or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Dead Man Walking: The President Obama won't be reelected thread.

Dead Man Walking: The President Obama won't be reelected thread. - Page 18

post #681 of 886

Not as many as you might think. The R3VOLUTION is growing.

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

post #682 of 886

Yes, Obama is "killing it" in swing states.  

That is, if you mean killing his campaign in a state he won last time---NC.  He's now down by 8 points in a state he won by .4%.  

I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
post #683 of 886

Please.  .4%  He was never supposed to win the state in the first place.  The fact that he did the first time was a miracle.  He doesn't need NC anyway.  The electoral collage plays out without it just fine.

"The selfishness of Ayn Rand capitalism is the equivalent of intellectual masturbation -- satisfying in an ego-stroking way, but an ethical void when it comes to our commonly shared humanity."
"The selfishness of Ayn Rand capitalism is the equivalent of intellectual masturbation -- satisfying in an ego-stroking way, but an ethical void when it comes to our commonly shared humanity."
post #684 of 886
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northgate View Post

Please.  .4%  He was never supposed to win the state in the first place.  The fact that he did the first time was a miracle.  He doesn't need NC anyway.  The electoral collage plays out without it just fine.

It proves my point. The Obama coalition has fallen apart. He is cobbling together the most hardcore of his base and hoping that is enough to carry him to victory. Out goes hope and change and in come wedge issues, cries of -ism and anything else he can muster to scare people into voting for him.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

post #685 of 886

You guys would know wedge issues, wouldn't you?  Now that you can't run on the economy any more, it's back the gays gays gays, contraception and women are whores.

I wonder if what really pisses you guys off most is that Obama's using the Bush/Rove playbook from '04 and engaging in hardball politics (something you guys aren't used to from a Democrat).

post #686 of 886

This petty partisan bickering over which big government party/politician is less corrupt is a waste of time and a distraction.

post #687 of 886
Quote:

You guys would know wedge issues, wouldn't you?  Now that you can't run on the economy any more, it's back the gays gays gays, contraception and women are whores.

I wonder if what really pisses you guys off most is that Obama's using the Bush/Rove playbook from '04 and engaging in hardball politics (something you guys aren't used to from a Democrat).

Naming the Democratic wedge issues and pointing a finger to blame Republicans for them is just the height of irony.

Obama isn't using hardball politics because he thinks it some sort of great thing to do. He has no choice in the matter. His utter failures leave him no other leg to stand on. Also regardless of what you want to claim about Bush, he grew his majorities each time an election came around until 2006 when people were tired of the spending and the Democrats promised to fix it with their pack of lies. Obama has no such record.

Edited by trumptman - 5/16/12 at 11:56am

post #688 of 886

Why?  It's a sport, is it not?

post #689 of 886
Quote:

lol.gif  AYFKM?   Regardless of "Rove playbook" in 2004, the Republicans didn't bring any of this up.  It was the Democrats and Obama who decided to unilaterally declare health insurance providers/employers must offer free birth control.  It was the Democrats and Obama who created the War on Women narrative when Republicans and religious institutions cried foul.  It was the Democrats and Obama who wanted to engineer his Gay Marriage Evolution Announcement 2012 for maximum political gain.  It is the Democrats and Obama who are running on these things, not the GOP.  And why?  Because Obama is a failure by any measure.  The economy stinks, and we're going bankrupt.  The world is just as dangerous as ever.  Government is exploding in size and scope.  Debt is sky high.  We've lost our AAA credit rating.  The housing market is still in the toilet.  Major world players are laughing at our fecklessness.  And Obama understandably can't talk about that.  So he's out there talking about freaking birth control pills and his personal view on gay marriage, which he's not willing to do anything about legislatively anyway.   

Quote:
Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

Naming the Democratic wedge issues and pointing a finger to blame Republicans for them is just the height of irony.

Obama isn't using hardball politics because he things it some sort of great thing to do. He has no choice in the matter. His utter failures leave him no other leg to stand on. Also regardless of what you want to claim about Bush, he grew his majorities each time an election came around until 2006 when people were tired of the spending and the Democrats promised to fix it with their pack of lies. Obama has no such record.

