or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › 'iPad mini' to give Apple tech advantage, protect mobile device marketshare

'iPad mini' to give Apple tech advantage, protect mobile device marketshare

post #1 of 106
The technology used in Apple's hotly-anticipated "iPad mini" will reportedly give the company a three to five year advantage over competitors, while the tablet itself is expected to protect against the emerging "midsize" device market positioned between the dominant iPhone and 9.75-inch iPad.

In a note to investors released on Friday, KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo said the iPad mini will be responsible for a major shift in market and industry trends, the most important being new demand for small form factor tablets and control of key technologies like the device's GF DITO touchscreen.

There is currently emerging demand for devices with screen sizes ranging from 5 inches to 10 inches, a crucial gap not yet filled by any Apple product. Kuo noted that the apparent vacuum was unintentionally created by Apple, explaining that the iPhone and iPad are so successful that competitors sought to differentiate themselves by aggressively developing products sized between the two iDevices.

This new market is seen as a boon for OEMs, fueled by cellular network proliferation, app development, and attractive product pricing due to relatively inexpensive components. Kuo believes that Apple has much to gain by entering the market, but perhaps more importantly much to lose if it does not as the competition is quickly growing.

iPad mini Rendering
Rendering of Apple's rumored iPad mini. | Source: Martin Hajek

While smartphones were initially used mostly for voice calls and text-based messaging, widespread access to mobile data networks and the emergence of new apps like e-reader software have prompted device makers to increase the size of handset screens. At a certain point, smartphones become unwieldy and users begin opting to carry smaller tablets as companion devices dedicated to browsing and apps.

As mentioned above, the new breed of small for factor tablets are reasonably low-cost items. Notable among these devices is Amazon's Kindle Fire line, which has enjoyed sales growth due to its at-cost price point. According to Kuo, Apple is most concerned about competing content ecosystems from Amazon and Android, both of which are expanding in concert with device sales.

On the topic of pricing, the analyst believes that Apple needs to offer lower-tier products as the global economy continues to slump. Also a factor is the maturity of high-income markets like the U.S. and Europe, which will slowly push companies to focus more attention on Asia.

In addition to Apple's need to compete in the emerging "midsize" tablet marketplace, the iPad mini will offer the company a considerable leg up over competitors in terms of controlling key technology assets. The 7.85-inch iPad is thought to be the first consumer product to employ "GF2" touchscreen tech, which will allow the device to be 18 percent thinner than the current third-generation iPad. With Apple rumored to be rolling out GF2 in upcoming products, the company will be three to five years ahead of the competition as the technology is projected to become an industry leader for small form factor tablets.

Finally, Kuo offered a breakdown of estimated component costs, and echoed recent speculation suggesting entry-level iPad mini models will be priced at around $300.

Apple is widely expected to debut the iPad mini at a special event scheduled for Oct. 23. Also rumored to be unveiled is a 13-inch MacBook Pro with Retina display, while a newly-redesigned iMac and updated Mac mini may make appearances as well.
post #2 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Kuo noted that the apparent vacuum was unintentionally created by Apple, explaining that the iPhone and iPad are so successful that competitors sought to differentiate themselves by aggressively developing products sized between the two iDevices.

Competitors had no choice but to come out with small screen tablets because they couldn't figure out how to make a competively priced tablet in the large form factor.

Please update the AppleInsider app to function in landscape mode.

Please update the AppleInsider app to function in landscape mode.

post #3 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd_in_sb View Post

Competitors had no choice but to come out with small screen tablets because they couldn't figure out how to make a competively priced tablet in the large form factor.

...and the article would imply that Apple had no choice but to offer their own 'tweener size. Soon competitor's won't have any choice but to offer color options and more accessories. At some point Apple won't have any choice but to reduce entry prices. . . . and so it goes.

