or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple climbs past Sony to become No. 2 brand in Asia
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple climbs past Sony to become No. 2 brand in Asia

post #1 of 38
Thread Starter 
Apple climbed four places to No. 2 in a recent survey of the top brands in Asia, while rival Samsung took the top spot.

Campaign Asia-Pacific outed on Thursday the new rankings in the results of its 2012 Asia's Top Brands report, which was co-produced with Nielsen, CNBC reports. In its ninth year, the annual report was compiled from a survey of 4,800 residents across Asia.

With Sony and Panasonic taking the third and fourth spots respectively, four out of the top five brands were consumer electronics companies. Fourth-place Nestle was the only non-electronics maker among the group.

"Samsung's sweep of the top spot can be attributed to the brand's dedication to product innovation within a wide range of consumer electronics," said Jolene Otremba, a reports editor for the magazine. "The brand's focus on high visibility marketing and advertising, as well as its commitment to developing brand presence in both new and mature markets has helped to give the brand a boost."

The survey results reflect the shift in brand value that smartphones and tablets have brought to Asia. Sony placed at the top of the list last year, but it slipped to No. 3 after being passed by both Samsung and Apple. Sony replaced its CEO earlier this year and has announced a restructuring intended to bring the company back to profitability.

Top brands in Asia


Asian consumers showed a stronger preference for luxury retail brands, such as Louis Vuitton and Calvin Klein, this year. Global brands also appeared to have gained more traction among respondents. For instance, only three local Chinese brands made the list of top 20 brands in the country, compared to eight brands in last year's results. Korean and Japan did, however, show a stronger loyalty to its "homegrown brands," the report noted, though it did point out that those brands are also global brands in their own rights.

As is to be expected, Samsung was the favorite brand in its home country of South Korea. It also placed first in Hong Kong, Malaysia, Thailand and Indonesia.

The Asia-Pacific region has been a key area of growth for Apple. iPhone sales in the company's APAC and Japan segments more than doubled in the March 2012 quarter when compared to a year ago. China in particular saw extraordinary growth of more than five times the year ago quarter.

Globally, Apple's brand has been recognized as one of the most valuable players. In May, Millward Brown declared the iPhone maker the world's most valuable brand with a valuation of $183 billion. Interbrands placed Apple at No. 8 among global brands in its rankings for 2011.
post #2 of 38

how reliable are these rankings? anyone?????
 

Happy DiNo ***MAC Pro*** 2X 3.2GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon 32GB RAM Mac Pro RAID Card 2 X 300GB 15,000-rpm SAS 2 X 1TB 7200-rpm Serial ATA 3GB/s NVIDIAQuadro FX 5600 1.5GB 2X 16x S-Drives AirPort...
Reply
Happy DiNo ***MAC Pro*** 2X 3.2GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon 32GB RAM Mac Pro RAID Card 2 X 300GB 15,000-rpm SAS 2 X 1TB 7200-rpm Serial ATA 3GB/s NVIDIAQuadro FX 5600 1.5GB 2X 16x S-Drives AirPort...
Reply
post #3 of 38
I have no love for Sony. Once Blu-Ray's reign is over, I won't have any need of the PS3. Yes, I have one, and yes, I wish it were as easy and as fuss free as the iOS / iTunes / iCloud universe. PS3 does have a few good console games that I like, but I won't cling to Sony for a few platform exclusives. The whole system feels like it was designed by Sony's lawyers to protect content copyrights. Also, Sony has dropped features since the original PS3 with mandatory firmware updates. With Sony, users are second class citizens.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #4 of 38

CORRECTION: "Samsung's sweep of the top spot can be attributed to the brand's dedication to product THEFT within a wide range of consumer electronics."

post #5 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

I have no love for Sony. Once Blu-Ray's reign is over, I won't have any need of the PS3. Yes, I have one, and yes, I wish it were as easy and as fuss free as the iOS / iTunes / iCloud universe. PS3 does have a few good console games that I like, but I won't cling to Sony for a few platform exclusives. The whole system feels like it was designed by Sony's lawyers to protect content copyrights. Also, Sony has dropped features since the original PS3 with mandatory firmware updates. With Sony, users are second class citizens.

