or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Google CEO digs into rival tech companies, says industry needs more innovation

Google CEO digs into rival tech companies, says industry needs more innovation - Page 5

post #161 of 191

Apparently Google wants an invite into Apple's secret R&D lab to see what they're dreaming up, so they can steal it!

Larry, what makes you think Apple doesn't have a bunch of "crazy" stuff that you can't even think of in their R&D shop???

post #162 of 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonard View Post

Apparently Google wants an invite into Apple's secret R&D lab to see what they're dreaming up, so they can steal it!

Larry, what makes you think Apple doesn't have a bunch of "crazy" stuff that you can't even think of in their R&D shop???

I'm pretty sure I read that Apple engineers were invited into Google Labs "back in the day" when Steve and Larry were still good buddies.

melior diabolus quem scies
post #163 of 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricTheHalfBee View Post

Oh look who's back! Tell you what, when you go back and answer questions I posted in previous threads then I'll spend the time to explain it to you. Otherwise you're a troll not worth spending the time on.

1. You claimed to be an expert on multitouch with "decades" of experience. I called you on it since I started developing with touch screens in 1985. You never replied and left the thread. Several people including myself were wondering where you went.

2. You claimed to work for a Fortune 20 company and worked on the deployment of "thousands" of Android tablets, yet never bothered to explain why or what specific software was being developed for them that made Android the better choice. Again, you left the thread.

You are the typical troll. Say something and disappear. So when you clean up the loose ends then maybe I'll spend some time explaining it to you.

Let us not forget,

3. The "browser engine" he created with his bare hands.

post #164 of 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonard View Post

Apparently Google wants an invite into Apple's secret R
I'm pretty sure I read that Apple engineers were invited into Google Labs "back in the day" when Steve and Larry were still good buddies.

Back when all they had was bouncy balls and big ideas. At least they've still got the bouncy balls:

Outsourcing is more cost-effective for the big ideas these days.
post #165 of 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by souliisoul View Post

Answer the question and stop putting on me, I said that your statement was false and proved it. NOT FULLY OPEN SOURCE!

I've never understood how so many people get snookered by Google's "open" propaganda. It's all "open source" this and "open" that, you'd think they didn't have a proprietary line of code laying around anywhere in the shop. You have to give them credit for duping so many people for so long, and they do have one hell of a propaganda machine they run.

post #166 of 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

I've never understood how so many people get snookered by Google's "open" propaganda. It's all "open source" this and "open" that, you'd think they didn't have a proprietary line of code laying around anywhere in the shop. You have to give them credit for duping so many people for so long, and they do have one hell of a propaganda machine they run.

What are you smokin son?  With iOS as a dev you are sandboxed (like a child as it were), in Android you basically can run any bit of code you like.  What is it about this you don't understand, or somehow equate to "getting snookered by propaganda"?  Of course, the apple evangelist will take this fact and throw it in my face as the reason Android is so terrible; insecure and riddled with mass destructive malware. 

post #167 of 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo42 
Of course, the apple evangelist will take this fact and throw it in my face as the reason Android is so terrible; insecure and riddled with mass destructive malware. 

There are other facts though.

http://www.slideshare.net/agent0x0/the-android-vs-apple-ios-security-showdown

Juniper Networks' 2011 Malware Report
- 13,302 samples of Android malware from June - December 2011
- Apple's is unpublished but they quarantine every app so is noted as being 0

http://www.juniper.net/us/en/local/pdf/additional-resources/jnpr-2011-mobile-threats-report.pdf

Android has a sandbox too, it's just bigger and cats and dogs have been allowed in to leave their mess all round the edges. Run far and free but wipe your shoes when you are done. Do they have Norton for Android yet?
post #168 of 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Juniper Networks' 2011 Malware Report
- Apple's is unpublished but they quarantine every app so is noted as being 0

Quarantine?  How so?   Actually, in that report, Juniper says this:

Quote:

"The Juniper MTC database does not include malware samples for Apple’s iOS platform .

This does not necessarily mean it does not exist or that the iOS platform is not vulnerable to malware . Indeed, there have been instances of applications pulled from Apple’s App Store for violating Apple’s terms of service . 

