or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Rumor: Next-gen iPhone now in production, possible design change in tow
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Rumor: Next-gen iPhone now in production, possible design change in tow

post #1 of 129
Thread Starter 
Fresh reports from Chinese sources claim Apple's next-generation handset has entered the production phase complete with design changes including the addition of glass to the unit's "uni-body" backplate.

A trusted source notified Japanese language Mac blog MacOtakara on Saturday that Chinese manufacturers have started to ramp up production of Apple's new iPhone, which the site calls "iPhone 5," and adds the unit may bear some minor design changes from parts allegedly leaked in May.

While previous reports pointed to a "uni-body" chassis that featured a two-tone all-metal design, the purported production model will sport an inlayed glass piece between the backplate's top and bottom edges instead of leaving a bare aluminum surface. Unlike the iPhone 4 and 4S which boast a "glass sandwich" design with tough Gorilla Glass front and back coverings, the upcoming handset will reportedly have a backplate only "partially covered" by the tough material. The change could be in response to a rumored screen size bump to a 4-inch Retina display with 16:9 aspect ratio.

The source goes on to call the part seen in images and video circulating around the web a pre-production design built for prototype testing.


iPhone 5 Back Case
Source: MacOtakara


Notably absent from the latest chassis design is a small hole between the camera assembly and LED flash which some speculated to be a rear-facing microphone for video recording. The source notes, however, that the opening may still be present but is simply "invisible" to the naked eye.

Analysts pegged the September to October timeframe as a likely launch window for Apple's sixth-generation smartphone, in time for the lucrative holiday shopping season.
post #2 of 129

Could be anywhere between Aug and Xmas. Probably with an updated imac and spin off on ipad. Holding off on buying a new phone just because of this dammit. Need a new imac as well. Bring it on...

post #3 of 129
Quote:
Fresh reports from Chinese sources claim production of Apple's next-generation handset is underway ahead of a possible fall launch date, with allegedly finalized design appearing employ glass on the rear of the unit.

 

Please, please, please, have an editor read your copy before you post it. I can't even figure out what you're actually saying. Does the final design employ glass on the rear of the unit? or does it just look like glass?
 

post #4 of 129

The leaked parts we’ve seen for months were never "two-tone" metal, and never had an all-metal back. They ALWAYS had overlaid glass on the back (two pieces).

 

This rumor contains no design change after all.

post #5 of 129

A rear microphone for self recording thats awesome, does any other phone have that? ...

post #6 of 129

It'd be awesome to see more colors than black/white/silver. I'd be all over a dark red one.

Retina Macbook Pro - 2.6ghz

Galaxy Nexus - Jelly Bean!

Reply

Retina Macbook Pro - 2.6ghz

Galaxy Nexus - Jelly Bean!

Reply
post #7 of 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaroonMushroom View Post

It'd be awesome to see more colors than black/white/silver. I'd be all over a dark red one.

So you can say they are copying someone else who has a red phone?¡

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #8 of 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


So you can say they are copying someone else who has a red phone?¡

...what?

Retina Macbook Pro - 2.6ghz

Galaxy Nexus - Jelly Bean!

Reply

Retina Macbook Pro - 2.6ghz

Galaxy Nexus - Jelly Bean!

Reply
post #9 of 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

So you can say they are copying someone else who has a red phone?¡

What? Bruce Wayne will sue for copying the Batphone?

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply
post #10 of 129
I'm wondering if I really want a larger iPhone. Perhaps a smaller iPhone, like really small and then have an iPad mini to do browsing and maps. With Siri you could conceivably have an iPhone like 50 mm square, even wrist style, that would do voice search everything and even FaceTime. Everything else would be better on an iPad mini anyway.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #11 of 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by xavier83 View Post

A rear microphone for self recording
A rear microphone would not be for recording yourself unless you turn your phone around so you cannot see the screen when you record yourself.
post #12 of 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

What? Bruce Wayne will sue for copying the Batphone?

