or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Does every person own themselves?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Does every person own themselves? - Page 2

Poll Results: Does each person own themselves?

 
  • 72% (8)
    Yes
  • 27% (3)
    No
  • 0% (0)
    I'm not sure
11 Total Votes  
post #41 of 82
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascii View Post

It think in the context it was clear I was referring to objects other than your body.

I know. But you haven't explained why this distinction matters.


Quote:
Originally Posted by ascii View Post

The right not to have physical force initiated against you (the NIF principle as Libertarians would call it). What is it based on? The idea that humans survive by thinking, and violence is antithetical to thought (as Objectivists would say). Not based on "owning" yourself.

Hmmm. Interesting. Can't say I agree, but thanks for giving your reasoning.

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply
post #42 of 82
Rights? Own oneself? Only the government is accountable when it comes to rights. (In theory!!).

The Bill of Rights does not apply in the workplace however. For some people, the workplace, ie the power of who controls the workplace, extends into the homes of employees, in their own time, and their own out-of working-hours lives, as regards certain rights, or the lack thereof.

Considering the fact that most people spend most of their waking hours in the workplace where there is no democratic process, if one is a mere "employee"... (unless the workplace is a worker owned cooperative), then it is quite safe to say that here in the US, we only partially own ourselves... for all practical considerations.

Of course we still are in control of what we think during working hours. However, if biotechnology was developed that enabled the spying on a person's thoughts, one would wonder whether our corporate (or public sector) employers would allow the privacy of those thoughts to remain private, or whether they would abuse this power and lord it over us all to an even greater extent.
"We've never made the case, or argued the case that somehow Osama bin Laden was directly involved in 9/11. That evidence has never been forthcoming". VP Cheney, 3/29/2006. Interview by Tony Snow
Reply
"We've never made the case, or argued the case that somehow Osama bin Laden was directly involved in 9/11. That evidence has never been forthcoming". VP Cheney, 3/29/2006. Interview by Tony Snow
Reply
post #43 of 82
Yes we do but what that means, to me at least, is that we learn what we are, foremost, not take anybody else's version of what we are or are capable of over our own experience.

As citizens, wasn't it the Romans who got the owning by the power that be over the populus fine tuned? I'm not sure myself, but I think they pushed a more legal framework over people than had been the case in many areas.
We are nurturing a nightmare that will haunt our children, and kill theirs.
Reply
We are nurturing a nightmare that will haunt our children, and kill theirs.
Reply
post #44 of 82
One thing not forget here is that we "own" only in a very loose sense of the term. If I own a tree and cut it down and build a house and put wood in the stove, that tree no longer exists. There's smoke there's a house that will rot and nourish the soil. Everything changes.

Given it's mj1970 starting this thread and wanting government to get out of the way of business, let's also not forget that businesses have almost zero respect for tribal peoples rights, go figure.
We are nurturing a nightmare that will haunt our children, and kill theirs.
Reply
We are nurturing a nightmare that will haunt our children, and kill theirs.
Reply
post #45 of 82
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hands Sandon View Post

Given it's mj1970 starting this thread and wanting government to get out of the way of business, let's also not forget that businesses have almost zero respect for tribal peoples rights, go figure.

Huh?

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply
post #46 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ1970 View Post

Huh?

You want people and businesses to have these rights but with their power they take other peoples rights away to make a buck. It's so transparent, it's absurd.
We are nurturing a nightmare that will haunt our children, and kill theirs.
Reply
We are nurturing a nightmare that will haunt our children, and kill theirs.
Reply
post #47 of 82
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hands Sandon View Post

You want people and businesses to have these rights but with their power they take other peoples rights away to make a buck. It's so transparent, it's absurd.

Apparently not transparent enough. Who is taking who's rights away? Do you have any specific examples or instances or merely the vague hand-wave of evil businesses oppressing people?

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply
post #48 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ1970 View Post

Apparently not transparent enough. Who is taking who's rights away? Do you have any specific examples or instances or merely the vague hand-wave of evil businesses oppressing people?

