or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Rumor: Apple may charge $80 more for 'iPad 3' with Retina Display

Rumor: Apple may charge $80 more for 'iPad 3' with Retina Display - Page 2

post #41 of 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

$80 bucks more or less makes zero difference to me and it doesn't matter to the majority of Apple users either. If the extra tech included in the iPad 3 warrants the increase in price, then so be it. Those who want an iPad 3 will get one, and those that don't, well they won't.

I don't read anything funny in that statement.

Quote:

Perhaps. They did just get 25% raises didn't they?

Is that funny?

Quote:

The iPad 3 is going to sell like hotcakes, even if it's $580. Do you really think that $80 is going to change anybody's mind, besides a couple of people?

Is that funny?

(Is this where I'm supposed to insert the "smokey" smiley? - I have such a hard time expressing myself with mere written English.)
post #42 of 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcfa View Post

Will you guys EVER learn math?
A retina display that has double the dpi has FOUR TIMES THE RESOLUTION, not double the resolution, because resolution goes by the square. e.g. You have a 1 by 1 square pixel and now that will become a 2 by 2 square if you double the dpi; but a 2 by 2 contains 4 pixels while a 1 by 1 contains 1 pixel; as you see the resolution, i.e. pixel count is quadrupled not doubled.
As you can see, this can be solved without the use of advanced math; yet AI gets this CONSISTENTLY WRONG. Would the editors please take note?

Since you didn't seem to get it last time, I'll just copy my other reply to this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Twice the resolution = four times the pixels.

Super Hi-Vision, for example, has four times the resolution and 16 times the pixels as 1080p. Get it?

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

post #43 of 192
BS iPad 3 will be the same and there won't be 2 new models either...
post #44 of 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtm135 View Post

wow. SO many apple apologists...

Apple already makes a hefty margin on these. Considering the Android onslaught, they should accept a reduced profit in exchange for getting more of their product out there.

There is no Android onslaught. Where do you get your facts from? Android tablets have failed miserably.

And Apple's strategy is not the same as Google's. Apple doesn't need to get more of their product out there. How many iPad 2's did they sell last year again?
post #45 of 192
A lot of you are saying it won't make a difference, but I can tell you it will make a difference to me. I'm trying to figure out how to get two iPad 3's, one for myself and one for my wife (share? never!), and I've been ballparking everything at $500 a piece, and trying to sell old laptops that we don't really use. So an extra $160 will definitely make a difference between buying one iPad 3 or two.
post #46 of 192
Quote:

Perhaps. They did just get 25% raises didn't they?

And I bet that the people who will whine the most about Apple's prices are many of the same hypocritical people who whined about the working conditions. These people should now be glad and they should be happy to pay more for their new iPad, otherwise they should just STFU.

There is no conceivable way that Foxconn's raises would equate an $80 increase per unit.
post #47 of 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerMach View Post

I don't read anything funny in that statement.

Then don't laugh.

Quote:

Is that funny?

Yes it is. There is a deeper back story behind that comment. Those who know it will find it funny, those who don't won't.

Quote:

Is that funny?

I can't answer that for you. Do you have a sense of humor?
post #48 of 192
As to raising the price on the iPad:

1. When the iPad came out (1st Gen), I purchased the most expensive model. 16GB/no 3g seemed pretty lame to me.

2. iPad 2 came out, I skipped it. Camera? Meh. Faster, thinner, lighter? Sure, but it's just a tablet I use to surf the internet when I'm on the couch.

3. iPad 3? It's several years later, I wouldn't be surprised to see a price increase for additional technology. If it truly is better, then I would pay a slight increase for that.
post #49 of 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtm135 View Post

Apple already makes a hefty margin on these. Considering the Android onslaught, they should accept a reduced profit in exchange for getting more of their product out there.

Which would make sense if they had trouble selling as many as they could make. So far there is no evidence to suggest that.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #50 of 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conrail View Post

There is no conceivable way that Foxconn's raises would equate an $80 increase per unit.

Of course not, it was a joke aimed at the anti-Apple whiners who like to whine about the working conditions. I already pointed out that if there is a price increase, then it's most likely because of added hardware costs due to the new tech.
post #51 of 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by jglonek View Post

A lot of you are saying it won't make a difference, but I can tell you it will make a difference to me. I'm trying to figure out how to get two iPad 3's, one for myself and one for my wife (share? never!), and I've been ballparking everything at $500 a piece, and trying to sell old laptops that we don't really use. So an extra $160 will definitely make a difference between buying one iPad 3 or two.

Well, not being able to have multiple users makes it a little difficult to share, unless you're buying a $500 (sorry, $580) Angry Birds player.

And you're right about the price. "Shut up and take my money" can only carry them so far.
post #52 of 192
Quote:

This forum would be better without the stupid f'in animated smileys.

