or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Apple set to release Lion, new MacBook Airs as soon as Wednesday

Apple set to release Lion, new MacBook Airs as soon as Wednesday - Page 2

post #41 of 106
I am excited but what if all apps don't work. Will people wait?

I cannot risk having no Adobe CS5 on my computer
post #42 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by OriginalG View Post

Apparently this news has sent Apple stock soaring according to the AI ticker: "AAPL: 505,545,728.00 ( +0.01"

hoping this and earnings tomorrow will get us to $400+

$505 million? Man, I was hoping to pick up some stock soon, but maybe not...

When people see that picture, doesn't it make you think of Mac OS X 10.7 Aslan?

Okay, serious question now: I had heard something about being able to make a bootable installer on an SD card instead of a DVD - does anyone know if that's really possible and how it would be done?
post #43 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by moustache View Post

Ditto.....I now cant wait for that slim machine on wed (...thurs..... fri...)
[pls have 4gb of RAM]
http://www.flickr.com/photos/allanmichael/
iPhone 4S, iPad 3 WiFi, 80gb ipod,5G nano, 3G shuffle, 4 shuffles, '11 MBA 13", macmini 2.26, iMac QC i5 27"
http://www.flickr.com/photos/allanmichael/
iPhone 4S, iPad 3 WiFi, 80gb ipod,5G nano, 3G shuffle, 4 shuffles, '11 MBA 13", macmini 2.26, iMac QC i5 27"
post #44 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple as early as Wednesday will launch two highly anticipated products: Mac OS X 10.7 Lion and new Thunderbolt-equipped MacBook Airs, AppleInsider has learned.

Or as late as some time in the future... This is beyond annoying at this point...
It's clear no one has any clue what Apple is doing...
post #45 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jensonb View Post

That's what people said last week! Why can't Apple just go on the record and give us a day? It's got to be out within two weeks anyway, just narrow it down Apple.

Probably because they don't know. With the download-only model, they can work up to the day before release. They may still be fixing bugs reported from the GM build.

In the past, they had to ship it to CD duplicators and packaging, so they could announce ahead of time and offer pre-orders. Now, then can just release it when it's ready. There's no time to pre-announce.
post #46 of 106
Sick of these space-filling articles. If AI's pattern holds true, tomorrow there should be an article titled, "Apple set to release Lion, new MacBook Airs as soon as tomorrow," right?

And I assume Thursday's will be, "Apple released Lion, new MacBook Airs yesterday."
post #47 of 106
Quote:

CS5 works fine on Lion.

Use Carbon Copy Cloner to backup your existing installation to an external drive (if you have one big enough, also FW800 makes it nice if you have to boot and run the old OS from it).

I did this before doing a scratch install on my iMac. Not needed to boot from the external drive as everything is working fine on the GM.
post #48 of 106
I've been waiting for Lion for ages now, I'm getting irritable waiting for it. :I

Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

1) By default the user's Library folder is hidden in Lion. Using Terminal you can either show all hidden files all the time:
Code:

defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles TRUE

but that is an ugly solution, or you can just unhide the Library folder:
Code:

chflags nohidden ~/Library/

Or you could not edit anything and just use the open command.
Code:

open $home/Library

Shove that in a clickable .command file and you're good to go. No editing needed.

... at night.

... at night.

post #49 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by irnchriz View Post

CS5 works fine on Lion.

Use Carbon Copy Cloner to backup your existing installation to an external drive (if you have one big enough, also FW800 makes it nice if you have to boot and run the old OS from it).

I did this before doing a scratch install on my iMac. Not needed to boot from the external drive as everything is working fine on the GM.

Rather than copying it over and risk CS5 freaking out over a new OS, just deactivate CS5 before installation. Re-Install and Re-activate. Its a much safer option and Adobe's systems are updated when you re-activate showing that you are an OS 10.7 user.

... at night.

... at night.

post #50 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by benanderson89 View Post

Code:

open $home/Library

Shove that in a clickable .command file and you're good to go. No editing needed.

Or you could edit stuff and have a regular folder like normal people.
post #51 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by arterivir View Post

not true, Lion GM runs perfect on my Intel Core 2 Duo (2,13) macbook air with 2GB or RAM

Yes, but for fanbois the minimum is 4GB of pure overpriced Apple RAM... anything less and you're a fool in the eyes of iFools
post #52 of 106
Quote:

Code:

open $home/Library

I put "open $home/Library" into Spotlight and my Library didn't appear¡ Take another look at what changing the flags does for those that use a GUI for accessing the bulk of our data.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #53 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by arterivir View Post

not true, Lion GM runs perfect on my Intel Core 2 Duo (2,13) macbook air with 2GB or RAM

How does it run in comparison to Snow Leopard? I have a Mini - the last of the white-top models (2.53 ghz, 4 gigs of ram) and I'm dying to get Lion, but I'm worried about how it will run Aperture 3, which is a resources hog and can be frustratingly slow on my Mini, even with 4 gigs of ram.
post #54 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson1 View Post

Personally, I doubt it. I believe the offer is for all apps *purchased* through the Mac App store.

Lion is only available through MAS so the up to date users will be purchasing it, using a redemption code.