The worlds littered with fine examples. You're connected to the web right?
We are nurturing a nightmare that will haunt our children, and kill theirs.
Reply
We are nurturing a nightmare that will haunt our children, and kill theirs.
Reply
post #49 of 82
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hands Sandon View Post

The worlds littered with fine examples. You're connected to the web right?

I'm not doing the research to support your claim. We'll just have to assume you're simply making the typical vague hand-wave of evil businesses oppressing people.

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply
post #50 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ1970 View Post

I'm not doing the research to support your claim. We'll just have to assume you're simply making the typical vague hand-wave of evil businesses oppressing people.

Businesses are both good and bad which I've said is my opinion repeatedly. You on the other hand...
We are nurturing a nightmare that will haunt our children, and kill theirs.
Reply
We are nurturing a nightmare that will haunt our children, and kill theirs.
Reply
post #51 of 82
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hands Sandon View Post

Businesses are both good and bad which I've said is my opinion repeatedly.

We get that you're making a vague hand-wave here and unwilling to provide support for your claim.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Hands Sandon View Post

You on the other hand...

Me on the other hand what?

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply
post #52 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ1970 View Post

I'm not doing the research to support your claim. We'll just have to assume you're simply making the typical vague hand-wave of evil businesses oppressing people.

Imagine this being deliberate- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uu96STA5BDA
We are nurturing a nightmare that will haunt our children, and kill theirs.
Reply
We are nurturing a nightmare that will haunt our children, and kill theirs.
Reply
post #53 of 82
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hands Sandon View Post

Imagine this being deliberate- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uu96STA5BDA

Now you're asking me to imagine what might happen if something sorta like what your claiming were deliberate?

First, these examples were deliberate. Second, it's unclear from the video whether these are examples ignorance or maliciousness. I'm guessing the latter. There are some things you might not know ex ante and yet we sit here and make judgements ex post. Some good modern day examples would be something like the whole skin cancer, exposure to UV and the sunscreen thing. There's mounting evidence that suggests this problem was greatly oversold and that diminished levels of vitamin D (coming from exposure to the sun and UV) may be causing increasing levels of other cancers and other ailments. A long time ago doctor's were bleeding people with leeches and didn't believe that things like infection bacteria and viruses existed. We know better now.

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply
post #54 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ1970 View Post

Now you're asking me to imagine what might happen if something sorta like what your claiming were deliberate?

First, these examples were deliberate. Second, it's unclear from the video whether these are examples ignorance or maliciousness. I'm guessing the latter. There are some things you might not know ex ante and yet we sit here and make judgements ex post. Some good modern day examples would be something like the whole skin cancer, exposure to UV and the sunscreen thing. There's mounting evidence that suggests this problem was greatly oversold and that diminished levels of vitamin D (coming from exposure to the sun and UV) may be causing increasing levels of other cancers and other ailments. A long time ago doctor's were bleeding people with leeches and didn't believe that things like infection bacteria and viruses existed. We know better now.

Ok, so it would seem so horribly wrong that no one would do such a ghastly thing for profit. I understand, really I do. But look here! (link below) They knew and they cared more for their profits than their workers. I hope in the future when someone points out that a company might be or is, doing something really bad a little light will switch on and you'll think "Of course, radium, the Radium Girls!".



"The luminescent paint used by the women, a product called Undark, had radium as its main ingredient. Workers had been instructed to "point" the brushes by licking them with their mouths.[3] Unbeknownst to the women, the product was highly radioactive and therefore, carcinogenic. The ingestion of the paint by the women, brought about while licking the brushes, resulted in a condition called radium jaw, a painful swelling and porosity of the upper and lower jaws, and ultimately led to the deaths of many of these women.

Radium jaw (Radium necrosis), was allegedly known and initially denied by US Radium's management and scientists working for the company. This was the reason for litigation against US Radium by the so-called Radium girls. The unfavorable publicity generated by reports of illness and death amongst previous dial painters resulted in a drop in potential employees.

