or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple 'completely blown away' by iPhone 5 demand

Apple 'completely blown away' by iPhone 5 demand

post #1 of 160
Less than half a day after opening iPhone 5 pre-orders, Apple has been hit with stockouts of all models, including those provided to U.S. wireless carriers.

In a statement to All Things D, Apple spokeswoman Nat Kerris said, ?Pre-orders for iPhone 5 have been incredible. We?ve been completely blown away by the customer response.?

iPhone 5
Source: Apple

iPhone 5 pre-orders went live at 12:01 a.m. PDT, with customer demand at Apple's online store seeing a sellout of first-day shipment stock in about an hour. Launch day stock at the three major U.S. wireless operators, Verizon, AT&T and Sprint, likewise dwindled some hours later. Sprint is the only carrier with units available for delivery on Sept. 21, however stock is limited to the 32GB and 64GB models.

While the initial batch of launch day iPhone 5s are sold out, Apple and its partners are still taking pre-orders for the device, with the Online Apple Store now quoting ship-by dates of 2-3 weeks.
post #2 of 160

But isn't is supposed to be a disappointment?

Well, maybe in Trollistan, or Trollvania.

post #3 of 160
Imagine that, the Chinese must be smiling maybe even laughing.
post #4 of 160
iPhone 5 selling out was never doubted, the reasons why it sells out so quickly and how many they had available should be the real story.
post #5 of 160
Uh oh, you know what this means. Apple intentionally shorted the inventory so that they could make this claim.
/s
post #6 of 160
I love the `tech gurus of the Android world' talking smack about a blah product. Quality sells out. A choice of 50 so-so and a few very large screen phones will force OEMs to rethink it all from the ground up. Google is reaping money off your advertisement relationships. They could care less if the OEMs fail. They'll quietly make sure their subsidiary, MM, starts to put out more compelling solutions.
post #7 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psych_guy View Post

Uh oh, you know what this means. Apple intentionally shorted the inventory so that they could make this claim.
/s

Bullshit. People come up with this all the time. Apple is in a hurry. iPhone Sales continously were decreasing in the past month due to people waited for the iPhone 5. The Financial Quarter ends September so they must sell each unit they have in Order to meet the goals the market will expect from them.

Apple will release a sneak peek next week and I would estimate 7 million units sold in 3-5 days
post #8 of 160
Apple intentionally shorted inventory, this guy makes me laugh eithe he is trolling or he is comple buffoon

Originally by Rickers - 2014 : Cook & will bury Apple.  They can only ride Steve's ghost so long.

Originally Posted by  thataveragejoe :  Next week  Korea Times, "I'm gay too"-Samsung

Originally by Rickers - 2014 : Cook & will bury Apple.  They can only ride Steve's ghost so long.

Originally Posted by  thataveragejoe :  Next week  Korea Times, "I'm gay too"-Samsung

post #9 of 160
iPhone 5 is a great phone and provides everything consumers want.

This is gonna be huge
post #10 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrrodriguez View Post

iPhone 5 selling out was never doubted, the reasons why it sells out so quickly and how many they had available should be the real story.

Probably because it continues this:

http://www.iphonehacks.com/2012/09/iphone-tops-jd-power-customer-satisfaction-survey.html

http://www.bgr.com/2012/09/07/iphone-customer-satisfaction-bests-rivals-jd-power/

Like every iPhone that ever existed. 

post #11 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul94544 View Post

Apple intentionally shorted inventory, this guy makes me laugh eithe he is trolling or he is comple buffoon

Or maybe he was being sarcastic...

I believe "/s" is how tech people denote sarcasm. I take it you've never read any of his earlier posts?
post #12 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psych_guy View Post

/s

No, that's only one of the possible reasons. I covered this in a different thread:
Quote:
AI needs a poll option. Then we could ask all the trolls for the real reason why the shipping time has slipped.

a. Apple is artificially constraining supply to make it look like there's more demand than there really is.

b. It's just all the Apple sheep who have to run out and buy immediately and demand will fall off quickly.

c. Apple is restricting US supplies so that they can provide more for Germany as a payoff for the German courts siding with Apple against Motorola.

d. Apple is lying about the numbers.

e. Obviously, Apple has supply problems. Sharp can't deliver enough screens.