Edited by Gatorguy - 10/20/12 at 5:34am
melior diabolus quem scies
post #4 of 106
Is this the same display (notwithstanding resolution difference) as found in iP5?
post #5 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

...and the article would imply that Apple had no choice but to offer their own 'tweener size. Soon competitor's won't have any choice but to offer color options and more accessories. At some point Apple won't have any choice but to reduce entry prices. . . . and so it goes.

Well, they said that about iPhone and Apple only reduced price once.
post #6 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd_in_sb View Post

I don't buy that no one can "figure out" how to manufacture it as cheaply. It's more a case of no one else commands the supply chain at the same scale.
post #7 of 106
The iPod Touch, which is essentially a 4inch iPad, starts at $299 for a 32GB version. Obviously, they are providing 32GB of storage rather than 16GB most likely because it is typically used as a media (songs mostly) and since it is similar in size as a point and shoot camera, I think it is safe to say that people take lots of pictures/videos and play music on these devices which would require a fair degree of storage for that data.

On an iPad mini, the only way I can see them selling it for $299 would be either a 8 or 16 GB version as an entry "reader" type product, but I can see the smaller (less than 8 inch) also being used as a cash register type functionality for certain types of retail tasks. Waiters/Waitresses using them to take and process orders at restaurants, or any other types of positions at a various retail organizations.

I can potentially see a 5inch version iPad or iPhone in the future if this phablet market seems to be big enough to go after, which might seem plausible.

Because these types of devices are new, I think as time goes on, people will not only get a firm grasp as to what apps people will be ultimately gravitating towards, but also screen size for smartphones, tablets and media devices and they seem to be basically the same (more or less) OS and basic applications to be used. It just boils down to what screen sizes people will be gravitating towards and what the best processors, RAM, SSD they can fit inside along with battery power.
post #8 of 106

Chasing the cheaper tablets worries me. They have the pad with the perfect size screen. Whats next, a disposable iPhone?

post #9 of 106
Originally Posted by mcrs
[post deleted]

MacRumors released a pricing model that starts at $499 for the low end model and goes up to $829.

First off, Apple doesn't like selling low margin product because they can't make enough profit to warrant going after that market.  That's why they don't use plastic and cheap screens, etc.

Those $80 tablets you speak of, those are in large quantity, so that is the pricing for a genaric OEM would pay for it, and then mark up the product from there.  The actual specs are definitely not as good as a typical Apple, plus they come with pretty much ZERO support, don't have a reputable brand name, and are basically the same thing as cheaply made clone PCs, if you will.  Apple's answer to a cheap clone PC is a MacMini, which start at $600, currently.

It makes NO sense for a top tier company like Apple to make cheaply made products that are priced the same as the cheapest crap coming out of China for the same device.

Apple is not TRYING to capture 100% of the market.  First off, the don't have the mfg capabilities at this point to do so, unless they transferred all of the current mfg to make just Apple products.  They go after what they feel is PROFITABLE business that allows them to continually spend money in R&D for new processors, screen technology, etc., to be able to provide a high quality support network, profits to be able to survive the bad times, and also acquire other companies when they need to.

See your comparison of these $80 tablets are just junk.  Plain and simple and you OBVIOUSLY are some bitter Android user that's trying to mislead REALITY in terms of specs.  Just because a product has a slightly slower clock speed, does NOT mean it is ALWAYS a lessor quality processor.  Speed tests are the measurement.  Apple is going into a trend of designing their own CPU/GPU that is more advanced than many of these other cheaper processors.  You might want to look at the different types of ARM core types. An A15 instruction set core is FAIR better than an A9.  In addition, the type of GPU design is important as well as the SSD controller is important.  Just looking at clock speed isn't something to compare UNLESS everything else identical, which it isn't.  Apple now OWNS Anobit, which provides the best SSD controllers on the market, which gives Apple a HUGE advantage over the competition in chip design.

Screen technology, Apple's later generation screens are about the highest quality out there and I'm sure these $80 readers have the cheapest quality screens on the market, but in order to tell, you have to actually have one in your pocket.

