or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple's cheaper iPhone 4, new iPhone 4S with larger screen to debut in September

Apple's cheaper iPhone 4, new iPhone 4S with larger screen to debut in September

post #1 of 44
Apple's Far Eastern suppliers are currently manufacturing a cheaper version of the company's existing iPhone 4 in addition to an all new iPhone with a slightly larger display, both of which are slated for an introduction by the end of next month, Reuters is reporting.

Citing two people with knowledge of the matter, the global news agency said it's heard that Apple's Asian suppliers have begun building "a lower-priced version of its hot-selling iPhone 4 with a smaller 8 gigabyte flash drive" that's "expected to launch within weeks."

It quoted an industry analyst who believes Apple may target the device, which will offer less storage than the 16GB and 32GB iPhone 4's that launched a little over a year ago, at boosting sales in emerging markets, where customers may be looking to trade in their high-end traditional cell phones for low- to mid-end smartphones, which typically cost $150-200.

In addition, Reuters said Apple is also targeting an end-September launch for the next-generation iPhone 5, which some of its sources have been calling "the iPhone 4S because of its largely identical appearance to the existing iPhone 4."

However, the handset will have a bigger touch screen, better antenna and an 8-megapixel camera, according to one of the people familiar with the matter.

Manufacturers Hon Hai and Pegatron have reportedly been asked to produce as many as 45 million units of the new fifth-generation iPhone for the remainder of the year, which would represent more than double the 20.34 million iPhones Apple sold during its second calendar quarter of 2011.
post #2 of 44
I'm still not sure about the "4S" name.

If it's gonna have a bigger screen... I think iPhone 5 is more fitting.

3G to 3GS was an internal change. But if the next iPhone has different hardware... why use the same number?

After all... the iPhone 4 was the 4th iPhone.
post #3 of 44
This sounds like pure disinformation.
post #4 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleZilla View Post

This sounds like pure disinformation.

I agree. There's nothing here that sounds any more legitimate than the last batch of rumors, anyway.

Plus, am I the only one who would really be displeases with a larger screen? I've seen some of those huge Androids, and quite frankly, they look really impractical.
post #5 of 44
I'll be most disappointed if the screen is only slightly larger. I look upon giant Android screens with envy.
post #6 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by autism10 View Post

I agree. There's nothing here that sounds any more legitimate than the last batch of rumors, anyway.

Plus, am I the only one who would really be displeases with a larger screen? I've seen some of those huge Androids, and quite frankly, they look really impractical.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

I'll be most disappointed if the screen is only slightly larger. I look upon giant Android screens with envy.

Can't please everyone. At least not with Apple's "one size fits all" philosophy. Apple will decide what's best for you!

Short of making multiple screen sizes, which I don't see Apple doing, if I had to choose I'd go with the current phone size, but try to make the screen a wee bit bigger within that form-factor. I think Apple would lose more customers with a bigger phone than they'd gain from it (again, assuming they only make one size).

If they wanted to make a mid-size iDevice, I think it'd more likely be the iPod touch.
post #7 of 44
I wondered if we would get am 8 gig version. Hopefully they keep the 16 as well when the new phone is released. My daughter is using my wife's heavily abused 3G right now and asks me 4-5 times a week when they will drop the price on the current phone so she can get one.
OSX, because making UNIX user friendly is easier than debugging windows.
OSX, because making UNIX user friendly is easier than debugging windows.
post #8 of 44
An iPhone 4 with just 8gb of memory would make sense as the cheaper handset, it's exactly what they did with the 3GS so would hardly be a surprise.

I'd imagine thay they would simply leave it's name be once again just like the 3GS.

When you consider how ancient the IP4 now is I'd be extremely surprised to see and iPhone 4S, it'll be an iPhone 5 plain and simple.
iPad, Macbook Pro, iPhone, heck I even have iLife! :-)
iPad, Macbook Pro, iPhone, heck I even have iLife! :-)
post #9 of 44
Quote:

I use one of them, and the larger display is great, and the marginally larger size of the phone isn't an issue when it's so thin. Quite unlike the large display bricks of the past.

Anyway, Apple have enough bezel on the current iPhone to increase the screen size without altering the footprint of the phone.
post #10 of 44
I've gone back and forth between ip4 and a range of the latest Android devices.

Apple had better release something great ( at least as notable as the ip4 when it was released- sans antennae issues) in September. Total redesign that eschews the metal frame - Thinner, larger screen with richer colors and deeper blacks, better battery, etc.

"4s" at this juncture does not cut it.

Not sure why they waited this long but I'm not convinced it was market strategy.
post #11 of 44
Well the savings won't come from using 8GB instead of 16GB, given the price of flash memory these days. The savings will come from using lower-end components. Plastic backs, cheaper displays, less DRAM, cheaper electronics (slower A5s that didn't make the grade, slower DRAMs, cheaper 3G circuits, etc.

