comes back on. On the plus side, it's a fun game of roulette to see if I'll figure out why the other person suddenly can't hear me before they hang up. Or, to sometimes discover that I'm in the middle of adding another person to the call.

Hmm, I've been using the GM seed since last week on my iPhone 4 and I haven't once had the proximity sensor issue crop up. It was REALLY bad before and I would either mute/end calls about 4 or five times per day.

Since going to 4.1 GM last week, I haven't had a single issue.
post #71 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by desarc View Post

hmmm, can't say he was beta testing. Apple should have just allowed a downgrade from 4.0 for 3G users... but now it's all better for those with 16 month old phones. [so ancient!]

I thought first revisions of hardware / software that leave Apple's doors and into customers' hands were Beta products... I guess I was wrong.
"I aim to misbehave"
"I aim to misbehave"
post #72 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpomerenk View Post

IT DID NOT FIX A THING!

My proximity sensor is still putting everyone on hold, mute, and dialing numbers in their ear.

Really annoying. I hope everyone will take the time to go to support.apple.com or bugreport.apple.com to make sure it registers with them that this does not fix the proximity sensor issue.

I'm really frustrated that they would hold this out there for people--I'm sure some people have even bought the phone trusting Apple's word that they'd be fixing the problems.

You really have to question their testing process when a "fix" is released for this high profile issue without actually doing anything to fix the problem. Do the testers possibly all have some sort of bizarre ear shape that actually works with the iPhone 4 sensor?
post #73 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

Hmm, I've been using the GM seed since last week on my iPhone 4 and I haven't once had the proximity sensor issue crop up. It was REALLY bad before and I would either mute/end calls about 4 or five times per day.

Since going to 4.1 GM last week, I haven't had a single issue.

I'm glad to hear it has helped someone. Maybe it's both a software issue and then also a hardware problem for some?
post #74 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagman View Post

What do you mean by performance increase? Does it still take forever to load, which is a sign of bloatware (at least on my WinXP PC)? Thanks.

That's exactly what I mean - what else could it mean?

Faster launching, more responsive.
post #75 of 131
Quote:

What about bug fixes, security updates, performance increase and othet tracks across the board? OS updates are about more than new features...
post #76 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpomerenk View Post

IT DID NOT FIX A THING!

Return yr device then, it's defective.
post #77 of 131
I have had some pretty bad proximity issues in the past so I was very exited about this update.

I have found that the proximity sensor problem is pretty much fixed for me. I did notice though that now the proximity sensor emits a redish light when the applications enables it. I don't know if that happened on 4.0 but I just noticed it after updating.

I will try to take a good picture of it and post it here..
post #78 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdj21ya View Post

I'm glad to hear it has helped someone. Maybe it's both a software issue and then also a hardware problem for some?

I really don't know, but I'm sorry you're having issues. It was getting to be maddening for me. I'd be talking to someone, then all of a sudden I'd hear on the other line "Hello, hello, you there". And the damn thing would be on mute.

I really wish I had something insightful to add, but all I can say is that my iPhone 4 works (thank goodness).
post #79 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peymon View Post

Downloaded , it took 17 min to download and another 6 to 8 min to install and back up.
Game center was installed and HDR looks very impressive..
No issues encountered

why so long? mine took less than 5 minutes for the whole process.

"Apple people have no objectivity when it comes to criticism of Apple.." Lenovo X1 Carbon is out..bye bye MBAir

"Apple people have no objectivity when it comes to criticism of Apple.." Lenovo X1 Carbon is out..bye bye MBAir

post #80 of 131
Quote:

I am truly an Apple fan, but I have to comment again how bad they screwed this one up. There are MILLIONS of 3g users out there who have used a product that was broken for 4 months? Take for example Monopoly. I love playing this game on my phone, but it has been almost unplayable since the upgrade. Consistent memory errors, very slow, and crashed about every 4 times playing it. Don't even get me started about trying to play my music through the game. Now since the upgrade the game has NO errors, never crashes (at least not the 5 times I have played since upgrading), and is downright fast.

People will say be happy? No, they should not release software upgrades that literally break the phone. Unacceptable. My hope is they will learn from this gaff. I love apple, but very disappointed I had to use a crappy phone since the upgrade. For those who say I should have gone back are missing the point.

Lol. Millions of people used a broken device? I don't think so.

If yr device was broken, you should have returned it. Millions of people with a 'broken' device would have made one very large noise in the media.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple releases iOS 4.1 with Bluetooth, proximity sensor fixes