Apps?  Apple not only has more, but Apple customers actually are more inclined to PAY for good apps.  Content?  Apple has the jump on Android for content in iTunes for music, podcasts (for which Google is getting out of), etc.  Apple generates about 4x the revenue from iTunes/App Store than Google's Play store.

If you come to this site comparing Apple's to some other platform, be well informed and NOT misleading.

But, I would say that Google/Android do have the edge when it comes to MORE malware, and being a COMPLETELY dysfunctional OS since most Android users are STILL using Android 2.X.  The 4.X market is only about 10 percent of the total Android market. A lot of the Google Apps you fondly speak about may not be designed to take advantage of all of the Operating System versions, screen sizes and resolutions on the market.  So, be careful when you say "just as many apps".

post #10 of 106
So, you're ready to become a bottom feeder now huh Apple?

The iPod Shuffle is by far my favourite and most used iPod (which I still use today*) and it only cost me $49. If you call that feeding on the bottom then so be it but it's not a crappy device just because it's inexpensive.

* Paid more for the waterproof casing and headphones for it. The only way I'll swim laps for an hour is to have my tunes, podcast or audiobook.

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

post #11 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxMacCary View Post

Apple absolutely better not sell the iPad Mini for $300.
They gotta do $199 or, failing that, $249 MAX if they're gonna "impulse buy" people away from
the $199-priced Nexus & KindleHDs and over to the Apple tablets.

Well considering how many $300+ iPods Apple has sold over the past decade to "impulse buyers", I don't think they'll have a problem selling a much more full featured device for the same price to "impulse buyers"
post #12 of 106
This article is mis-titled at best. So this screen is supposed to be so superior that rivals are at a 3-5 year disadvantage? Come on, all the screens on all the competing tablets are okay for a $250 device, and the Kindle can be read in the sunlight, which is an advantage for Amazon.
I have too much invested in Apple, so believe me I want the stock to go up, but if this article is the only reason to believe, then I'm even more afraid. MCRS has some good points. Hopefully there are other reasons to believe the ipad mini will be a success.
The truth will set you free.
post #13 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by drblank View Post

MacRumors released a pricing model that starts at $499 for the low end model and goes up to $829.

Um no. You should go back to read that article more closely. In fact, just reading the headline carefully will set you straight.

post #14 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxMacCary View Post

Apple absolutely better not sell the iPad Mini for $300.
They gotta do $199 or, failing that, $249 MAX if they're gonna "impulse buy" people away from
the $199-priced Nexus & KindleHDs and over to the Apple tablets.

Tim Cook and Phil Schiller thank you for giving them fair warning. They are so grateful to have your advice, given your vastly superior experience over theirs.

post #15 of 106
The only reason I would want an iPad mini is to mount it in my dashboard.
post #16 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by montefuego View Post

This article is mis-titled at best. So this screen is supposed to be so superior that rivals are at a 3-5 year disadvantage? Come on, all the screens on all the competing tablets are okay for a $250 device, and the Kindle can be read in the sunlight, which is an advantage for Amazon.
I have too much invested in Apple, so believe me I want the stock to go up, but if this article is the only reason to believe, then I'm even more afraid. MCRS has some good points. Hopefully there are other reasons to believe the ipad mini will be a success.

It sounds like your confusing the Kindle eReaders with the Kindle Fire. It's eInk that is better in the sunlight, not a backlight LCD.

To make an LCD better in the sunlight you can do two basic things: 1) Ramp up the max backlight which can add cost and uses more power, or 2) reduce the number of panels between the display and the user so there is less bouncing around to obfuscate the displayed image.

Except for Asus, Apple has used the brightest backlights, and Apple uses in-cell for the new iPhone and Touch which I think they will use with this device because it will reduce the thickness and weight lightly and shouldn't be too much of a challenge to incorporate with a 163 PPI display.

