or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Samsung Galaxy S3 Sudden Death Syndrome

Samsung Galaxy S3 Sudden Death Syndrome

post #1 of 47

Have you guys heard of this? I was considering to buy an S3 (so many people here just badmouth anything that has no "i" in front of its name, I didnt want to be one of them) to see how this thing really performs. I have tried it out on a few occasions... and it just blew my iPhone away. I had a hard time to keep a straight face when my friend wanted his S3 back haha..

BUT now I heard about this Sudden Death! My friend was laughing at me, for paying twice what he did, to evenutally get less functionality...  but who is laughing now?

Apparently S3s are dying left and right! Nobody knows why... the only thing you can do is just to bring it back and have it exchanged. Which of course is no problem, while you still have guarantee on your phone, but what if 1 year already has passed? How functional is your dead S3 then???

So maybe some people here ARE right: Yes, you pay twice the price, no, it won't do all the things Android phones have been doing for a while now... BUT GUESS WHAT: It won't just die on!

http://www.samsungupdate.com/tag/galaxy-s3-sudden-crash

Quote:

There has been a common issues with many Galaxy S3 devices around the world that has started to bother a lot of people. The problems is this: Galaxy S3 is suddenly dies and doesn’t turn on again until you take it to be repaired.

All around the world people are bringing their devices in service because they will not turn on again. This problem has been named a “sudden death” for Galaxy S3. It’s like the phone is “committing suicide” out of nowhere. The issue with this problem is the fact that it doesn’t have a common pattern. The Galaxy S3 dies after charging, during charging over night, after turning the screen off it will not turn on again. As far as I can see it is a pretty scary problem.

The most common situation with the Galaxy S3 dying is when charging the phone over night. When you try to turn on the screen, it will not respond. You will not be able to turn on the phone with the power button. Pulling the battery off and on again also doesn’t help. It seems that the only resolution for this problem is to take your phone to be repaired in a specialized store.

The good this is that Samsung is responding well to this issue, meaning that they repair all the phones that are brought to them with this problem, or more likely they will give you a new one.

There is no official statement regarding this issue, but seeing how more and more Galaxy S3 owners are complaining about this, we can conclude that there are some real hardware issues with the Galaxy S3.

post #2 of 47
Originally Posted by Nathillien View Post
If they give you a new phone in the unlikely event of a "sudden death" - then you don't have anything to loose.

Guess you missed that it's only under warranty:

Which of course is no problem, while you still have guarantee on your phone, but what if 1 year already has passed? How functional is your dead S3 then???

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
post #3 of 47

is it possible to recover all yr datas..ie yr photos ,videos etc? if this sudden death syndrome occurs? is it a software or hardware problem?

post #4 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by aspenx View Post

is it possible to recover all yr datas..ie yr photos ,videos etc? if this sudden death syndrome occurs? is it a software or hardware problem?
Sure it is. You back up your phone, right?
post #5 of 47

Buy a shiny imitation Mercedes and then wonder why it won't start? Nah!

You will see him on TV any given Sunday

Win the Superbowl and drive off in a Hyundai

If two people always agree, then one of them is redundant.
If two people always agree, then one of them is redundant.
post #6 of 47

Two of my friends using Galaxy S3 had reported the same issue. 

post #7 of 47

I just brought my Samsung S3 to a service center and was told that my memory will not be restored once they replace the motherboard. I had the same problem - woke up to my phone completely dead after leaving it charging overnight. 

Does the S3 indirectly back up your phone memory? I don't think i backed up my memory (whether it's an internal app or 3rd party). 

Any insights here?

post #8 of 47

hi im so glad ive foumd this site as this happened to ,my s3 last night. i was worried that i did something to it at first but has been working fab for the 5 months ive had it.

the man in the 3 store said hes never heard of this but i guard my phone with my life and its not been dropped or water damamged!!!! im hoping to hear back from repairs tommorrow. i hope it resolves the problem!!!!!

post #9 of 47
As of today my s3 started shutting down and now won't restart. I had used almost all the memory and wonder if that caused the problem. Power user for business.....amazing phone except for this....

Now I wonder if should take to service center or reset on my own?
post #10 of 47

after read the article, i checked my phone (which is put away since i bought iphone 5) and got the same issue, phone not booting up no matter what i tried.

