or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › 'iPad mini' event will be streamed live to Apple TV, Mac & iOS devices

'iPad mini' event will be streamed live to Apple TV, Mac & iOS devices

post #1 of 66
Apple has added a new channel to its Apple TV set-top box called "Apple Events" that will live stream the company's media briefing today. In addition, the event will also be streamed to iOS devices and Macs.

Users are invited to tune in at 10 a.m. Pacific, 1 p.m. Eastern to watch the "Apple Special Event" live. The presentation will be held at the California Theatre in San Jose.

In addition to a live stream of the event, Apple TV users can also watch Apple's other presentations, including the iPhone 5 unveiling, the 2012 Worldwide Developers Conference, and the introduction of the third-generation iPad with Retina display. Streaming via Apple TV requires a second- or third-generation model with software 5.0.2 or later.

For those on a Mac, the live stream requires Safari 4 or later on OS X 10.6 or later. On iOS devices, Safari on iOS 4.2 or later is required. The stream will be made available on Apple's website.

Apple TV

Apple has on occasion offered live streams of its events, most recently in September of 2010. However, those events were streamed to Mac and iOS devices, not the Apple TV.

A week ago, Apple sent invitations to members of the press inviting them to see "a little more." The company is expected to introduce a new, smaller iPad with a 7.85-inch display.

Also potentially on tap today are new Macs, most prominently a new 13-inch MacBook Pro with Retina display. The company may also introduce a new version of iBooks, and a revamped version of its iTunes desktop software.

AppleInsider will have full, live coverage of today's event.
post #2 of 66

I noticed that two hours ago, but I didn't bother posting it here because they never give credit round here and just would have posted a separate story.

The new channel is called "Apple Events" btw.

Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
post #3 of 66

While very good, also very unfortunate for those of us at work and away from their Apple TVs at home.

post #4 of 66

Stuck this into two other threads.

I think they really want to "show" us something!

Could it be a TV?   Just kidding.  Maybe.

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

post #5 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Barriault View Post

While very good, also very unfortunate for those of us at work and away from their Apple TVs at home.

...and for those of us for whom the event starts at 1:00 AM!

Where are we on the curve? We'll know once it goes asymptotic!
Where are we on the curve? We'll know once it goes asymptotic!
post #6 of 66
The UK Store is now offline guys!

:-)
post #7 of 66
I'd have to tip that the iPad mini will be available in the same colours as the iPod Touch, and in 16gb and 32gb versions.
post #8 of 66
Oh man thats awesome. And it's great evening timing for me here in Europe. So I'll buy some crisps on my way home from work. And tune in.
post #9 of 66
Awesome! Love my Apple TV.
post #10 of 66
I'll see how the day goes.
post #11 of 66
I hope a live stream app shows up in the App Store. Or better yet a live stream link on apple.com
post #12 of 66
What a great day to be working from home in the afternoon! Will definitely be tuning in!
post #13 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by ieverything View Post

Oh man thats awesome. And it's great evening timing for me here in Europe. So I'll buy some crisps on my way home from work. And tune in.

Yep, definitely one of the bonuses of being a UK Apple fan, all the announcements are at 6pm, so you can watch or read about them live after work.

post #14 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcoleman1 View Post

Awesome! Love my Apple TV.

Me too! Still the best streamer around.

Ok- now that Hulu plus is up- and iPads have amazon instant, hbo go, and show time. Lets bring those three and a music streamer (pandora, spotify, Etc) to the Apple TV to make it the best by a mile!

If they announce apps for the atv (unlikely)- it'll be the best announcement today!

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

post #15 of 66

Nice it will be 7:00pm where I live. I guess I will have to pick up some beer and chips on the way home. 1biggrin.gif

post #16 of 66
Quote:

anyone can confirm that this is available outside the US?

post #17 of 66
I predict my productivity will suffer today.
post #18 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Barriault View Post

It is also available as a stream from the Internet... go to the Apple website.
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -
"He who laughs, lasts!" - Mary Pettibone Poole -
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -
"He who laughs, lasts!" - Mary Pettibone Poole -
post #19 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by ifij775 View Post

It started already. Ah well 3 more hours to go, then get home quickly and have a stop at the nearby shop to get beer and chips and startup my appleTV.

post #20 of 66
'Streamed to iOS devices and Macs...' From where/how? iTunes? Apple website?
post #21 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

'Streamed to iOS devices and Macs...' From where/how? iTunes? Apple website?

There is a new link on the Apple Website so far only on the US localized site.

post #22 of 66

I don't see the need to restrict this for Mac only on the website. That's stupid.

post #23 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by ifij775 View Post

Mine is suffering all day already. That's the disadvantage of living in Europe. You'll keep looking for stuff regarding the event all day on the Internet.

This reminds me to stay focused on my work. Have to go....
post #24 of 66
Quote:

Mine is suffering all day already. That's the disadvantage of living in Europe. You'll keep looking for stuff regarding the event all day on the Internet.

Same here lol

Waiting for 7 PM !!

post #25 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemyNX View Post

I don't see the need to restrict this for Mac only on the website. That's stupid.

you can also look for it in windows if you have quicktime.

post #26 of 66
Gotta be out at that time - driving a friend to an appointment and waiting for her. But ... I have an iPad 3rd gen and there's superfast LTE wireless data in our area. That could chew up a lot of data on my plan though. But - there's a library nearby with free open WiFi ... Also a McDonald's if they offer the bandwidth ...

I admit to being a Fanatical Moderate. I Disdain the Inane. Vyizderzominymororzizazizdenderizorziz?

