or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Foxconn to ship next-gen iPad in next 100 days
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Foxconn to ship next-gen iPad in next 100 days - Page 2

post #41 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiltedGreen View Post

Personally, I Always skip 1st and 2nd generation products from Apple as I know that by the 3rd generation they really will have made a better product. I'm looking for a 3D Retina display, stereo speakers with built-in subwoofer to replace the current tinny sounding setup, at least 500GB of storage and the latest Intel chip from the MacBook Air - boy will this baby scream!

Luckily there are enough mugs around to buy those early versions so that Apple actually sell enough to make it worthwhile to make the one I'm waiting for ...

And it should hover, so I don't have to hold it.
post #42 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I am the same ... I am sure Apple have their reasons but it has always puzzled me why new products emerge just after Christmas each year. I always visited the Mac World shows in San Francisco and remember well that was a massive to product time but now Apple doesn't have that annual event to take into account, I can't help but wonder why they don't move their refresh cycle back a month or two to coincide with the year's largest sales potential period, especially now they are so consumer oriented.

Many reasons not to release new product just before Christmas season:
No time to really market it properly.
Makes initial build too large, too fast AND chances of misjudging demand is too great
Unexpected bug(s)

A product release just before the holiday season has too many factors that could go wrong. Any error could kill the sales for the year and could kill a product that could otherwise be very successful. The holiday season is not the time for guesstimating product demand for a product with no track record. If you make a mistake(s) in the holiday season you ruin sales for the year. Way too risky for a major product release by a major market maker then.

"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." Douglas Adams

Reply

"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." Douglas Adams

Reply
post #43 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBillyGoatGruff View Post

And it should hover, so I don't have to hold it.

good one lol

"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." Douglas Adams

Reply

"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." Douglas Adams

Reply
post #44 of 88
I just want it to be lighter. LOVE my iPad. Bought it on launch day. But it is a tad heavier than I expected.

As for USB, I think that's a little ridiculous. What exactly would you plug into it other than keyboard or flash memory. Nothing. Can you imagine the support issues with people calling Apple asking why their mouse doesn't work when they plug it into their iPad. Why add this port when 99% of devices out there either wouldn't work or just plain wouldn't make sense on a touch-based device? It's not a desktop computer people.
post #45 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by djsherly View Post

Just a question. Do you think Apple are relying on people to undertake a two year upgrade cycle on iPad like they typically do for phones? It would seem to me the iPad updates would be purchased on a less frequent basis, sitting somewhere between phone and computers. I had my Macbook for 4 years before upgrading.

I guess what I'm asking, is that after the initial growth curve for iPad (which we're still in) is the rate of uptake going to be sustained at a similar level to that of iphones and ipod touches?

It costs almost nothing to buy each new model and sell the previous one on Craig's List or EBay. Holding on to a model for 4 years winds up costing the owner a lot more money when they finally upgrade. I think a lot of iPad owners know this and will be buying each new model either as an additional iPad for the family or replacement for the one they have to roll over for one or two hundred dollars less than the cost of the new one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

I bought the first one and love it.

I will also be buying the 2nd version.

Use mine for surfing the net and mail, planning stuff for work, drawing art for work, editing stuff in Pages, making presentations for work, referencing my huge collection of PDFs and of course for the occasional game and movie. Oh, and managing photos, writing music... It is awesome.

Can only imagine these tasks will get even better on the next version.

'Zactly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Yup I think iPad is on a one- or two-yearly cycle, being more of a very new kind of device than a computer. Doesn't matter anyways because in 2011 and 2012 iPhone 4/5/6 and iPad 2/3 is going to be mostly to new users in currently underserved markets.

I think many of us - current owners of both - will continue to upgrade every year. A lot of the buyers will be owners of the previous model who know the resale value of the previous models are nearly the same as or more than (in the case of the iPhone) that of the next model.

Six x 3.5GHz '14 MP, 64GB, 1TB PCIe, 16TB HDs
2.6GHz 6GB 17"HD LED MBP, Sony 52XBR6 HDTV
EyeTV 500, Hybrid 2G, EyeTV 3 HDTV Recorder
64 ATT iPhone 5S, 128 ATT iPad Air, 128 ATT iPad miniRetina, 16...