Maybe Apple could consider a higher capacity for the top end iPhone 5 - charging $100 more for an extra 16GB of flash is getting a bit tired these days.
post #12 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

Isn't there a commandment about that? coveting thy neighbors sexy phone?

I think the form factor most closely approximating a pocket phone, coupled with retaining the resolution parameters of the current phone are the gating factors.

I doubt they'd add more than .25 on the width (pushing edge to edge... which if you 'wrap' your holding hand while gesturing, you'll end up with a thumb being a 2nd/third finger on the screen, giving unexpected nav results), and .35 on the length, and retain the same number of pixels (that's almost a 10% increase in screen), dropping it to 300ish DPI.

Beyond that, get your wandering eyes an android phone, or get reading glasses;-)
post #13 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

Can't please everyone. At least not with Apple's "one size fits all" philosophy. Apple will decide what's best for you!

Short of making multiple screen sizes, which I don't see Apple doing, if I had to choose I'd go with the current phone size, but try to make the screen a wee bit bigger within that form-factor. I think Apple would lose more customers with a bigger phone than they'd gain from it (again, assuming they only make one size).

If they wanted to make a mid-size iDevice, I think it'd more likely be the iPod touch.

The Touch as a mid-size device would make sense. Ideally you'd want the biggest screen possible without losing the ability to pocket the unit in a reasonably sized pocket. I think this point is with a device larger than the current Touch but I don't know that Apple shares my view.

What I do see is that now would be a good time to cut the umbilical cord between the iPhone and the Touch. The Touch should be developed as a pocket computer rather than an iPhone without the phone or 3G connectivity.

The iPhone, on the other hand, works perfectly with its current dimensions so why not use different screen sizes with different devices.

I could well imagine a 4.5" Touch that is an upgrade on the current model yet reasonably portable. If Apple brings out such a device, sign me up. If not, I'll keep my current Touch until it dies on me.
post #14 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple's Far Eastern suppliers are currently manufacturing a cheaper version of the company's existing iPhone 4 in addition to an all new iPhone with a slightly larger display, both of which are slated for an introduction by the end of next month, Reuters is reporting.

Both sound hideous to me. I hope this is another erroneous rumour. I sure wouldn't buy anything like that.
post #15 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOtherGeoff View Post

Isn't there a commandment about that? coveting thy neighbors sexy phone?

"Thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's ... wife, nor his ass..."

Nothing about his cool Android phone...
post #16 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Both sound hideous to me. I hope this is another erroneous rumour. I sure wouldn't buy anything like that.

C'mon. Steve knows best. You'll slurp it up as soon as it is released.

BTW, where are the comments saying that more megapixels make for a worse camera?
post #17 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleLover2 View Post

C'mon. Steve knows best. You'll slurp it up as soon as it is released.

BTW, where are the comments saying that more megapixels make for a worse camera?

Feel better? Dick bigger?
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
They spoke of the sayings and doings of their commander, the grand duke, and told stories of his kindness and irascibility.
post #18 of 44
Obviously there are as many rumors as there are iPhone users, so no one knows anything.

However, for the sake of conversation let's say that this article is for the most part accurate...

If there will be 2 new iPhones (a less expensive phone based on iP4, and a new full feature iPhone with a slightly larger screen), then it seems clear that if either of these devices would be called an iPhone 4s, that it would be this cheaper one.

My opinion? The new flagship phone will in fact be called iPhone 5.
post #19 of 44
If they are going to continue selling the 4 (either in it's current form or a smaller capacity version) there's no way Apple would call the new phone a 4S or 4GS whatever. It would confuse some people and Apple wants people to buy the new model -- the easiest way to do that is to distinguish it with a higher, unique number - hence iPhone 5.
post #20 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJinTX View Post

My opinion? The new flagship phone will in fact be called iPhone 5.

Correct.

Steve Jobs will get up on stage and announce the iPhone 5, with the A5 chip, running iOS 5.

It's simple. And we all know how much Steve likes simplicity.
post #21 of 44
Please Apple, don't release a phone with an edge-to-edge screen.

You need the blank space at the edges so that you can grip the phone firmly with your fingertips.
post #22 of 44
Quote:

We're just silently laughing at you for not knowing anything about optics. No need to post the same, irrefutable arguments that you'll just ignore.
post #23 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Scrip View Post

3G to 3GS was an internal change. But if the next iPhone has different hardware... why use the same number?

I think you've hit on one of the reasons why this rumour can't be true.

Changing the size of the screen would be a major, major deal for Apple. It's not something they would do lightly at all. It doesn't even really make sense to have a bigger screen in the first place, and it makes even less sense for them to do it and then just casually release it as a slight variation of the iPhone known as iPhone 4s. If they were going to make a change like that it would be trumpeted from the heavens.

