or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Google rushing out Android 4 "Ice Cream Sandwich" to counter iPhone 5
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Google rushing out Android 4 "Ice Cream Sandwich" to counter iPhone 5 - Page 2

post #41 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

How did I know who wrote this story before I even read it?



Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Google would be far better off actually engineering a stable and innovative OS. Instead it looks like the industry will get another clunky unstable version of Android. Here is hoping HP can actually make headway with WebOS.

HP made the same rush to market mistake. The 3.02 version is reputed and reported to be a notably better user experience, but 98% of the mediocre reviews are of the first to market 3.0 units.

I will give Google credit for the worst code/release names of OS's ever, tho. Thankfully, I will not ever have to explain someone that I'm running "ice cream sandwich."

An iPhone, a Leatherman and thou...  ...life is complete.

Reply

An iPhone, a Leatherman and thou...  ...life is complete.

Reply
post #42 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

One reason could be they don't care too much about Android. But that doesn't make sense because they do care about Chrome. They also care about Gmail yet that is not part of the Android mail program. Again, that sounds odd.

It does sound odd. Especially the way you say it. I read your signature and then read your post again. I'm sorry but I don't understand your post at all.

An explanation you pose to your own wondering is that Google doesn't care about Android. Yet you go on by saying that that doesn't make sense because they do care about Chrome. You are loosing me right here.

What do you mean by, Gmail not being a part of the Android mail program? How should Gmail have been (more) a part of the the Android mail program for you to think or give you the impression that Google does care about the Android?
Posted by the door post at the post office the post man posted his last post-millennial post card with a Penny Black postage stamp via the Royal Post.
Reply
Posted by the door post at the post office the post man posted his last post-millennial post card with a Penny Black postage stamp via the Royal Post.
Reply
post #43 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by ameldrum1 View Post

racist ban imo

Best start over with a new handle after that idiocy!
Enjoying the new Mac Pro ... it's smokin'
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini.
Reply
Enjoying the new Mac Pro ... it's smokin'
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini.
Reply
post #44 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by ameldrum1 View Post

racist ban imo

I guess you never had bad skin and don't know what a blackhead is.
post #45 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfiejr View Post

sure Google is in a hurry, now that they know what to copy from iOS 5. Screen Mirroring for Apple TV will be its killer app, so Google has to "invent" their version for Google TV ASAP. oh yeah, and copy, er i mean "invent," AirPlay from iOS 4 too.

You forgot that the majority of the stuff in iOS 5 was borrowed from android, blackberry os, and webOS. Google has been working on ice cream sandwich far before iOS 5 was unveiled, they actually announced it a month before iOS 5. Stop drinking the apple kool-aid and open your eyes, Google does not sit around copying everything apple does. Apple is not the masijah of technology others innovate also.
post #46 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by droideggs View Post

i had no idea that being a first time poster should warrant being ridiculed.

I can't really say who is copying who, as I do not know the origins of patents, as does most everyone else here, unless they're patent experts who've been in the tech industry for decades.

Expect it. Too many ID10Ts here. If you say anything even remotely anti-Apple (or pro competition) you will be virtually beheaded...and it is worse over at macnn.com
post #47 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post

Digler's reaching again: Android users have been enjoying iOS 5 for a long time.

Wow, five huh? Those dirty slime at Apple!

Actually, the first one is wrong, so 4 i guess.

Actually, so are the fourth one and the fifth one.

So, 2?

Come to think of it, I am not sure Android invented over the air updates, so maybe they both copied that.

But hey, I will give you the notifications. You got 'em there. That must really sting. I bet Apple closes up shop and goes home when they realize they are redoing notifications because Android did it better!

....wait, Steve admitted that when he previewed iOS 5 didn't he? Hmmm, maybe they don't care.

But hey, keep trying.
OSX, because making UNIX user friendly is easier than debugging windows.
Reply
OSX, because making UNIX user friendly is easier than debugging windows.
Reply
post #48 of 138
A rush job can only be good for Apple.

Google can rush all they want, the manufacturers will rush more, and the end result will undoubtably be not unlike the Honeycomb tablet launches.

I'm sure they will get 1-2 phones working right.

Of course, you would have expected that from the XOOM wouldn't you?
post #49 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by shen View Post

But hey, I will give you the notifications. You got 'em there. That must really sting. I bet Apple closes up shop and goes home when they realize they are redoing notifications because Android did it better!