That said, no display or book is good in direct sunlight. You can read everything better with moderate and controlled light. Ever try reading a book at the beach with the sun blaring on the white pages and reflecting of it? If so, then you know it's far from ideal.

post #17 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaNorse View Post

Chasing the cheaper tablets worries me. They have the pad with the perfect size screen. Whats next, a disposable iPhone?

Yes, the iBurner...

(which hurts a lot more than "filing down" your fingers).
post #18 of 106
Quote:

Apple has never 'had no choice' about anything they do.

They will release this 'mini' will all the best tech, causing huge lines even though the price is hardly entry level, and be heralded as doing the mini tablet 'the right way' blah blah. It will be more like a big iPod touch, even running those apps. That will get them around the issues Steve talked about with shrinking the iPad etc.

And those cheap tablets will be the ones with a choice to make, step up or step out.

And the blogs will be full of 'Steve would do this' and 'Steve is cheering in his grave' and 'wow, Tim Cook does actually get it'. And the heads of the haters will simultaneously explode in an event that even Fox Mulder can't explain (Abrams will ignore the question to instead wax faux poetic and philosophical about the nature of the human condition and mans relationship with technology)
post #19 of 106
Guys, don't feed the troll.
post #20 of 106
$249 is the sweet spot
post #21 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrs View Post

So, you're ready to become a bottom feeder now huh Apple? 

Try this if you want to dominate some of the "growing markets".... 

7" No Name chinese-made Android Tablets:

USD 80 for 8 GB Wifi Only 
USD 125 for 16GB Wifi Only
USD 150  for 16GB plus cellular

Have you tried one? Are they any good? What version of Android do they run? If it's just eWaste then it's not really a savings. iDevices easily last a long time. My iPhone 3G still works fine. My mom uses her 3G every day. It sounds like Tallest still uses an original iPhone. I just don't see those bargain obscure brand products holding up like that.

Quote:
Tell me again why these same people who loves buying cheapo tablets would actually buy a Kotex Minipad, I meant.., Ipad mini? 

Making fun of the product name is so two years ago. If you want people think you're emotionally stable and thus willing to consider your argument, it's best to let things like that go.

Quote:
-The hardware? The same crappy screen with underpowered CPU sans the sd memory slots? I don't think so. 
-The I-tune and Apps advantage? Please..., Android already has tons of apps available.
-The Price? Are you kidding me? 

In many parts of the world with big populations, such as China, India, Indonesia. Apple's marketshare is in low single digit at best. For a company touting the "other markets" such as China for its future growth, it will only mean trouble ahead...

Being in the single digits isn't such a terrible thing. Macs have been single digits, and are still in many places. Cutting your margins and cutting too many corners on quality to make double digits in a budget-conscious market is the way to financial trouble.
Edited by JeffDM - 10/20/12 at 8:24am
post #22 of 106
Originally Posted by acslater017 View Post
Guys, don't feed the troll.

Which one… 

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
post #23 of 106

Good points, thanks!

post #24 of 106
What is this GF Ditto technology that it seems only Mr. Kuo is talking about since August 31?

I haven't found anything on it that wasn't connected to him. Also, a three to five year lead seems a bit much. By then everyone will be using OLED or something else, except maybe for Apple.

An afterthought from left field: In the 3D trade, "GF" stands for "glasses-free," as in autostereoscopic, no-glasses-needed 3D screen technology. So far only Gadmei is making a glasses-free 3D tablet.
Edited by Flaneur - 10/20/12 at 9:19am
post #25 of 106
The iPad Mini is for kids and schools. The new iPod Touch spex may point to the iPad Mini spex and features. The Touch is now a lean and mean and green machine. So Apple has created space for the Touch when the Mini arrives. Best guess for the Mini is that it is stripped down for pricing: Lower screen resolution than the Touch, front side camera only, less memory, no siri, no passbook. But it will have a bigger screen than the Touch and all those 100Ks of apps and will sell for $200-250 to schools. So the Mini for school; the Touch for home. Adults at work can afford a full blown iPad, as sales demonstrate. Also the Mini will be lighter, brighter, thinner, faster and 100X more useful than the Fire or Nook. A $50 dif in price will mean nothing to all but the "anything but Apple" buyers.
post #26 of 106
Quote:

But if they reduce prices, then consumers will have no choice but to buy the products, then Apple will have no choice but to make more money, then technicians will have no choice but to spend this money on new technology then Apple will have no choice but to invent new groundbreaking products... and so we are right back where we started.

post #27 of 106
border="0"> ?
Seriously?
Have you not hear of CSS?
post #28 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stef View Post

The iPad Mini is for kids and schools. The new iPod Touch spex may point to the iPad Mini spex and features. The Touch is now a lean and mean and green machine. So Apple has created space for the Touch when the Mini arrives. Best guess for the Mini is that it is stripped down for pricing: Lower screen resolution than the Touch, front side camera only, less memory, no siri, no passbook. But it will have a bigger screen than the Touch and all those 100Ks of apps and will sell for $200-250 to schools. So the Mini for school; the Touch for home. Adults at work can afford a full blown iPad, as sales demonstrate. Also the Mini will be lighter, brighter, thinner, faster and 100X more useful than the Fire or Nook. A $50 dif in price will mean nothing to all but the "anything but Apple" buyers.

I agree with your general premise but I think it will have the same basic ASIC as the new iPod Touch, including the 512 MB RAM. Note the new Touch uses the A5 that the iPhone 4S had in 2011. To me that sounds perfect for this low-cost tablet from Apple.

Also, the rumoured resolution is 1024x768 with is more pixels than the new Touch even if just by a handful. I think it will have a rear-facing camera because there are cases for this (e.g.: insurance adjusters with company tablets -or- reading barcodes for spot checking retail inventory). For education they can always disable any HW easily and securely.

I also think it will have Siri. There is just too much to gain from having it. That too can be disabled as needed.

Passbook is more interesting. I can see a case for it but I think I can make a better argument against it so I'm going to say it won't be included.

post #29 of 106
This sort of thinking is a mistake in my mind. I suspect we will see Apple redefine the market for this sized device. What Apple will do is to make the competition look cheap.

Beyond that the whole idea that iPads screen is perfect is bogus
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaNorse View Post

post #30 of 106
The KGI analyst's claims that Apple's iPad Mini technology will give it a 3-5 year lead on the competition seems to show a stunning ignorance of technology. When Steve Jobs made such claims, you could chalk it up to spin, but when an analyst makes such claims, you've got to wonder what he's been analyzing.
post #31 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsimpsen View Post
When Steve Jobs made such claims, you could chalk it up to spin, but when an analyst makes such claims, you've got to wonder what he's been analyzing.

Not at all.

When Steve Jobs stood there on stage, presenting the iPhone to the world for the first time ever, and claimed that it was years ahead of the competition, it turned out to be true. 

post #32 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

This sort of thinking is a mistake in my mind. I suspect we will see Apple redefine the market for this sized device. What Apple will do is to make the competition look cheap.

The rumoured iPad mini will have about 40% more screen area as these other tablets. If you do a side-by-side of the Nexus 7 and iPad mini you may easily say that it's worth an extra $50 just for the extra size even without considering the OS, ecosystem, support and other aspects that help make Apple's device so popular.

PS: I finally got my hands on a Kindle Paperwhite. This is the first Kindle eReader that was of any real interest to me. Before the Paperwhite I hated the dark grey text on light grey. My problem with the Paperwhite is that it's so small. It's display are is only 17.29 inches whereas the proposed iPad mini is 29.60 inches square. For me that's a deal breaker even though I finally like the look of an eReader.

post #33 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

16:9 Android tablets don't sell well, hardly anybody wants them, besides a few desperately poor people and a handful of Apple haters. Consumers are flocking to the 4:3 iPad. Your comment is bogus.

post #34 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Apple 
[" url="/t/153588/ipad-mini-to-give-apple-tech-advantage-protect-mobile-device-marketshare#post_2215502"]
16:9 Android tablets don't sell well, hardly anybody wants them, besides a few desperately poor people and a handful of Apple haters. Consumers are flocking to the 4:3 iPad. Your comment is bogus.

