or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › AT&T defends plan to block 3G FaceTime for non-Mobile Share customers
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

AT&T defends plan to block 3G FaceTime for non-Mobile Share customers

post #1 of 141
Thread Starter 
AT&T on Wednesday published a public letter defending its decision to block FaceTime calls over 3G for customers who have not switched to its new shared data plans, arguing that its policy is in compliance with the FCC's net neutrality rules, because AT&T does not offer its own competing preloaded video chat application.

In a post to the carrier's public policy blog, AT&T representative Bob Quinn characterized criticism of the carrier's decision as a "knee jerk reaction" in which some have "rushed to judgment." The Federal Communication Commission's net neutrality rules require that carrier policies be transparent, and prohibits carriers from blocking services that compete with their own.

Because AT&T does not have a "similar preloaded video chat app" to compete with Apple's FaceTime, Quinn said the carrier believes it is not in violation of the FCC's rules on blocking applications.

"The FCC's net neutrality rules do not regulate the availability to customers of applications that are preloaded on phones," Quinn wrote. "Indeed, the rules do not require that providers make available any preloaded apps. Rather, they address whether customers are able to download apps that compete without voice or video telephony services."

Quinn said AT&T still allows users to download video chat applications from the iOS App Store and other mobile application stores. Apple's FaceTime, however, comes built in to the iOS mobile operating system on the iPhone.

"Although the rules don't require it, some preloaded apps are available without charge on phones sold by AT&T, including FaceTime, but subject to some reasonable restrictions," Quinn said. "To date, all of the preloaded video chat applications on the phones we sell, including FaceTime, have been limited to Wi-Fi."

AT&T


Starting with the launch of iOS 6 this fall, the iPhone 4S will be capable of making FaceTime calls over 3G wireless networks. But AT&T announced last week that FaceTime calls over 3G will only be available to customers who sign up for the carrier's upcoming Mobile Share data plans.

"To be clear, customers will continue to be able to use FaceTime over Wi-Fi irrespective of the data plan they choose," Quinn said. "We are broadening our customers' ability to use the preloaded version of FaceTime but limiting it in this manner to our newly developed AT&T Mobile Share data plans out of an overriding concern for the impact this expansion may have on our network and the overall customer experience."

He added that AT&T will be in a "learning mode" following the launch of iOS 6 to see the kind of effect FaceTime over 3G has on AT&T's network.

AT&T's Mobile Share plans launch later this month start at a monthly price of $45 per smartphone, plus $40 for 1 gigabyte of data. The more data a subscriber adds to their plan, the less the cost per gigabyte and the cost per additional smartphone. For example, a 4-gigabyte plan with unlimited talk and text has a base price of $70, plus $40 for each smartphone.
post #2 of 141

What is Verizon's position?  Are they supporting Facetime on umlimited plans?  I thought Verizon is forcing all customers to their own tiered plans?

post #3 of 141

As far as I know Verizon is only forcing you to a shared plan if you want to get the subsidized price on the phone.  So if I decide to pay full retail for the new iPhone when it comes out I can keep my unlimited data package.  I haven't seen them say anything about facetime over cellular yet though.

 

As far as this goes, whoever this guy at AT&T is he is an idiot.  How does the facetime feature being built into the phone have anythign to do with this.  The fact is if you use Skype you'll be able to keep using it without changing your data plan, if you use Facetime you'll have to change to the new data plan.  That is rediculous.  Seems like they are just doing this because Apple has made it easy for them to do.  Wonder if they'll do the same thing with tethering.  If you want to tether with the new iPhone you have to update to the new shared data plans, otherwise you can't tether?

post #4 of 141

Sorry single people, AT&T hates you and doesn't think you should be Facetiming while out and about.

post #5 of 141

It could be argued that having Facetime available to all subscribers, including those who remain on the current minute/data plans, would encourage people to lower the minutes portion of their plan. If that is the case it could also be argued that AT&T is blocking its usage to keep it from competing with a similar service that they offer. I don't know how well it would stand up but I see the two as competing services, voice communication and video communication can still be boiled down to communication.

