or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Mobiles, iPod touch killing off Nintendo DS, Sony PSP
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Mobiles, iPod touch killing off Nintendo DS, Sony PSP - Page 3

post #81 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

He didn't allude to it at all. He just stated the facts, which are correct. And you DO care, or you wouldn't have bothered to post several posts on this to me.

And yet again you won't let it go.


Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

It's large enough.

Excellent, do you have a copy of Segas financials by platform? Could you share them for all of us?
post #82 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Owen Meaney View Post

Sadly, Mr. Dilger reads like a shill for Apple and not a journalist trying to report facts.

The reason he reads like one, is because he is one.
post #83 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

It does if your name is John Carmack

Doesn't change the meaning of what was being said.
post #84 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

The reason why this is said about Apple, and it's said in many places, mainly, is because it's leading that charge. You need to see the sales of apps and games on iOS vs that on other platforms such as Android. Well over a billion on iOS and just tens of millions on Android. Perhaps Android will catch at some point. But as of now, they're trailing drastically. There's no one else in sight.

This article, and it's hard to find anything relevant in this area, gives some idea of what we're talking about. Games sales and other apps sales seem to track closely.

http://blog.jwegener.com/2010/05/12/...nload-compare/

Here's one from Larva labs, mentioned in the last article.

http://larvalabs.com/blog/android/an...app-stores-1b/

This is an interesting take.

http://www.fonehome.co.uk/2010/10/26...ndroid-gaming/

I honestly appreciate you pointing out some other statistics and opinions about the mobile gaming industry. I still maintain that the way this article reads is that all gaming is only happening on iOS... and that just seems patently false particularly when you consider activation and browser usage.

http://gs.statcounter.com/#mobile_br...-200911-201011

I want writers to be objective. This article does not present itself that way.
post #85 of 93
[QUOTE=jfanning;1765683]And yet again you won't let it go.[/uote]

I never said that I didn't care what others say, you did. so it's not surprising I'm still here. The question is; why are you?

Quote:
Excellent, do you have a copy of Segas financials by platform? Could you share them for all of us?

Since you made the original claim, that ball is in your court.
post #86 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Owen Meaney View Post

I honestly appreciate you pointing out some other statistics and opinions about the mobile gaming industry. I still maintain that the way this article reads is that all gaming is only happening on iOS... and that just seems patently false particularly when you consider activation and browser usage.

http://gs.statcounter.com/#mobile_br...-200911-201011

I want writers to be objective. This article does not present itself that way.

I don't think he's implying that all gaming is taking place on iOS, but in the mobile space a lot of it is, and as for phone platforms, most of it is. Nintendo said that Apple was their greatest rival. That's not insignificant. They didn't say Sony, or Microsoft.

A few others:

http://www.forbes.com/2009/10/29/nin...partner=alerts

http://www.ipodnn.com/articles/10/07...during.spring/

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13506_3-20...=2547-1_3-0-20
post #87 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

I never said that I didn't care what others say, you did. so it's not surprising I'm still here. The question is; why are you?

Because of people like you and Danial that constantly make claims and will never back them up.


Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Since you made the original claim, that ball is in your court.

I believe it was you that claimed that the iOS was a large part of the Sega operation, like I said, provide the proof.
post #88 of 93
[deleted. sorry! clicked on wrong thread.]
post #89 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

Because of people like you and Danial that constantly make claims and will never back them up.

I often do back up what I say. I don't see you rushing in to back up your claims.

Quote:
I believe it was you that claimed that the iOS was a large part of the Sega operation, like I said, provide the proof.

You believe, but you are wrong. You were the one to begin this "discussion" of Sega, not I.

I've actually have been looking. There doesn't seem to anything either way. The closest i've come is this article, and it just gives hints. I stick to what i'm saying though, because Sega has big hits on the iOS platform since the beginning, and is continuing serious development. Otherwise, it's overall sales are falling by income.
post #90 of 93
Game concept design and hardware evolve in combination over time, with periodic major breaks as some new UI/hardware combo emerges and comes to dominate, and the prior ones fade out gradually. go back to Pong almost 40 years ago and then trace things through the decades ...

right now, for example, with Move and Kinnect joining the Wii breakthrough of three years ago we are seeing a whole new wave of games designed for body motion UI instead of button/toggle UI. sure, some are just adaptations of previous games, but there is also a new generation of game concepts that never would have been possible before. and that is what today's kids are growing up on and will carry forward with them as "normal." whatever was "new" when they were young.

and so it is with portable touchscreen UI devices and games too. Android and others are now joining the iOS breakthrough of just two years ago. a whole new slew of games that would not have been possible on the prior generation of button/toggle UI portable devices - the PSP and DS - have been created and become very popular. this is what's "new" and will soon be "normal" from now on ...

the PSP and DS really can't be adapted for this new dominant generation of portable gaming. sure, they could add touch screens and update their popular games for them. but they will still be "old" in the marketplace and, even worse, their business model - which depended on selling games at high prices - has been totally ruined. the new generation of games cost only 20%-30% of the prior era's.

nothing Sony and Nintendo can do about this. instead they should focus on making their PGP's into ecosystem extensions/controllers for their still-viable game consoles, the PS3 and Wii (which Nintendo desperately needs an HD upgrade for next year).
post #91 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

I often do back up what I say. I don't see you rushing in to back up your claims.

I haven't made any claims, you and Daniel are the ones making the claim, and both of you haven't provided any proof.

Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

You believe, but you are wrong. You were the one to begin this "discussion" of Sega, not I.

No, I think you will find it is Daniel that raised Sega, not me. Then you jumped in defending him, claimed iOS was a major part of their business, I am still waiting on that proof, please provide it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by melgross View Post

I've actually have been looking. There doesn't seem to anything either way. The closest i've come is this article, and it just gives hints. I stick to what i'm saying though, because Sega has big hits on the iOS platform since the beginning, and is continuing serious development. Otherwise, it's overall sales are falling by income.


And I am still waiting...
post #92 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

Well the section where Daniel is trying to allude that Apple was behind Sega dropping the hardware business is trash, especially since Sega made the announcement six years before the iPhone/iPod Touch came out.

Where does Dan "allude" to Apple being behind Sega's decision to drop the Dreamcast?

It's pretty ridiculous for you to imagine arguments out of thin air and then bash them down like so many straw men. Are you really that delusional, or does lying make you feel like a man?
post #93 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archos View Post

Where does Dan "allude" to Apple being behind Sega's decision to drop the Dreamcast?

It's pretty ridiculous for you to imagine arguments out of thin air and then bash them down like so many straw men. Are you really that delusional, or does lying make you feel like a man?

Wow, you don't waste anytime, you start straight out with the abuse. Does that make you feel like a man? Maybe you should read the rest of the thread before you comment on a old thread?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Mobiles, iPod touch killing off Nintendo DS, Sony PSP