 

Ah, yes, the Playstation 3: The only console that removes features when you update it.

 

Gotta love Sony doing that to their paying customers...

"That’s brilliant. I can see this annoying some people, but what doesn’t these days?" - PMZ
Reply
"That’s brilliant. I can see this annoying some people, but what doesn’t these days?" - PMZ
Reply
post #6 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"Samsung's sweep of the top spot can be attributed to the brand's dedication to product innovation within a wide range of consumer electronics," said Jolene Otremba, a reports editor for the magazine. 

The above sentence is surely a joke.

post #7 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

The above sentence is surely a joke.

 

What are you talking about? You seen S-Voice? Biggest software innovation I've seen in years, with an utterly original interface. 

post #8 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR View Post

Ah, yes, the Playstation 3: The only console that removes features when you update it.

Gotta love Sony doing that to their paying customers...

What abou the huge amount of features they have added? They more than make up for the one waste of time feature they removed.
post #9 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty321 View Post

CORRECTION: "Samsung's sweep of the top spot can be attributed to the brand's dedication to product THEFT within a wide range of consumer electronics."

 

Yes, in the way they STOLE the following innovations that Apple

 

Mobile Phone with built in Projector

OLED Display Technology

Smart Stay technology

Ability to run apps side by side on a tablet

Video pop up on mobile displays

....and the list goes on. All of those things were on COUNTLESS devices, especially the iphone, BEFORE Samsung did it. 

 

 

And of course, when Apple debut their TV, it will have nothing in common with Samsung units such as

 

16:9 ratio

Rectangular shape

Square Edges

Uncluttered Front

Voice Intereaction

Gesture Interaction

TV Apps

 

OF COURSE NOT, Apple would never STEAL those TV ideas from Samsung.....NEVER

 

Darn Samsung...what will they steal from Apple next? Drop down Notifications?


Edited by sleepy3 - 7/5/12 at 5:22am
post #10 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitro View Post

how reliable are these rankings? anyone?????

 

Such rankings affect neither my intention to purchase a company's product, nor its stock.

So, I guess, the answer, at least for me, is.....
post #11 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

What are you talking about? You seen S-Voice? Biggest software innovation I've seen in years, with an utterly original interface. 

Yeah, like he said, a joke.
post #12 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post


Yeah, like he said, a joke.

Yeah, its nothing but a renamed voice actions, which have been in Samsung phones BEFORE Siri. 

 

Obviously they stole it from Apple. 

 

Matter of fact, look at their whole ad campaign for the GS2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjWIGvjKecY

 

At the 1:06 mark, their ad showing off voice actions is CLEARLY a rip off of siri. Don't get caught up in the whole "How is that possible when this ad was made even before the launch of the iphone 4S"

 

Samsung CLEARLY took a time machine (which they copied from Apple, Patent # 4,556,765) and went back in time after seeing siri and put voice actions into their phone for the GS2. Its the ONLY logical explanation. 

 

Then they have the balls to release the SAME thing in the GS3 and call it S-Voice (which has 99.9% of the same functionality really) cause maybe they think it sounds cooler. Its sad. 

 

Darn Samsung, always copying. I bet they used the time machine to steal burst shot mode from the iphone 5 as well. 

 

Hell, they already did it with the NFC integration, an OBVIOUS nod to a feature first introduced in the iphone line. 

 

I mean, C'MON, siri could launch apps using voice WAY BEFORE voice actions could. WAY BEFORE.I remember when i got my iphone 4s and said "siri, launch angry birds", and it launched, i was amazed. Imagine that, launching apps using your voice. How did Apple think of that? Brilliant!! Then comes along Samsung to copy it. 

post #13 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepy3 View Post


And of course, when Apple debut their TV, it will have nothing in common with Samsung units such as

16:9 ratio
Rectangular shape
Square Edges
Uncluttered Front
Voice Intereaction
Gesture Interaction
TV Apps

Samsung owns things like the 16:9 ratio on TVs despite that is how most are shot? You've got to be fucking kidding me!
Edited by SolipsismX - 7/5/12 at 7:21am

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #14 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepy3 View Post

Yeah, its nothing but a renamed voice actions, which have been in Samsung phones BEFORE Siri.