~Tokolosh
Reply
~Tokolosh
Reply
post #6 of 141

While true, AT&T may not have it's own video chat application, it does have an international calling app that allows between 2 and 4 cents per minute calls via VoIP. http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/at-t-call-international/id468655530?mt=8
 

The details state on AT&T's Call International app that calls may be placed over wifi in some countries. That is a VoIP technology call, which is the same as a facetime video call in all practicality, to the consumer. 

Facetime also directly competes with the PMOU charges on AT&T's individual calling plans, by allowing customers to bypass the per minute fees when they go over their voice minutes. Forcing customers to use facetime on unlimited voice calling plans with extremely high priced data restricts Apple's ability to compete with AT&T for voice traffic. 

 

Keep in mind in 2009 AT&T bent to allow Skype over 3G, due to pending pressure with an FCC investigation over unfair blocking. This was before the Open Internet Rules were in effect. 

post #7 of 141

AT&T said:

 

Quote:
"We are broadening our customers' ability to use the preloaded version of FaceTime but limiting it in this manner to our newly developed AT&T Mobile Share data plans out of an overriding concern for the impact this expansion may have on our network and the overall customer experience."

 

Translation:

 

Quote:
We are restricting how our customers use their data in an effort to force them into plans that are more profitable for us. Our overriding concern is that customers won't want our voice plans if alternatives are available, and the overall customer experience will become less expensive.
post #8 of 141

So if Facetime were a download from the app store that integrated into the phone app then we would be good to go?

You can't spell appeal without Apple.
Reply
You can't spell appeal without Apple.
Reply
post #9 of 141

Honestly, T-Mobile rocks more and more every day. I have unlimited everything for $50 a month with no contract. If you factor in the subsidized cost of an unlocked iPhone into the works, that is less than an additional $20 a month carried over the two years of a contract. 

post #10 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerstalker View Post

As far as I know Verizon is only forcing you to a shared plan if you want to get the subsidized price on the phone.  So if I decide to pay full retail for the new iPhone when it comes out I can keep my unlimited data package.  I haven't seen them say anything about facetime over cellular yet though.

 

As far as this goes, whoever this guy at AT&T is he is an idiot.  How does the facetime feature being built into the phone have anythign to do with this.  The fact is if you use Skype you'll be able to keep using it without changing your data plan, if you use Facetime you'll have to change to the new data plan.  That is rediculous.  Seems like they are just doing this because Apple has made it easy for them to do.  Wonder if they'll do the same thing with tethering.  If you want to tether with the new iPhone you have to update to the new shared data plans, otherwise you can't tether?

Totally agree with you on the Skype aspect.  Skype is multi-platform (Android), as are other video calling apps.  This is nickle-and-diming discrimination on AT&T's part of the iPhone, pure and simple.  Every iOS fan should contact the FCC and let them know your displeasure with this.  I may switch to Verizon because of this.

 

A note on Verizon: as far as I know, the new Verizon shared plan only replaces the "family plans" from before, a person with only 1 phone does not have to subscribe to a "shared" plan.  And if you have an iPad, you can either get a shared plan and have your phone and iPad share the data, or you can simply subscribe to a separate data plan on the iPad.

post #11 of 141

As I say every time this comes up:

 

One word.

 

Jailbreak.

post #12 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by DamonF View Post

A note on Verizon: as far as I know, the new Verizon shared plan only replaces the "family plans" from before, a person with only 1 phone does not have to subscribe to a "shared" plan.  And if you have an iPad, you can either get a shared plan and have your phone and iPad share the data, or you can simply subscribe to a separate data plan on the iPad.

As far as I know there aren't any individual regular plans for new customers anymore.  You either get a share everything plan, or a prepaid plan.

post #13 of 141

Bad business...I s**t canned ATT even though I had unlimited data from the first iPhone. The reason was, when I bought a WiFi iPad2 and wanted to tether it to my iPhone4. ATT told me, "Yep, $45 additional a month and oh yeah, you lose your unlimited plan!" What????