Reply

Six x 3.5GHz '14 MP, 64GB, 1TB PCIe, 16TB HDs
2.6GHz 6GB 17"HD LED MBP, Sony 52XBR6 HDTV
EyeTV 500, Hybrid 2G, EyeTV 3 HDTV Recorder
64 ATT iPhone 5S, 128 ATT iPad Air, 128 ATT iPad miniRetina, 16...

Reply
post #46 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I am the same ... I am sure Apple have their reasons but it has always puzzled me why new products emerge just after Christmas each year. I always visited the MacWorld Conference & Expo in San Francisco and remember well that was a massive to product time but now Apple doesn't have that annual event to take into account, I can't help but wonder why they don't move their refresh cycle back a month or two to coincide with the year's largest sales potential period, especially now they are so consumer oriented.

Although Apple has stopped attending Macworld Expo as an exhibitor, the show is still being produced each year - this year it's the last week in January 2011. Above post explains why new products aren't introduced in November.

Six x 3.5GHz '14 MP, 64GB, 1TB PCIe, 16TB HDs
2.6GHz 6GB 17"HD LED MBP, Sony 52XBR6 HDTV
EyeTV 500, Hybrid 2G, EyeTV 3 HDTV Recorder
64 ATT iPhone 5S, 128 ATT iPad Air, 128 ATT iPad miniRetina, 16...

Reply

Six x 3.5GHz '14 MP, 64GB, 1TB PCIe, 16TB HDs
2.6GHz 6GB 17"HD LED MBP, Sony 52XBR6 HDTV
EyeTV 500, Hybrid 2G, EyeTV 3 HDTV Recorder
64 ATT iPhone 5S, 128 ATT iPad Air, 128 ATT iPad miniRetina, 16...

Reply
post #47 of 88
2010 and people are still mixing memory and storage. It's not 16GB of memory. Technically storage is a type of memory, but that's not how we describe size/storage capacity.

16GB - storage capacity
256mb - memory
post #48 of 88
Apple should do a specs customization option for iPad 2 like on the laptops and desktops. Faster processor, more memory and storage, USB/HDMI, etc the higher the price. I'm sure a lot people would pay more to get more juice and features and most will be happy with a base model for a lower price.
post #49 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by rain View Post

I passed on the 1st gen. Hope there is something compelling with the 2nd.



Unless it can squirt pink unicorns using Voice Command, the trolls will tell us that it is not good enough.
post #50 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Multimedia View Post

Although Apple has stopped attending Macworld Expo as an exhibitor, the show is still being produced each year - this year it's the last week in January 2011. Above post explains why new products aren't introduced in November.

As I stated in the first sentence, I'm sure Apple has reasons not to release before Christmas and I can see the argument both ways. The argument a new Apple product isn't safe to sell then isn't one I'd buy into to be honest but lost sales due to those of us waiting are only a small fraction I'm sure. BTW I am aware Mac World continues but I stopped going a few years back. The internet kind of made it redundant for me but that's just me. I do miss the atmosphere especially when I had to work in a booth it was fun as was the camaraderie.
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Reply
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Reply
post #51 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

You forgot 3D Blu Ray with Glasses included.

He also forgot the 'beam me up' button
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Reply
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Reply
post #52 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macbook831 View Post

Yes, I always pass on 1st Gen apple products as we all know Apple will bust a move with a better upgrade for the iPad 2. ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiltedGreen View Post

Personally, I Always skip 1st and 2nd generation products from Apple as I know that by the 3rd generation they really will have made a better product. ...

If you rigorously follow this sort of logic, you will never buy any tech product, from any company. The next gen will always be better than the current, so, why buy the 2nd or 3rd? You will always need to wait for the n+1th gen, because it will always be better than the nth. There's irrational, and then there's irrational!
post #53 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

There was a mockup of a MacBook Pro posted a while back that aimed to solve the "It's gotta have this or it's a deal-breaker for me" gripes that was well-done. Hopefully, somebody can do one for the iPad.

...
latte maker

Are we talking superauto, semiautomatic or manual? Personally, I hate the idea of having to carry a bar towel around to wipe down the steam wand. Puck disposal could be a hassle, too.
post #54 of 88
Anyway, not much of a rumor. 100 days from today is March 17th, pretty much a year to the date of the original launch, so more or less on the expected schedule. Was anyone not expecting an iPad 2? Anyone besides DaHarder, that is?
post #55 of 88
I pity the fool who buys one now.
Actually anyone who bought the 1st gen will want to ditch it guaranteed once the 2nd gen comes out. Look at the major changes from the 1st gen iPod Touch and iPhone to the 2nd. All the 1st gen early adopters did was whine and complain constantly once gen 2 arrived.
post #56 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

If you rigorously follow this sort of logic, you will never buy any tech product, from any company. The next gen will always be better than the current, so, why buy the 2nd or 3rd? You will always need to wait for the n+1th gen, because it will always be better than the nth. There's irrational, and then there's irrational!