Agreed.  Only but the post partisan, dyed-in-the-wool Obama supporters even try to defend his record.  Bob Beckel and Juan Williams have started this "greatest economic President since FDR" narrative.  Of course, it's utterly laughable, whether or not one thinks things would have been worse without some of his policies.  

post #690 of 886
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

lol.gif  AYFKM?   Regardless of "Rove playbook" in 2004, the Republicans didn't bring any of this up.  It was the Democrats and Obama who decided to unilaterally declare health insurance providers/employers must offer free birth control.  It was the Democrats and Obama who created the War on Women narrative when Republicans and religious institutions cried foul.  It was the Democrats and Obama who wanted to engineer his Gay Marriage Evolution Announcement 2012 for maximum political gain.  It is the Democrats and Obama who are running on these things, not the GOP.  And why?  Because Obama is a failure by any measure.  The economy stinks, and we're going bankrupt.  The world is just as dangerous as ever.  Government is exploding in size and scope.  Debt is sky high.  We've lost our AAA credit rating.  The housing market is still in the toilet.  Major world players are laughing at our fecklessness.  And Obama understandably can't talk about that.  So he's out there talking about freaking birth control pills and his personal view on gay marriage, which he's not willing to do anything about legislatively anyway.   

Agreed.  Only but the post partisan, dyed-in-the-wool Obama supporters even try to defend his record.  Bob Beckel and Juan Williams have started this "greatest economic President since FDR" narrative.  Of course, it's utterly laughable, whether or not one thinks things would have been worse without some of his policies.  

The economy doesn't stink.  Wallstreet is making cash hand over fist.  Too bad Wallstreet and their "job creators" aren't creating any.  And since when was 8.1% unemployment the end of the world? 

Secondly, we all know why we lost our AAA rating.  It's amusing you take none of the blame.  Because... WOW!

Lastly, when did major world players and their opinions matter to you?  EVER.  I thought our position on the world stage was something only Democrats and Obama cared about?

post #691 of 886
Quote:

The economy doesn't stink.  Wallstreet is making cash hand over fist.  Too bad Wallstreet and their "job creators" aren't creating any.  And since when was 8.1% unemployment the end of the world? 

Secondly, we all know why we lost our AAA rating.  It's amusing you take none of the blame.  Because... WOW!

Lastly, when did major world players and their opinions matter to you?  EVER.  I thought our position on the world stage was something only Democrats and Obama cared about?

This isn't a serious reply is it? This has to be tongue in cheek.

post #692 of 886
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
post #693 of 886

Obama has to worry about key states not N.C. like Ohio, PA, Florida, NY and other states that count in his reelection.

post #694 of 886

Obstructionists!!!!!!!!!!!

They clearly all don't believe in evolution, which has blinded them to Obama's genius.
Edited by jazzguru - 5/17/12 at 6:49am

post #695 of 886

You look foolish not understanding why the vote went 99-0.

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
post #696 of 886

You are foolish to keep up your strident and frequent tantrums in these forums. Can't you find somewhere else to post pretty pictures while cursing people out and personally attacking them in a dozen different ways?

post #697 of 886
Quote:
Originally Posted by BR View Post

You look foolish not understanding why the vote went 99-0.

You look even more foolish for not explaining it.

post #698 of 886

You posted the article without comment.  I'm not doing your homework for you.  It's not like you'd even listen to the reasons anyway.  You are intractable.

-Sagan

-Sagan
post #699 of 886
Quote:

You posted the article without comment.  I'm not doing your homework for you.  It's not like you'd even listen to the reasons anyway.  You are intractable.

Considering that this is pretty much your default comment to any conservative on the board, I can't help but wonder why you come to a discussion board if you don't want to actually discuss your point of view. Do you think you're somehow you're helping the case of liberals/progressives/atheists by helping to shout down, curse at, and insult everyone who disagrees with you?

post #700 of 886

According to the article, Obama's original budget document was "thousands of pages" and the Republicans basically condensed it into its raw numbers for the vote, challenging the Democrats to refute or correct any of the numbers. None of the Democrats did so.