Or this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moscow–Washington_hotline
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #13 of 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post


A rear microphone would not be for recording yourself unless you turn your phone around so you cannot see the screen when you record yourself.

And yet, that's how the current iPod touch is configured. The microphone is adjacent to the rear-facing camera. If you use the iPod touch as a VoIP phone (e.g., using Talkatone and Google Voice), you should turn it upside down and backwards.

 

The iPhone 4S has a second microphone on the top of the handset for ambient noise analysis. It really doesn't need to be there. It could easily move to the rear-facing camera.

post #14 of 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

The leaked parts we’ve seen for months were never "two-tone" metal, and never had an all-metal back. They ALWAYS had overlaid glass on the back (two pieces).

This rumor contains no design change after all.

I don't think the construction was readily apparent either way. It looked like it might have been a different material, but if so, the edges and seemingly nonexistent or incredibly tight seams hid that fact very well. It looked at least as plausible to be a different texture of metal.
Edited by JeffDM - 7/14/12 at 8:23pm
post #15 of 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaroonMushroom View Post

It'd be awesome to see more colors than black/white/silver. I'd be all over a dark red one.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


So you can say they are copying someone else who has a red phone?¡

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaroonMushroom View Post

...what?

 

He's calling you an Android troll on an Apple centric forum. Or don't you get that? Try reading your own post history. Duh.

post #16 of 129

Hopeful Apple realizes that hardware is as important as the operating software.

post #17 of 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSHMAN4 View Post

Hopeful Apple realizes that hardware is as important as the operating software.

Apple is a software company, said Steve.

But "people that love software want to do their own hardware. "

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #18 of 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I don't think the construction was readily apparent either way. It looked like it might have been a different material, but if so, the edges and seemingly nonexistent or incredibly tight seams hid that fact very well. It looked at least as plausible to be a different texture of metal.

Liquidmetal maybe ..... / music from outer limits
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Reply
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Reply
post #19 of 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

 

 

 

He's calling you an Android troll on an Apple centric forum. Or don't you get that? Try reading your own post history. Duh.

Oh gosh... I'm so sorry I'm and Android user guys.

 

I guess I'll throw my macbook away in shame.

Retina Macbook Pro - 2.6ghz

Galaxy Nexus - Jelly Bean!

Reply

Retina Macbook Pro - 2.6ghz

Galaxy Nexus - Jelly Bean!

Reply
post #20 of 129
Using partial glass on the rear of the phone makes sense if they plan to utilize NFC. If it was an all metal back, NFC is not possible.
post #21 of 129

How much time does Apple need to make twenty-million iPhones to have on hand at a launch? How many iPhones can fit into a 747 cargo plane? I would like Apple Insider to research this and give us the answers. That would be an interesting article.

post #22 of 129
No, it would not.

 

Apple states iPhone sales in their quarterly financial results conference calls. From those calls, one should be able to determine a reasonable monthly production capacity, especially in the months in which the device is back ordered. 30 million iPhones per quarter is not atypical, but that's for a device that has most/all of its production kinks worked out. The initial production ramp months have less yield, so one would presume more time to make X amount of units versus full production six months down the line when the manufacturing partner has nailed it.

 

Apple does not need an entire quarter's worth of iPhones for launch. They probably need a month's worth to launch. Enough to supply channel inventory, as well as daily replenishments at their own stores. The biggest issue is having enough stock for existing markets during the time the manufacturing line pumps out new devices for upcoming markets. Apple's manufacturing partners have a finite capacity, it's not like they can spit out two French Canadian 64GB iPhones, followed by one 16GB American iPhone, followed by two 32GB UK iPhones in succession. They have production runs for certain SKUs and certain destination kits.

 

The cargo capacity of a single 747 cargo jet is uninteresting. The devices are being flown out every single day, but probably not on jets that are exclusively chartered to Apple Inc. The same aircraft are probably carrying Dell notebooks, Samsung smartphones, whatever alongside the pallets of iPhones.