I came to samsung store in sydney yesterday. tell them about the issue. They said because my phone is have a crack on the screen, they have to charge me from 200-300$ WTF?? i told them im not here to fix the screen, my phone is dead, just help me turn it on but they still refuse and ask to charge me money if i wan to repair.

I said to them this is bullshit, this phone is bullshit and throw it on the floor. Walk out.

post #11 of 47

Is the same person setting up multiple accounts to post the same thing? Similar problems with capitalization, spelling, sentence structure. I swear if they're not the same person they must all have gone to the same school.

See leanelz7 / vegetto / justnewlistings / aspenx

Strange...

Edited by Gatorguy - 12/22/12 at 7:16pm
melior diabolus quem scies
post #12 of 47
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post
Is the same person setting up numerous accounts to post the same thing? Similar problems with capitalization, spelling, sentence structure. I swear if they're not the same person they must all have gone to the same school.

Four different IPs, four different countries, four different user agents. Either he gets around, or… lol.gif

Perhaps hwjunkie has simply advertised this thread somewhere else.

post #13 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Four different IPs, four different countries, four different user agents. Either he gets around, or… lol.gif

Thank you sir. Just happenstance then five out of the six "unique" posters that said it happened to them have never met a capital letter they liked, nor have access to a spell-checker. One of the stranger occurances I've come across.

post #14 of 47
The top post does read somewhat like a spammed infomercial. Maybe it's me being more sensitized due to a recent conversation.

Also yes, you need to back up your phone on occasion. Even if it never dies, you might lose your phone, or it might get damaged.
post #15 of 47
Advertised? I would call it a bit different.

So lemme guess, there is actualy NO "sudd*en de*ath" sindrome with S3. At least not in such an extent as some at AI trying to pull off.
- The * are there on purpose guess why. 1oyvey.gif

jones04 is especially funny in this regard:
"two of his friends..."  wow "statistically he should have something like 50K to 100K friends depending on where on Earth he lives. LOL

Pro-Samsung PR Mop-Up Brigade, Activate!

post #16 of 47
Quote:

Quote:

Advertised? I would call it a bit different.
So lemme guess, there is actualy NO "sudd*en de*ath" sindrome with S3. At least not in such an extent as some at AI trying to pull off.
- The * are there on purpose guess why. 1oyvey.gif

jones04 is especially funny in this regard:
"two of his friends..."  wow "statistically he should have something like 50K to 100K friends depending on where on Earth he lives. LOL

There are a lot of discussions of this problem on the Android forums - mostly outside the US, so it does appear to be a real problem with at least one version of the phone. The OP did look like spam though.

post #17 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetry View Post

There are a lot of discussions of this problem on the Android forums - mostly outside the US, so it does appear to be a real problem with at least one version of the phone. The OP did look like spam though.

I seen some complaints also while looking to see if it was a legit problem for at least some users. I didn't pay attention where those affected were tho.

post #18 of 47
Quote:

Yes, im not free enough to make clone. To me, this phone is just a piece of crap, bought $450 as brand new on Ebay and they want to charge me for $300 to fix??

I crush the phone to the ground in front of them, point at samsung store and yell "bullshit" **** samsung lol. I

post #19 of 47
I am legit. Look at my post count. I have three friends I'm aware of who have the S3. It's very very popular here. Everybody else has an iPhone 4 or 4s. I'm the only one with an iPhone 5.

But of my three friends with an S3, two of them have had this problem and other problems. They also have had Samsung refusing to give service for whatever reason they can come up with. It really does seem that Samsung is providing crappy phones with crappy service. Buyer beware.
post #20 of 47

Sounds familiar?
Was that you vegetto? Or did you just borrow the story?

No one on Earth has the ability to type the same thing twice in two places, much less use a copy/paste function.

Anyways, I still thing this "sudden death" is a non issue…

The phone turns itself into a brick and it's a non-issue? Hilarious Android logic.

…it can happen of course but in much smaller amounts than AI crowd hopes for.

Now that you've said it yourself, you'd better have some perspective on the things that happen here that we actually care about.

post #21 of 47
Non-issue regarding the recurrence (sorry I didn't draw it for you because I wrongly assumed you knew what I was talking about) which is LOW.

Oh, so if it only happens to a very small proportion of the total number sold, then it doesn't really matter?

Maybe try applying that logic to "Antennagate", hmm. Of course there it was both a very small proportion (who do matter) AND an actual nonexistent issue, caused by external stimuli.

post #22 of 47

Oh crap it just happened to me.

post #23 of 47
Quote:

Non-issue regarding the recurrence (sorry I didn't draw it for you because I wrongly assumed you knew what I was talking about) which is LOW.

