or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Apple launches OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion on Mac App Store for $19.99

Apple launches OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion on Mac App Store for $19.99 - Page 3

post #81 of 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkVader View Post

You are unbelievably lucky, considering that several releases since then were known to cause data loss.

The only way that a release of any kind causes data loss is if you aren't doing proper backups before you do the upgrade. Sure the upgrade might corrupt and some of your onboard data gets jumbled up, but your backup exists to handle that by restoring your data -- thus no 'loss'. 

And if you aren't doing backups that isn't Apple's fault. 

As your attempt at being cute with that PowerPC comment, get over it. That is old architecture that is no longer supported. The issue isn't the OS, it's the companies that are too lazy to update their software. They have had warnings for years and mega warnings since the first Lion developer preview over a year ago. That they aren't going to bother with continuing to update their software isn't Apple's fault. So go gripe at the proper folks. 

And if your customers are that bothered by those arrows being gone they can either start using Windows, stick with 10.6.8 and not have iCloud etc or simply get over it. 

post #82 of 181

How long did you have to wait for an upgrade code? I sent in my info about an hour ago and still no email!

post #83 of 181

I too have installed every new OS on launch day and never experienced an issue.  The vast majority of users don't and those bugs that have been reported, while unfortunate for those effected have been experienced only by the minority. 

Download through official channels, backup, install as instructed, let the installer do the work.  Don't tinker, don't repair permissions, or move things around or try and be clever, just let the installer do it's work.

Very happily installed here in the UK, CS6, Microsoft Office, Font Explorer Pro, Transmit, Transmission and Navicat light all running fine.  

In all machine feels more responsive and no issues.  There were none before, none now.  Notification centre is nice and another layer of security from gatekeeper is also good.  All in all for stability, performance and security, £13 is zero issue.

post #84 of 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by Takeo View Post

To be fair... you can make the scroll bars always show... true... but the arrows have been gone since Lion I think.

Why would* you need the arrows anyway? Pretty much every mouse since 1999 has had a scroll wheel. Clicking and dragging the scroll wheel is always an option and, of course, the cursor keys on the keyboard are always there and do the same thing.

*EDIT

Edited by benanderson89 - 7/25/12 at 7:58am

... at night.

... at night.

post #85 of 181

Won't install on my Macintosh SE. 

Sigh.

post #86 of 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by NapyBlue View Post

How long did you have to wait for an upgrade code? I sent in my info about an hour ago and still no email!

I called apple care on this and they said it is actually good we haven't gotten an email of the code.  She said the majority of the immediate codes haven't been working and it is a longer issue to resolve.  She said it should be in our inbox in the next 72 hours (which is what it says).

I'm impatient- but I'm not a 12 year old on Christmas eve- I guess I can wait.  ;-)

So just downloading all my iWork, iPhoto, iMovie, Remote Desktop, and Safari updates instead.... 

Edited by Andysol - 7/25/12 at 8:01am

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

post #87 of 181

I have also noticed my previous non-sandboxed apps ( Moom, FreeMemory, Fantastical, HyperDock ) are working.

There is also a recent update to Remote Desktop just now.

15' MPB Retina 768 SSD,8 core Mac Pro-64g-dual 30's13' MBA/2011 Mini, 2012 iMac SSD 4core i7,iPhone 4S/iPad 2 64 LTE/AppleTV 2

15' MPB Retina 768 SSD,8 core Mac Pro-64g-dual 30's13' MBA/2011 Mini, 2012 iMac SSD 4core i7,iPhone 4S/iPad 2 64 LTE/AppleTV 2

post #88 of 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by nkhm View Post

don't repair permissions

Definitely repair permissions before you download the update.

post #89 of 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ochyming View Post

Downloading, downloading …

Another Cat, another cat.

This one doesn't look that impressive. I think I'll wait until next year for Liger or maybe even the year after that for Sabretooth. 

The one I really want though is 10.11. That one is going to be the bomb. My sources are already getting me info about it. Apple is really scared about this Microsoft Surface thing and are hard at work on a truly fused OSX and iOS and 2015 is going to be the year they debut THE future of Apple, a single OS to run them all with new hardware that's all touch based. They are already at work on buying out ModBook cause they want the tech to release themselves. It is going to be amazing.

Everyone is going to want to pay attention in 2015 when Apple releases the truly magical OS 10.11 Nyan Cat. 

post #90 of 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleZilla View Post

Sigh.

Did you load himem.sys?
post #91 of 181

Thanks for the info. A 72 hour wait?!?! They should have just charged us $20 less for our new MBP/MBA and skipped the complexity of the free upgrade process.

post #92 of 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

But they did do that.