Not true- the diff between gen1 to gen 2 are always more dramatic.
Just look at the iPhone and iPod touch as examples.
post #57 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by iLiver View Post

I pity the fool who buys one now.
Actually anyone who bought the 1st gen will want to ditch it guaranteed once the 2nd gen comes out. Look at the major changes from the 1st gen iPod Touch and iPhone to the 2nd. All the 1st gen early adopters did was whine and complain constantly once gen 2 arrived.



Apple products improve so rapidly that it makes the most sense to buy them as soon as they come out. Their life cycles are very predictable. If you get stuff within the first week or two, you will have a long useful life. But if you buy it the day before the new one is announced, you'll get less value.
post #58 of 88
I had been saving for a new MB Pro to replace my first gen 1.83 MBP, but have now decided to put that money towards the upcoming iPad release. I work for a large broadcast company and our IT guy has written software that will allow me to access our complete Windows desktops and central servers with VPN on an iPad. I do, though, understand there are challenges on certain programs we use that are more "mouse" based.
post #59 of 88
I wonder if Apple might keep the original iPad around at a discounted price for the K-12 market. I can easily imagine that the K-12 folks might prefer a model that does not have a camera.
post #60 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by iLiver View Post

Not true- the diff between gen1 to gen 2 are always more dramatic.
Just look at the iPhone and iPod touch as examples.

But, the difference between the gen 1 and gen 4 iPhone is even more dramatic. So, it's always better to wait for a future device, which will always be dramatically better. You end up as a sort of technological corollary of Buridan's Ass.

By the way, is this a new iLuv alias?
post #61 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

If you rigorously follow this sort of logic, you will never buy any tech product, from any company. The next gen will always be better than the current, so, why buy the 2nd or 3rd? You will always need to wait for the n+1th gen, because it will always be better than the nth. There's irrational, and then there's irrational!

Absolutely right, hence the final sentence in my post - "Luckily there are enough mugs around to buy those early versions so that Apple actually sell enough to make it worthwhile to make the one I'm waiting for ... "

Maybe I was being too subtle \
post #62 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Takeo View Post

I just want it to be lighter. LOVE my iPad. Bought it on launch day. But it is a tad heavier than I expected.

As for USB, I think that's a little ridiculous. What exactly would you plug into it other than keyboard or flash memory. Nothing. Can you imagine the support issues with people calling Apple asking why their mouse doesn't work when they plug it into their iPad. Why add this port when 99% of devices out there either wouldn't work or just plain wouldn't make sense on a touch-based device? It's not a desktop computer people.

Reducing the weight will be the single most substantial upgrade for the next version and I can pretty much guarantee that Jobs will make a big deal about the weight reduction. After all, weight is really the lone advantage that competing 7" designs could offer and I can assure you that the competition's 10" units will weigh more than the current iPad because with other manufacturers it's all about hitting a particular price point at the expense of design.

But in addition, the next version will have double the memory and generally faster hardware. I doubt, though, that we'll see a significant bump in screen resolution. Not only would that be expensive, it would put more strain on the processor to handle bigger files and more memory would be eaten up by larger files. Not only would media files be larger but apps would have to be adjusted to accommodate the higher res screen. More strain on battery life, too. Lose/Lose all the way around. Pointless.

In time, likely, memory, processing power, battery tech, etc. will have advanced to the point where upping screen resolution will be easy to do but that's a long way off.
post #63 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

But, the difference between the gen 1 and gen 4 iPhone is even more dramatic. So, it's always better to wait for a future device, which will always be dramatically better. You end up as a sort of technological corollary of Buridan's Ass.

By the way, is this a new iLuv alias?