 

AppleInsider could easily look up the dimensions of a 747 Cargo jet, but that really gives us no insight into Apple's manufacturing capacity or distribution strategy. After all, the devices could easily go out on other aircraft.

post #23 of 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I'm wondering if I really want a larger iPhone. Perhaps a smaller iPhone, like really small and then have an iPad mini to do browsing and maps. With Siri you could conceivably have an iPhone like 50 mm square, even wrist style, that would do voice search everything and even FaceTime. Everything else would be better on an iPad mini anyway.

 

I'd really like a larger iPhone. When I see people using Galaxy S 3s and HTC OneXs then I look at my iPhone's puny little screen I'm rather jealous.

 

4.8" seems to be the standard now, and sadly Apple look to still be dragging their heels and refusing to keep up.

 

It's curious that as Apple are apparently soon to offer people a choice in tablet size, they won't do the same in phone size. Why not make two versions of the iPhone 5 - one with the same tiny screen as previous iPhones, and one with a modern screen size? That way everyone is happy.

post #24 of 129

Apple is not leading the technological trend these days. Samsung and others are leading the trend by making 4.5 inch and 4.8 inch phones, which have large market demand. Apple is allowing its competitor to get away with rising sales.
 

post #25 of 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

 

I'd really like a larger iPhone. ...I look at my iPhone's puny little screen I'm rather jealous.

 

4.8" seems to be the standard now, sadly Apple look to still be dragging their heels and refusing to keep up.

 

...Apple are apparently soon to offer people a choice in tablet size, they won't do the same in phone size. Why not make two versions of the iPhone 5 - one with the same tiny screen as previous iPhones, and one with a modern screen size?

That way everyone is happy.

 

With your persistent grumbling about all things Apple, I highly doubt that YOU will be happy, whatever Apple does.

post #26 of 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiA View Post

 

With your persistent grumbling about all things Apple, I highly doubt that YOU will be happy, whatever Apple does.

They've made a lot of mis-steps lately it's true, and it's right to vent about them because I know they can be better.  They've squandered their lead in smart phones by failing to innovate, and in some ways iOS 6 is a big step backwards - the lack of the superb Google Maps with street view and very in depth local information is a massive, completely insane mis-step.  Maps is surely one of the top three most used features in a smart phone, and Apple have willingly crippled the iPhone 5, and anyone foolish enough to 'upgrade' with a vastly inferior mapping product. 

 

The lack of a modern screen size for the iPhone is also a major issue. I use public transport a fair bit and can see trends in phones change over time - the British public have gone from dumb phones, to iPhones, to Blackberrys (bizarre I know, but true in my experience) to large screen Android phones. iPhones are still a common sight, but far less than they used to be.  It's impossible to know what the causes for this are, and there are most likely several, but given the way the likes of the Galaxy phones sell it's hard to imagine that screen size isn't a major draw.

 

Then there's the skeumorphic design, which is beyond hideous. Whoever is green lighting these ghastly designs needs to be given a new job at Apple, perhaps making the tea or cleaning the loos.

 

I've owned and used Apple products for many, many years, but they're being eaten alive by Google right now and that doesn't need to be the case.

post #27 of 129

I have great admiration for the workers who assemble the iPhones.

Yesterday I had to take apart a 3GS to repair it.

It had over 30 tiny screws inside and lots of fiddly, delicate cables.

It took me almost two hours to take apart, replace the faulty part and reassemble.

I had the iFixit guide but it was the first time I had taken an iPhone apart.

 

Thinking back, it probably took me about 30 minutes to reassemble the iPhone at home.

I wonder what the average assembly time will be at the factories?

It may be quicker as they'd be starting from scratch with the necessary tools at hand but 30 screws!

 

From my experience I also appreciate how much design can affect the product's manufacture.

I can see how the iPhone 4 and 4S are easier to assemble than the 3GS.

Easier assembly should make for faster production, shipping and sales.

 

Fingers crossed the new iPhone will be easier still.

post #28 of 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post
I've owned and used Apple products for many, many years, but they're being eaten alive by Google right now and that doesn't need to be the case.

 

Android does have a bigger market share, but apple makes more money & seems to have a better business model, its one of those things, it will sort its self out, people will buy what they want.

