or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple initiates pre-orders for iPhone 4S

Apple initiates pre-orders for iPhone 4S

post #1 of 246
Apple and select partners began taking pre-orders of its new iPhone 4S smartphone early Friday ahead of its October 14th launch date, though some outlets, including Apple's own online store, ran behind schedule [updated].

The Cupertino, Calif., iPhone maker initiated advance sales of the iPhone 4S early Friday, slightly later than originally promised. For those unsure whether they are eligible for an upgrade, Apple offers customers the ability to check eligibility with its three wireless carrier partners in the U.S.

Verizon, Sprint and AT&T began offering pre-orders on their websites on Friday. Vodafone in the U.K. has also started pre-orders of the handset. The 16GB, 32GB and 64GB iPhone 4S models sell for $199, $299 and $399, respectively, with a 2-year contract in the U.S.

Update: Even after preorders began, online orders from Apple and its carrier partners struggled with user demand. Apple's website at times showed errors stating that the site was not taking orders, though the process improved by later Friday morning.

The new handset will launch on Oct. 14 in the U.S., Australia, Canada, France, Germany, Japan, and the U.K. Customers will be able to purchase the device from the Apple Online Store, Apple's retail stores, select Apple Authorized Resellers and participating wireless operators.

Apple is pursuing its fastest international roll-out ever for the iPhone. Following the initial roll-out, the new handset will arrive in 22 more countries later this month. The company expects to sell the device in 70 countries on 100 carriers by the end of 2011.

The iPhone 4S was unveiled at an Apple media event on Tuesday. The handset features the same external design as the iPhone 4, while sporting improved internals, such as the A5 processor, a 8-megapixel camera and a re-designed antenna. Apple is also touting the Siri voice assistant feature available exclusively on the new smartphone.

According to All Things D's Ina Fried, Apple plans to offer an unlocked version of the iPhone 4S, though the company has yet to announce pricing. However, Apple warns in the fine print on its website that CDMA functionality is only available on the handset if it is "sold and activated for use on a CDMA network."

Apple will likely have bolstered its servers in preparation for crushing pre-order demand. Last year, the company experienced a meltdown with its online store and phone lines due to overwhelming customer interest in pre-ordering the iPhone 4.

Total pre-order sales are expected to outstrip last year's record, given that 16 months have passed since the iPhone 4 was released and Sprint and Verizon are generally believed to have pent up demand among their subscribers. Though Verizon began selling the iPhone 4 in February, recent surveys have suggested that many of the carrier's subscribers have been waiting for the release of a new iPhone.

Analyst Brian White with Ticonderoga Securities believes the fifth-generation iPhone will "shatter" sales records set by the iPhone 4 last year.
post #2 of 246
All I'm seeing is "We'll be back soon". I'm not seeing any pre-order availability at all yet. 2:15 AM CST.
post #3 of 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akac View Post

All I'm seeing is "We'll be back soon". I'm not seeing any pre-order availability at all yet. 2:15 AM CST.

Yeah, same here. I'm staring at the AT&T and Apple websites and no go so far.
post #4 of 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by Negafox View Post

ATT seems ready..but I'm not sure whether to pull the trigger there or Apple.com.
post #5 of 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by Negafox View Post

Yep, 12:18 AM PST, still "We'll be back soon."
post #6 of 246
Verizon was up 3 minutes early. Ordered with no issues
post #7 of 246
Awesome -.-
post #8 of 246
AT&T finally showed it...but the site is going slowly.
post #9 of 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by LionFan View Post

Verizon was up 3 minutes early. Ordered with no issues

any luck with Sprint? I can't get past the pre-order button. Arrrrrrgh!
post #10 of 246
Ack, no. AT&T shows iPhone 4s in the upgrade screen, but then only old iPhone 4s in the device selector.
post #11 of 246
Quote:

I got past the check upgrade part and then it gave me an error and said "Cannot complete online call M-F..blah blah"
post #12 of 246
store.apple.com/ca is not live yet…

iMac mid 2011 • 27 in • 3,4 GHz Core i7 • 32 GB RAM • AMD Radeon HD 6970M 2GB VRAM

iMac mid 2011 • 27 in • 3,4 GHz Core i7 • 32 GB RAM • AMD Radeon HD 6970M 2GB VRAM

post #13 of 246
Hello, I am not sure how to start a new forum on this site. I want to start one called bronze statute of steve at 1 infinite loop. I think that a tribute to him would be nice at the apple HQ. Maybe one of him holding an iPod Classic. He deserves some sort of recognition to show all the new generations who are getting to know the products he designed that he was the reason Apple came back from the brink and that he was the reason the i generation existed in personal devices. I wish I could start a thread here to get the apple insiders attention. Is any one else with me.
An Apple man since 1977
An Apple man since 1977
post #14 of 246
I'm still not able to buy or see the iPhone 4s. All I see is the iPhone 4. No go at Apple site.

What gives?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Granmastak: Labor unions managed to kill manufacturing a long time ago with their unreasonable demands. Now the people they were trying to protect, are out of a job.
Originally Posted by Granmastak: Labor unions managed to kill manufacturing a long time ago with their unreasonable demands. Now the people they were trying to protect, are out of a job.
post #15 of 246
Quote:

Ack, no. AT&T shows iPhone 4s in the upgrade screen, but then only old iPhone 4s in the device selector.

That's what I'm seeing as well.
post #16 of 246
I was able to preorder an iPhone 4S through Verizon for my wife, but I'm on AT&T, and I'm having trouble getting my phone now with AT&T. I hit the "pre-order" button, but the next page only gave me the option to order the standard iPhone 4, not the 4S. Apple Store is down too. Frustrating.
post #17 of 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by artificialintel View Post

That's what I'm seeing as well.

Apple's store is still NOT BACK WHAT THE HELL
Powerbook G4 1.3 GHZ MBP(Early 2011)i5,iPhone 4 16GB(CDMA),iPad 2 3G 64GB,iPhone 4S 32 GB(GSM),TV,Time Capsule 2TB
Powerbook G4 1.3 GHZ MBP(Early 2011)i5,iPhone 4 16GB(CDMA),iPad 2 3G 64GB,iPhone 4S 32 GB(GSM),TV,Time Capsule 2TB
post #18 of 246
Ugh. Still getting "We'll be back soon" at the Apple online store. It's 3:26 AM EDT!

Is anyone getting to the Apple online store?
post #19 of 246
Apple store is still "We'll be back soon" and AT&T gives me an error after I pass the eligibility check. 12:25am. I'm surprised that the blogs are all reporting that pre orders have begun when Apple hasn't started yet.
post #20 of 246
[QUOTE=AppleInsider;1959806]Apple and select partners began taking pre-orders of its new iPhone 4S smartphone early Friday ahead of its October 14th launch date.

As promised, ......

AT 3:26 EST Att site unavailable - but apple store still "We'll be back soon." So are these headlines news or speculation?
post #21 of 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by rf9 View Post

Apple store is still "We'll be back soon" and AT&T gives me an error after I pass the eligibility check. 12:25am. I'm surprised that the blogs are all reporting that pre orders have begun when Apple hasn't started yet.

I could have pulled the trigger via the ATT app...but it was not clear I was keeping my grandfathered unlimited data

I'm on hold and trying to work with ATT site, its not going to well
post #22 of 246
I'm kind of glad I have to wait until mid-November to get the reduced pricing.
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
Dick Applebaum on whether the iPad is a personal computer: "BTW, I am posting this from my iPad pc while sitting on the throne... personal enough for you?"
post #23 of 246
Journalism laziness is what it is. I woke up at 3 a.m. EST for nothing.

Why does verizon got its sh*t together but not Apple or AT&T? This has nothing to do wireless network infrastructure.