Now you're claiming Apple didn't have voice actions before Siri? 😒

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #15 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


Samsung owns things like the 15:9 ratio on TVs despite that is how most are shot? You've got to fucking kidding me!

Apple owns things like rectangular phones despite every phone since the original motorolla was rectangular? You've got to fucking kidding me!

post #16 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


Now you're claiming Apple didn't have voice actions before Siri? 😒

Why bother, with these folks.....

post #17 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


Now you're claiming Apple didn't have voice actions before Siri? 😒

No no, that would be crazy. That would be like implying Samsung didn't have voice features since even before the 2002 SPH-i300 which had a touchscreen, virtual keys, rows of icons on the homescreen....but i digress. Its obvious Apple did everything Samsung has first. Voice, Multi-tasking, Notifications, NFC, LTE, Dual Core, Quad Core, 8MP cameras, Burst modes, Face unlocking, Projectors.

 

EVERYTHING Samsuung has in their phones was invented by Apple, and Samsung just stole it. STOLE IT I TELL YOU!!!

 

What a crappy company Samsung is. They would have never came up with the idea of video pop up windows on mobile phones had it not been for Apple showing them the way.

post #18 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepy3 View Post

EVERYTHING Samsuung has in their phones were invented by Apple,. and Samsung just stole it. STOLE IT I TELL YOU!!!

So you've given up on trying to form a reasonable argument that can be debated. Then why post here at all?

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #19 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


So you've given up on trying to form a reasonable argument that can be debated. Then why post here at all?

How is that not a reasonable argument?

 

What, you are saying that Samsung DOES have ideas of their own? I sure don't see them. 

 

You wish to point out any of these alleged original ideas by Samsung?

 

Thought so, you can't. 

post #20 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Apple 
[" url="/t/151097/apple-climbs-past-sony-to-become-no-2-brand-in-asia#post_2140589"]The above sentence is surely a joke.

They do make other products than smartphones and tablets. It should speak volumes that Apple chooses them to provide parts for their devices.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #21 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepy3 View Post

EVERYTHING Samsuung has in their phones was invented by Apple, and Samsung just stole it. STOLE IT I TELL YOU!!!

I wonder what will happen on the day we ban you. Can you give us a teaser of the other side?
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

It should speak volumes that Apple chooses them to provide parts for their devices.

The only volume it speaks is the quantity kind. If anyone else could provide the same number of chips and whatever else, Samsung would be out in the cold.

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply
post #22 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post


I wonder what will happen on the day we ban you. Can you give us a teaser of the other side?
 

Why would you do that?

 

I just said that Samsung is a copy cat, the same thing everyone here says? What's wrong with saying that? Everyone says it. 

post #23 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I wonder what will happen on the day we ban you. Can you give us a teaser of the other side?
The only volume it speaks is the quantity kind. If anyone else could provide the same number of chips and whatever else, Samsung would be out in the cold.

Just because I can give you 10 tons of shit it doesn't mean you'll take it, does it??
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #24 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Just because I can give you 10 tons of shit it doesn't mean you'll take it, does it??

Are you claiming we're near our limit here? Because we are pretty close. lol.gif

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply
post #25 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Are you claiming we're near our limit here? Because we are pretty close. lol.gif

Pardon, 10 tons of crap.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #26 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

What abou the huge amount of features they have added? They more than make up for the one waste of time feature they removed.

No, that's missing the point. If you advertise a feature and someone buys the product because of the advertised feature, then you remove the feature after the sale via firmware update, it can be construed as false advertising. New features don't eliminate that.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #27 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

No, that's missing the point. If you advertise a feature and someone buys the product because of the advertised feature, then you remove the feature after the sale via firmware update, it can be construed as false advertising. New features don't eliminate that.

They only took that "feature" away if you installed the corresponding firmware. If you wanted to keep it, then don't install the update. Of all of the PS3s sold, that "feature" was used very little. It was an expensive way of getting a linux box as well.

Did you also cry when the dropped PS2 support (via hardware changes), or SACD support (also via hardware changes)?