 

The new iPhone that's hopefully coming out in the next few months, will either look the same as the old one...or it will look different, these random rumor articles are pointless. 

post #29 of 129
I fly some of those cargo 747's that take iPhones to the US. They carry about 80-120 tonnes depending on the fuel and the model. They do carry not just Apple stuff except for some that are virtually exclusive Apple loads from xxxx and Hong Kong. The first shipments start in August...
post #30 of 129
Someone seriously wants a 4.8 inch screen phone? A phone? Derick Zoolander must be turning over in his grave. (aside: is he dead yet?)

I have come to the conclusion people who want a screen that size never use the phone as a phone, because it looks friggin' stupid holding something that size against your head.
It's the heat death of the universe, my friends.
Reply
It's the heat death of the universe, my friends.
Reply
post #31 of 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lerxt View Post

I fly some of those cargo 747's that take iPhones to the US. They carry about 80-120 tonnes depending on the fuel and the model. They do carry not just Apple stuff except for some that are virtually exclusive Apple loads from xxxx and Hong Kong. The first shipments start in August...

Right. And they happen to tell you over a month in advance what the cargo is going to be on some future shipments. And they let their pilots publicly announce what's on the planes. Riiiiiigghhttt.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

They've made a lot of mis-steps lately it's true, and it's right to vent about them because I know they can be better.  They've squandered their lead in smart phones by failing to innovate, and in some ways iOS 6 is a big step backwards - the lack of the superb Google Maps with street view and very in depth local information is a massive, completely insane mis-step.  Maps is surely one of the top three most used features in a smart phone, and Apple have willingly crippled the iPhone 5, and anyone foolish enough to 'upgrade' with a vastly inferior mapping product. 

The lack of a modern screen size for the iPhone is also a major issue. I use public transport a fair bit and can see trends in phones change over time - the British public have gone from dumb phones, to iPhones, to Blackberrys (bizarre I know, but true in my experience) to large screen Android phones. iPhones are still a common sight, but far less than they used to be.  It's impossible to know what the causes for this are, and there are most likely several, but given the way the likes of the Galaxy phones sell it's hard to imagine that screen size isn't a major draw.

Then there's the skeumorphic design, which is beyond hideous. Whoever is green lighting these ghastly designs needs to be given a new job at Apple, perhaps making the tea or cleaning the loos.

I've owned and used Apple products for many, many years, but they're being eaten alive by Google right now and that doesn't need to be the case.

Eaten alive? I'm sure Apple shareholders would agree. /s

Apple has the lion's share of profits in the industry. Sure, the competitors are able to give phones away and sell cheap junky phones at low prices. They're even able to get a portion of the high end phones. But your characterization is grossly misleading.

Look at the Galaxy SIII. Fastest selling Android phone ever AFAIK. They sold 6 M phones in the first quarter (including several months of pre-orders and over a month of shipping product). Apple sold 4 M iPhone 4S phones in the first weekend.

Apple is not interested in being the only cell phone provider - they are too focused on being the best.

As for your opinions on design? Who cares what you think? It would be pretty hard to argue that your expertise (whatever it might be) is better than Apple's experience.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #32 of 129

Just buy an Android phone. Problem solved. Then begone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

 

I'd really like a larger iPhone. When I see people using Galaxy S 3s and HTC OneXs then I look at my iPhone's puny little screen I'm rather jealous.

 

4.8" seems to be the standard now, and sadly Apple look to still be dragging their heels and refusing to keep up.

 

It's curious that as Apple are apparently soon to offer people a choice in tablet size, they won't do the same in phone size. Why not make two versions of the iPhone 5 - one with the same tiny screen as previous iPhones, and one with a modern screen size? That way everyone is happy.

Originally Posted by Granmastak: Labor unions managed to kill manufacturing a long time ago with their unreasonable demands. Now the people they were trying to protect, are out of a job.
Reply
Originally Posted by Granmastak: Labor unions managed to kill manufacturing a long time ago with their unreasonable demands. Now the people they were trying to protect, are out of a job.
Reply
post #33 of 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Entropys View Post

Someone seriously wants a 4.8 inch screen phone?