It's happening to some people, so it is a big deal! Because Samsung is pulling itself on the same (or even higher) level as Apple. So they should really have the same built quality of an Apple product. Luckily Samsung isn't Apple so not many people care, if this sudden death syndrome would have happen to the iphone the media would be all over it.

But as for the self display of Samsung ("the next best thing is already here" and stuff) they really should help the owner's of the dead phone. So they can get at least props for the easy, user friendly way they handle this issue.

post #24 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by changeover View Post

It's happening to some people, so it is a big deal! Because Samsung is pulling itself on the same (or even higher) level as Apple. So they should really have the same built quality of an Apple product. Luckily Samsung isn't Apple so not many people care, if this sudden death syndrome would have happen to the iphone the media would be all over it.

But as for the self display of Samsung ("the next best thing is already here" and stuff) they really should help the owner's of the dead phone. So they can get at least props for the easy, user friendly way they handle this issue.

Samsung has acknowledged it as a potential issue for some number of S3 owners, along with (reportedly) rolling out a fix.

http://www.sammobile.com/2013/01/03/galaxy-s-iiis-latest-software-update-fixes-exynos-security-exploit-sudden-death-issue-too/

post #25 of 47
HTC produces higher quality products, if you want an Android device, HTC is the way to go. Samsung has always had quality issues, the Nexus 10 is a dud too. Doesn't surprise me to see issues with the S3.

HTC has always been the first to add Android features (usually before Google does), has the nicest software, and has always had the nicest hardware. They just have poor marketing and hype...
post #26 of 47

Got 4 S3s at Thanksgiving. For all this time, one "passed out" once. ALL I HAD TO DO IS REBOOT! Nothing lost. For every feature, it kicks the butt of any I5!

Writing comments to scare the competition away can only work for followers. Tech savvy people eventually find out. Rode the university bus & looked around. What were most students using - GALAXY S3s! 

post #27 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by ob1ia View Post

Got 4 S3s at Thanksgiving. For all this time, one "passed out" once. ALL I HAD TO DO IS REBOOT! Nothing lost. For every feature, it kicks the butt of any I5!

Writing comments to scare the competition away can only work for followers. Tech savvy people eventually find out. Rode the university bus & looked around. What were most students using - GALAXY S3s! 

Remove battery, put it back, then power on! That's all. 

Maybe when S3 is left charging overnight even if it's fully charged, it may shutdown so needs rebooting.

post #28 of 47

Same issue

I went down to the living room and when i went up back into my room , my s3 won't start up again. Any idea what can i do? 

post #29 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by RBJC View Post

I went down to the living room and when i went up back into my room , my s3 won't start up again. Any idea what can i do? 

Go to your local apple store and buy an iPhone.

post #30 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by ob1ia View Post

If only Samsung knew what you know, they wouldn't have had to go to all the trouble of making a firmware update:

http://thenextweb.com/gadgets/2013/01/02/samsung-reportedly-planning-firmware-update-to-address-suddenly-dying-galaxy-s-iii-devices/

Have you tried contacting Samsung to let them know they aren't tech savvy enough and you could revolutionise their whole operation?
post #31 of 47
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post
Have you tried contacting Samsung to let them know they aren't tech savvy enough and you could revolutionise their whole operation?

Now wait a minute, this is Samsung we're talking about.

He might not be wrong. lol.gif

post #32 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by RBJC View Post

Yeah, tell the guy who posted above you that he's full of shit and for most people with the SDS, taking out the battery and restarting doesn't do anything at all.
post #33 of 47
Thank you so much for posting this! I love m S3 but the night before last, my phone barely charged. I went to bed and it was at 35% and woke up with it at 38%. And this morning I unplugged a fully charged S3 and it immediately went down to 69% charge. Very disappointing..
post #34 of 47

English of the above: 

Originally Posted by nataliemartsia View Post
Hello everyone
Holidays in the doorway and I want to indulge in some family cool gadget. My family is addicted to all this nonsense J So I thought about all sorts of things: streamer innovative massage robot, or something like one of the smartphone Samsung Galaxy Z series. Anyone happen to know something good ride? How much is a good media can put it as a built-in? My car a few years old so I do hope it will be possible to implement the system.