 

ATT sux. Just bad business. The fastest growing sector and least profitable is the "pre-paid" plans. That should tell ATT and Verizon where the future is. 

 

I wish Apple would just buy Sprint and make it $49/mo unlimited for everything. And really put the screws to ATT and Verizon! :)

 

Also buy a sat TV company...and bypass the cable companies altogether.

 

Actually, Apple wouldn't have to buy the companies outright they would just have to buy enough "ownership" to direct the strategies! :)

 

Oh well, gotta write another $90 check to Sprunt.


Edited by christopher126 - 8/22/12 at 7:36am
post #14 of 141
Get bent, AT&T. 
 
So you're saying you're legally allowed to block all smartphones from making calls because "the phone app is built in"? Or from using the Internet because "the browser is built in"?

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply
post #15 of 141
at&t are self-serving BS merchants... they control when they get a video chat app; and they control when they un-block facetime.
OMG self-serving !!!!!

they charge you way too much for data, and are now telling how/how not to use your "gold" plated data.

of course i am sure this is because of the people that have unlimited data plans... (at&t's fault for providing something they should have known, that to support it they will/would have upgrade their cell phone structure for the lucky few that have the unlimited data plans).
Edited by haar - 8/22/12 at 7:40am
post #16 of 141

As the Qualcomm MDM9615 appears to support DC-HSPA+ (41 Mbps) which is arguably the most likely baseband processor for the new iPhone, T-Mobile might be the way to go considering the  glacial pace of deployment of AT&T's LTE network.

 

Despite surveys which appear to suggest that consumers see little value in LTE, the new iPhone would benefit greatly from improved connectivity (Maps, Siri).

 

 

 
 
 
post #17 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBell View Post

Honestly, T-Mobile rocks more and more every day. I have unlimited everything for $50 a month with no contract. If you factor in the subsidized cost of an unlocked iPhone into the works, that is less than an additional $20 a month carried over the two years of a contract. 

 

I doubt T-Mobile will give me 45mbs as I am I getting on my iPad 3.

post #18 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBook Pro View Post

 

Despite surveys which appear to suggest that consumers see little value in LTE, the new iPhone will benefit greatly from improved connectivity (Maps, Siri).

 

 

 

Agreed, this seems a little like Henry Ford saying if he had asked customers what they wanted, they would have said, "a faster horse!"

 

I think I read that in Jobs' biography.

post #19 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by alcstarheel View Post

So if Facetime were a download from the app store that integrated into the phone app then we would be good to go?

 

I'm all for this.  Give us a $0.99 download Apple and we can run Facetime over 3G.

 

This whole thing is stupid.  I can't run Facetime, but I can run Netflix, or Skype?

 

Just the other day, I was blocked from downloading a 60MB audio podcast because it was > 50MB.  So I streamed it instead.  Total Bandwidth Used: 200MB.

post #20 of 141

AT&T is such a piece of shit.

iMac 21.5" 2.7 GHz (2011), 1TB HDD, 8GB RAM; iPhone 5c 16GB White; iPod Touch 4G 8GB Black; iPod Touch 2G 8GB
Reply
iMac 21.5" 2.7 GHz (2011), 1TB HDD, 8GB RAM; iPhone 5c 16GB White; iPod Touch 4G 8GB Black; iPod Touch 2G 8GB
Reply
post #21 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerstalker View Post

...  Wonder if they'll do the same thing with tethering.  If you want to tether with the new iPhone you have to update to the new shared data plans, otherwise you can't tether?

 

I agree that they are being a-holes here because ... well, that's what carriers do (and are), but in their defence ... 

 

... everyone in the USA rolled over like a puppy dog on the whole tethering controversy so they have every right to expect to be able to screw people on this as well and get away with it.  

 

Paying tethering fees is simply being charged twice for the same data and most carriers in the US do it and most people stupidly, and willingly pay for it.  