Nope. Dell knows this, after the failed Streak from June 2010. Came with donut, not the edible type, but the Android 1.6 version.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Or this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moscow–Washington_hotline

LOL. From that picture it looks like Apple wasn't the first with a one-button phone¡

293
"Fibonacci: As easy as 1, 1, 2, 3..."
Reply
"Fibonacci: As easy as 1, 1, 2, 3..."
Reply
post #34 of 129
Quote:
. Quote:
Originally Posted by Lerxt 

I fly some of those cargo 747's that take iPhones to the US. They carry about 80-120 tonnes depending on the fuel and the model. They do carry not just Apple stuff except for some that are virtually exclusive Apple loads from xxxx and Hong Kong. The first shipments start in August...

Right. And they happen to tell you over a month in advance what the cargo is going to be on some future shipments. And they let their pilots publicly announce what's on the planes. Riiiiiigghhttt.

Wait and see......
post #35 of 129
I'm not a fan of the two-tone design on the rear. Given that the antenna is external I'm hoping for an all-metal back. And an all metal back can't smash either. If the upper and lower parts are glass I promise you they will get broken/smashed for many, many people during the product's lifetime; which makes the decision to do that a bad design for the customer.

I was hoping for slightly more radical design changes on iPhone 5 (the new iPhone), but will reserve final judgement for when the product ships (but, it is looking like it will be two-tone; which I personally find to be, shall we say: ugly). I'll probably still end up buying it for the camera improvements, though (I'm on a 4); to feed my Instagram addiction.
Edited by Ireland - 7/15/12 at 5:37am
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #36 of 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie 
LOL. From that picture it looks like Apple wasn't the first with a one-button phone¡

293

Hehe.

You should change your signature to 'Surface won't Surface'
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #37 of 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

I use public transport a fair bit and can see trends in phones change over time - the British public have gone from dumb phones, to iPhones, to Blackberrys (bizarre I know, but true in my experience) to large screen Android phones. iPhones are still a common sight, but far less than they used to be.

I also use public transport in the UK daily, and I don't see the tends you do. The overwhelming trend is the explosion of smartphone ownership. From two years ago to now, almost all the dumb phones have been replaced with smartphones. A candy bar Nokia is a rare sight. In the pub, the people with dumb phones get teased now, not smartphone owners. I see a few big screen Android phones around, but there are many, many more iPhones.

And, I don't recognise the dumb phone to iPhone to Blackberry to Andriod trend you mention. Some kids and some suits are sticking to Blackberry, while everyone else is using an iPhone or an Android phone (I've only ever seen one Lumia in the wild). Of the Andriod phones, only a few I see are the big screen type. They're beautiful, but awkward to use for most (they need two hands for basic stuff), and so won't ever form the majority.
post #38 of 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

They've made a lot of mis-steps lately it's true, and it's right to vent about them because I know they can be better.  They've squandered their lead in smart phones by failing to innovate.

 

 

I've owned and used Apple products for many, many years, but they're being eaten alive by Google right now and that doesn't need to be the case.

 

And yet you still miss the point of the Apple products.  Apple has never been in some secret competition to be the #1 leader in sales, activation or marketshare.  The reason why their products are successful is because they dont follow the market trend train.  Apple's #1 goal is the best user experience.  Look at pretty much every product they sell.  The iPod looked the same for years.  The Macbook looked the same for years.  The iPhone, iPad, AppleTV, Extreme Router, iMac, you-get-the-point, has looked the same for years.  

 

Some fake azz attempt at inovation of having a 1000 different versions of your phone.. and giving them away at 99cent buy one, get one free prices.  To gain marketshare.. isnt what Apple is about.  Apple is a computer/consumer electronics company.  They have been that way since they started in the late 1970's.  They dont release "me-too" products.  They dont release products on an absolute schedule.  They dont rush products to market attempting to answer a competitor.  And they dont care about selling cheap crap.  What they do is research & design something that will better the user experience, they spend years refining it.. until its truly ready for public use.  They are one of the very few companies that ALWAYS develops their own hardware & software.  When they release a product, there is usually one version of it.. and that version is done right.  Its well designed, well made (with the most premium materials available), extremely user friendly & it will not be cheap.
 