Interesting that Android folks accuse apple of "borrowing" it's notifications system seeing as Android "borrowed" it from WebOS in the first place.

The WebOS notifications were designed by a guy called Rich Dellinger - guess who got a new job working at Apple back in May 2010....
post #50 of 138
Ah yes, Google rushing something to market. They never learn do they?
post #51 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple v. Samsung View Post

Stop drinking the apple kool-aid and open your eyes, Google does not sit around copying everything apple does.

You're right, Google does not copy everything Apple does, but everything Google does is copied from someone else.
post #52 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamewing View Post

I guess you never had bad skin and don't know what a blackhead is.

Hey, that's complexionism! We prefer it to be called sebumically gifted,
post #53 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

How did I know who wrote this story before I even read it?

How did i know you were going to say that even before I read it?...
post #54 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudgazer View Post

It shouldn't.



However saying ridiculous things might. C'mon you really don't know who copied whom? You think that the iPhone is a blatent rip off of WiMo? The iPad off of Origami? Even an android fan should be willing to admit that the iPhone and the iPad defined categories, and that the android OEMs have copied them. The only question is whether or not they copied it legally or whether it infringes, but that they copied really isn't in doubt.

I know exactly where Apple ripped off the iPhone from.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newton_MessagePad

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newton_OS#Features

Apple even shamelessly copied the tv ad.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bh-yed48e0Y
post #55 of 138
It's funny how software release schedules can be altered for purely competitive reasons, forgoing anything remotely to do with qualitative reasons.

Imagine BMW announcing that they're going to release the 765iL a little bit sooner by forgoing some options in order to compete with the Lexus 470LS. "We'll send the passenger side airbag out with a x.1 patch in a few months."
post #56 of 138
deleted
post #57 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

It strikes me as odd that Google hasn't made Chrome a part of Android. They simply call it Browser and use a very generic icon of the Earth. From what I can tell it's not even close to being as unified with Chrome the way Safari is between Mac OS and iOS or even between Internet Explorer between Windows and WP7.

Chrome is popular. It's on its way to being the #2 browser in the world so why not try to extend that usability to their mobile OS. Why keep it so separate and so stunted in comparison?

One reason could be they don't care too much about Android. But that doesn't make sense because they do care about Chrome. They also care about Gmail yet that is not part of the Android mail program. Again, that sounds odd. I wonder if Google if it's because they are insulating themselves from other, moneymaking ventures knowing the illegality of Android OS would eventually catch up to it.

Not quite sure about how 'unified' they all are, but, i will take this tab browsing on honeycomb 3.2 over ' safari' on my ipad.
post #58 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post

For those who may not have followed the link, there's the first item from that list:


Do you imagine this feature did not exist before the announcement of iOS 5, or that iOS 5 has no such synchronization?

There are longer lists, like the one at Business Insider, but I was being kind.

Those of us who use multiple operating systems don't get all bent out of shape when multiple companies do smart things. OSes are commodities, not religions.

Bitch bitch moan moan bitch Google is better bitch moan Google is the greatest moan bitch... fuck, man, give it a rest... this is Apple Insider... get over it.
na na na na na...
Reply
na na na na na...
Reply
post #59 of 138
deleted
post #60 of 138
When ICS melts down, one is left with a big, gooey mess and two sodden black cookies. Did Android picture that when they picked the name?
post #61 of 138
deleted
post #62 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post

Thank you for providing one of the most informed and professional responses these boards have seen yet.

You're welcome.
na na na na na...
Reply
na na na na na...
Reply
post #63 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by droideggs View Post

Both HTC and Samsung are reporting record profits. I wouldn't consider themselves 'getting smacked' right now.

Do you just make up facts to support your argument?

Samsung Earnings Near 2-Year Low on Weak Demand, dated July 17, 2011.
Quote:
Samsung Electronics, the world's top memory chip maker, reported its weakest quarterly profit in almost two years on Friday, and warned challenging business conditions would remain in place due to heightening competition and economic uncertainty.

Samsung may be setting earnings records, but they're not the positive kind.
post #64 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

Based on your Android-esque username, coming to an Apple enthusiast website claiming that Samsung / Android is in the clear, when they are not, simply tells me your here to provoke.