The inability to quantify iOS threats is largely due to Apple not releasing data or opening its platform for analysis."
post #169 of 191
Do they have Norton for Android yet?

Norton. McAfee. Symantec. All the big names.

Originally Posted by KDarling View Post
The inability to quantify iOS threats is largely due to Apple not releasing data or opening its platform for analysis."

Good. How else do you think this stuff happens? Trial and error. That slows things down.

post #170 of 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by KDarling 
Quarantine?  How so?

Apple's review process is stricter than Google's.

http://techcrunch.com/2012/11/05/android-malware-surges-despite-googles-efforts-to-bounce-dodgy-apps-off-its-platform-f-secure-ids-51447-unique-samples-in-q3/

http://www.mcafee.com/us/resources/reports/rp-quarterly-threat-q2-2012.pdf

"During the past few quarters we’ve seen that the Android OS is the most popular target for writers of mobile malware. This quarter was no different; practically all new mobile malware was directed at the Android platform. The mix included SMS-sending malware, mobile botnets, spyware, and destructive Trojans."

Google has your back though:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/10/13/android_ondevice_malware_scanning/

well, sorta:

http://www.theverge.com/2012/12/10/3751202/google-android-malware-scanner-test

At least the phones have quad-core CPUs, you almost won't notice the scanning behind that buttery smooth ice-cream jelly bean sandwich.
post #171 of 191
post #172 of 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo42 View Post

What are you smokin son?  With iOS as a dev you are sandboxed (like a child as it were), in Android you basically can run any bit of code you like.  What is it about this you don't understand, or somehow equate to "getting snookered by propaganda"?  Of course, the apple evangelist will take this fact and throw it in my face as the reason Android is so terrible; insecure and riddled with mass destructive malware. 

No, not at all (especially since others have already). But, help me understand something. Android is good because it's like Windows? I don't get it. And what does that have to do with "open"?

post #173 of 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by KDarling View Post

Quarantine?  How so?   Actually, in that report, Juniper says this:

This does not necessarily mean it does not exist or that the iOS platform is not vulnerable to malware . Indeed, there have been instances of applications pulled from Apple’s App Store for violating Apple’s terms of service . 

Pretty funny stuff there. Apps have been pulled for violating the TOS, and that means iOS is vulnerable to malware? No, you didn't write it, but you quoted it, which means you endorse it. So, can you explain the logic of how TOS violations equates to malware?

But, before you do that, there are a lot of other things you need to talk about, like the browser engine you created with your bare hands and your decades of multi-touch development, and, oh, I can't remember the other thing, but maybe someone else can.

You're a real card, KDarlinglol.gif

post #174 of 191

Bill Gates, please come back !!!!!! :D

post #175 of 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by msimpson View Post

Larry Page and Mark Zuckerberg will one day both be as famous and powerful as Michael Dell.

Ouch.  Low Blow.

I'm waiting for Ballmer to swallow his pride when they discontinue the Surface product line.  Was that a failure, or what?  But, but, but, but, but it's got a kickstand!!!

post #176 of 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by drblank View Post

I'm waiting for Ballmer to swallow his pride when they discontinue the Surface product line.  Was that a failure, or what?  But, but, but, but, but it's got a kickstand!!!

I'm still ticked off at Ballmer (and Gates) for killing the Courier tablet project.

I even contributed to that Kickstarter version for the iPad, called Tapose, which the ex-head of the Courier project helped with.

Alas, not the same.

post #177 of 191
Quote:

Apple's review process is stricter than Google's.

Thanks, that answers my question.  I wasn't sure what you meant by "quarantine".   It sounded like you were talking about removing or blocking apps after they were downloaded  (aka quarantining them).

Quote:

Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Pretty funny stuff there. Apps have been pulled for violating the TOS, and that means iOS is vulnerable to malware? No, you didn't write it, but you quoted it, which means you endorse it. So, can you explain the logic of how TOS violations equates to malware?

No, it doesn't mean I endorse the entire statement.   My only point was that the report said it had no numbers for iOS mostly because Apple doesn't share such information.

Which was a bit wimpy on their part, as other sources such as the App Genome Project have previously noted that iOS apps were more likely (until recent updates) to grab and share our contact info with third parties for money.