What am I failing to understand (as it was described in the article), BR?

post #701 of 886
Quote:

1.  The economy does stink.  GDP growth is anemic.  Look it up.  

2.  If Wall Street and large corporations (i.e. "the rich") don't create jobs, who does?  Maybe we should FORCE companies to his people!

3.  No really, explain why we lost our rating.  And no, I personally take zero blame.  Do you?  

4.  8.1% unemployment is a disaster.  First, it's not 8.1%....it's actually 11% when factoring in those who have left the job market.  When factoring in the underemployed, it's close to 17%.  Unemployment has been above 8% for Obama's entire term.  Go ahead, tell me it's not that bad.  

5.  I don't care if they don't like us.  I do care if they don't respect us.  They don't. 

post #702 of 886

Hilarious that you anti-federal government types suddenly expect the federal government to come to your rescue and create jobs.  LOL!  But yet your precious little free-enterprise darlings sit back and do nothing.  Interesting, that.

post #703 of 886
Quote:

Hilarious that you anti-federal government types suddenly expect the federal government to come to your rescue and create jobs.  LOL!  But yet your precious little free-enterprise darlings sit back and do nothing.  Interesting, that.

Who, pray tell, are you talking about?

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

post #704 of 886
Quote:

/sarcasm

Didn't you already try that nonsense before? Hey the government only took $5 trillion dollars, what, you expect them to do something with it? What an asshole!

post #705 of 886

Why do you blame Obama on everything that happened when Bush was president and made a financial disaster out of the country than? Billions wasted on wars that meant shit but good old Cheney and Bush never cared what they screwed up as long as they had power and made money.When Obama first was president the goal of your great GOP Party was to make him a one term president that was their concept of uniting the parties to make the economy stronger and help the poor and middle class which they never did. Don't be such a big shot if Romney does get in you may lose your job as a teacher with the cuts he has in mind with his party to lead him like a puppy dog.

post #706 of 886
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ1970 View Post

Who, pray tell, are you talking about?

My question exactly.  

Quote:

Originally Posted by marvfox View Post

Why do you blame Obama on everything that happened when Bush was president and made a financial disaster out of the country than?

I don't blame Obama for everything.  I blame him only for what he's done, and failed to do.  As for Bush, he did not "make a financial disaster of the country."  True, the Wall Street meltdown happened while he was President.  But no one seems to be able to point to the actions Bush took (or didn't take) that would have prevented it.  By the way, it's "then" not "than" in this case.  ;)  

Quote:
Billions wasted on wars that meant shit but good old Cheney and Bush never cared what they screwed up as long as they had power and made money.

You're entitled to you opinion on whether the wars were justified. Though, you did say "wars" so I assume you're stating Afghanistan was not a war you supported as well?  As for power any money, I don't know what you mean by that.  The POTUS and VPOTUS are inherently very powerful positions, and neither Bush nor Cheney personally profited form their actions while in office.  Do you disagree?  

Quote:
When Obama first was president the goal of your great GOP Party was to make him a one term president that was their concept of uniting the parties to make the economy stronger and help the poor and middle class which they never did.

The oppositions goal is always to make their opponent a one term President, so be real.  However, the true opposition didn't start until Obama actually took action while in office.  His agenda, along with the that of the Democratically controlled House and Senate, drove the Congressional elections of 2010.  That gave rise to principled GOP opposition.  They believe that his polices are the wrong ones, so they oppose them.  Why is this surprising to you?  

As for the poor and middle class, I disagree that GOP has done "nothing" to help "them."   The question is how we help the poor and middle class.  We've tried it the Left's way for 50 years.  We simply give money to people who don't make "enough."  It doesn't work.  It destroys work incentive, and costs billions.  What the poor and middle class really need are jobs and opportunity.  The way to get those is to get government out of our lives as much as possible.  Less spending, lower taxes, smaller government.  This is what the majority of the GOP needs to stand for.  

Quote:

Don't be such a big shot if Romney does get in you may lose your job as a teacher with the cuts he has in mind with his party to lead him like a puppy dog.

