or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › First new iMacs roll out to customers in Australia

First new iMacs roll out to customers in Australia - Page 2

post #41 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexN View Post

I popped into the Apple Store near me in the Sydney suburbs this arvo (ca. 3:45) and there weren't no new iMacs!
I asked one of the staff where they where and she said that they were out the back, having been delivered this morning; and that they would be unpacking them for display this evening. I could still buy one if I wanted, though. She also said no date yet on the 27".
If it gets too hot here tomorrow I might go in and have a look, where it's also nice and cool (we don't have a/c).

Yup. AppleFail. Perth official Apple Store no display models but they are selling it, one guy was setting up his new 21".

The 21" is absolutely beautiful and a tribute to the genius and remarkable qualities of Steve Job's Apple and his team.

On the 21" the "chin" is a bit too large though, seems disproportionate.

All in all, I reiterate that this roll out is far, far below Apple standards. This kind of stuff requires their usual black curtains the night before and proper roll-out.

This is haphazard and sloppy, the disturbing thing is that it has been happening way too often lately.

Steve Jobs said "Focus is not about saying 'Yes'. Focus is about saying 'No'".

They should have done a moderate iMac refresh and be ready for the new iMac when the time was right.

This is not a good sign for Apple overall. They're acting like they have a limited pipeline of awesome stuff because Steve isn't around anymore.

That said, I love my first-world-problems lifestyle now. The first country in the world to get the new iMac, and it's in my city, and I'm still bitching about it! Ha Ha... I love it!
Edited by sr2012 - 11/30/12 at 12:56am
post #42 of 65
Looks as though the Fusion drive in the 27" has a 7200 RPM HDD component, according to the purchase page. Perhaps Apple will cough up the 27" earlier than expected, as someone on the AI forums suggested; page says "ships in 2-3 weeks".
post #43 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by sr2012 View Post

Apple is going downhill. These past 6 months have been the worst launch of products in Apple's history.

Not exactly what the rest of the world thinks about their products released lately, but then again, that world might be smaller.
Quote:
Welcome to pre-Steve-Jobs.

Post, you mean.
Quote:
If an Apple Authorised Reseller did this kind of stuff a few years ago we'd be crucified by Apple HQ.

Now Apple itself is like this.

It won't last long, at this rate Apple is going.

In your case, the sooner the better. For us too, actually.
How to enter the Apple logo  on iOS:
/Settings/Keyboard/Shortcut and paste in  which you copied from an email draft or a note. Screendump
/Settings/Keyboard/Shortcut and paste in  which you copied from an email draft or a note. Screendump
post #44 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Not exactly what the rest of the world thinks about their products released lately, but then again, that world might be smaller.
Post, you mean.
In your case, the sooner the better. For us too, actually.

We have a taker! Yes, I meant pre-Steve-Jobs Apple. When things were, not that great for Apple. Apple has made a slight shift back to those days.

Look, I know I will rub people the wrong way but I've always been incendiary on these forums. You know, when debating, you don't take the side of "I think I am on this side somewhat". An alternative viewpoint is important, even if it is highly grating.

I'm just alerting people to the shift in what's happening, and I'm not the only one noticing.

The thing is yes, 2012-2013 will still see some great products, because they are the final products Steve had a close involvement with.

But in terms of staff management, product line management, iOS, launches (paper and real), retail store management... These things have taken a slight detour from the usual spit and polish we have all come to expect from Apple, which used to give us great joy and comfort... But now we know how hard it is to do something so simple and beautiful.

You also gotta be aware that Android is now hitting its stride in the 4" to 7" space, particularly with 4.1 and 4.2. We're seeing smooth performance, decent apps, very interesting gaming opportunities, and much more. This places important constraints on Apple's operations and narrows the margin of error, especially since we might not see any "one more thing" out of Apple besides perhaps the AppleTV... I mean we had iPod, iPhone and iPad in the space of just 10 years. Can Apple do the same in 2012-2022? Maybe, maybe not.
post #45 of 65
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post
Post, you mean.

Since Steve came back, I guess he really means twixt.

Young Steve

Twixt Steve

Old Steve

Post Steve

Past Steve

We're not to the 5th stage yet, but it's very valid.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

post #46 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by hentaiboy View Post

Live on OZ Apple Store now. YAY!
$240 for extra 8GB RAM. BOO!

Yeah, that's a bit much, especially given how it's impractical to upgrade these machines. (edit: 21" models)
Edited by JeffDM - 11/30/12 at 1:42pm
post #47 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Yeah, that's a bit much, especially given how it's impractical to upgrade these machines.