Geez, now I feel like the Gestapo is after me. Should I show you my identification papers while we're at it ?

Nowhere on my first post did I mention that Samsung/Android is in the clear. I merely said that Samsung / HTC is making record profits. How that equates to 'in the clear' you tell me.

Secondly, I love my iPad2. I shouldn't ever have to prove others that I am a 'fan of Apple.'

Thirdly, believe it or not, there are folks here that love both Android and iOS platform. I never understood why folks have the urge of going 'all in' with Android or iOS, but not both.

I like to diversify my mobile devices. Thats just me though, and I would never align myself with a publicly traded company whose sole purpose is to maximize profits for shareholders on a quarterly basis, whether it be Microsoft, Google, or Apple for that matter.

I'm enjoying the mobile war that has commenced since the original iPhone launch though. We are only benefiting from it.

anywho, my $.02
post #65 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveMcM76 View Post

Interesting that Android folks accuse apple of "borrowing" it's notifications system seeing as Android "borrowed" it from WebOS in the first place.

So the first Android phone released in October 2008 went into the future and stole the system from WebOS when it was introduced by Palm in January 2009 and then released in June 2009?
post #66 of 138
I can't believe the levels of ignorance on display in this site.

Android is far superior to iOS in many many ways. The Samsung Galaxy S2 will most likely still be better than iPhone 5 in every way except perhaps processor speed.

When Ice Cream Sandwich comes out it will again put Android ahead of Apple regardless of when it comes out. The writer went for the sensationalist approach, fully aware that Google never says when something is going to be released and only do it when they are happy with their product. They are far more innovative than Apple and after enjoying an Android for two months I would never go back to a closed system like Apple. I love playing any music or video format I like and with the 40+ gb of memory, thanks to microsd card support, I can take a lot of my collection anywhere I like.

I'm all for passion towards technology but ignorant 'reporting' just wastes my time.

In answer to the person asking why GMail isn't part of Android by default, Google offer all their apps separate to the OS because that way they can keep their options open over when updates are released and are not held up waiting for carriers to push their release. Therefore providing a better solution for end users.

Just to clarify, I love Apple computers which is why I like this site, but I just think iOS devices are ordinary and not worth the hype.
post #67 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by shen View Post

Wow, five huh? Those dirty slime at Apple!

Actually, the first one is wrong, so 4 i guess.

Actually, so are the fourth one and the fifth one.

So, 2?

Come to think of it, I am not sure Android invented over the air updates, so maybe they both copied that.

But hey, I will give you the notifications. You got 'em there. That must really sting. I bet Apple closes up shop and goes home when they realize they are redoing notifications because Android did it better!

....wait, Steve admitted that when he previewed iOS 5 didn't he? Hmmm, maybe they don't care.

But hey, keep trying.

Android has had native sync with google cloud Apps for years. The twitter is not "integrated into the os" but it works with all of features natively, if you take a picture you can share it to facebook, twitter, email, etc. Do a little research next time will you. I
post #68 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by sessamoid View Post

Do you just make up facts to support your argument?

Samsung Earnings Near 2-Year Low on Weak Demand, dated July 17, 2011.


Samsung may be setting earnings records, but they're not the positive kind.

No, I do not make up facts. Based on this Bloomberg report, Samsung's Telecommunications unit has seen their profits double

Quote:
Earnings at Samsungs telecommunication unit more than doubled in the quarter because of demand for Galaxy smartphones, which compete with Apple Inc. (AAPL)s iPhone. That helped the company overcome falling prices of memory chips and weakening demand for display panels used in computers and other electronic devices.

Q2 Samsung Phones - 19.2 million units
Q2 Apple iPhone - 20.3 million units
post #69 of 138
They announced ICS back at their developer conference (where they gave it the name "Ice Cream Sandwich" and said it was coming this year BACK THEN. I fail to see how this is "News"
post #70 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by droideggs View Post

No, I do not make up facts. Based on this Bloomberg report, Samsung's Telecommunications unit has seen their profits double



Q2 Samsung Phones - 19.2 million units
Q2 Apple iPhone - 20.3 million units

From your Bloomberg report:
Quote:
Net income fell 18 percent from a year earlier to 3.51 trillion won ($3.3 billion) in the three months ended June

That's not "record profits". In fact, that's "falling profits". They did better last year.
post #71 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by sessamoid View Post

From your Bloomberg report:


That's not "record profits". In fact, that's "falling profits".