But only for those that had Mobile Me accounts. Everyone else had to pay and they weren't told that come a year later they would be able to jump over Lion so they 'wasted' $40 getting that installer when they could have just paid $20 for Snow Leopard and waited. 

post #93 of 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by elmsley View Post

Not at my Apple store.  Sometimes I think they should reconsider that "Genius" title.

Post the release of any OS you can't get the previous one at the stores. And the free Snow Leopard for Mobile Me members was online only cause you had to log into your mobile me account. Which was very clearly spelled out in the emails they sent out, on the site etc

Sounds like the 'not a Genius' in this case was you. Not the store. 

post #94 of 181
Quote:

Thanks for the info. A 72 hour wait?!?! They should have just charged us $20 less for our new MBP/MBA and skipped the complexity of the free upgrade process.

Ya- it sucks.  I even asked them if I could just buy it in the App Store and be credited the amount (that would seem easier on me at least)- but she said they can't do that until the 72 hour point.  I understand- they want to track how many are sold and how many are free.  Oh well.  At least our downloads will be faster.  ;-)

post #95 of 181
Quote:

can anyone else anwer this? I filled mine out 2 hours ago - nothing

post #96 of 181
Quote:

Or they could have just said screw you and made you pay full price for the computer AND bought the upgrade. They didn't have to give it to you for free, especially going back all the way to June 11th. Sure some folks wouldn't have bought computers but hey then they could have had fewer out of stock on the new stuff and you'd have bought it this quarter and it all balances out. 

It's only taking that long because they want to validate that they are sending you a unique code that hasn't been given to anyone else and can't be so that you don't run into issues again. An issue, by the by, that many wouldn't be dealing with if they hadn't been greedy and had to apply for a code before the official launch and thus before the check system was in place

post #97 of 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodai View Post

It's snappy!!!

LOL

/s

It better be!!! That's the main reason I'm downloading it, anything has got to be an improvement over Lion Slug.

post #98 of 181

well downloaded it and installed it. Download took about 30 minutes and install about 15 minutes on my Mini's SSD.

So far so good, it does seem smoother and faster, but still early days and still playing around with it! 

Now will install it on the MacBook Air.

post #99 of 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

An issue, by the by, that many wouldn't be dealing with if they hadn't been greedy and had to apply for a code before the official launch and thus before the check system was in place

Of course... it's the consumer's fault.... stupid me!  I apologize to Apple for possibly considering all the invalid codes could have been their fault (including those that were issued after it went live today).

Or maybe they should have made the up-to-date live a couple days before launch so they could review, give valid codes, and then we use those codes when Mountain Lion goes live?

post #100 of 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleZilla View Post

Sigh.

hih nice one!

Did you get a bomb in the dialog box?
post #101 of 181
Ah finally the download is completed and there is only 20 more minutes to finish the install!
post #102 of 181
Quote:

In the Mac App Store, where you've always been able to.

Or here:

Um, OK, maybe I'm stupid, but I don't find any download info in App store or in LaunchPad other than a progress bar.

NW '98
"Everything works, in theory..."
NW '98
post #103 of 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by GadgetCanada View Post

It's Christmas in the walled garden!! With all the Apple stories today, all the Grinch's won't know where to start trolling.

Don't shout it out to loud!
Usually the trolls come creeping in between dusk and dawn.
post #104 of 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitewing98 View Post
Um, OK, maybe I'm stupid, but I don't find any download info in App store or in LaunchPad other than a progress bar.

Ah, okay, I guess they added that in Mountain Lion.

Interestingly enough, that doesn't work for system updates, which are through the Mac App Store as of Mountain Lion. Their progress doesn't show up there, and while you can quit the Mac App Store for application updates, system updates force you to keep the Mac App Store open.

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
post #105 of 181

i'm still on snow leopard.  i'll be upgrading several machines to ML.  is the download/install process the same as it was for lion, insofar as you can download once, save the installer, and then copy it to the other machines to be upgraded?   (as opposed to downloading it on every machine)

post #106 of 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by sr2012 View Post

Did you load himem.sys?

That's DOS you fool! He's on one of those Mac computers I saw on TV.

... at night.

... at night.

post #107 of 181

I agree.

I bought a new macbook air on 6/29.

they should not make new purchasers wait like second class citizens just because they are getting a free upgrade.  Not to mention hoops you have to jump thru like several forms and uploading receipts as "proof of purchase".  just for $20 courtesy download. 

They are a huge technology company - they can't check their own copies of invoices?