I wonder what the real reason is? After all, we know that it can't be high demand since it's obvious that this phone is nothing more than a spec bump.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #13 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodent View Post

Imagine that, the Chinese must be smiling maybe even laughing.

I smell a rat! :o)
post #14 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul94544 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre Bee View Post

Bullshit. People come up with this all the time. Apple is in a hurry. iPhone Sales continously were decreasing in the past month due to people waited for the iPhone 5. The Financial Quarter ends September so they must sell each unit they have in Order to meet the goals the market will expect from them.
Apple will release a sneak peek next week and I would estimate 7 million units sold in 3-5 days

Somebody needs to pay more attention to the sascasm tag ----------> /s

post #15 of 160

You don't really need proof that iPhones are selling like mad shortly after the introduction of a new model. Take it as a given right out of the gate. 

post #16 of 160
Quote:

You don't know what "/s" means?
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
"Google doesn't sell you anything, they just sell you!"
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
"Google doesn't sell you anything, they just sell you!"
post #17 of 160

It would be interesting to know whether the amount they "stocked" for launch was limited by Apple's own guidance or manufacturing.

post #18 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgregory1 View Post

It would be interesting to know whether the amount they "stocked" for launch was limited by Apple's own guidance or manufacturing.

leading up to the release there was speculation of supply issues.  No doubt Apple will sell a boatload, but no doubt (in my mind) that this go around they ACTUALLY have less supply than previous years.

post #19 of 160
Quote:

i call bullshit on your bullshit. the content on which you called bullshit was properly tagged and, therefore, not bullshit.
"Personally, I would like nothing more than to thoroughly proof each and every word of my articles before posting. But I can't."

appleinsider's mike campbell, august 15, 2013
"Personally, I would like nothing more than to thoroughly proof each and every word of my articles before posting. But I can't."

appleinsider's mike campbell, august 15, 2013
post #20 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Just wait till next week when numbers are released and then we are talking again
iPhone 4s was sold more than 1 Million times in 24hrs so 7 million for 5 days is very realistic even more when you think about it that they do the fastest rollout ever
post #21 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

I love the `tech gurus of the Android world' talking smack about a blah product. Quality sells out. A choice of 50 so-so and a few very large screen phones will force OEMs to rethink it all from the ground up. Google is reaping money off your advertisement relationships. They couldn't care less if the OEMs fail. They'll quietly make sure their subsidiary, MM, starts to put out more compelling solutions.

There fixed it for you. To say that someone could care less indicates that that they have to care at least the smallest bit and I am pretty sure you meant to say that they really could not care less.

iPad, Macbook Pro, iPhone, heck I even have iLife! :-)
iPad, Macbook Pro, iPhone, heck I even have iLife! :-)
post #22 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Twas his 2nd post. Look down up a few - still not comprehended in post 3.
post #23 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristophB View Post

Twas his 2nd post. Look down up a few - still not comprehended in post 3.

2nd post doesn't justify stupidity. I'd hope that anyone posting on this site has spent at least a little time reading the forums first (any forums) before spouting off.
post #24 of 160

I can wait until Oct 5. I know I said I was going to be online at midnight but I got sleepy...zzzz. I woke up at 4:00 am. Oh well better than standing in queue with Android trolls walking up and down the line taunting you with their big screens like in the commercials.  

BTW I ordered the white one (I know I said I was going black but I changed my mind at the last minute) 64 GB AT&T

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #25 of 160
Pre-orders sold out 20x faster than those of the 4S. If Apple has anywhere NEAR the numbers that we're available for 4s pre-orders (and they may have had more), we're looking at a monster launch that really is beyond anything else ever seen.

Either way, history repeats itself.

BORING. PATHETIC UPDATE. APPLE IS DOOMED. CATCHING UP TO WHAT ANDROID HAD 50 YEARS AGO. LOL NO MORE INNOVATION. IM FINISHED WITH APPLE. UNDERSPECCED. ETC ETC.