We need to recognize that Samsung is a conglomerate. They make refrigerators, ships, TV's, memory, displays. There are sub-units within Samsung as a whole.

Why are we discussing Samsung's television department?

Samsung's Telecommunications unit made record profits. Doubled, as per Bloomberg article.

Samsung as a whole? As you mentioned, due to weak tv sales, profits dropped.
post #72 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthropic View Post

I can't believe the levels of ignorance on display in this site.

Android is far superior to iOS in many many ways. The Samsung Galaxy S2 will most likely still be better than iPhone 5 in every way except perhaps processor speed.

When Ice Cream Sandwich comes out it will again put Android ahead of Apple regardless of when it comes out. The writer went for the sensationalist approach, fully aware that Google never says when something is going to be released and only do it when they are happy with their product. They are far more innovative than Apple and after enjoying an Android for two months I would never go back to a closed system like Apple. I love playing any music or video format I like and with the 40+ gb of memory, thanks to microsd card support, I can take a lot of my collection anywhere I like.

I'm all for passion towards technology but ignorant 'reporting' just wastes my time.

In answer to the person asking why GMail isn't part of Android by default, Google offer all their apps separate to the OS because that way they can keep their options open over when updates are released and are not held up waiting for carriers to push their release. Therefore providing a better solution for end users.

Just to clarify, I love Apple computers which is why I like this site, but I just think iOS devices are ordinary and not worth the hype.

That's your opinion and you're welcome to it... but... remember this... just saying it doesn't make it true. I know this will be a blow to you... but... you could actually be wrong.
na na na na na...
Reply
na na na na na...
Reply
post #73 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by droideggs View Post

No, I do not make up facts. Based on this Bloomberg report, Samsung's Telecommunications unit has seen their profits double

Double what amount in what time frame? You've stated no values or dates.

Quote:
Q2 Samsung Phones - 19.2 million units
Q2 Apple iPhone - 20.3 million units

You list all Samsung "Phones" and the specific smartphone Apple sells, the iPhone. Are these figures for all of Samsung's phones? Are they all smartphones in the same class as the iPhone?
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Reply
post #74 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by droideggs View Post

We need to recognize that Samsung is a conglomerate. They make refrigerators, ships, TV's, memory, displays. There are sub-units within Samsung as a whole.

Why are we discussing Samsung's television department?

Samsung's Telecommunications unit made record profits. Doubled, as per Bloomberg article.

Samsung as a whole? As you mentioned, due to weak tv sales, profits dropped.

Because you have no proof. Samsung didn't break out revenue per individual product. You're making an an assertion with no foundation.
post #75 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

While aimed at a release date at the end of the year, BGR reported today that "its looking like the first Ice Cream Sandwich devices could start hitting the ground in as early as October," noting that "we have been told that Google is looking to push up the release of Ice Cream Sandwich devices as Apples iPhone 5 is expected in September or October, and the Mountain View-based company doesnt want potential customers coming out of contracts (especially original DROID owners) and 'drooling over the iPhone 5.'

Sorry, Google. Original Motorola Droid owner impatiently waiting for iPhone 5.

I wanted the iPhone 3GS before but did not want to switch from Verizon to AT&T after hearing the network horror stories. I signed up for a 1-year contract and figured I'd get a Verizon iPhone 4. Of course, that took longer than expected so I figured I'd just wait for 5.

I was at first pleased with the Droid, but the performance has really suffered over the past several months. I don't know if that is due to recent updates or what. I don't have that many apps (free, of course) installed so I can't imagine that's why the performance sucks now. Maybe the software performance just degrades over time (e.g. Android rot). But then, I can't even update to the latest Gingerbread 2.3 release which is ridiculous.

Android an okay mobile OS, but it's just not there yet. Maybe in a few more years it will be more comparable to iOS if they ever get their fragmentation issues worked out. I'm done with it though.
post #76 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Double what in what time frame? You've stated no values or dates.

Q2 Samsung Phones - 19.2 million units
Q2 Apple iPhone - 20.3 million units
You list all Samsung "Phones" and the specific smartphone Apple sells, the iPhone. Are these figures for all of Samsung's phones? Are they all smartphones in the same class as the iPhone?