Around 1920, a similar dial painting business, a division of the Standard Chemical Company based in Chicago, known as the Radium Dial Company opened in Chicago, but soon moved its dial painting operation to Peru, Illinois to be closer to its major customer, the Westclox Clock Company. Even though several previous workers died and health risks associated with radium were allegedly known, this company continued dial painting operations until 1940, when the operation was moved to New York City.
The chief medical examiner of Essex County, New Jersey published a report in 1925 that identified the radioactive material the women had ingested as the cause of their bone disease and aplastic anemia, and ultimate death.[2]

Illness and death resulting from ingestion of radium paint and the subsequent legal action taken by the women forced closure of the company's Orange facility in 1927. The case was settled out of court in 1928, but not before a substantial number of the litigants were seriously ill or had died from bone cancer and other radiation-related illnesses.[4] The company, it was alleged, were taking too much time to settle the litigation on purpose, leading to further deaths.

In November 1928, Dr. von Sochocky, the inventor of the radium-based paint, died of aplastic anemia resulting from his exposure to the radioactive material, "a victim of his own invention."[5]

The victims were so contaminated that radiation can still be detected at their graves, using a Geiger counter.[3]


The new worker safety laws in the wake of the lawsuit resulted in safety procedures and training for dial painters. Even though radium paint was used extensively during World War II, and was not discontinued until the late 1960s, no more dial painters suffered radium sickness; thus demonstrating how easily preventable was the plight of the "Radium Girls"."
~ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_...um_Corporation
We are nurturing a nightmare that will haunt our children, and kill theirs.
Reply
We are nurturing a nightmare that will haunt our children, and kill theirs.
Reply
post #55 of 82
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hands Sandon View Post

They knew and they cared more for their profits than their workers.

OK. They knew. They pursued profits and violated the rights of individuals. You've now provided an example. Good. And the point of this is? That sometimes people will act in a way that violates the rights of others?

Yes, this does happen. And the one legitimate purpose for government would be to protect the rights of people. However, governments actually rarely do this or, often, engage in the violations of rights to a greater degree than protecting them. I would also contend that if you added up all of that deaths (and injuries) that have resulted from private businesses acting deliberately and negligently, you'd be hard pressed to get a total anywhere close to the deaths that have been caused by governments (or business acting under the protection of governments) acting deliberately and negligently. Governments are a greater threat to human rights than private enterprises.

1, 2, 3, 4

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply
post #56 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ1970 View Post

OK. They knew. They pursued profits and violated the rights of individuals. You've now provided an example. Good. And the point of this is? That sometimes people will act in a way that violates the rights of others?

Yes, this does happen. And the one legitimate purpose for government would be to protect the rights of people. However, governments actually rarely do this or, often, engage in the violations of rights to a greater degree than protecting them. I would also contend that if you added up all of that deaths (and injuries) that have resulted from private businesses acting deliberately and negligently, you'd be hard pressed to get a total anywhere close to the deaths that have been caused by governments (or business acting under the protection of governments) acting deliberately and negligently. Governments are a greater threat to human rights than private enterprises.

1, 2, 3, 4

Democide isn't applicable to Native American's then in your view? Surely it was just as evil what was done to the NA's?

Sure would be nice to know what they're up to, especially in the UK-
"Pharmaceutical companies took their studies abroad. In 2010, the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services reported that 40 percent to 65 percent of clinical studies are now done outside the United States. Less than 1 percent of those are ever inspected by U.S. regulators."- But I bet they're still doing all kinds of things behind the scenes still in the US that never get "inspected".
We are nurturing a nightmare that will haunt our children, and kill theirs.
Reply
We are nurturing a nightmare that will haunt our children, and kill theirs.
Reply
post #57 of 82
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hands Sandon View Post

Democide isn't applicable to Native American's then in your view?

That's a very interesting implication you've made there. Where have I said, claimed or even implied such a thing? Or is this merely an attempt to shift the subject and make it look like I'm being hypocritical about the subject?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Hands Sandon View Post

Sure would be nice to know what they're up to, especially in the UK-
"Pharmaceutical companies took their studies abroad. In 2010, the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services reported that 40 percent to 65 percent of clinical studies are now done outside the United States. Less than 1 percent of those are ever inspected by U.S. regulators."- But I bet they're still doing all kinds of things behind the scenes still in the US that never get "inspected".

Well we know what's happening in the U.S.