What about Retina Smileys?
post #53 of 192
Those who've actually owned an iPad know the vast usefulness of it, and realize the seemingly overpriced-ness of it is not really that bad. You are not seriously going to get it for your mom to just let her "check her email", she's going to want to do far more than that. Having said that, we've been conditioned to expect to pay $1k for a useful piece of technology every 2 years, so the [500-1000] price point is great whatever it is. I wasn't that happy with the iPad2 camera, but most of the features outweigh any of the sucky ones.
post #54 of 192
$80 premium for an "iPad Pro"? Bring it on, I'm sure it'll still sell very well
post #55 of 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by jglonek View Post

Then buy two iPad 2s and you save money. Or one iPad 3 and one iPad 2 and pretty much break even or save a little money.

The question isn't how a price increase for the needed HW will affect your buying habit but how this will affect Apple's ability to sell all they can make. Do you think they will sell more than the 15 million they sold in the holiday quarter? I do.

post #56 of 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd_in_sb View Post

$500 is a psychological barrier for many. I would be surprised if Apple crossed that threshold by adding $80.

Psychological barrier? "of, pertaining to, dealing with, or affecting the mind, especially as a function of awareness, feeling, or motivation". I think you are giving too much credit - assuming that the buyers would make a clear logical decision based on facts. Any iPad purchase is 95% ego and 5% facts.

When people used to save up to buy a product, $500 might have been a price barrier to some, but for most of the people buying iPad's and iPhone's what only matters is if their credit card is accepted after standing in line outside the Apple store.

As long as they can make their minimum monthly payment they are good to go, and then they are free to post comments about how Apple should pay a dividend, or pay more to foreign workers, or release a 7" tablet, or any of the hundred other topics they are clueless about.

Unless of course they get a Groupon coupon.
post #57 of 192
Quote:

I'm worried about this.

Don't worry too much.

Apple knows how to price products to yield the highest total profits.

Apple is also branching out to various (lower) price points, as evidenced by the FreeGS.

Whatever Apple decides will likely be wise. Apple knows how to rake in profits. So far, their pricing strategies have worked remarkably well.
post #58 of 192
I don't know what to think...

I wish Apple would stop being stingy and double the storage capacities across the board. 16GB for the first gen entry-level, OK, I'm fine with that. 16GB for the second gen, it's Apple, alright, I'll live with it.

But for the third gen, I damn sure expect them to start at 32GB entry-level and top out at 128GB. Apple has a history of being stingy when it comes to storage space and ram though.

$579 for a Retina Display and 32GB, and we have a deal, Apple
post #59 of 192
Hope Apple keep with the same price structure.
It would put them further ahead of the game compared to the competition.
Might as well go for the kill.
post #60 of 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

I wish Apple would stop being stingy and double the storage capacities across the board. 16GB for the first gen entry-level, OK, I'm fine with that. 16GB for the second gen, it's Apple, alright, I'll live with it.

But for the third gen, I damn sure expect them to start at 32GB entry-level and top out at 128GB. Apple has a history of being stingy when it comes to storage space and ram though.

Do you mean double the NAND flash modules or shrinking the NAND flash by half to get double the capacity in the same space? One has an issue with space and cost, while the other has an issue with speed and reliability. So which one do you prefer?

Note the rate of increase if you expect a doubling of storage every two years? Do you see how that just isn't feasible?

post #61 of 192
Quote:

I agree that the iPad 2 screen looks great, I'm perfectly happy with mine too. But I wonder how much more amazing the iPad 3 screen looks. Four times the amount of pixels seems insane.

The iPhone benefits greatly from the increased dpi. I agree that an iPad with a high rez screen would be great. People who use it to view photos and videos (which I imagine is a LOT of people) would love it.

But I doubt it will happen this time around.
post #62 of 192
I have been following these forums for ages although only just decided to join, so hello to everyone!

I really hope they don't increase the price although I understand if they do.

I've been saving for a while now and have managed to get the money together for the £399 price (hopefully plan to get it on launch day) but if they do raise it I may have to wait a little
post #63 of 192
Quote:

Nope, I'm genuinely worried. Apple needs to keep "This Year's Model" at the same price regardless of keeping around an old model.

All this talk in the media about working conditions in the far east may force manufacturers to raise wages which in turn may affect Apple product pricing. If so I wonder if it will also affect every other tech gadget makers' prices. In the end it could reflect badly on the ones that do not raise their prices because they won't be seen to be taking care of their supplier chain.

Just a thought
post #64 of 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am a Zither Zather Zuzz View Post

But I doubt it will happen this time around.

You doubt that what will happen? The retina display?

Why do you think that they'd be raising the price? All of the evidence so far seems to suggest a retina display.
post #65 of 192
Not my impression. Resolution of an image is 1D. It is the number of lines that can be discerned as 2 separate lines before the lines appear to fuse. That is, the number of lines that can be 'resolved' or discriminated. That's what Wikipedia says, too. ("image resolution').