I don't understand your hatred for people who are less affluent than you or who don't see the direct value with more expensive CE.

post #35 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnalogJack View Post

But if they reduce prices, then consumers will have no choice but to buy the products, then Apple will have no choice but to make more money, then technicians will have no choice but to spend this money on new technology then Apple will have no choice but to invent new groundbreaking products... and so we are right back where we started.

...there you go!

post #36 of 106
[...] Ipad mini [...] I-tune [...]

I've always wondered why certain types of posters can't seem to ever spell a simple and well known brand name correctly. This isn't just a simple typo but either a blatant attempt to not spell it correctly to prove some pathetic point or a lack of the proper mental facilities to understand the difference which could be the reason their reality of the market is warped to begin with.

post #37 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I don't understand your hatred for people who are less affluent than you or who don't see the direct value with more expensive CE.

I would hardly say that somebody has to be affluent to be able to buy an Apple mobile device. We're not talking about fully blown Mac Pro's here. And I don't consider myself to be rich, far from it.

I just don't like Fandroids, and I don't think very highly of cheap, rip off Android devices.

post #38 of 106
Quote:

I've always wondered why certain types of posters can't seem to ever spell a simple and well known brand name correctly. This isn't just a simple typo but either a blatant attempt to not spell it correctly to prove some pathetic point or a lack of the proper mental facilities to understand the difference which could be the reason their reality of the market is warped to begin with.

It doesn't matter. Let the ants shake their mighty fists in protest.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #39 of 106
No quarter, Apple. Finish him!

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #40 of 106

I think you guys missed the point here.   The person I responded to indicate that the iPads screen is perfect, which or course it isn't.    That is the current iPad.   For many users the iPad is just to damn big, thus the screen (the whole point of a tablet) is not perfect.    

in a nut shell the idea that any screen is perfect is completely bogus.   First, not every screen size is suitable to every application nor to every users needs.   Second, screen technology is evolving rapidly as such it is impossible for any screen to be perfect as they are constantly improving.  

As to the 16:9 Android tablets do you honestly think that the aspect ratio has anything to do with consumer rejection of the devices?   Here is a quick list of reasons to reject Android tablets:

1. Lack of software.
  2. Android is the product of theft.   
  3. Androids general lack of refinement and performance
  4. Poor battery technology
  5. The general lack of support.   In this case the fact that you are often stuck with outdated versions of Android on your device.   
  6. Maleware
  7. The lack of a managed app repository.
  8. No infrastructure.

In the end I see little indication that 16:9 has anything to do with the failure of Android tablets.   In any event I think you guys completely glossed over what was said and missed the whole point; the iPad screen is no more perfect than my big toe.

Look at it this way, there seems to be a very good possibility that Apple will introduce entirely new screen technology on the devices coming next week.   Does that make the screens perfect?   If so then how could the current screens be perfect?   The use of the word perfect in this discussion is bogus and fankly asinine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Quote:

The rumoured iPad mini will have about 40% more screen area as these other tablets. If you do a side-by-side of the Nexus 7 and iPad mini you may easily say that it's worth an extra $50 just for the extra size even without considering the OS, ecosystem, support and other aspects that help make Apple's device so popular.
PS: I finally got my hands on a Kindle Paperwhite. This is the first Kindle eReader that was of any real interest to me. Before the Paperwhite I hated the dark grey text on light grey. My problem with the Paperwhite is that it's so small. It's display are is only 17.29 inches whereas the proposed iPad mini is 29.60 inches square. For me that's a deal breaker even though I finally like the look of an eReader.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › 'iPad mini' to give Apple tech advantage, protect mobile device marketshare