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply
post #58 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ1970 View Post

That's a very interesting implication you've made there. Where have I said, claimed or even implied such a thing? Or is this merely an attempt to shift the subject and make it look like I'm being hypocritical about the subject?




Well we know what's happening in the U.S.

I used to date a great grand daughter (or thereabouts) of the founder of Beecham Powders who's son was the better known Sir Thomas Beecham. The name Beecham was dropped in some merger fairly recently. He went from a small premises to a big company.

It appears from your link that people who take the vaccine are paying a tax to cover the liabilities therefore bypassing anyone, especially the companies from being criminally negligent. I can't help wandering what happens to the money when it's not spent. Is someone gaining interest on that money and diverting it somewhere else? Looks bad anyway. I can see these companies not caring about the risks when they've nothing to lose, just the opposite.
We are nurturing a nightmare that will haunt our children, and kill theirs.
Reply
We are nurturing a nightmare that will haunt our children, and kill theirs.
Reply
post #59 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hands Sandon View Post

Democide isn't applicable to Native American's then in your view? Surely it was just as evil what was done to the NA's?

Sure would be nice to know what they're up to, especially in the UK-
"Pharmaceutical companies took their studies abroad. In 2010, the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services reported that 40 percent to 65 percent of clinical studies are now done outside the United States. Less than 1 percent of those are ever inspected by U.S. regulators."- But I bet they're still doing all kinds of things behind the scenes still in the US that never get "inspected".

Doing a clinical trial in the US is difficult and expensive. I wouldn't say "they're still doing all kinds of things behind the scenes still in the US that never get 'inspected'".

I actually do clinical trials for devices and can tell you the companies I work with have take their trials to other countries because it's cheaper. They can do the same trial with same level of ethics and respect for the participant for far less money overseas.
post #60 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloorJack View Post

Doing a clinical trial in the US is difficult and expensive. I wouldn't say "they're still doing all kinds of things behind the scenes still in the US that never get 'inspected'".

I actually do clinical trials for devices and can tell you the companies I work with have take their trials to other countries because it's cheaper. They can do the same trial with same level of ethics and respect for the participant for far less money overseas.

Well you can't argue there isn't good cause for being suspicious that there may be.

I'm sure there's a mixed bag of companies out there, some very ethical and some less so-

"Pfizer’s Trovan clinical trial-

In early 1996, an epidemic of bacterial meningitis broke out in the state of Kano, Nigeria. Bacterial meningitis is an infection of the meninges (the membranes around the central nervous system) that is diagnosed by the presence of infectious material and other changes within the cerebrospinal fluid, and if not properly treated, can result in hearing loss, brain damage, or death. However, with early diagnosis and treatment, the risk of death is less than 15%. Doctors Without Borders/Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF), a nonprofit humanitarian organization, arrived in Kano shortly after the initial outbreak to provide humanitarian and medical aid. The organization began to treat the victims of the outbreak with the intravenous form of chloramphenicol, a WHO-endorsed generic antibiotic for bacterial meningitis in low-income countries.

Within six weeks of hearing about the epidemic, Pfizer drew up a plan to test an oral form of the antibiotic trovafloxacin, trade-named Trovan, on the children in the Kano clinic. If the oral form of Trovan could be shown to be as effective as the intravenous antibiotics were for children, it would be a tremendous “breakthrough in battling epidemics” worldwide.

Children could simply swallow a pill rather than receive injections that increase the risk of blood-borne diseases, such as HIV and hepatitis. Further, a pill would remove the need for skilled healthcare workers to administer the treatment. Wall Street analysts predicted that, if the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) approved the oral form, it would be a US$1 billion blockbuster drug.

On April 3, 1996, Pfizer’s team of physicians arrived in Nigeria to conduct clinical trials on children infected with bacterial meningitis. Nigerian officials authorized Pfizer to conduct the testing in two wards of the Infectious Disease Hospital. Pfizer selected two hundred sick children from the many children who were awaiting treatment, divided the children into two groups, and treated one group with Trovan. The other group of children was “purposefully ‘low-dosed’” with ceftriaxone, an FDA-approved drug. According to Pfizer protocol, the children were supposed to have their blood tested at the point when they were diagnosed and entered into the trial and again after five days of treatment. If a child was not responding well to Trovan, protocol required switching the child’s medication to ceftriaxone. According to an internal Pfizer document, however, this plan for follow-up blood testing was generally abandoned “due to the shortage of medical staff.”