 

I'm not sure how bad things can get before the first person stands up and refuses to take it anymore.  Where is the rage?  Where are the lawsuits against the carriers?  I find it shameful in the extreme that we all let ourselves get screwed over by these phone companies for so many years and yet nothing is ever done about it.  

 

Profits and volume for the carriers have increased substantially in the last five years yet consumer prices remain the same (very high).  In Canada you have to sign a three year contract and you have to re-up the contract if you change any single feature of your plan for an entirely new three year period.  All the big carriers have the same deal and the same prices so you don't even have a choice.  Cell companies also regularly lie and cheat their own customers in their own stores and not only does no one do anything about it, they don't even complain.  

 

If this was the 1970's there would be riots in the streets over this stuff, but today all we do is post angry letters on the Internet and stew in our own juices.  It's like we've turned into a world of wimps and slaves. And despite decades of evidence to the contrary, we all believe the capitalist crapola that these corporations spew out about how they aren't really making much money and how they have to pay for their infrastructure and so forth when it's easy as pie to look up the facts and find out they are all completely lying about that.  

 

So in deference to the carriers, they have every right to expect us to take this shite because we've all been so accommodating about all the previous raping and pillaging they've done.  Why would anyone expect anything different?  

post #22 of 141

This seems to be why they feel they can get away with it, but not at all a explanation for why I can't use my data the way I want to use my data.  I was unaware that I could only use my chunk of the internet in the way AT&T allows.

post #23 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkVader View Post

As I say every time this comes up:

 

One word.

 

Jailbreak.

 

Jailbreaking is a time consuming pain in the ass though.  

 

Only a geek wants to spend that much time fooling around with the guts of their phone and boot-loaders and such and you have to give up on having all the latest stuff as you are always one release behind. 

post #24 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

Agreed, this seems a little like Henry Ford saying if he had asked customers what they wanted, they would have said, "a faster horse!"

I think I read that in Jobs' biography.

the (late steve jobs) said (i am paraphasing) "i dont ask what people want, because by the time it is built they want something different"

i think henry ford also said " any color you want as long as it is black".
post #25 of 141

FaceTime is not that big of a deal. Most people don't use it at all or if they do it is usually on WiFi. If you and the person you usually FaceTime with download Skype, you can use that to video chat when there is no WiFi available....or just pay the premium and don't worry about it. That is what AT&T wants you to do. Pay the premium and then rarely use FaaceTime. The perfect profit generation machine.hmm2.gif

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #26 of 141

sounds like Apple could come to rescue by deleting FaceTime and putting it in the App Store as a free download. It seems awfully ridiculous that the only reason they claim to block it is because it is built in to the phone. I have Verizon so I havent heard for sure what they gonna do but I was afraid when i first got the iPhone that they would cripple it by making us use stuff from VZ like they did with BlackBerry.

post #27 of 141
Wheres a class action lawsuit when its genuinely needed?

Actually, its time for Apple to step up and roll out iOS 6 with an additional option in Facetime to enable calling over 3G after you accept the terms and conditions and accept that if you go over your data allowance it may cost you a lot of money.

Then its out of the carriers hands. What would AT&T do? drop the iPhone? I think not. lol
Edited by irnchriz - 8/22/12 at 8:01am
post #28 of 141

Holy cow... just, holy cow. I really feel sorry for Americans. You guys pretty much have to pay at léást 40+45 (for smartphone users), plus an average of 20 bucks pér added phone/tablet/laptop. At the very least you'll be paying $85 per month, and that in a time and age where data is incredibly cheap.

 

I'm incredibly happy we don't have AT&T in Holland, although most of the mobile providers we have here are upping their prices by about 10-25% per half a year for the past 2 years now as well. I think áll mobile providers are trying to hold on to their ancient business model without looking forward, and are still treating their clients like we're idiots. The downside is that we can't really do much about it since mobile phones are so integrated into our sociaty... but it really is a "dear consumer, please bend over for us" situation at the moment.

post #29 of 141

Leave it to AT&T to shout from the mountain top how their service is inferior compared to the competition.