As I said, the addition of DTS-HDMA and 3D support (to name just two) are far more beneficial than losing the Other OS "feature"
post #28 of 38
Sony: now there's a sad company. I use to have a lot of respect for them but they've been going downhill year after year after year. It's a bummer, too, because they made a lot if of products in areas where it was nice to have a brand you could depend on.
The true measure of a man is how he treats someone that can do him absolutely no good.
  Samuel Johnson
Reply
The true measure of a man is how he treats someone that can do him absolutely no good.
  Samuel Johnson
Reply
post #29 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfanning View Post


What abou the huge amount of features they have added? They more than make up for the one waste of time feature they removed.

 

I'm sorry, but after customers paid over $700 (AUD) for earlier versions of the Playstation 3, only to have Playstation 1 and 2 game backwards-compatibility removed, the ability to use the console as a computer removed (which was initially advertised as a major feature), and the ability to play media removed (due to Cinavia DRM), I'm going to have to disagree with you.

 

However, I did like that feature where they allowed our un-encrypted credit card details to get uploaded onto the internet.

 

That was awesome!

 

There's a very good reason why you and a few friends could take a picnic hamper up onto the top of Sony's stock price on a lazy Sunday afternoon, have a nice lunch at the top, then comfortably hike down to the bottom...

 

Sony.jpg

"That’s brilliant. I can see this annoying some people, but what doesn’t these days?" - PMZ
Reply
"That’s brilliant. I can see this annoying some people, but what doesn’t these days?" - PMZ
Reply
post #30 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR View Post

I'm sorry, but after customers paid over $700 (AUD) for earlier versions of the Playstation 3, only to have Playstation 1 and 2 game backwards-compatibility removed, the ability to use the console as a computer removed (which was initially advertised as a major feature), and the ability to play media removed (due to Cinavia DRM), I'm going to have to disagree with you.

Hmm, you seem to be very mistaken.

I have two PS3's, a European launch model (mine was over 600 euro in 2007), and one of the later NZ fat PS3. Of the advertised features the only major (if you can call it major) thing taken away is the Other OS feature. The first one still plays PS1 and PS2 games, the other one still plays PS1 games

If your PS3 came with the ability to play PS2 games (early models), and PS1 games (all models) then you still have that feature.

Also, what media has the Cinavia DRM stopped you from playing? I haven't stuck any issues with media files
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR View Post

However, I did like that feature where they allowed our un-encrypted credit card details to get uploaded onto the internet.

When I got my first PS3 it was on firmware 1.82, since then it has had a number of major features added, and still is

That was awesome!

yes it was bad, still what does that have to do with a "feature" being removed?
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR View Post

There's a very good reason why you and a few friends could take a picnic hamper up onto the top of Sony's stock price on a lazy Sunday afternoon, have a nice lunch at the top, then comfortably hike down to the bottom...

Sorry, I don't have shares in Sony, I don't really care about their stock price.
post #31 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfanning View Post


Hmm, you seem to be very mistaken.
I have two PS3's, a European launch model (mine was over 600 euro in 2007), and one of the later NZ fat PS3. Of the advertised features the only major (if you can call it major) thing taken away is the Other OS feature. The first one still plays PS1 and PS2 games, the other one still plays PS1 games
If your PS3 came with the ability to play PS2 games (early models), and PS1 games (all models) then you still have that feature.
Also, what media has the Cinavia DRM stopped you from playing? I haven't stuck any issues with media files
yes it was bad, still what does that have to do with a "feature" being removed?
Sorry, I don't have shares in Sony, I don't really care about their stock price.

 

We'll just have to agree to disagree then.

"That’s brilliant. I can see this annoying some people, but what doesn’t these days?" - PMZ
Reply
"That’s brilliant. I can see this annoying some people, but what doesn’t these days?" - PMZ
Reply
post #32 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR View Post

We'll just have to agree to disagree then.

On which bit?

The bit where you were wrong about PS2/PS1 compatibility?

The bit where you refused to give an example where the DRM has caused you issues?

or the bit where I don't care about Sony's stock price?
post #33 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfanning View Post


On which bit?

The bit where you were wrong 

 

I don't see it that way.

 

I can see your trying to make your point on a technicality, but the fact remains that features that were initially available on the PS3 console have been removed (via hardware removal) or software updates and that kind of stuff pisses off consumers.

 

Who cares if it was hardware?

