or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Jailbreakers hack iOS on Apple TV to run full-screen iPad apps
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Jailbreakers hack iOS on Apple TV to run full-screen iPad apps

post #1 of 107
Thread Starter 
Hackers have developed a workaround that enables full-screen versions of iOS apps for the iPad to run on a jailbroken Apple TV device.

Steve Troughton-Smith and a developer known as "TheMudkip" published over the weekend photos and video of the hack, dubbed MobileX, for Apple's set-top box.

"MobileX is a window manager for iOS that replaces springboard with the added bonus of letting iPhone and iPad apps run on the Apple TV," Troughton-Smith said in the video, adding that "any apps just run and scale up to the 720p resolution adequately."

The hack appears to be in its early stages and has yet to be released to the public. In order to run the utility, the developers first performed the "Seas0nPass" jailbreak on the Apple TV. Apple has warned in the past that the jailbreak process, which allows users to run unauthorized code and apps on iOS, may void a device's warranty.

Given that the Apple TV doesn't include a full-featured input method such as a touchscreen, the pair used a combination of Virtual Network Computing (VNC), Secure Shell (SSH) and the Apple Remote to control the device. According to them, MobileX features a built-in menu that allows users to "quit apps, launch Safari, connect to Wi-Fi or show multiple apps side by side" from the Apple Remote.



Troughton-Smith demoed the iPad version of the FaceBook app and claimed that any of Apple's own apps, such as Safari, Maps and YouTube also work well. VNC did, however, cause some sluggishness in some of the apps, though Troughton-Smith noted that a direct input method such as a remote or a mouse or keyboard would make performance "much smoother."

Rumors of an AppleTV model that would allow access to the App Store have swirled for years, but developers appear to have taken matters into their own hands.

"If Apple isn't going to give us a way to make real AppleTV apps, then I guess we'll have to make one ourselves," Troughton-Smith wrote in the video's description on YouTube.

Credit: Steve Troughton-Smith.

Apple released the latest version of the Apple TV in September 2010. The $99 set-top box runs on the company's A4 processor and is a fourth the size of the first generation Apple TV.

The hack comes even as speculation on an upcoming Apple television set has heightened considerably. The release of late co-founder Steve Jobs' biography set off a flurry of rumors after revealing that Jobs believed he had "cracked" the secret for a connected TV interface. Since then, reports have suggested that an Apple television will run on custom-built chips similar to those powering the iPhone and iPad and may come in three sizes.
post #2 of 107
I hope that he lives in a country where he can be arrested and put in jail for this. Let's see if he can do a REAL "Jailbreak"!

/s
post #3 of 107
I hope you have bad luck all your life.
post #4 of 107
the issue has been addressed, so please disregard....


Quote:
Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post

I hope that he lives in a country where he can be arrested and put in jail for this. Let's see if he can do a REAL "Jailbreak"!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post

I hope you have bad luck all your life.

Really, guys? Do you really need to wish general ill on people that have done nothing to you? I think it says more about who you really are than the people that you hate.
post #5 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The hack appears to be in its early stages and has yet to be released to the public. In order to run the utility, the developers first performed the "Seas0nPass" jailbreak on the Apple TV. Apple has warned in the past that the jailbreak process, which allows users to run unauthorized code and apps on iOS, may void a device's warranty.

I thought that was settled law last year? I'm aware Apple after the fact still timidly stated that jailbreaking could void your warranty.
http://www.cultofmac.com/52463/apple...your-warranty/

Has it been officially clarified since last year, or has anyone been denied warranty coverage on a jailbroken iDevice since last June?
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #6 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Has it been officially clarified since last year, or has anyone been denied warranty coverage on a jailbroken iDevice since last June?

Are you kidding? Of course they have.

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply
post #7 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Are you kidding? Of course they have.

No I wasn't kidding. I've never attempted warranty on a jailbroken iDevice.\

So "of course they have" what?

Denied warranty coverage, clarified their position or both?
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #8 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

So "of course they have" what?

Denied warranty coverage

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply
post #9 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Denied warranty coverage…

Thanks. I just found the same in some iPhone forums. They explained that jialbreaking is perfectly legal, but Apple can still deny warranty coverage under their terms of service. Makes sense.

I also noticed more than one mention of a Genius restoring the OS and honoring warranty anyway as a courtesy. A nice gesture, but others pointed out to just do a restore yourself and not take the chance.

Certainly clarified things for me.

Thanks for the followup Tallest Skil.
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #10 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Thanks. I just found the same in some iPhone forums. They explained that jialbreaking is perfectly legal, but Apple can still deny warranty coverage under their terms of service. Makes sense.

I also noticed more than one mention of a Genius restoring the OS and honoring warranty anyway as a courtesy. A nice gesture, but others pointed out to just do a restore yourself and not take the chance.

Certainly clarified things for me.