I admit to being a Fanatical Moderate. I Disdain the Inane. Vyizderzominymororzizazizdenderizorziz?

post #27 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

you can also look for it in windows if you have quicktime.

Sure about this? Because it's not clear at all on their webpage.

I actually won't have any problem to watch it, but this restriction for windows users (if there's actually one) is odd.

post #28 of 66
Dumb question... how do I receive this on my iOS device (iPhone 5)? (Non-WiFi)

Answer: Simply go to Apple's website with your iOS device's Safari browser and click the link on the homepage. duh. Thanks to those that set me straight.
Edited by davidness - 10/23/12 at 7:17am
post #29 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

I noticed that two hours ago, but I didn't bother posting it here because they never give credit round here and just would have posted a separate story.

The new channel is called "Apple Events" btw.

True. It's annoying. Plus one of the two submission features doesn't work. But that's the least of the HTML and scripting problems on this site LOL. I'd just post it in the forums somewhere.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #30 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

Me too! Still the best streamer around.
Ok- now that Hulu plus is up- and iPads have amazon instant, hbo go, and show time. Lets bring those three and a music streamer (pandora, spotify, Etc) to the Apple TV to make it the best by a mile!
If they announce apps for the atv (unlikely)- it'll be the best announcement today!

A couple weeks ago I viewed Captain America via Amazon Instant using the "apps" in my Blu-ray player.  The quality was just OK but it was free so no big deal.  This weekend I rented The Avengers on my Apple TV and man the quality was great!  They sure do their "hobby" better than anyone else.  It was very close to Blu-ray quality.

iPod, iPad, iPad2, iPad 3, iPad Mini, iPhone, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, AppleTV (1,2 & 3), 13" MacBook Pro, 24" Cinema Display, Time Capsule, 21.5" iMac (Mid 2011)

iPod, iPad, iPad2, iPad 3, iPad Mini, iPhone, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, AppleTV (1,2 & 3), 13" MacBook Pro, 24" Cinema Display, Time Capsule, 21.5" iMac (Mid 2011)

post #31 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidness View Post

Dumb question... how do I receive this on my iOS device (iPhone 5)? (Non-WiFi)

Read the article.

http://www.apple.com/apple-events/october-2012/

post #32 of 66

It will also be streamed on their website.

post #33 of 66
Quote:

Agreed. Hence my question!

Add: here's what the Apple website says: "Live streaming video requires Safari 4 or later on Mac OS X v10.6 or later; Safari on iOS 4.2 or later. Streaming via Apple TV requires second- or third-generation Apple TV with software 5.0.2 or later."

post #34 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

Ok- now that Hulu plus is up- and iPads have amazon instant, hbo go, and show time.

Those last two aren't really a thumbs up until you can subscribe directly without a basic cable plan.

Wouldn't hurt for them to up the onboard storage for holding more rentals and more buffer space.
Quote:

They might add more audio/video stuff but it will never likely be a free for all game

Hopefully they will also change up the UI so you don't have to go to computer to find your stuff cause the big obvious buttons go to the stores. Those should be our stuff/links to match and purchases

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

post #35 of 66
Quote:

Last time they did this the traffic overload killed it for many. They might have upped the servers etc on their end but there's also a likely increase in potential users. So while it seems dumb on your end it could be a necessary evil.

post #36 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneaburns View Post

A couple weeks ago I viewed Captain America via Amazon Instant using the "apps" in my Blu-ray player.  The quality was just OK but it was free so no big deal.  This weekend I rented The Avengers on my Apple TV and man the quality was great!  They sure do their "hobby" better than anyone else.  It was very close to Blu-ray quality.

Wait until h.265 comes out. Hopefully they will up the quality rather than use it to keep quality and reduce files (do that with the 720p maybe)

If they can get the studios etc invested in this so we get better quality, pricing, release times etc then this could be great. We also need extras from the DVDs in all films, and they work in iOS, kill this buy in SD can only rent in HD. HD on all titles, fill in missing seasons etc.

post #37 of 66
I'll add my voice to the concept that seems glaring here ... I want to see what I see on Apple TV available on my iPad! I mean as in the exact same screen I see on my Apple TV on my iPad when I run an App (called Apple TV maybe?) so if I am not at home with my Apple TVs I have the same options on my iPad.
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
post #38 of 66
Quote:

You remind me of the days when I travelled from the UK to the States for every Mac World show, Boston and San Francisco. I used to love the free Mac World magazines (actually they were like massive glossy newspapers back then) they gave out and all the pure adrenalin in Silicon Valley. Visiting Apple HQ was like a pilgrimage lol. It always made me feel like I was living in the last century when I came back to the UK regarding keeping up with Apple and technology in general (not talking about any thing else here, well maybe the weather).
post #39 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Agreed. Hence my question!

Add: here's what the Apple website says: "Live streaming video requires Safari 4 or later on Mac OS X v10.6 or later; Safari on iOS 4.2 or later. Streaming via Apple TV requires second- or third-generation Apple TV with software 5.0.2 or later."

Oh I don't know, I can understand not wanting to support anything but the finest delivery platforms 1smoking.gif Besides maybe hundreds of PCers will rush out and buy a Mac or an Apple TV just so they can watch. 1biggrin.gif
post #40 of 66
It's currently 1:46 AM in Australia. Apple Store being updated (in multiple languages).
Will have to see my shiny new iMac in the morning...

http://store.apple.com/au
Shut up and go away, you useless, pathetic FUDmonger - Tallest Skil
Shut up and go away, you useless, pathetic FUDmonger - Tallest Skil
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › 'iPad mini' event will be streamed live to Apple TV, Mac & iOS devices