As a result, Pfizer did not analyze the children’s blood samples and therefore could not determine those cases in which the medication was not an effective treatment until the child manifested visible and often permanent impairment.


Pfizer protocol required injecting ceftriaxone into the subject’s vein or muscle. Again, due to the shortage of skilled workers, the drug was usually injected into the child’s buttocks or thighs (i.e., muscle injections) to save staff time and trouble. The shots were severely painful, leading to reports of “great fear and sometimes dangerous struggles with children.”

To lessen the pain after initial injections, the report indicated, researchers reduced the amount of antibiotic given to children who were improving to one-third of the recommended amount. Pfizer maintained that the reduced dose was more than sufficient. The drug’s manufacturer, Hoffmann-La Roche, however, reported that the reductions could have lowered the drug’s efficacy and skewed any comparison to Trovan. There is also evidence that Pfizer failed to switch to standard therapy the children who were receiving Trovan but not showing any signs of improvement. This breach in standard protocol allegedly led to severe brain damage or death for several children.

The requirement of informed consent from either children or their guardians is part of Pfizer’s protocol and is also found clearly stated in a number of related international documents; these include the international human subject protections contained in the Nuremberg Code, the Helsinki Declaration, Article 7 of the International Convent on Civil and Political Rights (ICCPR), guidelines by the Council for International Organization of Medical Services (CIOMS), and certain WHO guidelines.

However, Pfizer could not produce any evidence that its staff had informed the children’s parents that the proposed treatment was experimental, that they could refuse it, that serious risks were involved, or that other organizations at the same site offered more conventional treatments for free. In addition, Pfizer failed to follow its own protocol that required staff to offer or read documents to participants in either English or Hausa to facilitate their informed consent. When interviewed later, many of the patients and their parents claimed that they did not know they were participating in an experimental drug trial. Pfizer described the lapse as a procedural error, but stressed in a written statement that “verbal consent was obtained.”

After spending two weeks in the Kano camp conducting tests, Pfizer withdrew its personnel without administering any post-trial care. Five children who received Trovan and six children to whom Pfizer had administered a low dose of Ceftriaxone died. Others suffered blindness, deafness, and paralysis. While US medical guidelines recommend that meningitis experiments include long-term follow-up, Pfizer’s clinical trial protocol made no mention of the need for long-term monitoring.

In 2001, the families of the dead and injured children filed suit against Pfizer under the Alien Tort Statute (ATS) for violating a norm of “customary international law prohibiting medical experimentation on non-consenting human subjects.”

Specifically, Pfizer was sued for violating the principle of informed consent, refusing to provide the best treatment available when it supplied low doses of the drug approved by the FDA and when it failed to monitor the progress of the children in the study, and for its decision to conduct a trial using a medication that is known to cause liver damage in children. What the families soon learned however — and arguably what Pfizer had known all along — is that neither international nor US law provided redress against American companies for human rights violations committed abroad."
~ http://www.hhrjournal.org/index.php/...rticle/200/297
We are nurturing a nightmare that will haunt our children, and kill theirs.
Reply
We are nurturing a nightmare that will haunt our children, and kill theirs.
Reply
post #61 of 82
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hands Sandon View Post

Well you can't argue there isn't good cause for being suspicious that there may be.

Sure you can. In fact, what you're trying to do is what's called an argument from ignorance. This argument (fallacy) suggests that something is true (e.g., pharm companies are doing clinical trials outside the US in order to avoid any oversight and to hide things because they are evil) because it has not been proven false.

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply
post #62 of 82
Argument from ignorance. Isn't that every argument for religion? Hypocrite.

 

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
Reply

 

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
Reply
post #63 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by BR View Post

Argument from ignorance. Isn't that every argument for religion? Hypocrite.

No it is not.
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
Reply
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
Reply
post #64 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoahJ View Post

No it is not.

Well of course you'd say that.

 

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
Reply

 

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
Reply
post #65 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by BR View Post

Well of course you'd say that.