Then numbers start coming out, proving people on the Internet (and especially apple fan sites) are utterly disconnected from the real world and what people want, showing an unprecedented launch and smashing every record available. Every. Fucking. Time.
So the "apple is doomed" shit will be delayed another year, after the iphone 5 has become the best selling smartphone of all time. The 5S will be shown off, and we can repeat the all too predictable pattern, and the haters will continue to have a record of being 100% wrong, all the time, every time, but they won't history stop them from making the same assinine predictions.
post #26 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgregory1 View Post

Good question... My gut tells me manufacturing... My head tells me Apple guidance.

Edit:  According to PED, the iP5 release dates have been set to maximize 2012FQ4 results:

Quote:
  • iPhone 5: Will have launched in 31 countries before the close of fiscal Q4, 2012

By packing in 31 countries before the quarter ends on Sept. 29, Cook has pretty much guaranteed that the iPhone 5 will break all previous sales records, and that the revenue from those sales will be reflected in the next earnings report.

http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2012/09/13/apples-strategically-timed-iphone-5-rollout-schedule/

Edit 2:  AFICT, Apple counts an online Apple Store order as a "sale" when it begins "preparing for shipment" -- and bills your credit card.  That means any Apple Store orders made today with 2 week shipment will be booked as "sales" on the 28th and be included in FQ4 2012.  Also any new iPod orders.

Any sales to carriers or other resellers are booked as "sales" when shipments to them are scheduled.

Seems, that Tim has some skills to maximize financial performance -- in addition to those proven for manufacturing and supply-chain management.

Well done, Tim... Well done, Apple.

Edited by Dick Applebaum - 9/14/12 at 4:32pm
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
post #27 of 160

Apple is being completely irresponsible by selling clearly superior phones. If only they would follow the tried and tested model of releasing crap phones then they would not have this supply/demand problem.

post #28 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundvision View Post

Somebody needs to pay more attention to the sascasm tag ----------> /s

Lol agreedlol.gif

post #29 of 160
"Apple 'completely blown away' by iPhone demand"

It's the Windows Kin phone all over again...
Android: pitting every phone company in the world against one, getting a higher number, and considering it a major achievement.
Android: pitting every phone company in the world against one, getting a higher number, and considering it a major achievement.
post #30 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

BORING. PATHETIC UPDATE. APPLE IS DOOMED. CATCHING UP TO WHAT ANDROID HAD 50 YEARS AGO. LOL NO MORE INNOVATION. IM FINISHED WITH APPLE. UNDERSPECCED. ETC ETC.

Thought I'd just add that the iPhone 5 is probably just a success because it stole Android's notification center.

;-)
post #31 of 160
Quote:
Then numbers start coming out, proving people on the Internet (and especially apple fan sites) are utterly disconnected from the real world and what people want, showing an unprecedented launch and smashing every record available. Every. Fucking. Time.
So the "apple is doomed" shit will be delayed another year, after the iphone 5 has become the best selling smartphone of all time. The 5S will be shown off, and we can repeat the all too predictable pattern, and the haters will continue to have a record of being 100% wrong, all the time, every time, but they won't history stop them from making the same assinine predictions.

Yes! Haha, this is so refreshing because it's so true. Preach on, brother. Bring on the iPad mini, smart fingerprint tech, and whatever secret TV project is cooking - and let the haters hate.
post #32 of 160

When was the last launch that Apple was not blown away by? I'm pretty sure 'higher than expected consumer demand' has been the theme the last few times. Although in this case, I'm really curious as to what the numbers will come out to be. I think they will be stratospheric. 

post #33 of 160
Originally Posted by DethByUngaBunga View Post
Bring on the iPad mini, smart fingerprint tech, and whatever secret TV project is cooking - and let the haters hate.

I don't see how any of those ideas fit anywhere or are evident due to the iPhone's success. 

post #34 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Pre-orders sold out 20x faster than those of the 4S. If Apple has anywhere NEAR the numbers that we're available for 4s pre-orders (and they may have had more), we're looking at a monster launch that really is beyond anything else ever seen.
Either way, history repeats itself.

I find it hard to believe Apple had the same number of 5's as they did 4S's an sold out 20X faster. It doesn't make any sense.  I think this is a combination of lower supplies for the US (more countries in at launch date IIRC), a better server to handle the load so more people could order faster without getting locked out, and maybe actually fewer in inventory if the supply problems reports are true.