Thanks in advance

At least, what a translation software says. So… 

הלו!

ברוכים הבאים לAppleInsider. אנחנו אתר דובר אנגלית. אתה בטח יש כמה בעיות אם אתה לא יכול להקליד באנגלית אפילו פשוט; מצטער!

Hopefully that isn't… completely offensive. Oh, for heaven's sake, it's left to right… THAT'S probably offensive. And I can't get it to switch back…

Edited by Tallest Skil - 2/18/13 at 9:03am

post #35 of 47
http://negosentro.com/index.php/negosentro-blogs/why-apple-legend-guy-kawasaki-switched-to-android

Intesting... I'm an apple user with my iPad 2 but am fast tiring of apples strangle hold on their users devices and not allowing basic functionality like wifi hotspot, USB tethering or drag and drop functionality once USB tethered... And a number of other frustrating limitations that apple imposes but android does natively and very intuitively.

Just saying....
Edited by Trk123 - 2/20/13 at 12:22pm
post #36 of 47
Originally Posted by Trk123 View Post
…not allowing basic functionality like wifi hotspot…

They do.

…USB tethering or drag and drop functionality once USB tethered…

Not up to them.

post #37 of 47
They don't allow wifi hotspot on iPad2 ...you have to jailbreak the device and load cydia and then pay for Mifi and only then can u set up a wifi hotspot. (As per the reputable agent I bought my device through and due to my disbelief in that answer I also googled it extensively and came to the same conclusion), you can also not USB tether it and use it as a modem as u can with Android devices natively.

I don't understand how making your device with USB utilities for drag and drop functionality for files can not be up to Apple... That doesn't sound right?
Anyway they just remove things like street view from google maps and have tightened their grip...and again Siri doesn't work on the new update again the grip gets tighter...

Also not cool if u buy the device outside of the US and a forced to use fake address etc to get access to US App Store (because our local App Store is EXTREMELY poorly populated) and then can't buy any apps unless u buy the more expensive vouchers online first...

I know many people just say oh we'll just jailbreak it, or just use the fake address...but why must I be forced to use what feels like illegal means (and possibly "bricking" your device) to get decent usage from this thing. Not saying it Is illegal to do all that (I havnt checked the legal ramifications) but it still feels like it to me and so feels very restrictive.
I'm not anti apple as the device is sturdy and well made...just extremely restrictive in functionality.

No company is perfect and so it follows that apple can learn a thing or 2 from android like Samsung and vice versa... I just find that apple has a bit more learning to do in the functionality of their devices.

My 2cents 😜
Edited by Trk123 - 2/20/13 at 12:29pm
post #38 of 47
They don't allow wifi hotspot on iPad2 ...you have to jailbreak the device and load cydia and then pay for Mifi and only then can u set up a wifi hotspot.

Ah, you're right. That's not up to Apple, though. 

I don't understand how making your device with USB utilities for drag and drop functionality for files can not be up to Apple... That doesn't sound right?

Oh, I thought your primary concern was the hard-line tethering. Yeah, they don't let you drag and drop files on purpose. There's no reason to be doing it.

Anyway they just remove things like street view from google maps and have tightened their grip...and again Siri doesn't work on the new update again the grip gets tighter...

Stop lying.

Also not cool if u buy the device outside of the US and a forced to use fake address etc to get access to US App Store (because our local App Store is EXTREMELY poorly populated) and then can't buy any apps unless u buy the more expensive vouchers online first...

This lie is on you, and there's also nothing Apple can do about THIS, either.

I know many people just say oh we'll just jailbreak it, or just use the fake address...but why must I be forced to use what feels like illegal means (and possibly "bricking" your device) to get decent usage from this thing.

Uh, because you're in no way "forced" to do this and are breaking the law of your own accord? Because your definition of "decent" is not reasonable?

I'm not anti apple…

Uh… huh… 

I just find that apple has a bit more learning to do in the functionality of their devices.

My 2cents 😜

Two Yen cents.

post #39 of 47
And you are a moderator? Attacking a persons integrity without even knowing them? Nice.
I am no liar and I take umbrage at the accusation. What a sad thing these days not being able to post your experiences and opinion without being called a liar.
post #40 of 47
Attacking a persons integrity without even knowing them?

Hardly. I'm attacking the points about which you're lying.

I am no liar…

Then don't lie about things! My stars. 

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Samsung Galaxy S3 Sudden Death Syndrome