 

Who cares if it was software?

 

The console lost the ability to do stuff it previously could.

 

And we were forced to do those firmware updates, whenever we inserted the latest 'Game X' and it advised us we needed to do a firmware update in order to play the game.

 

Consumers remember that kind of stuff when purchase time come alongs in the future.

 

And how was I wrong by not providing an example of issues of DRM issues?

"That’s brilliant. I can see this annoying some people, but what doesn’t these days?" - PMZ
Reply
"That’s brilliant. I can see this annoying some people, but what doesn’t these days?" - PMZ
Reply
post #34 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR View Post

I don't see it that way.

You claimed they people lost their ability to play PS1 and PS2 games, if their console came with this function, then they still have this function. It has never been taken from models that come with it. You can't see this any other way
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR View Post

I can see your trying to make your point on a technicality, but the fact remains that features that were initially available on the PS3 console have been removed (via hardware removal) or software updates and that kind of stuff pisses off consumers.

Features? Again, you seem to be mistaken, it is not plural, it is singular . The "Other OS" feature is the only one to be removed. The PS1 and PS2 compatibility still exist on all models that came with them (every single PS3 made in the case of the PS1 games)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR View Post

Who cares if it was hardware?

Who cares if it was software?

No one, because these features have never been removed from the consoles that came with them. Now I am saying this a number of times in the hope that you will understand this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR View Post

The console lost the ability to do stuff it previously could.

The "Other OS", yes, and 20 more have been added, significantly better features, are you also upset that Sony added features?
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR View Post

And we were forced to do those firmware updates, whenever we inserted the latest 'Game X' and it advised us we needed to do a firmware update in order to play the game.

You were forced? Sony came to your house, and made you install this? Can I ask you a question, did you want a PC, or a games console? There are much better, cheaper linux machines around, why do you need this "Other OS" feature?

Since we are on an Apple site, were you also upset when Apple removed features from OS X?
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR View Post

Consumers remember that kind of stuff when purchase time come alongs in the future.

Again, no one cares about losing "Other OS".
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR View Post


And how was I wrong by not providing an example of issues of DRM issues?

you said this
Quote:
and the ability to play media removed (due to Cinavia DRM), I'm going to have to disagree with you.

What media can you no longer play due to the Blu-ray spec having the addition of this DRM added (not Sony). Also, are you also upset regarding the DRM that Apple forces upon you? If no, why not?
post #35 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

You claimed they people lost their ability to play PS1 and PS2 games, if their console came with this function, then they still have this function. It has never been taken from models that come with it. You can't see this any other way
But the feature was removed from later consoles versions. Big thank you to Sony for not supporting their own games and requiring customers to have TWO consoles.
The "Other OS" feature is the only one to be removed.
Thank you for agreeing with me.
...and 20 more have been added, significantly better features, are you also upset that Sony added features?
This is your opinion only (and, just for giggles, why don't you provide a list of these twenty awesome features. I mainly remember bloody large security and bug fixes).
You were forced? Sony came to your house, and made you install this?
Yes, I'd call not being able to play the latest games without having to install a firmware update forced.
Can I ask you a question, did you want a PC, or a games console? There are much better, cheaper linux machines around, why do you need this "Other OS" feature?
Personally, I didn't need it. However, many people were especially impressed by the fact that you could buy a games console and get a Linux box as well.
Since we are on an Apple site, were you also upset when Apple removed features from OS X?
An utterly irrelevant topic in this discussion.
Again, no one cares about losing "Other OS".
Once again, your opinion only, and I recall an awful lot of 'no ones' being extremely unhappy when this occurred.
What media can you no longer play due to the Blu-ray spec having the addition of this DRM added (not Sony). Also, are you also upset regarding the DRM that Apple forces upon you? If no, why not?
The media that you could play before the firmware update that removed this feature (you still haven't answered the question on how was I wrong by not providing an example)
"That’s brilliant. I can see this annoying some people, but what doesn’t these days?" - PMZ
Reply
"That’s brilliant. I can see this annoying some people, but what doesn’t these days?" - PMZ
Reply
post #36 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR View Post

But the feature was removed from later consoles versions. Big thank you to Sony for not supporting their own games and requiring customers to have TWO consoles.