I also love how so many of this forum are completely myopic. One either drools over every Apple move or one is a Fandroid.  I don't think this phone was a innovative in technology as it should have been. I repeated that here several times. It didn't stop me from buying one, but it also didn't stop me from pointing out the flaws I see in Apple's products.

post #35 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Originally Posted by DethByUngaBunga View Post
Bring on the iPad mini, smart fingerprint tech, and whatever secret TV project is cooking - and let the haters hate.

I don't see how any of those ideas fit anywhere or are evident due to the iPhone's success. 

I think we should all chip in to buy Tallest a new iPhone 5 with a 2 year contract prepaid. Perhaps then he will stop being such a Debbie Downer.

post #36 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain J View Post

I find it hard to believe Apple had the same number of 5's as they did 4S's an sold out 20X faster. It doesn't make any sense.  I think this is a combination of lower supplies for the US (more countries in at launch date IIRC), a better server to handle the load so more people could order faster without getting locked out, and maybe actually fewer in inventory if the supply problems reports are true.

I also love how so many of this forum are completely myopic. One either drools over every Apple move or one is a Fandroid.  I don't think this phone was a innovative in technology as it should have been. I repeated that here several times. It didn't stop me from buying one, but it also didn't stop me from pointing out the flaws I see in Apple's products.

It doesn't have to be completely innovative every time it's release. Do you say that about cars every year? It just has to build upon what was released last year.

post #37 of 160
Originally Posted by mstone View Post
…contract prepaid.

Bit of an oxymoron, idn'it? 

My point stands, of course.

post #38 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Originally Posted by mstone View Post
…contract prepaid.

Bit of an oxymoron, idn'it? 

My point stands, of course.

ain'it the truth? All your points stand of course since you da' man!

post #39 of 160

Here's something that Samsung and others are free to copy, without repercussions.

There are no patents on long lines and there are no patents on having the most desirable phone in the world. Go ahead Samsung, go and copy that, I don't think that Apple can sue you for that. The only problem is that you first have to make an original and amazing product that will cause millions of people to lose sleep and get up in the middle of the night with their credit cards by their side, ready to order said product, causing slow servers and creating a feeding frenzy unlike anything ever seen before.

One thing is for sure, countless people on the internet are apparently infected by the retard virus, a virus which causes certain people to completely lose their minds and it makes these people look like complete idiots and it causes them to make the most outlandish and comical claims. These people are borderline mentally ill and they have a totally warped sense of reality. Anybody with a normally functioning brain could see that the iPhone 5 would be a grand slam from the start!

Anybody claiming that the iPhone 5 was not a significant upgrade is either lying or they are completely clueless. Just about every single component in the iPhone got an upgrade. 

And here's a clue, the iPhone 6, iPhone 7 (or whatever they're going to call them) and so on, will also improve upon the iPhone, making the best phone in the world slightly better each time. Only a complete freaking idiot would abandon or drastically change a wildly successful product, which is pretty much what some morons claim to want. If you are young and ignorant or maybe just stupid, go look up "New Coke" and perhaps you'll understand how utterly stupid your ideas sound and you also might learn a thing or two about how successful businesses work and how to avoid historic fiascos.

If iOS is "boring" to you, then perhaps you should ask your mother to up your dosage of Ritalin. I can guarantee you that you will be disappointed in the next iPhone and the next version of iOS also. The simple fact of the matter is that the people have spoken (the people who matter most, customers with money), and the iPhone is the undisputed most desirable and best designed phone on the planet. If you disagree, then you most likely have some oversized, plastic piece of crap in your pocket which runs a vastly inferior OS with enormous lag, that is barely even fit for human consumption. Hell, I wouldn't even buy an Android phone and give it to my dog, if I had one. And you are of course free to use whichever phone you want, just don't pretend that you don't know who the king is.

post #40 of 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain J View Post

The problem with the "it isn't innovative" claim is that no one can really identify what would have been innovative ... because until Apple shows an innovation to the market, no one knows about it.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple 'completely blown away' by iPhone 5 demand