And Vice versa...
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
Reply
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
Reply
post #66 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoahJ View Post

And Vice versa...

Except I don't drink the Kool-Aid.

 

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
Reply

 

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
Reply
post #67 of 82
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BR View Post

Argument from ignorance. Isn't that every argument for religion? Hypocrite.

Possibly. What does that have to do with this? Why am I a hypocrite?

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply
post #68 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by BR View Post

Except I don't drink the Kool-Aid.

Nope , you have your own special blend.
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
Reply
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
Reply
post #69 of 82
Yup. Science & Reason. Mmm, goes down smoothly.

 

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
Reply

 

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
Reply
post #70 of 82
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BR View Post

Yup. Science & Reason. Mmm, goes down smoothly.

Care to back up your accusation of my hypocrisy with some "Science & Reason*"?

*I notice that you leave the Science & Reason at home when it comes to analyzing and understanding the economic realities of the world.

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply
post #71 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by BR View Post

Yup. Science & Reason. Mmm, goes down smoothly.

Then what is that other part it gets mixed with that causes you to feel the need to spit it at those you disagree with here. There is more to it than science and reason. It goes deeper than that.
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
Reply
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
Reply
post #72 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoahJ View Post

Then what is that other part it gets mixed with that causes you to feel the need to spit it at those you disagree with here. There is more to it than science and reason. It goes deeper than that.

I see people on this forum kicking babies and and stomping on grandmothers. That pisses me off. I'm not going to pull my punches when I see that happening.

You take the sink or swim conservative agenda to the logical conclusion and the end result is death by drowning for those who, for whatever reason, can't make it on their own. AND PEOPLE ON THIS FORUM TAKE PRIDE IN THAT POINT OF VIEW. It's absolutely abhorrent. Definitively disgusting. Undeniable unconscionable.

So, do I make some toxic comments? Certainly. More people should. More people should look at the actions of conservatives and let loose (through words, certainly not violence) a torrent of vitriol. Tolerance of intolerance needs to come to an abrupt end. This idea that everyone's opinion is somehow equally valid needs to come to an abrupt end. Evolution is real. Global climate change is real. Widespread poverty is real.

Face facts, show some compassion, or fuck you.

 

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
Reply

 

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
Reply
post #73 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by BR View Post

I see people on this forum kicking babies and and stomping on grandmothers. That pisses me off. I'm not going to pull my punches when I see that happening.

You take the sink or swim conservative agenda to the logical conclusion and the end result is death by drowning for those who, for whatever reason, can't make it on their own. AND PEOPLE ON THIS FORUM TAKE PRIDE IN THAT POINT OF VIEW. It's absolutely abhorrent. Definitively disgusting. Undeniable unconscionable.

So, do I make some toxic comments? Certainly. More people should. More people should look at the actions of conservatives and let loose (through words, certainly not violence) a torrent of vitriol. Tolerance of intolerance needs to come to an abrupt end. This idea that everyone's opinion is somehow equally valid needs to come to an abrupt end. Evolution is real. Global climate change is real. Widespread poverty is real.

Face facts, show some compassion, or f you.

I agree that people should not tolerate many things. However, responding in kind only makes you what you claim to hate, and then we come back around to the word again. Hypocrite. Only, in your case, you are standing for what is right. They are just bastards who don't deserve common courtesy. \
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
Reply
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
Reply
post #74 of 82
Incorrect. I do not become what I claim to hate. I claim to hate those who would rather see someone's family in ruins after the father gets cancer and is faced with the choice of getting treatment or his kid still having a college fund. Calling out those who show no compassion for that family as the pieces of human garbage that they are does not suddenly turn me into those I despise.

There isn't enough anger from the left. And there's a lot to be angry about. The left should be fucking pissed. The left should be so fucking pissed that they protest until election day 2012 and come out in unprecedented droves.

 

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
Reply

 

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
Reply
post #75 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoahJ View Post

I agree that people should not tolerate many things. However, responding in kind only makes you what you claim to hate, and then we come back around to the word again. Hypocrite. Only, in your case, you are standing for what is right. They are just bastards who don't deserve common courtesy. \

Seems ironic in the light of your sig Noah to talk of courtesy in the context of wrongdoing.