Doubled since same time last year, which makes sense as SGS II has been selling well both in Asia and Europe.

19.3 million smartphones based on this Reuters article; 74 million phones total

Quote:
Research firm Strategy Analytics said Samsung sold 74 million handsets including 19 million smartphones, replacing Nokia to become the world's No.2 smartphone vendor after Apple.

There's no doubt though, iPhone is still king of handsets. No smartphone manufacturer can compare in terms of profit margins and number of handsets sold per product.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sessamoid View Post

Because you have no proof. Samsung didn't break out revenue per individual product. You're making an an assertion with no foundation.

oh?

Quote:
Operating profit from its telecoms division more than doubled to 1.67 trillion won from 630 billion won a year ago, helped by strong sales of a new version of its flagship smartphone Galaxy S.

Are you now going to insinuate that Reuters is picking up numbers out of the blue, and Reuters isn't reliable now ?
post #77 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

While aimed at a release date at the end of the year, BGR reported today that "its looking like the first Ice Cream Sandwich devices could start hitting the ground in as early as October," noting that "we have been told that Google is looking to push up the release of Ice Cream Sandwich devices as Apples iPhone 5 is expected in September or October, and the Mountain View-based company doesnt want potential customers coming out of contracts (especially original DROID owners) and 'drooling over the iPhone 5.'


Sorry, Google. I'm one of those original Motorola Droid owners impatiently waiting for iPhone 5.

I wanted the iPhone 3GS before but did not want to switch from Verizon to AT&T after hearing the network horror stories. I signed up for a 1-year contract and figured I'd get a Verizon iPhone 4. Of course, that took longer than expected so I figured I'd just wait for 5.

I was at first pleased with the Droid, but the performance has really suffered over the past several months. I don't know if that is due to recent updates or what. I don't have that many apps (free, of course) installed so I can't imagine that's why the performance sucks now. Maybe the software performance just degrades over time (e.g. Android rot). But then, I can't even update to the latest Gingerbread 2.3 release which is ridiculous.

Android an okay mobile OS, but it's just not there yet. Maybe in a few more years it will be more comparable to iOS if they ever get their fragmentation issues worked out. I'm done with it though.
post #78 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by sessamoid View Post

From your Bloomberg report:


That's not "record profits". In fact, that's "falling profits". They did better last year.

That's because samsung sells more than phones. While their Cellphone industry is doing well, their other industries are doing poorly which is why they had a net negative.

From that bloomberg report:

"Profit at the telecommunication unit rose to 1.67 trillion won from 630 billion won, the company said in the statement today." AKA, profit from mobile more than doubled.
post #79 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Double what amount in what time frame? You've stated no values or dates.


You list all Samsung "Phones" and the specific smartphone Apple sells, the iPhone. Are these figures for all of Samsung's phones? Are they all smartphones in the same class as the iPhone?

It's in the report he linked:

Profit at the telecommunication unit rose to 1.67 trillion won from 630 billion won, the company said in the statement today.

Also worth noting that profit more than doubled while telecommunications sales only went up by 43%
post #80 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman2u View Post

Sorry, Google. Original Motorola Droid owner impatiently waiting for iPhone 5.

I wanted the iPhone 3GS before but did not want to switch from Verizon to AT&T after hearing the network horror stories. I signed up for a 1-year contract and figured I'd get a Verizon iPhone 4. Of course, that took longer than expected so I figured I'd just wait for 5.

I was at first pleased with the Droid, but the performance has really suffered over the past several months. I don't know if that is due to recent updates or what. I don't have that many apps (free, of course) installed so I can't imagine that's why the performance sucks now. Maybe the software performance just degrades over time (e.g. Android rot). But then, I can't even update to the latest Gingerbread 2.3 release which is ridiculous.

Android an okay mobile OS, but it's just not there yet. Maybe in a few more years it will be more comparable to iOS if they ever get their fragmentation issues worked out. I'm done with it though.

Do you have a task killer? If yes: That is your problem

Edit: You also don't want gingerbread on your droid. My father's droid with Froyo performs better than my droid with an overclocked Gingerbread rom for everyday tasks.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Google rushing out Android 4 "Ice Cream Sandwich" to counter iPhone 5