I don't think whomever is President will have any impact on my job negatively. The federal government provides very little education funding to the states.  In actuality, even the state provides very little funding (about 10% where I live).  In my state, there are two factors affecting teacher job security:  1) The overall economy and 2) PA Act 1, which limits tax increases to an index (which is now just over 1% a year).  I doubt Act 1 is getting repealed, so the only hope is the economy.  

This is the difference between many liberals and conservatives.  Conservatives vote for whom they think will make the best President.  Liberals vote for who they think will help them and their families the most.  It's a difference people don't seem to acknowledge.  

post #707 of 886
Quote:
Originally Posted by marvfox View Post

Why do you blame Obama on everything that happened when Bush was president and made a financial disaster out of the country than?.

You hire a contractor to build a porch onto the back of your house. You give him $1,000 to cover material and labor. Six months later the porch isn't done and you fire him. You hire a new contractor who initially claims he can use most of the left over materials and by working harder and smarter he can fix your porch though there will still be some costs but also considerable savings due to better work habits. He quotes you a price of $750 and asks for three months. Three months later this new contractor has spent $1200 and there still is no porch. He declares the problem is that he needs another $1200 and another three months to finish the job. When asked why he shouldn't be fired for doing nothing for 3 months and costing you $1200, he blames the first contractor. When you note he was hired because he expressly said he could fix the problems with the first contract, he calls you a racist.

Quote:

Billions wasted on wars that meant shit but good old Cheney and Bush never cared what they screwed up as long as they had power and made money.

At this point if the choice is between billions wasted and trillions wasted, the sad choice is billions wasted. Obama has borrowed more in one term than Bush did in two. The Senate hasn't had a budget for most of his first term and it is Democratically controlled. It is clear Obama engages in Crony capitalism with green companies that make Iraq look like small change.

Quote:

When Obama first was president the goal of your great GOP Party was to make him a one term president that was their concept of uniting the parties to make the economy stronger and help the poor and middle class which they never did.

Obama has spent five trillion in deficit financing and fifteen trillion in government spending in his first term. If that can't fix the problem in an economy than the issue is the policy, not the money spent. Just like the bad contractor, the blame has to be placed on the person who declared they would be the leader and fix the problem but who then didn't.

Quote:

Don't be such a big shot if Romney does get in you may lose your job as a teacher with the cuts he has in mind with his party to lead him like a puppy dog

Sorry but SDW and myself don't buy into the hyperbole. Seniors won't start dying on the streets, public education will not end and cats and dogs will not start living together in sin all due to electing a Republican president. Why if push comes to shove I guess I'll just go put my loin cloth back on and go hunt in the mountains like I did during the Bush years since I obviously didn't have a job when he was president.

In the meantime, read my signature. Obama states my case quite plainly.lol.gif

post #708 of 886

Well boys and girls what would a Romney presidency be like? Well here's a good example : http://youtu.be/w9LZvsbCuFw lol.gif

Also where I found this link is a good read on the uncertainty of Mr. Romney's plans :http://firstread.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/05/18/11757714-romneys-day-one-what-do-we-know-about-his-plan?lite

A bit from what the Democrats have to say in that article :

Quote:
"We know why Mitt Romney didn’t keep his promises- his business experience wasn’t in strengthening companies and creating jobs for long-term economic growth. It was in reaping quick profits for himself and his investors at the expense of workers and communities," said Lis Smith, a spokeswoman for the president's re-election. "These are the values that he wants to bring to the White House by giving more budget-busting tax cuts to the wealthy and letting Wall Street write its own rules—the same formula that benefited a few, but crashed our economy and punished the middle class."

I know certain conservative types here won't like this but what does that matter?

Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
post #709 of 886
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

Quote:

1.  The economy does stink.  GDP growth is anemic.  Look it up.  

2.  If Wall Street and large corporations (i.e. "the rich") don't create jobs, who does?  Maybe we should FORCE companies to his people!

3.  No really, explain why we lost our rating.  And no, I personally take zero blame.  Do you?  

4.  8.1% unemployment is a disaster.  First, it's not 8.1%....it's actually 11% when factoring in those who have left the job market.  When factoring in the underemployed, it's close to 17%.  Unemployment has been above 8% for Obama's entire term.  Go ahead, tell me it's not that bad.  

