or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Apple releases Mac OS X 10.6.5 with no mention of AirPrint

Apple releases Mac OS X 10.6.5 with no mention of AirPrint - Page 3

post #81 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by jouster View Post

That makes no sense. No one is forcing you to print. But some - and I am one - need hard copy for their job. I wish I didn't but I do. So I am really looking forward to printing wirelessly from my iPad.

No they are not forcing me to print but if I am on the receiving end I have to keep track of the paper. Yuck, I hate paper.
post #82 of 111
Update works perfectly on VMware OSX Guests, I tried it this morning no problem.
For anyone who wants to know how to get OSX working in VMWare Workstation on Windows 7 for iPhone Development I have made a blog post about it on our site.

http://www.kintek.com.au/web-design-...opard-on-a-pc/
post #83 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by xanthohappy View Post

Grrr... Mail 4.4 boots out the Letterbox plugin. I know it'll likely be just a few days before there's an update, but it begs the bigger question: Why do we still need a plugin to view our email windows side-by-side? Apple's own MoblieMe has this feature. Why not their desktop software?!?

Here is a link that shows how to fix Letterbox plugin For Mail.app 4.4 http://newmacuser.com/mailapp-letterbox-fix/
post #84 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

Video as requested. Quality(1080p) will improve once youtube is done processing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_6ikp1ZWf0

Hey thanks for posting the video. I knew it had something to do with update that was released today. People that had the update previously still likely have the functionality still. They really must have pulled it from the build they released today.

You said something about a mini update. Where the hell do you find that in the developer account online? Never heard of that before.
post #85 of 111
Apple.ca or Apple.com shows the 10.6.5 combo updater as:

* Version: 10.6.5
* Post Date: 10 November, 2010
* Download ID: DL1324
* File Size: 977.21 MB

When I go to download it, my download shows only 203 MB.

Anyone else having this problem?

I always like to update from the Combo Updater but don't want to until the download shows the same size as what it's supposed to be.
post #86 of 111
"Resolves an issue in which Wikipedia information may not display correctly in Dictionary."

This was the first "fix" that I not only noticed, but repeatedly reported. Thanks AAPL!
http://facebook.com/jdanek630

The size of the shadow never indicates the size of the man.
http://facebook.com/jdanek630

The size of the shadow never indicates the size of the man.
post #87 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevetim View Post

Just out of curiosity ... since leopard why opt for the combo updater?

Combo is the only way to go.... Sing it with me, everyone.
Combo
The only way to
Gooooo

Seriously I will never to delta updates ever again. Combo FTW.
post #88 of 111
And I can't believe you all went 3 pages without confirming, as I have, that indeed:

It's Snappierâ„¢ !!
post #89 of 111
Will the real 10.6.5 Combo Update please stand up?

Here ya go:
http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1324

It's almost 1GB. But that's because it can upgrade a 10.6.0 machine all the way up in one go.
post #90 of 111
10.6.5 so far has been a good release for me. Anything involving graphics has become smoother, especially Top Sites. I can now use the 4x6 arrangement without Safari stalling. I don't have Airprint requirements, so no comment on that.
post #91 of 111
I have installed 10.6.5 and i have the 4.2 GM and i can print from my phone no problem. i dont have one of the e-print HP's just an officejet 8500.
post #92 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

My network is setup the same as yours except I connect my printer directly to my TimeCapsule via usb.

Also, once you set up a printer, your device remembers it - that's why my printer was already selected.

can you tell me which build of 10.6.5 you have? The build release by Apple does not support the features you are having luck with UNLESS the printer is one of 4 HP printers. Even some of their other eprint printers *such as the 8500a, do not work. You must have a build prior to 10H574.....
post #93 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyctree View Post

can you tell me which build of 10.6.5 you have? The build release by Apple does not support the features you are having luck with UNLESS the printer is one of 4 HP printers. Even some of their other eprint printers *such as the 8500a, do not work. You must have a build prior to 10H574.....

I dont think the Airprint support is required in the base OS. I have the 574 build. I have itunes 10.1 b2 and 4.2GM of IOS on the iphone and ipad. I print fine with this setup and DO NOT have an eprint printer.
post #94 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gxcad View Post

Actually, I want to know if its snappier...

But it is. It is!
Pity the agnostic dyslectic. They spend all their time contemplating the existence of dog.
Pity the agnostic dyslectic. They spend all their time contemplating the existence of dog.
post #95 of 111
After 10.6.5 update USB randomly stops working on my MacPro and I have to hard reset.
post #96 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by pik80 View Post

Yeah, just email them the document that you were going to print out.

Not always an option, there are still situations where having to print out is still necessary (I wish I could never print anything again, but we're not there yet). And what about things like needing to print out something like a map for someone? Just because you don't need a feature doesn't mean it shouldn't exist.
post #97 of 111
10.6.5 is not currently compatible with PGP disk encryption. It bricked my MBP. See this support thread:

http://discussions.apple.com/thread....3776&tstart=15
post #98 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by ns57 View Post

10.6.5 is not currently compatible with PGP disk encryption. It bricked my MBP. See this support thread:

http://discussions.apple.com/thread....3776&tstart=15

Beware anyone who offers advice about updating without first checking for compatibility issues or having a working backup or restore option available
post #99 of 111
Quote:

The idea of a tablet is ... you don't have to print ... time has come to go paperless.