Just like Jesus in the temple.

Like his savage denouncement of the Pharisees.

Like the cursing of the fig tree.
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
Reply
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
Reply
post #76 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by BR View Post

I see people on this forum kicking babies and and stomping on grandmothers. That pisses me off. I'm not going to pull my punches when I see that happening.

You take the sink or swim conservative agenda to the logical conclusion and the end result is death by drowning for those who, for whatever reason, can't make it on their own. AND PEOPLE ON THIS FORUM TAKE PRIDE IN THAT POINT OF VIEW. It's absolutely abhorrent. Definitively disgusting. Undeniable unconscionable.

So, do I make some toxic comments? Certainly. More people should. More people should look at the actions of conservatives and let loose (through words, certainly not violence) a torrent of vitriol. Tolerance of intolerance needs to come to an abrupt end. This idea that everyone's opinion is somehow equally valid needs to come to an abrupt end. Evolution is real. Global climate change is real. Widespread poverty is real.

Face facts, show some compassion, or fuck you.

Brilliant....

I am sick of people not telling it like it is.... we need more 'toxic comments'..

I'm with you man 100%....
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
Reply
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
Reply
post #77 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by segovius View Post

Right...like Jesus in the temple.

Like his savage denouncement of the Pharisees.

Like the cursing of the fig tree.

Right....common courtesy....

Checkmate.

 

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
Reply

 

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
Reply
post #78 of 82
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BR View Post

I see people on this forum kicking babies and and stomping on grandmothers.

You do? Who? Where?


Quote:
Originally Posted by BR View Post

You take the sink or swim conservative agenda to the logical conclusion and the end result is death by drowning for those who, for whatever reason, can't make it on their own. AND PEOPLE ON THIS FORUM TAKE PRIDE IN THAT POINT OF VIEW.

Oh I see now. This is merely your characterization of other people's views that disagree with your own. Got it.


Quote:
Originally Posted by BR View Post

Tolerance of intolerance needs to come to an abrupt end. This idea that everyone's opinion is somehow equally valid needs to come to an abrupt end.

I agree.

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply
post #79 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by BR View Post

Checkmate.

Not even close. You claim to know what others are thinking and their motivations when all you have is the post on a forum and your personal opinions of "conservatives" to go on. You hav snot met them in person, walked by their side, or seen them in their day to day lives. If you really think that is enough to act as you do towards a basic stranger. And yes, you do act that way to people who have only posted once or twice. Then you have lost any moral high ground that you are trying to afford yourself.

Segovius, how exactly do those instnaces compare to BR's verbal assaults on this forum? Where is the moral equivalence you are trying to draw?
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
Reply
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
Reply
post #80 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoahJ View Post

Segovius, how exactly do those instnaces compare to BR's verbal assaults on this forum? Where is the moral equivalence you are trying to draw?

Simply because if one can be objective - ie leave out any concepts of 'God', morality and absolutist right and wrong - then what you have is two people who are pointing out things which are, in their opinion, 'wrong' and doing so in a manner which is deemed to be unacceptable.

I wonder if you lived in 1st century Palestine, were not a Christian and had never heard of Christ but your first introduction was reports of some agitator smashing up the sacred tables in the Temple and hitting people with whips- I really wonder what side you would take.

Or...to stretch it further, if you a good religious person of the day and were in the crowd when the freedom was offered to either Barabbas or the blaspheming Jesus who you would shout for.

It's all very well in retrospect but the winners write history - and rewrite it.

The fact is that the Christ story is played out every single day. All the Bible stories are - that's the whole point.

And it's usually the religious who are the 'bad guys' and the 'bad guys' pointing out the sin.

But Jesus knew all that anyway - which is why he got nailed up - maybe read the Good Samaritan (today would be the 'good Muslim' I suppose) or the feast where only the poor turned up.

I think the equivalence is pretty clear if you don't imagine BR to be divine or anything.
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
Reply
What is Faith? When your good deed pleases you and your evil deed grieves you, you are a believer. What is Sin? When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up - Prophet Muhammad
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Does every person own themselves?