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

post #55 of 106
Quote:

I put "open $home/Library" into Spotlight and my Library didn't appear¡ Take another look at what changing the flags does for those that use a GUI for accessing the bulk of our data.

Terminal, not spotlight.

Put the following into an executable command file:
Code:

#!/bin/bash
open $home/Library

I use a command file to run the UNIX cleanup scripts.

Make said file executable with the chmod command and viola. No need to edit anything and you still have full access to the Library folder via the Finder with a double click. Change the second line to include the sudo command and you've also got root privileges to the folder. Folder stays hidden, you get root privileges and tada! You can also use the open command to gain access to UNIX system folders via the Finder as well.

Works wonders if you want to edit, lets say, Apache2 files via the GUI.

... at night.

... at night.

post #56 of 106
Quote:

Terminal, not spotlight.
image: http://www.box.net/shared/static/7tj...1gffkag1k4.png

Put the following into an executable command file:
Code:

#!/bin/bash
open $home/Library

Make said file executable with the chmod command and viola. No need to edit anything and you still have full access to the Library folder via the Finder. Change the second line to include the sudo command and you've also got root privileges to the folder. Folder stays hidden, you get root privileges and tada! You can also use the open command to gain access to UNIX system folders via the Finder as well.
image: http://www.box.net/shared/static/t4u...rhbgcmro6i.png

Works wonders if you want to edit, lets say, Apache2 files via the GUI.

1) Note the sarcmark (¡) I included in my previous post.

2) Note the part of your post I highlighted. Changing the flags unhides the ~/Library folder so you can see and access it via Finder after a single and simple entry in Terminal, not a repeated rigamarole.

3) If you want to keep your ~/Library folder hidden in Finder so be it, but I can't for a second fathom why you are arguing against a simple fix to restore ~/Library access to the way it's worked in Finder since Mac OS X was first released.
post #57 of 106
Quote:

1) Note the sarcmark (¡) I included in my previous post.

2) Note the part of your post I highlighted. Changing the flags unhides the ~/Library folder so you can see and access it via Finder after a single and simple entry in Terminal, not a repeated rigamarole.

3) If you want to keep your ~/Library folder hidden in Finder so be it, but I can't for a second fathom why you are arguing against a simple fix to restore ~/Library access to the way it's worked in Finder since Mac OS X was first released.

The sarc mark is a new one to me. I just stick with rolling eyes and using a sarcasm XML tag.

Its just a nice clean way to open files without editing anything. You still get access to everything from the Finder via A COMMAND FILE, you don't have to open the terminal every single time, and I wasn't arguing - I'm simply showing another method. Don't get so defensive - Its like I just insulted your mother or something

... at night.

... at night.

post #58 of 106
Quote:

Don't get so defensive - Its like I just insulted your mother or something

My mother can handle herself.
post #59 of 106
Quote:

My mother can handle herself.

Nice to know not everyone on the Internet is a pile of pent up rage

... at night.

... at night.

post #60 of 106
Quote:

There are reports floating about of CS5 users running it on the Lion GM (actually, also on various betas, too).
post #61 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmissimo View Post

I'm planning to buy a Mac Pro when the new model is released in a few weeks. I am retaining my Mac Mini attached to a 32-inch LCD, i.e. using it both as a media device and as a spare computer.

My question is, when Lion comes out later this week, should I spend the $30 on the new software for the Mini or will I be able to update the Mini to Lion using the discs provided with the new Mac Pro.

If you PURCHASE Lion for one computer -- it will be available for 5 of them in your household -- it's considered a family purchase.

However, your computer needs to be running Snow Lion with the App store for the time being -- as Lion will only be available as an App Store install. I haven't heard about DVD-based options yet.
post #62 of 106
Too funny, last week they said that tuesday, then thursday, now it's this wednessday...
post #63 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeph View Post

Too funny, last week they said that tuesday, then thursday, now it's this wednessday...

Gotta love the [BREAKING] tag on the rumor headline, too.
post #64 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fake_William_Shatner View Post

However, your computer needs to be running Snow Lion...

There's a... man on the... wing of the... plane!

Quote:
I haven't heard about DVD-based options yet.

Because there won't be any.
post #65 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleGreen View Post

If MacBook Airs come with 4GB RAM as standard, then the next refresh of the Mac mini and the white MacBook should also come with 4GB RAM as minimum. All Macs will need at least 4GB to run Lion.

Not questioning your point but I wonder why 4GB is necessary to run Lion?
post #66 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by benanderson89
code:
open $home/Library

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Or you could edit stuff and have a regular folder like normal people.

Or you could obey His Jobsness, and leave the damn library alone?
15" uMacbook Pro 2.4Ghz 8GB 128GB SSD/500GB 7200rpm, iMac 27" i5 16GB 1TB, MacBook Air 8GB 256GB, iPhone 5s 64GB, iPhone 4 32GB, iPad 4 64GB, Apple TV2/3, iPod Nano 2nd gen, iPod Touch 4th gen,...
15" uMacbook Pro 2.4Ghz 8GB 128GB SSD/500GB 7200rpm, iMac 27" i5 16GB 1TB, MacBook Air 8GB 256GB, iPhone 5s 64GB, iPhone 4 32GB, iPad 4 64GB, Apple TV2/3, iPod Nano 2nd gen, iPod Touch 4th gen,...
post #67 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by LighteningKid View Post

Okay, serious question now: I had heard something about being able to make a bootable installer on an SD card instead of a DVD - does anyone know if that's really possible and how it would be done?