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcfa View Post

Will you guys EVER learn math?
A retina display that has double the dpi has FOUR TIMES THE RESOLUTION, not double the resolution, because resolution goes by the square. e.g. You have a 1 by 1 square pixel and now that will become a 2 by 2 square if you double the dpi; but a 2 by 2 contains 4 pixels while a 1 by 1 contains 1 pixel; as you see the resolution, i.e. pixel count is quadrupled not doubled.
As you can see, this can be solved without the use of advanced math; yet AI gets this CONSISTENTLY WRONG. Would the editors please take note?
post #66 of 192
Where are these supposed prices coming from and do we even know if they're quoted in US dollars? There would have to be significant spec bumps for Apple to raise prices and still sell the iPad like "hotcakes".
post #67 of 192
I wondered how Apple would maintain margins with this dramatic improvement in display technology. It looks like we've uncovered the answer. I figured Apple might hold back on some of the improvements people were expecting until next year when manufacturing costs on the new display start to drop through volume. But perhaps you'll get a far better iPad 3 (more RAM, faster processor, better camera, etc.) this year by paying the $80 extra.
post #68 of 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

Only a matter of time. Currently it doesn't seem feasible to try and store all the videos for an entire university education from iTunesU. If they can do that, or say, store an entire student's education (K-12, undergrad), that would be amazing. eg. You could deploy all of the KhanAcademy on it to those less fortunate, and price a complete education for < $1K.
post #69 of 192
without looking closely my eyes can't tell the different between an iphone4 or iphone4s so to me the resolution is a non-issue. The battery life of the iPad2 is fine(I only use wifi).

I would pay for more processing power though. And Apple please drop the 16GB model.
post #70 of 192
I wonder if the same people complaining about a potential rise in costs are the same ones that were all pitchforks and torches for Apple to invest more money in policing the Chinese government over their labor laws and paying Foxconn's workers more money.

post #71 of 192
Quote:

This forum would be better without the stupid f'in animated smileys.

Agreed! Also is there a way to filter out one person's comments on these threads? I could sure use that ability. It would cut my reading time in half or more!
post #72 of 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by OriginalG View Post

$80 premium for an "iPad Pro"? Bring it on, I'm sure it'll still sell very well

What's an "iPad Pro"? So far none of the rumors have suggested that the new iPad would be some "pro" model for high-end customers. I mean we don't even know for sure if Apple will continue to sell iPad2 once iPad 3 (or whatever they call it) is released.
post #73 of 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by eksodos View Post

I wondered how Apple would maintain margins with this dramatic improvement in display technology. It looks like we've uncovered the answer. I figured Apple might hold back on some of the improvements people were expecting until next year when manufacturing costs on the new display start to drop through volume. But perhaps you'll get a far better iPad 3 (more RAM, faster processor, better camera, etc.) this year by paying the $80 extra.

Since this HiDPI display rumour broke I was suggesting this could happen because unlike other new tech this display would require a lot of other tech to make it work. It's not just the resolution, but new IPS panel tech that will tax the battery less, more RAM and an improved GPU. The better camera is auxiliary but they should at least increase it to be good enough to showcase the display.

post #74 of 192
Quote:

I'm worried about this.

Well, if Apple really sees a price-related drop in iPad3 sales, they could just keep the iPad2 going longer. I haven't seen anybody even catch up to it, yet.
post #75 of 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjwal View Post

without looking closely my eyes can't tell the different between an iphone4 or iphone4s so to me the resolution is a non-issue.

That's not surprising as they have the same screen resolution.
post #76 of 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by paxman View Post

If so I wonder if it will also affect every other tech gadget makers' prices. In the end it could reflect badly on the ones that do not raise their prices because they won't be seen to be taking care of their supplier chain.

Nope. The ones who don't raise their prices will go completely and utterly unnoticed, just like right now.

Apple will be seen as a money-grubbing corporation trying to game every last dollar out of their customers "because they can". We'll see new trolls on here saying that Apple's doing it because "since people bought it at $499, they'll buy it at $599". Et cetera.

post #77 of 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by kube View Post

Not my impression. Resolution of an image is 1D. It is the number of lines that can be discerned as 2 separate lines before the lines appear to fuse. That is, the number of lines that can be 'resolved' or discriminated. That's what Wikipedia says, too. ("image resolution').

It's really very simple. When in doubt about what a parameter means, look at the units. Resolution is reported in dots per inch (or pixels per inch). That's a linear measurement.

Pixel density would be reported in dots (or pixels) per SQUARE inch.

So resolution scales with number of dots per inch. The rumored iPad HD (or whatever it's called) will have twice the resolution but 4 times the pixel density.

It's not rocket science, folks.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #78 of 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by bosco08 View Post

I agree. $499 still seems like "toy money" and very doable, but when the price is over $600 with tax......that's too much. I've been waiting for the retina display, but I'll be passing if it comes out at $580.

If the price goes up I'll pass!!!!!!!
post #79 of 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Who seriously isn't going to pay 8 to 16% more to get an iPad with an LG AH-IPS panel with 2048x1536 resolution that can hold the same battery life?

Me. Bad idea, prices should be going down not up.
post #80 of 192
Both ideas make sense to me: higher price for the retina display units (that cant be cheap to make), and non-retina models sold as wellstill great machines, at a low entry price. Maybe still $499, maybe lower.

Just give me a 128GB model at the top end, please!
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • Rumor: Apple may charge $80 more for 'iPad 3' with Retina Display
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Rumor: Apple may charge $80 more for 'iPad 3' with Retina Display