Thanks for the followup Tallest Skil.

It's pretty much moot since nearly all people who jailbreak restores their phones to factory settings before taking it to a genius anyway.
2010 mac mini/iPad OG/iPhone 4/appletv OG/appletv 2/ BT trackpad and keyboard/time capsule/ Wii
Reply
2010 mac mini/iPad OG/iPhone 4/appletv OG/appletv 2/ BT trackpad and keyboard/time capsule/ Wii
Reply
post #11 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post

I hope that he lives in a country where he can be arrested and put in jail for this. Let's see if he can do a REAL "Jailbreak"!

Such unwarranted hate. Arrested for what exactly? There's no wrongdoing here such as offering illegal software for download.
post #12 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post

I hope that he lives in a country where he can be arrested and put in jail for this. Let's see if he can do a REAL "Jailbreak"!

What?? This is awesome! Can't wait to use this.
post #13 of 107
Ah well, it might help boost Apple TV sales if nothing else. Although it looks like the Apple TV is selling quite well this Christmas.
post #14 of 107
It would be sick if you could have full screen TV apps and control it with your iPhone over wireless. Apple already has the best (possible) "remote control" on the market = the iPhone.

post #15 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"If Apple isn't going to give us a way to make real AppleTV apps, then I guess we'll have to make one ourselves," Troughton-Smith wrote in the video's description on YouTube.

For Apple, it's not just about making a solution but a solution that works well and that people want to use. I could be wrong in thinking that people don't want to sit on the sofa with a keyboard and trackpad but I can't recall anyone ever doing this.

The human-phone/tablet interaction has been figured out. The human-computer interaction needs a little work but I expect Apple is working on this. The human-TV interaction has been very poor up until the Wii came along and the Kinect offered an alternative but they are still not solutions for inputting text reliably.

I personally think there needs to be a way to input text without a keyboard. This of course is where Siri would excel. You could have a physical Siri button on your remote along with a mic (to prevent accidental input). You press it to speak into your remote and it does its thing. I don't think that's enough though - I think that the remote has to be a Wii-like pointer coupled with a multi-touch surface.

You turn on the TV and you get the standard UI but the remote pointer acts as a selection mechanism so move it left to right to choose the menu item and use your vertical thumb swipe to scroll.
If you open a browser, use the pointer to highlight the search box, then push the Siri button:
"visit Amazon.com"
Then it loads and you again just hover your remote around. There is no cursor like the Wii though, it's just active selection states like the find option in the browser.
To zoom in, you either double-tap or pinch-zoom.
The voice dictation might get a bit tedious to rely on if it's not working right for you but the backup could be a popup keyboard that you use the wand to select the keys (possibly like Swype) or it could use a mapping between the touch surface and the keyboard panel like a Wacom does for your screen (might need proximity sensing though).

I can't see many useful apps coming until they get the interaction right. People have been experimenting with these concepts and you can see how you would be able to translate iOS apps into that method of interaction:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYuV_MRYbD8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xb1J9kHFkyU

I think the cursor is messy but having a selection state API would work ok. In the case of Angry Birds, you would just point the remote near the bird, it would be highlighted and you'd use the multi-touch pad with your thumb to pull the catapult back. Similarly with Fruit Ninja, just aim and swipe. Racing games should be ok too as you can just point the remote where you want for left-right, swipe up to boost, swipe down to brake. You'd have to rest your hand on your knee for long sessions.

This Magic Remote (or Magic Wand) would have to have an internal rechargeable battery that would be charged inductively by sitting it on top of the TV. If it ran too low on battery power, it would drop to reduced functionality to allow basic navigation but no Wii-like pointing until charged.
post #16 of 107
I want to see iApps running on the MACINTOSH !
post #17 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Really, guys? Do you really need to wish general ill on people that have done nothing to you? I think it says more about who you really are than the people that you hate.

I agree about the ill will and hate. Stupid. However I feel sorry for the types that will try this and wind up bricking their ATV. They of course will try to obtain warranty service and will probably be denied. Who will they blame? Themselves? Nope. It will the evil Apple they blame. Apple takes the hit on customer satisfaction. Apple's name is dragged through the mud. The anonymous hackers are off the hook. On the other hand your are only out $99 if you hose your ATV and Apple tells you to take a hike.

Jailbreakers are not good for the Apple community n any way.
post #18 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrr View Post

I want to see iApps running on the MACINTOSH !

Me too!
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Jailbreakers are not good for the Apple community n any way.

I'm not a fan of jailbreaking don't do it to my advices, BUT I have to disagree with this. There have been quite a few features/functions that jailbreakers that end up in the official OS and Apple has welcomed some of these jailbreakers into the fold as interns and employees.
2010 mac mini/iPad OG/iPhone 4/appletv OG/appletv 2/ BT trackpad and keyboard/time capsule/ Wii
Reply
2010 mac mini/iPad OG/iPhone 4/appletv OG/appletv 2/ BT trackpad and keyboard/time capsule/ Wii
Reply
post #19 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrr View Post

I want to see iApps running on the MACINTOSH !