The 27" iMac looks to be easy to add more RAM.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #48 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

The 27" iMac looks to be easy to add more RAM.

Yeah, I meant the 21" model.

I wonder how much of a deal it is though, maybe the assumption is buyers of the basic model probably aren't going to push the limits of the machine as much.
post #49 of 65
Quote:

Yeah, I meant the 21" model.

What is also nice about the 27" model is that if you do get one with 16GB RAM it comes as 2x8GB sticks with 2 slot still free; not 4x4GB sticks.

post #50 of 65
Quote:

What is also nice about the 27" model is that if you do get one with 16GB RAM it comes as 2x8GB sticks with 2 slot still free; not 4x4GB sticks.

I suppose, but for the cost of Apple's 16GB memory, which really only adds an additional 8GB on top of the base model, you can buy 32GB outright of a reputable brand of memory supplier.
post #51 of 65
Quote:

I suppose, but for the cost of Apple's 16GB memory, which really only adds an additional 8GB on top of the base model, you can buy 32GB outright of a reputable brand of memory supplier.

I have yet to see any RAM that that equal to what Apple uses. The closest I've seen is 4x8GB DDR3 1333MHz PC3 10600 RAM on Newegg for $150. Granted, for that price it's worth the hit in performance but it's still a hit in performance and any issues you may have with the RAM will require you to ship back the RAM at your expense and wait for however long it takes to replace it.

post #52 of 65
Quote:

I have yet to see any RAM that that equal to what Apple uses. The closest I've seen is 4x8GB DDR3 1333MHz PC3 10600 RAM on Newegg for $150. Granted, for that price it's worth the hit in performance but it's still a hit in performance and any issues you may have with the RAM will require you to ship back the RAM at your expense and wait for however long it takes to replace it.

Newegg has DDR3 1600MHz memory SODIMMs for about that price.

I don't remember ever getting a bad memory module. They happen, but sticking to a reputable brand is a good start.

There's several brands here, pick a reputable one, get four modules, and you're probably set:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007609%20600006178%20600000410%20600213066&IsNodeId=1&name=8GB
Edited by JeffDM - 11/30/12 at 9:08pm
post #53 of 65
Quote:

Newegg has DDR3 1600MHz memory SODIMMs for about that price.
I don't remember ever getting a bad memory module. They happen, but sticking to a reputable brand is a good start.
There's several brands here, pick a reputable one, get four modules, and you're probably set:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007609%20600006178%20600000410%20600213066&IsNodeId=1&name=8GB

Yep. Just about to post that. I made the mistake of only looking under Mac Memory whilst at the Apple Store. Their most expensive is KIngston HyperX for a 16GB (2x8GB) kit. Still half the price that Apple charges for 32GB. It has the lowest latency but I'm not sure what advantage it would have besides that.

As for bad RAM, I've dealt with plenty across many vendors. A vendor can have stricter testing but it's still a mass produced piece. The real benefit with going with Apple is that it's covered by your Mac's warranty and so there is no additional cost, something I've found to be a huge hassle with other vendors where I need to dig up and print/copy receipts, fill out forms after searching for the right ones online, talk to their tech support, mailing back the bad component on my dime, and then waiting for a response.

Segue... speaking of warranties, if you buy Apple's in-ear headphones and have an iDevice (maybe a Mac, too) under warranty they will cover the headphones under that warranty.

post #54 of 65
Quote:

Yep. Just about to post that. I made the mistake of only looking under Mac Memory whilst at the Apple Store. Their most expensive is KIngston HyperX for a 16GB (2x8GB) kit. Still half the price that Apple charges for 32GB. It has the lowest latency but I'm not sure what advantage it would have besides that.
As for bad RAM, I've dealt with plenty across many vendors. A vendor can have stricter testing but it's still a mass produced piece. The real benefit with going with Apple is that it's covered by your Mac's warranty and so there is no additional cost, something I've found to be a huge hassle with other vendors where I need to dig up and print/copy receipts, fill out forms after searching for the right ones online, talk to their tech support, mailing back the bad component on my dime, and then waiting for a response.
Segue... speaking of warranties, if you buy Apple's in-ear headphones and have an iDevice (maybe a Mac, too) under warranty they will cover the headphones under that warranty.

Kingston Apple is my first bet for non-Apple RAM. That said, to be safe I would always go with something from an Apple Store. Makes everything easy.
post #55 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by sr2012 View Post

Kingston Apple is my first bet for non-Apple RAM. That said, to be safe I would always go with something from an Apple Store. Makes everything easy.