It's a pretty easy process. I've done it and the flash drive worked fine on another Mac. Here's the instructions I used:

http://osxdaily.com/2011/07/08/make-...b-flash-drive/
post #68 of 106
Here is a link on making Lion Bootable off a USB stick. Hope this helps

post #69 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2oh1 View Post

How does it run in comparison to Snow Leopard? I have a Mini - the last of the white-top models (2.53 ghz, 4 gigs of ram) and I'm dying to get Lion, but I'm worried about how it will run Aperture 3, which is a resources hog and can be frustratingly slow on my Mini, even with 4 gigs of ram.

I have Aperture but it's one of my least-used apps, so I can't give you a comparison. If you could propose a test I could run it on my Mini, which is an early 2009 model, 2.26 GHz, 4 GB so it's even older than yours. I've got a Lion GM OS running. Send me a PM if you like and I'll set up your test and report the results.

Edit: I just fired up Aperture and imported a dozen photos, did a bit of a crop here, changed hue there, and I didn't notice any sluggishness at all.
post #70 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by shenkes View Post

Here is a link on making Lion Bootable off a USB stick. Hope this helps

Great minds and all that...
post #71 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecphorizer View Post

It's a pretty easy process. I've done it and the flash drive worked fine on another Mac. Here's the instructions I used:

That's what I was looking for; perfect, thanks. It says in the comments to the article that it will work just as well with an SD card, too. So now it looks like we have 3 options for restore disks.
post #72 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecphorizer View Post

Not questioning your point but I wonder why 4GB is necessary to run Lion?

He's wrong, 2GB is the listed minimum. THough Apple appears to have excised any reference to it from their own Lion Pages.

MacBook Pro 15" | Intel Core2 Duo 2.66GHz | 320GB HDD | OS X v10.9
Black/Space Grey iPad Air with Wi-Fi & LTE | 128GB | On 4GEE
White iPhone 5 | 64GB | On 3UK

MacBook Pro 15" | Intel Core2 Duo 2.66GHz | 320GB HDD | OS X v10.9
Black/Space Grey iPad Air with Wi-Fi & LTE | 128GB | On 4GEE
White iPhone 5 | 64GB | On 3UK

post #73 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jensonb View Post

Just putting a date on it won't lower publicity.

But they have put a date on it, July 2011, just it may not be to your desired level of precision.
I'd rather they spent their time fixing any last minute bumps than they shovel out poor software to meet some arbitrary deadline.
Besides, it's not as if Windows 8 is launching at the same time, or indeed, same year!
post #74 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by raywkf View Post

Will this new mac book air launch worldwide at the same time or just US for the moment?

I believe Apple launches its new Macs globally on the same day, this was true when I purchased my Aluminium Unibody Macbook in 2008 and to my belief has been the case since.
post #75 of 106
Is Front Row still in Lion? Anyone running the Golden Master can respond?
post #76 of 106
So will Mountain Lion come out in 2013 or 2014?
post #77 of 106
Quote:

Apple as early as Wednesday will launch two highly anticipated products: Mac OS X 10.7 Lion and new Thunderbolt-equipped MacBook Airs, AppleInsider has learned.

I reckon they will come out on the 21st of July, or the 22nd. If those dates come and go and there is no sign of Mac OS X 10.7 Lion or the new MacBook Airs I reckon on the 29th of July will be the final date for them to come out.

Quote:

CNet reported that Apple planned to update both the Mac Pro and Mac mini either at the end of July or the first week of August. The Mac mini was last refreshed in June 2010, while the Mac Pro was last updated a month later, in July.

If this source is true..I can't wait till there are new Mac Mini's.
post #78 of 106
Quote:

Apple states "At least 2GB of RAM" which I think falls within all the 64-bit Macs they've sold. I'm with you, I don't understand why people think Macs yet unreleased are the new minimum in HW requirements for an OS designed to run on HW from 2007. Makes no sense.

A long, long time ago, I can still remember .....

My entry level iMac 20 inch 2.0 GHz came with just 1 GB of RAM, back in November, 2007. Of course it came with Tiger as the primary OS, and the Apple Store dudes slit open the box to drop in a Leopard upgrade DVD. Leopard was content with 512 MB, so I was fine. I think it makes perfect sense to anticipate 4 GB as a minimum, unless of course, it is also the maximum. Then Apple just gave away profit from an upgrade.
post #79 of 106
Quote:

Here is a list of app compatibility with Lion. I am sure many current versions will get updates to run on Lion.
post #80 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by iLad View Post

Is Front Row still in Lion? Anyone running the Golden Master can respond?

Gone. Finito. Kaputsky.

Buy an Apple TV.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Apple set to release Lion, new MacBook Airs as soon as Wednesday