[QUOTE=Right_said_fred;1959835][QUOTE=AppleInsider;

AT 3:26 EST Att site unavailable - but apple store still will be beach zoo. So is thos news or speculation?[/QUOTE]
post #24 of 246
And Great 611 hung up on me!!!! damnit!

I'll gladly wait till launch or after to get the phone as long as I can keep my unlimited data
post #25 of 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

LOL you tell yourself whatever makes you feel better

I feel like a kid on Christmas morning!
post #26 of 246
It's now 12:31 AM and I still can't get past the intro page on the Apple iPhone 4s page. I've tried calling Apple, but even when it rings it simply says they have a high call volume and it hangs up. The Apple Store on my iPhone simply says "we'll be back soon." The AT&T website allows me to confirm eligibility for an upgrade, but it then forwards to an error page.
This feels like trying to buy Goo Goo Doll tickets online in 1999.
post #27 of 246
Come on Apple! it's 3:33 EDT!!! Update the store for once!

post #28 of 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayaryaan View Post

It's now 12:31 AM and I still can't get past the intro page on the Apple iPhone 4s page. I've tried calling Apple, but even when it rings it simply says they have a high call volume and it hangs up. The Apple Store on my iPhone simply says "we'll be back soon." The AT&T website allows me to confirm eligibility for an upgrade, but it then forwards to an error page.
This feels like trying to buy Goo Goo Doll tickets online in 1999.

611 now gives me a BUSY SIGNAL when choosing the upgrade option...wow ATT. Super Fail

Cant believe apple and ATT, the ones that've been doing this the longest seem the least prepared
post #29 of 246
As of 0333 EST Apple store still down and AT&T giving errors so they traffic must be causing problems upgrading.
post #30 of 246
Most likely there is a herd of engineers all sweating trying to finish their task so that the store can go online.
post #31 of 246
Still getting "We'll be back soon" here too, as of 3:34am Eastern.

Meh, I've had like 35 cups of coffee today. I can wait.
post #32 of 246
I thought no one was supposed to care about this upgrade. I thought it was supposed to be easy this time around since NO ONE considered this phone worthwhile.
Apple has no competition. Every commercial product which competes directly with an Apple product gives the distinct impression that, Where it is original, it is not good, and where it is good, it...
Apple has no competition. Every commercial product which competes directly with an Apple product gives the distinct impression that, Where it is original, it is not good, and where it is good, it...
post #33 of 246
That's fandroid wishful thinking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac Voyer View Post

I thought no one was supposed to care about this upgrade. I thought it was supposed to be easy this time around since NO ONE considered this phone worthwhile.
post #34 of 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Quote:

Most likely there is a herd of engineers all sweating trying to finish their task so that the store can go online.

And someone's probably going to get chewed out by Tim Cook after this is over.
post #35 of 246
Quote:

Probably mostly 3GS users that have been out of contract for a few months (myself included).
post #36 of 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by dittrimd View Post

As of 0333 EST Apple store still down and AT&T giving errors so they traffic must be causing problems upgrading.

Still down, disappointing also that Apple Insider posted this article based on speculation, not actual fact.
The truth will set you free.
The truth will set you free.
post #37 of 246
As usual, Apple drops the ball as it relates to the customer demand. Don't promise anything you can't deliver!
post #38 of 246
And those of us 4 owners who see Siri and see the future and want a taste now.
post #39 of 246
Quote:

You thought wrong. Go check some of the mobile phone blogs. Everyone is expecting record turnout on this upgrade. Yes, there are a lot of loud "poo-pooers" out there but that's a vocal minority. They can't keep us rabbid fanboys from upgrading.
post #40 of 246
Quote:

Yeah. What's the big deal. This iPhone upgrade is a complete fail. Nobody wants this upgrade, so you can all go back to bed.

Maybe now I can get my order in.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple initiates pre-orders for iPhone 4S