1) It's double what others are charging but I'll likely go with the Kingston RAM they show. The only reason the reviews aren't at 5 stars was because they removed the heat spreaders that were shown in earlier images.

2) I'll never understand why people will take the price of an upsell from an vendor and then compare it to the absolute lowest price on a site like Newegg. Newegg sells components. Apple sells the installation, adds the warranty, and likely isn't using the lowest grade component manufacturer that a company like Newegg buys components from. I want the 9 CAS Latency and a vendor I have had a good experience with so I will pay the $300 for 4x8GB RAM instead of paying $115 for the 11 CAS Latency from ADATA Premier Series, a vendor I've never heard of. I don't think Apple charging double what Kingston RAM would cost for uninstalled RAM is an unwieldy at all.

post #56 of 65
OWC has found a clever means showing how to remove the screen without a heat gun: a guitar pick.

I'll see if they mention anywhere if the adhesive is still good or if the tape needs to be replaced.

http://blog.macsales.com/15932-what-does-it-take-to-upgrade-a-2012-imac-21-5
post #57 of 65
Quote:

OK. The only warranty replacements I've needed on add-on computer parts are hard drives, and they just went based on the manufacture date, they were replaced without hassle. I did have to bring in a Mac Pro to the Apple Store so they'd replace their graphics card, I was without the computer for about a week.

Have you had any experience with OWC (MacSales)? They don't offer a kit for the new iMacs yet, but I understand their service is very good. I think I bought my last three upgrade kits from them.
Edited by JeffDM - 12/1/12 at 8:56am
post #58 of 65
Quote:

1) It's double what others are charging but I'll likely go with the Kingston RAM they show. The only reason the reviews aren't at 5 stars was because they removed the heat spreaders that were shown in earlier images.
2) I'll never understand why people will take the price of an upsell from an vendor and then compare it to the absolute lowest price on a site like Newegg. Newegg sells components. Apple sells the installation, adds the warranty, and likely isn't using the lowest grade component manufacturer that a company like Newegg buys components from. I want the 9 CAS Latency and a vendor I have had a good experience with so I will pay the $300 for 4x8GB RAM instead of paying $115 for the 11 CAS Latency from ADATA Premier Series, a vendor I've never heard of. I don't think Apple charging double what Kingston RAM would cost for uninstalled RAM is an unwieldy at all.

Agreed.
post #59 of 65
Quote:

Have you had any experience with OWC (MacSales)? They don't offer a kit for the new iMacs yet, but I understand their service is very good. I think I bought my last three upgrade kits from them.

Not for awhile. I've been using Newegg for most of my 3rd-party components.

I thought I saw 3 RAM kits on OWC for the new iMacs, but all with CAS 11.

post #60 of 65
Quote:

Not for awhile. I've been using Newegg for most of my 3rd-party components.
I thought I saw 3 RAM kits on OWC for the new iMacs, but all with CAS 11.

Yeah, I saw that. That was disappointing.
post #61 of 65
Newegg's CAS 9 RAM for the latest iMacs (Kingston HyperX for a 16GB (2x8GB) kit) have dropped from $150 to $130.

post #62 of 65
Quote:

Newegg's CAS 9 RAM for the latest iMacs (Kingston HyperX for a 16GB (2x8GB) kit) have dropped from $150 to $130.

You probably didn't know theil geil means horney in Dutch ¡

Thanks for the link nonetheless; I'm sure quite few readers will be happy with this price drop. Carry on.
post #63 of 65
Quote:

Nice.

Have you seen any tests showing the degree of computer performance difference between CAS 9 and 11?
post #64 of 65
Quote:

Nice.

Have you seen any tests showing the degree of computer performance difference between CAS 9 and 11?

None!

If anyone wants to ship me their 2x4GB CAS 11 RAM that comes with their new iMac I'll do a 4x4GB test on my machine. Or, I'll send you my 2x4GB CAS 11 RAM providing you will do throughout testing. You can keep my RAM afterwards (not a hoarder!).

Note: This offer is predicated on the 27" iMacs getting CAS 11 RAM like in the 21.5" iMacs. While this seems highly likely to me it's not guaranteed.

post #65 of 65
Today Newegg is listing a second Kingston HyperX 2x8GB DDR3 1600 kit with CAS 9. However, this new is $175 dropped to $160. There are no reviews. The name and model number is slightly different from the other Kingston HyperX kit. I can't see how they are different.

edit: Wrong hyperlink:

Edited by SolipsismX - 1/25/13 at 10:59am

Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › First new iMacs roll out to customers in Australia