However - in the other direction

Go TO printing and paper - FROM tablet

Of clay

After 5,000 years we're finally coming around the circle

We're moving into the Digital Age

And so many of you want to hang on to the Old Ways ?

Sheez, why not just go back to Scrolls, Parchment, or chisel it in stone ?

Here's two good reasons to give the trees a break

Do you know the USA's #1 export to China ?

Paper

Yes - our old junk recycled paper, by the boatload, in convoys

China found it's cheaper for them to buy our trash than grow their own and process from scratch

Plus - our old crap is such a high grade, they can't make paper of that quality for a cheaper price

Shit Dudes, wake up - do the math, Chinese have, and bet they didn't use an abacus either

Other Reason ...

9-11

Remember the photos, videos, etc as the Twin Towers fell ?

What was the ONE thing that survived ?

Floating all over the place, would not go away, was a tidal wave

Paper - Paper - Paper

Two Massive Buildings fall - thousands of People die

But the damn paper lives on and on

Remember a TV Ad by Xerox, IBM, (?) - had a group of folks sitting around a conference table trying to figure how to cut more money from their Company's Expenses. One guy, while looking over a stack of reports/etc, asks "What about this, all this paper? How much could we save here?"

And THAT commercial was 10 or 15 years ago

We have to get off this Dead End Path of trees/printing/paper

(and get a hard ass too, skip the extra thick puffy Charmin - go European Crepe - but those with 'roids may be forgiven and excused, ha ha)

The USA's junkie habit of Paper is perhaps the best example - along with Gasoline/Cars/Varoom and Toys/Games/Entertainment - of our waste and culture of constant consumer consumption that's the primary cause of our "problems" the past few years, but has been building for 40+ years, and will be our downfall if we don't change our ways, and fast.

Get Wise - Get Hip

Think Differentâ„¢

Go Digital

(good, glad to get this rant off my chest)

post #100 of 111
paper is here to stay for a while at least, unless you can get me 100+ eink pages to print to (as opposed to one reader page, so I can browse through it) I 'm going with paper because I want to save my eyes.
post #101 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

I think you only need the Mac to be on when you add the printer -- for a printer on your Airport.

I think the Airport gets the drivers from the Mac at setup time.

Oh, cool, thanks!
post #102 of 111
edit: don't worry, my bad, had the wrong combo updater
post #103 of 111
Well I just checked and they STILL haven't fixed the font spacing issue on the Help menu. Pathetic.

SL actually introduced this 'feature' when it came out and 5 updates later it's still there.
post #104 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Mac User View Post

Here is a link that shows how to fix Letterbox plugin For Mail.app 4.4 http://newmacuser.com/mailapp-letterbox-fix/

THANK YOU New Mac User! I just could not deal with the top/bottom view. Made my email handling so much easier. Thank You Thank You Thank You
post #105 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

And I can't believe you all went 3 pages without confirming, as I have, that indeed:

It's Snappier !!

Not here but I posted quite early at MDN that 10.6.5 had measurably accelerated my MBP for application opening, start-up, iPhoto responsiveness, and now I've tested it, Aperture 3.1 now opens in just a couple of seconds! This is the biggest increase in snappiness I've had from a simple point update.

Well done Apple!
post #106 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meriana View Post

I guess Apple didn't want to hold the release of 10.6.5 back any longer and removed AirPrint for the time beeing.

Even though Apple released 10.6.5 AirPrint is automatically added to the update, I have tried myself with it and I can share printers through that updated computer.
And Steve Jobs said don't believe anything you read (AirPrint still is coming in iOS 4.2)
another link explaining: http://www.macrumors.com/2010/11/10/...rprint-issues/
post #107 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC Kelly View Post

And so many of you want to hang on to the Old Ways ?

I am glad to hear from someone as passionate about this as I am. I have found that beyond the environment and financial advantages that it is just so much easier to search for files on a computer then on paper and going paperless doesn't make your office so messy.

"And THAT commercial was 10 or 15 years ago"
BusinessWeek talked about the paperless office and that was 35 years ago! When computers came around we actually ended up using DOUBLE the paper we used before computers, not less!
post #108 of 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by minderbinder View Post

Just because you don't need a feature doesn't mean it shouldn't exist.

Well it would force people to change faster. Some people will put off change as long as they possibly can.
post #109 of 111
Maybe this was released earlier and I failed to notice, but intertial scrolling is now working on my mid 2008 MBP
post #110 of 111
Quote:

Well it would force people to change faster. Some people will put off change as long as they possibly can.

That's true. I still wish there was an easier way to transfer information. Handing someone next to you a sheet of paper takes a second. Sending them a piece of digital information from your device to theirs can take 15 seconds or more.
post #111 of 111
I'm having a lot of trouble with VNC sessions since I installed this update a couple weeks ago.

I'm downloading the combo updater now, hopefully it will solve the problem.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac OS X
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Apple releases Mac OS X 10.6.5 with no mention of AirPrint