"If you have owned & used Apple products for many, many years".  Then you should know this already.

 

Google's strategy is completely different than Apple.  Google is an advertising company first & foremost.  Why do so many people quickly forget this?  For Google's strategy to work, they have to practically give everything in their product portfolio for free.  Google Search, Gmail, Google Voice, Google Maps, Google +, Google Docs, Google Translate, Google Wallet, Google Cloud, Google Music, Youtube and even Android are all free for users to use.  The more people they bait into using their products, the more information they get to collect from those users.  The more users & information Google collects.. the more advertisers are willing to pay Google to reach those users.

 

Understand the difference first.  Then choose the product & company that fits you best. 


Edited by Daekwan - 7/15/12 at 6:42am
post #39 of 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post


Apple is a software company, said Steve.
But "people that love software want to do their own hardware. "

 

 

His quote is taken out of context and doesn't match up with history. Apple has always been a hardware company. Wozniak's claim to fame was hardware. The only reason Apple creates most of its software is to make the hardware more valuable. That is why Apple gets pissed off when people steal the hardware designs  and wants an injunction when a company like Microsoft would only want a license. Apple used to frequently change the design of its hardware around when its customer base was smaller to get people to buy new hardware. For the longest time there wasn't anything comparable to iMovie and iPhoto on any other platform.

 

If you go into any phone store and compare Apple's hardware with the rest, it is clear Apple's hardware is leaps above. I especially don't understand why Samsung does so well. It's hardware is made out of the cheapest materials and feels that way. 

post #40 of 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daekwan View Post

 

And yet you still miss the point of the Apple products.  Apple has never been in some secret competition to be the #1 leader in sales, activation or marketshare.  The reason why their products are successful is because they dont follow the market trend train.  Apple's #1 goal is the best user experience.  Look at pretty much every product they sell.  The iPod looked the same for years.  The Macbook looked the same for years.  The iPhone, iPad, AppleTV, Extreme Router, iMac, you-get-the-point, has looked the same for years.  

 

Some fake azz attempt at inovation of having a 1000 different versions of your phone.. and giving them away at 99cent buy one, get one free prices.  To gain marketshare.. isnt what Apple is about.  Apple is a computer/consumer electronics company.  They have been that way since they started in the late 1970's.  They dont release "me-too" products.  They dont release products on an absolute schedule.  They dont rush products to market attempting to answer a competitor.  And they dont care about selling cheap crap.  What they do is research & design something that will better the user experience, they spend years refining it.. until its truly ready for public use.  They are one of the very few companies that ALWAYS develops their own hardware & software.  When they release a product, there is usually one version of it.. and that version is done right.  Its well designed, well made (with the most premium materials available), extremely user friendly & it will not be cheap.
 

"If you have owned & used Apple products for many, many years".  Then you should know this already.

 

Google's strategy is completely different than Apple.  Google is an advertising company first & foremost.  Why do so many people quickly forget this?  For Google's strategy to work, they have to practically give everything in their product portfolio for free.  Google Search, Gmail, Google Voice, Google Maps, Google +, Google Docs, Google Translate, Google Wallet, Google Cloud, Google Music, Youtube and even Android are all free for users to use.  The more people they bait into using their products, the more information they get to collect from those users.  The more users & information Google collects.. the more advertisers are willing to pay Google to reach those users.

 

Understand the difference first.  Then choose the product & company that fits you best. 

 

 

When the first iPhone came out the people thought it would be a success if Apple took one percent of the market. That was Apple's goal. You make some other good points. With Apple you are the customer, and with Google you are the product. As such the companies attitudes are much different. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Rumor: Next-gen iPhone now in production, possible design change in tow