 

<facepalm>

   Apple develops an improved programming language.  Google copied Java.  Everything you need to know, right there.

 

  MA497LL/A FB463LL/A MC572LL/A FC060LL/A MD481LL/A MD388LL/A ME344LL/A

Reply

   Apple develops an improved programming language.  Google copied Java.  Everything you need to know, right there.

 

  MA497LL/A FB463LL/A MC572LL/A FC060LL/A MD481LL/A MD388LL/A ME344LL/A

Reply
post #30 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

Bad business...I s**t canned ATT even though I had unlimited data from the first iPhone. The reason was, when I bought a WiFi iPad2 and wanted to tether it to my iPhone4. ATT told me, "Yep, $45 additional a month and oh yeah, you lose your unlimited plan!" What????

 

ATT sux. Just bad business. The fastest growing sector and least profitable is the "pre-paid" plans. That should tell ATT and Verizon where the future is. 

 

I wish Apple would just buy Sprint and make it $49/mo unlimited for everything. And really put the screws to ATT and Verizon! :)

 

Also buy a sat TV company...and bypass the cable companies all together.

 

Actually, Apple wouldn't have to buy the companies outright they would just have to buy enough "ownership" to direct the strategies! :)

 

Oh well, gotta write another $90 check to Sprunt.

 

Unfortunately, Apple knows the financial future of technology companies rests upon not only the United States of America and Europe but on BRIC (Brazil, Russia, India and China) as well.  Purchasing Sprint would actually do very little for Apple although I understand your sentiment.

 

Regarding purchasing of a cable company, the only real means for Apple prevent the gouging occurring in subscriber television services is to create their own content or enable users to create their own content.  To wit, a few companies own a vast majority of cable and satellite broadcasting networks:

 

A&E Television Networks owns A&E Network. The Biography Channel, Crime & Investigation Network, History, H2, History en Español, Lifetime, Lifetime Movie Network, Lifetime Real Women, Military History.

 

Comcast owns 51% of NBC Universal which owns  Bravo, Bravo HD (eventually renamed Universal HD), Chiller,  Cloo, CNBC, CNBC World, E! Entertainment Television, G4, The Golf Channel,  MSNBC, mun2, Syfy, ShopNBC, Telemundo, USA Network and the Olympic Games on cable) Versus (now known as NBC Sports Network).  NBC Universal Cable also manages the company's investments in The Weather Channel and TiVo. 

 

News Corporation owns Fox News Channel, Fox Business Network, FX, Fox Soccer, Fox Soccer Plus, Fox Movie Channel, Fox Deportes, Fuel TV, Nat Geo Wild, National Geographic Channel, Speed,  and the 19 Fox Sports Net channels and Fox owned and operated local broadcast stations.

 

Turner Broadcasting System, Inc., the subsidiary of Time Warner, owns CNN (as well as CNN Airport Network and CNN International), HLN, TBS, TNT, Cartoon Network, Boomerang, truTV, Turner Classic Movies and The CW Television Network.

 

Viacom owns BET and spinoff network Centric, Comedy Central, CMT, Logo, MTV and spinoff networks MTV2, Tr3s and Palladia, Nickelodeon, Nick@Nite and spinoff networks TeenNick, Nick Jr. and Nicktoons; VH1 and spinoff network VH1 Classic,  Spike and TV Land.

 

 

I should add that we cut the cable (aka "cut the cord") mere days before Apple added Hulu Plus to AppleTV (3rd generation) and I haven't looked back.  Netflix has a significant catalog of television and movies.  We also have a Roku 2 XS for Amazon Prime and UFC.  Although I could use AirPlay from our Macs, the quality isn't sufficient for a live streaming event as yet; I suspect 802.11ac will be required for seamwless live streaming from Mac to television via AirPlay.  We have poor reception of over-the-air broadcast television as we are nested in a valley.   We rent videos from Redbox.