5.  I don't care if they don't like us.  I do care if they don't respect us.  They don't. 

Still peddling that trickle down nonsense? If that really worked ( given that the top 1% are still getting big breaks in their taxes ) we would have been out of the bad jobs market a long time ago.

post #710 of 886

Demand creates jobs.  Please, SDW, tell me what percentage of companies is going to hire more workers than they need to meet current demand?

-Sagan

-Sagan
post #711 of 886
Quote:

Demand creates jobs.

Why don't you come back when you know what you're talking about.

post #712 of 886

If this is true good strategy from the Obama campaign let them keep it up.Stick it to the Republicans good.

post #713 of 886
Quote:

Why don't you take your condescension and shove it up your ass?

I will if you will.

Quote:

Nice convenient clip of my quote.

I was addressing the base premise of your post. If you don't mean what you say, don't say it.

post #714 of 886

You didn't ADDRESS anything.  

-Sagan

-Sagan
post #715 of 886
Quote:

You didn't ADDRESS anything.  

Of course I did. Go back and look. You just don't like the way I addressed your claim. And that's fair it certainly was a smart ass way of telling you that you're wrong and ignorant of the economic realities of what does and doesn't create jobs.

I told you that you don't know what you're talking about when you said "demand creates jobs" and that you should come back when you do know what you're talking about.

I understand this wasn't a very nice way of telling you that. But I've tried nice before and that hasn't worked with you, I thought I'd try jerk since this is the language you speak so frequently, maybe something would get through.

post #716 of 886

You didn't answer the question.  You were dismissive--you didn't actually address anything.  Furthermore, you are so pompous despite your apparent lack of basic economic knowledge that you act like a dick when someone says something you wrongly disagree with.  

Try answering this question:  You own a company.  You have 500 employees.  Forecasts say demand for your product will decrease in both the short and long term.  You also are getting a tax cut.  Do you hire more employees?  At the moment, your employees can meet current demand.

-Sagan

-Sagan
post #717 of 886
Quote:

You didn't answer the question.  You were dismissive--you didn't actually address anything.

You're right, I didn't. Mostly because the question itself is based on an incorrect premise. But, again I did address your base premise, you just don't like how I addressed it.

Quote:

you act like a dick when someone says something you wrongly disagree with.

Ahhh the irony.

Quote:

Furthermore, you are so pompous despite your apparent lack of basic economic knowledge that you act like a dick when someone says something you wrongly disagree with.

You're not in a position to lecture anyone (let alone me) on their "apparent lack of basic economic knowledge." You consistently and repeatedly demonstrate an extremely simplistic form of economic "knowledge" and "reasoning" that typically defies the basics one can learn in Economics 101.

You might consider reading a book like "Economics in One Lesson" by Henry Hazlitt or "Economic Sophisms" by Bastiat to start. You might also look at "Common Sense Economics" by Albert L. Hahn. These are all fairly easy reads. Nothing super heavy, but give the basics in an easily digestible way. If you read the first two alone you'd be light years ahead of where you are now.

Let me know if you ever read them.

Edited by MJ1970 - 5/19/12 at 8:40pm

post #718 of 886

Do you hire more workers after receiving a tax cut and a lower demand forecast?

-Sagan

-Sagan
post #719 of 886

Obama will win the 2012 election with no problem at all. It is in the bag.

post #720 of 886
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmac View Post

Well boys and girls what would a Romney presidency be like? Well here's a good example : http://youtu.be/w9LZvsbCuFw lol.gif

Also where I found this link is a good read on the uncertainty of Mr. Romney's plans :http://firstread.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/05/18/11757714-romneys-day-one-what-do-we-know-about-his-plan?lite

A bit from what the Democrats have to say in that article :

I know certain conservative types here won't like this but what does that matter?

It's not a question of not liking it.  It's a question of seeing it what it is:  A cheap collection of out of context quotes and the current Democratic attack line that Romney was a "vulture capitalist."  

Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Dead Man Walking: The President Obama won't be reelected thread.