Quote:

But, before you do that, there are a lot of other things you need to talk about, like the browser engine you created with your bare hands and your decades of multi-touch development, and, oh, I can't remember the other thing, but maybe someone else can.

Actually I think I commented that I did two browsers from scratch.  One was for an embedded 68030 control system, the other for a prototype interactive settop box in the mid 1990s when I was head of a major STB R&D lab.   Of course, it was easier to write one back then.

I started with HTML when there was less than 1000 websites on the entire planet.  We often had to use a text based browser like Lynx because we were on green screen terminals.  Our company (Stuart Entertainment) was one of the first to have a web page. 

I've been lucky to be involved in a lot of seminal projects in my life.  Some were pretty well known back in the early days of home computing, and so was I, in some circles.  In fact, once in a while a person reading the forum figures out who I am and emails me.  But that's not important.  I'm just here to share my knowledge.

This is a forum.  We only know what we know about people from what they post.   My background and knowledge are clearly demonstrated in my posts about history, patents, trademarks and how devices work. 

As for your posts, it seems that you rarely add anything to a conversation except personal attacks.  Why don't you tell us what you've ever done, instead of just insulting others?  Thanks.

post #178 of 191
Quote:

Ouch.  Low Blow.

Something like this ?  (Credit : Simtub member Artwork (2/2/2012)) :

Edited by umrk_lab - 1/20/13 at 1:53am
post #179 of 191
Originally Posted by umrk_lab View Post
Something like this ?  (Simtub member Artwork) :

Is that edited after the fact, or did Ballmer really have a photoshopped picture of Cook holding a Windows device at whatever this is?

post #180 of 191
Quote:

Ouch.  Low Blow.

And it clicks......
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #181 of 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Is that edited after the fact, or did Ballmer really have a photoshopped picture of Cook holding a Windows device at whatever this is?

TS, Apple's strict secrecy rules do not allow me to answer you, you know (I note that you exclude the possibility of Tim ACTUALLY holding this Windows device, and preserving the photograph in preparation of a forthcoming Microsoft event, just after Apple's bankrupcy).

post #182 of 191
Here's a tip for you Larry. STFU and do it yourself, if its that easy. You want innovation, then innovate, lead, not expect others like Apple to, then follow in their wake. Geez, what a douche.
post #183 of 191
Is google evil? Sure are. Just look.
post #184 of 191

oooohh. . . Evil ad placers. . . . 

post #185 of 191
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post
oooohh. . . Evil ad placers. . . . 

This could very well be your least eloquent reply to an anti-Google post.

post #186 of 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

This could very well be your least eloquent reply to an anti-Google post.

It didn't need more. 1wink.gif

post #187 of 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo42 View Post

1. That has nothing to do with whether the software is 'open' or not. It's possible for an open-sourced OS to sandbox apps just as it's possible for a proprietary OS to allow apps free access to the entire device.

2. You just explained in a nutshell why Android is so much more prone to malware than iOS. From a user's perspective, 'open' doesn't mean a whole lot (if anything). Security does.
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #188 of 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by umrk_lab View Post

TS, Apple's strict secrecy rules do not allow me to answer you, you know (I note that you exclude the possibility of Tim ACTUALLY holding this Windows device, and preserving the photograph in preparation of a forthcoming Microsoft event, just after Apple's bankrupcy).

Who  is the next quack, we going yo hear from??

Maybe someone will share  a picture of Tim Cook holding a Samsung Galaxy 2

post #189 of 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by souliisoul View Post

Who  is the next quack, we going yo hear from??

Maybe someone will share  a picture of Tim Cook holding a Samsung Galaxy 2

Tim Cook has been very positive towards Microsoft Surface, you know, and went as far as saying "the Windows 8 tablet makes a great cutting board for my sushi."

Edited by umrk_lab - 1/20/13 at 12:54pm
post #190 of 191

'Tech-stalker'? That sounds like a synonym for 'Google'!

post #191 of 191

>Google CEO digs into rival tech companies, says industry needs more innovation

Wow, what a ridiculous statement from the Co which has copied so much of Apple's designs.

Is he that dumb or just being a smart ass?

Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Google CEO digs into rival tech companies, says industry needs more innovation