 

I encourage everyone to at least attempt to cut the cable for a few days.  If you can pass a psychological barrier of one month then you will likely never return.  Imagine what you can do with an extra $100 per month!

 

Edited by MacBook Pro - 8/22/12 at 8:23am
post #31 of 141

I'm trying to figure this out.  Let's say my wife and I have iPhones and want 4GB of data.  What is the monthly price?  $150?  I pay a little more than that now, but my plan is unlimited.  Then, if I wanted to add other devices (say an iPad) it would be $20/month PER device.   

 

All of the above is exactly why I'm bailing on AT&T when I upgrade to the new iPhone.  Their network sucks.  Their pricing structure sucks.  Their service sucks.  Their coverage sucks.  Back to VZW I go.  

I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
post #32 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The Federal Communication Commission's net neutrality rules require that carrier policies be transparent, and prohibits carriers from blocking services that compete with their own.
Because AT&T does not have a "similar preloaded video chat app" to compete with Apple's FaceTime, Quinn said the carrier believes it is not in violation of the FCC's rules on blocking applications.
"The FCC's net neutrality rules do not regulate the availability to customers of applications that are preloaded on phones," Quinn wrote. "Indeed, the rules do not require that providers make available any preloaded apps. Rather, they address whether customers are able to download apps that compete without voice or video telephony services."
Quinn said AT&T still allows users to download video chat applications from the iOS App Store and other mobile application stores. Apple's FaceTime, however, comes built in to the iOS mobile operating system on the iPhone.
"Although the rules don't require it, some preloaded apps are available without charge on phones sold by AT&T, including FaceTime, but subject to some reasonable restrictions," Quinn said. "To date, all of the preloaded video chat applications on the phones we sell, including FaceTime, have been limited to Wi-Fi."

 

Peiople seem to be misunderstanding this section, either by poor reading comprehension or intentionally.  What is being said is not that they can do this b/c FaceTime is a built in app, they are saying they can do this b/c they have no apps of their own that currently do video chats over 3G.  Because of this, it is not a competition issue.  If AT&T had an app of their own that they pre-loaded on all the phones they sold that was capable of 3G video chats, they would have to allow FaceTime over 3G.  Since they don't do this, they feel they are not breaking the net neutrality policies.

 

Is this pretty nitpicky and douchey?  Sure.  If they are not mis-stating the policies tho, it would seem they are legally within their rights

post #33 of 141

The fact that they are even commenting about this means they're scared.  This will get reversed soon enough.  Just watch.

 

Not that it will keep me on AT&T.  As soon as the new phones are released this fall, I'm gone.

 

WORST.  COMPANY.  EVER.

 

post #34 of 141

I think ATT and Verizon's plans are diabolical. These shared plans are almost insultingly expensive. I know they have to get money to build an infrastructure that has insatiable demands but, wow. I wish there was some way to pool resources so that they weren't all building their own infrastructure. And to not allow FaceTime on it. The very occasional FaceTime user isn't what's using up the bandwidth.

 

But on that note, c'mon over to Sprint, folks. I love their rates and their customer service has gotten superb. Call quality is great and I've had maybe 2 dropped calls in a dozen years. Data speeds in the DC area were awesome for the pre-iPhone/Android era but *mostly* poor now. I can stream music and use maps fine in even the most rural places but browsing can be weak at times. You probably won't be able to use FaceTime at all lol.gif right now but when LTE finally comes to your area you won't be charged extra for it.

 

[Disclaimer: I did work at Sprint 12 years ago but had nothing to do with wireless and am not a shill for them. I. I'm using this plan and got a bit of a discount through this referral which is an open secret. Mods - feel free to redact this portion if you find this seems too much like advertising.]

post #35 of 141

AT&T has decided to block the built-in Safari, Weather, Stocks, Maps, Notes, Photos, Calendar, Camera, App Store, iTunes, and Reminders apps on the iPhone unless users pay for their more expensive data plan.