Your response, besides being idiotic, is both sarcastic and accusatory.
Therefore you have been added to my ignore list.
post #64 of 88
I've been waiting for the 2nd gen iPad, just because I told myself I would, but truth is there's not much I want in an update. More RAM is the main thing. I'd like it if 3G became the default and at the Wifi price point. Facetime is likely but I don't really care about video conferencing. Maybe an option with more storage. Maybe the next version of their CPU will debut in the iPad like the A4 did. The iPad is really about the software. I'm interested to see what features iOS 4.x on iPad 2 will have (if any).
post #65 of 88
Oh yeah, lighter and thinner. Weight reduction is really where Apple should concentrate. I think most of the weight comes from the battery and the glass so I'm not sure how they'll do it.
post #66 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiltedGreen View Post

Absolutely right, hence the final sentence in my post - "Luckily there are enough mugs around to buy those early versions so that Apple actually sell enough to make it worthwhile to make the one I'm waiting for ... "

Maybe I was being too subtle \

No, you're still being irrational. The next one will always be better, so you should always continue to wait, according to that logic.
post #67 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by iLiver View Post

Your response, besides being idiotic, is both sarcastic and accusatory.
Therefore you have been added to my ignore list.

I guess I was right about iLiver being iLuv.
post #68 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

I guess I was right about iLiver being iLuv.

WRONG. I should have added that originally rather than let you waste additional space here. I apologize to fellow posters for allowing you to post more dribble.
Now back to my ignore list.
post #69 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by iLiver View Post

WRONG.
Back to my ignore list.

Seems like I was never on it.
post #70 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wurm5150 View Post

Apple should do a specs customization option for iPad 2 like on the laptops and desktops. Faster processor, more memory and storage, USB/HDMI, etc the higher the price. I'm sure a lot people would pay more to get more juice and features and most will be happy with a base model for a lower price.

That train left the station looooong ago.
Most people who want what you do are putting their eggs in the windows or android basket.
Also, what kind of number would you use to define a lot of people and what adjective would you use to describe the number of people who are purchasing ipads?
post #71 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

No, you're still being irrational. The next one will always be better, so you should always continue to wait, according to that logic.

OK, OK - that was exactly the (probably too subtle) point I was trying to make.

What I was gently mocking was the whole "I always wait for 2nd (or 3rd .. or 4th?) gen products before I'll buy anything from Apple" approach. Such an approach relies on their being enough "mugs" who buy the anaemic V1 products from Apple to allow those who are always hanging on for V2 to actually have a V2 product to buy.

As some sage said many, many years back (I think discussing computers or probably any techie gizmo) "If it works it's obsolete".

FYI: I bought Macintosh V1.0 in 1984, iPod V1.0 in 2003 and iPad V1.0 in 2010. I've always tried to do my bit to help out those late adopters so that they actually have something to adopt. Of course what I was asking too is, "Why decide to jump in at V2.0 when if you held on a little longer for V3.0 ... ?
post #72 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Seems like I was never on it.

Don't you hate it when people don't deliver on their promises?
post #73 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

There was a mockup of a MacBook Pro posted a while back that aimed to solve the "It's gotta have this or it's a deal-breaker for me" gripes that was well-done. Hopefully, somebody can do one for the iPad.

?

post #74 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outsider View Post

?


10.5 pounds?
post #75 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor David View Post

Don't you hate it when people don't deliver on their promises?

Especially when they seem to be feeling a bit liverish.
post #76 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by iLiver View Post

WRONG. I should have added that originally rather than let you waste additional space here. I apologize to fellow posters for allowing you to post more dribble.
Now back to my ignore list.

FYI: 'dribble' does not mean what you think it means. I believe the word you want is 'drivel'. Of course, you won't see this since you are ignoring me, but everyone else can have a nice chuckle.
post #77 of 88
as long as they add more magic, in order to make this the most magical iPad yet, i'm in.
post #78 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outsider View Post

?


Totally preposterous; there's no SD card slot.
post #79 of 88
Shut up and go away, you useless, pathetic FUDmonger - Tallest Skil
Reply
Shut up and go away, you useless, pathetic FUDmonger - Tallest Skil
Reply
post #80 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by poke View Post

Oh yeah, lighter and thinner. Weight reduction is really where Apple should concentrate. I think most of the weight comes from the battery and the glass so I'm not sure how they'll do it.

There might be a little weight loss but probably not much in the end. It will be sucked up by the two cameras, the two sets of 3G/lte chipsets, the USB ports, the sd car slot, the gb of ram, the 500 gb ssd and of course the blu-ray drive.

Not to mention the pixie dust and the unicorn horns that make it runn 24/7 for two years without a recharge ( now that is battery life)

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Foxconn to ship next-gen iPad in next 100 days