For this reason, the only way I can make sense out of this rumour is if you assume the thing with the bigger screen (and the curved back and iPad-like looks if we are to believe those cases), is actually the next iPod touch.

It would make some kind of sense, if the iPhone 5 was LTE and thus not quite ready, to instead have a cheapo iPhone 4 (or iPhone 4x), to spread adoption and boost the 4th quarter and holiday sales until the iPhone 5 proper arrives in the Spring along with the new iPad.

Just a guess on my part, but it's the only thing that makes sense out of all these rumours to me.
post #24 of 44
Quote:

I have an HD7 and whenever I've used my old iPhone since getting it I've always been shocked by how small and cramped everything on the iPhone is. A 4 inch screen is much better, particularly with games where your fingers are always covering part of the screen.
post #25 of 44
Quote:

These are placeholder names invented by the rumor mill.
Same rumor, different day. Meh.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #26 of 44
I love all these posts saying apple must have this feature or this other form factor to keep people from switching to android. The iPhone 3GS sold more units this year than any individual android phone. Apple clearly doesn't *have* to do any particular thing to please the masses. Maybe they'll lose a few tech junkies, but oh well.

In all honesty, it's android manufacturers that should've thinking there's things they have to do to keep people from switching to the iPhone.
32G iPhone 4, 32G iPad 2, late 2009 15" mbp
post #27 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddyguido View Post

In all honesty, it's android manufacturers that should've thinking there's things they have to do to keep people from switching to the iPhone.

Too bad they can't. Android and the hardware designed around it are already too close to iOS and the iPhone design to get any closer; they're being sued already and people STILL hate them!
post #28 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Too bad they can't. Android and the hardware designed around it are already too close to iOS and the iPhone design to get any closer; they're being sued already and people STILL hate them!

Yes, they can't copy more, but they could work on making the experience more consistent. Maybe focus less on adding things to differentiate from other vendors and focus more on making everything work more fluidly and intuitively.
post #29 of 44
Quote:

We're just silently laughing at you for not knowing anything about optics. No need to post the same, irrefutable arguments that you'll just ignore.

I know quite well which factors make for a good camera. Thanks anyways.
post #30 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by am8449 View Post

You need the blank space at the edges so that you can grip the phone firmly with your fingertips.

Hmm, when I hold my phone, I don't think my fingers or heel of my hand touch the bezel on the sides. But it definitely could be an issue for some people, I suppose.

I'm not great at math, so I'm not sure how much that would gain them, anyways. I do know that I hope the phone stays pretty much the same size. Then again, I've had my 3GS for so long, I'm just totally used to it at this point.

It feels like I've been waiting for the iPhone5 to come out forever.
post #31 of 44
Quote:

Not sure why Apple Insider is calling the upgraded phone the 4S when the article they link to is calling it the iPhone 5.
post #32 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

Correct.

Steve Jobs will get up on stage and announce the iPhone 5, with the A5 chip, running iOS 5.

I think this will be the case - I certainly hope so...
post #33 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

These are placeholder names invented by the rumor mill.
Same rumor, different day. Meh.

So it won't be called the iPhone 5GS PLUS?
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #34 of 44
Lager screen and cheaper iPhone 4 = a bump in marketshare for ios in my opinion. If the screen is 3.7 inches I will have a huge nerdgasm.
--SHEFFmachine out
Da Bears!
--SHEFFmachine out
Da Bears!
post #35 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

Throw in a 5'' screen, and I might get one
post #36 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by am8449 View Post

It can't ever be completely edge to edge as long as they keep the same general iPhone 3/4 style. The annular ring that holds the glass on the front is always going to take up a couple of millimetres.

Personally, if they do edge to edge I'd rather they keep the screen the same size and reduce the size of the phone instead. an edge to edge screen on the current iPhone 4 would enable them to make it almost a quarter inch smaller in all dimensions.

I'd much prefer a smaller iPhone than the same design but blown up to a larger size. I think the larger screens are just popular because a lot of people have fat fingers.
post #37 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

... I think the larger screens are just popular because a lot of people have fat fingers.

Muscular, thank you very much.
post #38 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDoppio View Post

Throw in a 5'' screen, and I might get one

Like the one Dell just killed for lack of consumer interest?
post #39 of 44
Quote:

And yet, more people buy Android phones than all the rest of the smartphones put together!

Go figure...
post #40 of 44
Quote:

And yet, more people buy Android phones than all the rest of the smartphones put together!

And yet more people buy a two year old iPhone than any Android device. Go figure?
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Apple's cheaper iPhone 4, new iPhone 4S with larger screen to debut in September
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple's cheaper iPhone 4, new iPhone 4S with larger screen to debut in September