 

When questioned as to the legality of this move, they replied, "Because we can."

 

In other news, the government to continue to ignore AT&T.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply
post #36 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

I'm trying to figure this out.  Let's say my wife and I have iPhones and want 4GB of data.  What is the monthly price?  $150?  I pay a little more than that now, but my plan is unlimited.  Then, if I wanted to add other devices (say an iPad) it would be $20/month PER device.   

 

All of the above is exactly why I'm bailing on AT&T when I upgrade to the new iPhone.  Their network sucks.  Their pricing structure sucks.  Their service sucks.  Their coverage sucks.  Back to VZW I go.  

 

You realize the Verizon plan costs the exact same right?  2 smartphones, 4GB shared is $150. Tablets cost $10 each to add, Jetpack/Netbook/Notebook/USB costs $20, basic phones cost $30 and more smartphones are $40 each.  Smartphones on AT&T have a scaling price depending how much bandwidth you are adding and the add on devices cost exactly the same.  I don't see any real change as the 2 companies made their shared plans nearly identical

post #37 of 141

They don't 'believe,' eh?

 

Do they 'believe' in class action lawsuits? I 'believe' the time has come.

post #38 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waverunnr View Post

The fact that they are even commenting about this means they're scared.  This will get reversed soon enough.  Just watch.

 

Not that it will keep me on AT&T.  As soon as the new phones are released this fall, I'm gone.

 

WORST.  COMPANY.  EVER.

 

 

Not a speck of AT&T LTE here in Philly. I 'believe' we are done with AT&T as well next month.

post #39 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawson100 View Post

Call quality is great and I've had maybe 2 dropped calls in a dozen years. Data speeds in the DC area were awesome for the pre-iPhone/Android era but *mostly* poor now. I can stream music and use maps fine in even the most rural places but browsing can be weak at times.

 

[Disclaimer: I did work at Sprint 12 years ago but had nothing to do with wireless and am not a shill for them. I. I'm using this plan and got a bit of a discount through this referral which is an open secret. Mods - feel free to redact this portion if you find this seems too much like advertising.]

 

Here in Louisville the data speeds are completely pathetic.  Speed test just gave me rates of 0.02Mbps down and 0.46 Mbps up with 1080ms ping on my iPhone 4S.  Re-test gave me even worse upload speeds.  Sure it's unlimited, but it's slow as crap.  This download speed is the worst I have ever seen on it actually.  It doesn't like being downtown.  I'm on that same plan, which was nice as I got to pay what I was paying when we had our LG Lotus phones and not feel the extra $10/phone smartphone fee.  Add $20 for the phones, subtract $20 from the plan cost.  I have poor quality as far as dropped calls and calls getting garbled.  We just got these phones in Feb, so I'll be eligible for new phones right around the time Apple releases the 2013 iPhone.  We'll see where the carriers are by then as far as LTE goes and how the pre-paid market is doing.  Love my phone, frustrated by the service, but I know I will pay even more if I go to Verizon or AT&T.

post #40 of 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by noexpectations View Post

What is Verizon's position?  Are they supporting Facetime on umlimited plans?  I thought Verizon is forcing all customers to their own tiered plans?

Verizon hasn't said anything specifically about Facetime over Cellular at this point. They are pushing customers to towards their everything plans as well, but the difference is that they are doing it at the time of upgrade. Example: If you are due for an upgrade and you want the phone you're upgrading to to be subsidized, then you have to give up your unlimited plan in favor of one of their everything plans. But, If you buy your phone at the full unsubsidized price, you can keep your unlimited plan. If you don't upgrade then you keep your same plan. While this sucks ass too, it makes more sense to me as at least they're doing it at a time when essentially you're starting a new contract. AT&T is also pushing it's clients towards their everything plans, and even though they're not forcing you, they're doing it by limiting the function of your phone over their network.....Pretty shitty...

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › AT&T defends plan to block 3G FaceTime for non-Mobile Share customers