That's the last thing I ever want to see.

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply
post #20 of 107
I don't see that this is particularly better than AirPlay mirroring. I guess it'd be a bit useful if you don't have a device that can do that, but it seems like a lot of trouble for not a lot of benefit.
post #21 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

I thought that was settled law last year? I'm aware Apple after the fact still timidly stated that jailbreaking could void your warranty.


The legal change was that you won't be arrested and can't be sued for it. No where does it require that companies still warranty items that have been tampered with.

Apple considers this the same as you going on and removing the logic board that shipped with the unit for a 3rd party one. It's not an authorized change so if you screw it up, too dang bad.


As for this jailbreak, yeah it is nifty to see that someone can do it but is it worth it. Consider the apps we are talking about, 99% of them gain nothing by being on the TV and using them requires a set up that is pretty much building a computer to have any control. Not really worth it for most folks.

Apple has been selective with what apps they put on the TV but at least the apps benefit from being put there. Via Airplay and AP Mirroring they gave a way for developers to work with the Apple TV off a device so you have the visuals on the tv and still have a working controller. And all without jail breaking. If these guys really want to do something nifty and useful, now about reverse engineering and making an iOS emulator to run at least on Macs. It could tide us over until Apple decides to do it natively in Mac 11/12

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply
post #22 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Really, guys? Do you really need to wish general ill on people that have done nothing to you? I think it says more about who you really are than the people that you hate.

He started it sir!
post #23 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

That's the last thing I ever want to see.

I could think of a few that I would like as widgets. Of course Lion screwed up the widgets since they go to a new screen instead of overlaying the desktop. I used to use the calculator to add up numbers in an email or web page but now you can't do that any more, at least as far as I know, since the list of numbers is not visible after invoking the widgets. One app in particular that would be helpful is iConvert which I use all the time on my iPhone but it would be quite convenient on the Mac as well. Until I can figure out how to have widgets overlay the desktop in Lion, it is a non issue. Fortunately I'm still on SL for my workstation at the office, using Lion only on my MBP.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #24 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by freckledbruh View Post

It's pretty much moot since nearly all people who jailbreak restores their phones to factory settings before taking it to a genius anyway.

No they don't. I have a friend that worked as a Genius up until Aug of this year and he said they get folks in at least once an hour that jailbreak and even unlock their phones and try to act like they didn't. They try to claim they bought it from Apple that way, not knowing that the Geniuses have that information in their system and know that the phone was not bought with an authorized unlock. They try to claim that their brother did it or they bought it second hand and it was already like that and the Geniuses have to tell them that they need to go back to that person and get them to fix it or else all they can do at the store is restore it (without the jailbreak/unlock). Even if it could be a hardware problem they will not swap a phone, iPod touch or iPad that has been jailbroken because that tampering can also cause many problems and first they have to eliminate that issue from the list. If the phone or whatever is restored and the problem still happens, then they can call it hardware defect and swap it

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply
post #25 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

No they don't. I have a friend that worked as a Genius up until Aug of this year and he said they get folks in at least once an hour that jailbreak and even unlock their phones and try to act like they didn't. They try to claim they bought it from Apple that way, not knowing that the Geniuses have that information in their system and know that the phone was not bought with an authorized unlock. They try to claim that their brother did it or they bought it second hand and it was already like that and the Geniuses have to tell them that they need to go back to that person and get them to fix it or else all they can do at the store is restore it (without the jailbreak/unlock). Even if it could be a hardware problem they will not swap a phone, iPod touch or iPad that has been jailbroken because that tampering can also cause many problems and first they have to eliminate that issue from the list. If the phone or whatever is restored and the problem still happens, then they can call it hardware defect and swap it

I guess I should have said "most in my experience" because all of the people I know who had jailbroken (and ended up having issues go figure?) always restored before heading to the Apple store.
2010 mac mini/iPad OG/iPhone 4/appletv OG/appletv 2/ BT trackpad and keyboard/time capsule/ Wii
Reply
2010 mac mini/iPad OG/iPhone 4/appletv OG/appletv 2/ BT trackpad and keyboard/time capsule/ Wii
Reply
post #26 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

That's the last thing I ever want to see.

So does apple. They are doing everything they can to kill the Mac. Real shame.
post #27 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obama View Post

So does apple.

I think you want to check my position again.

Quote:
They are doing everything they can to kill the Mac.

Not in the slightest.

Quote:
Real shame.

That you're completely wrong, yeah.