But some people here just blame the consumers......lord knows apple cannot ever make a mistake.

post #108 of 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katonah View Post

But some people here just blame the consumers......lord knows apple cannot ever make a mistake.

And lord knows people cannot fail to bitch about the silliest things.

post #109 of 181
Quote:

Ah, okay, I guess they added that in Mountain Lion.

Interestingly enough, that doesn't work for system updates, which are through the Mac App Store as of Mountain Lion. Their progress doesn't show up there, and while you can quit the Mac App Store for application updates, system updates force you to keep the Mac App Store open.

To be honest, it took me a while to figure out to view the progress in the Mac App Store, because it was never an issue before.  I'd buy something, and it would just download fairly quickly, and so on.  It never occurred to me to check Purchases, before.

post #110 of 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by enjourni View Post

I find it really annoying.  Sorry if you think it's silly.

post #111 of 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by enjourni View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katonah View Post

I find it really annoying.  Sorry if you think it's silly.

It is annoying. It's pretty trivial and I don't mind waiting- but the clowns saying its the consumers fault are ridiculous.

post #112 of 181

Well all this waiting is bull****.

I'll stick with OS X 10.0 Developer Preview 1, thanks. 

post #113 of 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitewing98 View Post

Just click on the  'Purchases' icon at the top of the App Store.

Mine is currently showing 1.52 GB of 4.34 Gb - 2 hours 4 minutes

post #114 of 181

Well it looks like my MacPro is too old so I'll have to wait for Apple to upgrade my hardware before we upgrade the software.

When will Apple get around to upgrading my Mac?

flick.

post #115 of 181

updated on 2011 MacMini, download took 20 minutes, install took 30 minutes, so far everything works.

first thing I tested was VMware fusion as this is one of my main apps I use for work, My Windows 7 and Linux VM's work fine, even a little faster.

Windows 7 works faster in a VM on a Mac mini then it does on a dedicated HP laptop. 

Mac Book Pro (late 2008), Power Mac G5(upgraded to Intel Hackintosh), new iPad 64GB 4G LTE, iPad Mini, iPhone 5.
Mac Book Pro (late 2008), Power Mac G5(upgraded to Intel Hackintosh), new iPad 64GB 4G LTE, iPad Mini, iPhone 5.
post #116 of 181

What is compelling about ML?

post #117 of 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdonisSMU View Post

What is compelling about ML?

It's not Windows 8.

post #118 of 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkVader View Post

You are unbelievably lucky, considering that several releases since then were known to cause data loss.

10.8 does seem to be ok, other than failing to fix two critical bugs from 10.7 - PowerPC apps are still broken, and the arrows at the end of the scroll bars are still missing.  Those are real showstoppers as far as many of my customers are concerned, since they're more concerned with actually being able to work than with the new eye candy.
Those aren't bugs. They're permanent changes to the system. No more PPC apps and no more arrows. You need to tell your clients to either stay with Snow Leopard on old hardware or get with the program on new hardware.

Six x 3.5GHz '14 MP, 64GB, 1TB PCIe, 16TB HDs
2.6GHz 6GB 17"HD LED MBP, Sony 52XBR6 HDTV
EyeTV 500, Hybrid 2G, EyeTV 3 HDTV Recorder
64 ATT iPhone 5S, 128 ATT iPad Air, 128 ATT iPad miniRetina, 16...

Six x 3.5GHz '14 MP, 64GB, 1TB PCIe, 16TB HDs
2.6GHz 6GB 17"HD LED MBP, Sony 52XBR6 HDTV
EyeTV 500, Hybrid 2G, EyeTV 3 HDTV Recorder
64 ATT iPhone 5S, 128 ATT iPad Air, 128 ATT iPad miniRetina, 16...

post #119 of 181

Installed in about 40 min with no obvious issues.  However it did seem to decide that it didn't like the backups on my time capsule and deleted not only the backup for the machine i upgraded, but for the other two machines in my house.  I find this kind of annoying.  I would be truly upset if I hadn't intended to do the same thing to them after I had upgraded them all.  However now I also have to re-backup the other two machines before the upgrade since their backups are gone as well.

It is snappy however.

post #120 of 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephenbw View Post

Just click on the  'Purchases' icon at the top of the App Store.

Mine is currently showing 1.52 GB of 4.34 Gb - 2 hours 4 minutes

Thanks! I never would have looked there, figuring I haven't completed the purchase yet, so it wouldn't be there. I R from IT, DUHHHH! ;)

NW '98
NW '98
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac OS X
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Apple launches OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion on Mac App Store for $19.99