or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › John Sculley says Apple needs cheap iPhone for emerging smartphone markets

John Sculley says Apple needs cheap iPhone for emerging smartphone markets - Page 4

post #121 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

The sheer UNITY of response here is absolutely tremendous. What a way to start a day. 

The iPhone 4 on PAYG is only about $200, last I saw.

yea but thats in the states... Here in Finland /europe it costs 399euros. Talking About cheap phones are we? You can still get a decent android phone for 200 Eur... (not talking about the utter crap ones)
post #122 of 131
Originally Posted by habi View Post
yea but thats in the states...

I was talking about O2, but…

Are there any carriers in the US that even have the iPhone on PAYG?

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already f*ed.

post #123 of 131

Reeallly?

post #124 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Are there any carriers in the US that even have the iPhone on PAYG?

Straight Talk supports the iPhone on PAYG.

They even sell the iPhone on a time payment plan  through Walmart if you use the Walmart credit card or something like that.

Btw, I've read reviews that the "unlimited" really isn't, of course.   Probably a 2GB soft cap before you get harassed.  Still, not a bad deal.  Uses the AT&T network.

post #125 of 131
Originally Posted by KDarling View Post
Straight Talk supports the iPhone on PAYG. Btw, I've read reviews that the "unlimited" really isn't, of course.   Probably a 2GB soft cap before you get harassed. 

Right, right, right; forgot about that. And yep, that's the cap.

post #126 of 131
Do the opposite of what Sculley says.

Make a 5", 1080p Newton successor. Go even more upmarket.
post #127 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Technarchy View Post

Do the opposite of what Sculley says.

Make a 5", 1080p Newton successor. Go even more upmarket.

... and call it the iPhone "Math" 1biggrin.gif

post #128 of 131

It seems that Sculley feels he has finally developed an Apple related business acumen, personally I feel once again he is getting involved in a vision in which he does not understand. You simply either believe in Apples ecosystem and direction or you do not, it cannot be compared with other platforms.

A few posts comment on how they are surprised at Samsungs penetration of the European market with the Galaxy range of products, I actually work in the channel and the Galaxy range moves at amazing volumes with little support from the manufacturer. While the products are of higher quality than we have seen in the past I feel they are still lacking in comparison to Apple products which I see as intentional as they have established their market after earlier generations which had the appearance of certain products we all know and love! they can now move in their own direction with regards to design.

What I find amazing is that people seem to like using Android! it is the least user friendly OS I have ever used on a device, downloading childrens game Apps usually results in a virus, a product you were not expecting such as a completely different game or the apps are of low quality. Maybe developers take more care in the design of their apps for IOS than other platforms coupled with Apples usually stringent approval processes users rarely have any troubles.

When asking friends and colleagues why they choose Android based devices over IOS the general consensus is not with regards to cost in most cases but is to do with the 'open' nature of the platform over IOS. Mac sales in the UK are much smaller % wise than in the US which I feel hinders peoples understanding of how great a home/small office can be when using apple products in an ecosystem, many people only use IOS which is a massive part of apples business but is only part of the story. I wonder if keeping IOS as a premium product and maybe consider making concessions on price/design in the imac arena would allow a greater growth opportunity in the iphone arena, this allows for macbooks to stay at a premium but would assist growth in the declining desktop market. My new 21.5" imac is amazing to look at and is a clear design revelation however specification wise is very run of the mill considering the cost, ofcourse being a true apple user I pay the price but many will not so maybe it is time for Apple to see the product out in a slightly different way?

discuss...........................

post #129 of 131
Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post
Steve Jobs had this crazy vision that people were going to pay retail for the next ten years when it came to the iPhone.

[citation needed]

People aren't elite because they use an iPhone.

No one is even remotely claiming that.

You are one of the worst trolls on this forum.

Irony.

post #130 of 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnePartyState View Post

My new 21.5" imac is amazing to look at and is a clear design revelation however specification wise is very run of the mill considering the cost, ofcourse being a true apple user I pay the price but many will not so maybe it is time for Apple to see the product out in a slightly different way?

Well i think the older 24" model was superb sizewize. I cant understand that apple is still building that 21,5" model?!? Wtf is that about??? Is probably only for istitutional purchasers or what? Why not only make a new 24" and the 27"...
post #131 of 131

Certainly panel costs come into the thought process for using 21.5" but I find it suitable for my needs, I just think the pricing needs to be looked at moving forward. I think they could pick up alot of new customers if the could offer a £700 decent specification with a more standardised chassis design which would allow for higher sales of other apple products were the higher margins apple work to can be made?

Maybe a different approach might work.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › John Sculley says Apple needs cheap iPhone for emerging smartphone markets