Yes, that is what I have said, you have been saying it was removed from existing consoles.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR View Post

Thank you for agreeing with me.

Um, I wasn't, you said other features had been removed, but then hadn't

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR View Post

This is your opinion only (and, just for giggles, why don't you provide a list of these twenty awesome features. I mainly remember bloody large security and bug fixes).


24p support
1080p upscale for DVD
DLNA support
AVC High Profile Support
AVCHD Support
Dualshock Support
Remote play functionality greatly increased
Blu-Ray profile 1.1
DivX etc support
Blu-Ray profile 2
DTS-HD Master Audio support
Trophy Support
3D Support for games and movies
DTS-HDMA output with 3D movies

These are just a few of the new features added, they have all been added since I purchased my PS3, and they are all features I use. There have been numerous other features added, but if you were actually interested you could have looked these up yourself





Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR View Post

Yes, I'd call not being able to play the latest games without having to install a firmware update forced.

So what did you want, the games or Linux?
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR View Post

Personally, I didn't need it. However, many people were especially impressed by the fact that you could buy a games console and get a Linux box as well.

ok, so to answer the previous question, you weren't forced to install it, you wanted to install it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR View Post

An utterly irrelevant topic in this discussion.

No it isn't, you are complaining about one company removing features, when a number of companies (including Apple) do the same and yet that doesn't bother you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR View Post

Once again, your opinion only, and I recall an awful lot of 'no ones' being extremely unhappy when this occurred.

If you take the number of people that were unhappy about this as a percentage of the total PS3 owners, it is basically no one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR View Post

The media that you could play before the firmware update that removed this feature (you still haven't answered the question on how was I wrong by not providing an example)

This DRM only stops pirated media from being played. Can you please provide an example of the pirated media you can no longer play to show this DRM has caused you issues. Has this DRM caused you any issues?
post #37 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfanning View Post


Yes, that is what I have said, you have been saying it was removed from existing consoles.
Um, I wasn't, you said other features had been removed, but then hadn't
24p support
1080p upscale for DVD
DLNA support
AVC High Profile Support
AVCHD Support
Dualshock Support
Remote play functionality greatly increased
Blu-Ray profile 1.1
DivX etc support
Blu-Ray profile 2
DTS-HD Master Audio support
Trophy Support
3D Support for games and movies
DTS-HDMA output with 3D movies
These are just a few of the new features added, they have all been added since I purchased my PS3, and they are all features I use. There have been numerous other features added, but if you were actually interested you could have looked these up yourself
So what did you want, the games or Linux?
ok, so to answer the previous question, you weren't forced to install it, you wanted to install it.
No it isn't, you are complaining about one company removing features, when a number of companies (including Apple) do the same and yet that doesn't bother you.
If you take the number of people that were unhappy about this as a percentage of the total PS3 owners, it is basically no one.
This DRM only stops pirated media from being played. Can you please provide an example of the pirated media you can no longer play to show this DRM has caused you issues. Has this DRM caused you any issues?

 

How about I save us some time and cut to the chase?

 

What is the purpose of your arguments?

 

Do you wish me to change my mind and suddenly decide that the Sony PS3 is an actually an awesome console that never lost any features, instead only adding awesomely new ones?

"That’s brilliant. I can see this annoying some people, but what doesn’t these days?" - PMZ
Reply
"That’s brilliant. I can see this annoying some people, but what doesn’t these days?" - PMZ
Reply
post #38 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR View Post

How about I save us some time and cut to the chase?

What is the purpose of your arguments?

Do you wish me to change my mind and suddenly decide that the Sony PS3 is an actually an awesome console that never lost any features, instead only adding awesomely new ones?

It is very simple.

You said this
Quote:
I'm sorry, but after customers paid over $700 (AUD) for earlier versions of the Playstation 3, only to have Playstation 1 and 2 game backwards-compatibility removed

This is wrong, Sony has not removed these functions from Playstations that came with them, and they have never removed PS1 compatibility.

No I don't want you to change your mind, I want you to acknowledge that you said something wrong. I don't care what you think of the console in general, just stop claiming things that are blatantly wrong
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple climbs past Sony to become No. 2 brand in Asia