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply
post #28 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM
Really, guys? Do you really need to wish general ill on people that have done nothing to you? I think it says more about who you really are than the people that you hate.

i can't imagine somebody burning down my neighbors house or other heinous crimes not getting your dander up.

not even for people who you don't know or will ever know. a blanket "no feelings or revenge" message will never happen. forgive and let live statements are great until they affect your morality despite having no contact.

temporarily forget about humans. just think about animal cruelty. michael vick got away free, basically.
post #29 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post

I hope that he lives in a country where he can be arrested and put in jail for this. Let's see if he can do a REAL "Jailbreak"!

I really don't understand why you would say that... This may be a nice way to used the current version Apple TV after Apple stop supporting it because of a new device.

ATV1 comes to my mind, its out of the loop of new features from Apple. Being able to jailbreak it can give it a new life. And since its no longer on warranty there is no risk of anything.
post #30 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Denied warranty coverage

They won't bother with it if you put back Apple official iOS before going to service it. I know someone who did this and it worked.

Imo the reason behind it is Apple doesn't want give support for people who are in trouble because they hack there device.
post #31 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post

I hope you have bad luck all your life.

That is too long a time
post #32 of 107
Why can't Apple make it a tv/game console, or just game console out of it? Using some of the similar components as the iPod touch, and iOS, would that be an easy port? New game store, new money stream. All the other digital stores at least break even. What sort of controller would it use? A Wii style controller for those that don't have an iDevice? A iPhone/iPod/iPad screen with customized control?
post #33 of 107
I hope they put out a video of the ATV running a few games. Would be interesting to see if the current hardware can handle some of the better iOS games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post

I hope that he lives in a country where he can be arrested and put in jail for this. Let's see if he can do a REAL "Jailbreak"!

I'm assuming—hoping—you meant this ironically. If not, that has to be one of the most asinine things I've seen posted to the Internet in a long time.
post #34 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightstriker View Post

Why can't Apple make it a tv/game console,

Absolutely no money in consoles. Absolutely no sense in licensing hundreds of existing game developers, and if they DIDN'T (and just went the App Store route) they'd tick off the existing console studios and none of their games would be made for it. It would flop immediately.

Quote:
or just game console out of it?

Don't remember the Pippin, do you?

There's no way that a game console is a good idea.

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply
post #35 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtDecoDalek View Post

I don't see that this is particularly better than AirPlay mirroring. I guess it'd be a bit useful if you don't have a device that can do that, but it seems like a lot of trouble for not a lot of benefit.

I don't know about you but Airplay mirroring doesn't work very well with graphic intensive games. There is latency, lag and skip frames. I think for this to work seamlessly we will need an A5+ in the ATV or more powerful idevices (A6+) depending on where the bottleneck is.
post #36 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post

I hope that he lives in a country where he can be arrested and put in jail for this. Let's see if he can do a REAL "Jailbreak"!

I know you have your fingers in a L shape on your forehead right now.
post #37 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Absolutely no money in consoles. Absolutely no sense in licensing hundreds of existing game developers, and if they DIDN'T (and just went the App Store route) they'd tick off the existing console studios and none of their games would be made for it. It would flop immediately.
Don't remember the Pippin, do you?
There's no way that a game console is a good idea.

on the other hand I am confident the next ATV will support native gaming apps. So they will indirectly enters the console market. An A6 ATV could give a run for its money to current gaming console in terms of CPU power.
post #38 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrr View Post

I want to see iApps running on the MACINTOSH !

that's like using one of these:


to transport just one of these:



from the shops.

Easily done but wrong on so many levels.
post #39 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

I thought that was settled law last year? I'm aware Apple after the fact still timidly stated that jailbreaking could void your warranty.
http://www.cultofmac.com/52463/apple...your-warranty/

Has it been officially clarified since last year, or has anyone been denied warranty coverage on a jailbroken iDevice since last June?

Not a big deal but you are wrong about this. A warranty is entirely up to the company and has nothing to do with "the law" per se. They write the warranty, they get to say what's in it and what's not in it. Period.

If Apple wants to void your warranty for jail breaking and if said clause is actually in the warranty when you buy the product then that's it. There is no law that they have to provide a warranty in any certain way, except if they are breaking some other law in the process. It's entirely up to the company.
post #40 of 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Not a big deal but you are wrong about this. A warranty is entirely up to the company and has nothing to do with "the law" per se. They write the warranty, they get to say what's in it and what's not in it. Period.

If Apple wants to void your warranty for jail breaking and if said clause is actually in the warranty when you buy the product then that's it. There is no law that they have to provide a warranty in any certain way, except if they are breaking some other law in the process. It's entirely up to the company.

Thanks Professor. I already posted much the same thing back in post #9

". . .jailbreaking is perfectly legal, but Apple can still deny warranty coverage under their terms of service. Makes sense. "
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Jailbreakers hack iOS on Apple TV to run full-screen iPad apps