or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Samsung pokes fun at Apple lawsuits in Super Bowl teaser ad
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Samsung pokes fun at Apple lawsuits in Super Bowl teaser ad - Page 4

post #121 of 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemyNX View Post

This has nothing to do with Apple and everything with the super B..

 

Sh!...
post #122 of 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

One outcome of this advert is that I have completely lost whatever respect I had for any of those guys. How low can you go for money?  And it wasn't even that funny. 

If Samsung offered me $100k to be in a Superbowl ad I would say yes.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #123 of 186
Not offensive, but not really that funny either
post #124 of 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by ankleskater View Post

Did Apple squander similarly in 1984?

No, but then the 1984 ad clearly revolutionized advertising and is STILL being talked about as one of the best ads of all time - almost 30 years later.

Do you REALLY believe the same will be said of this silly ad?
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #125 of 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


If Samsung offered me $100k to be in a Superbowl ad I would say yes.

But we already don't have respect for anyone on this forum so it wouldn't change anything.1biggrin.gif

melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #126 of 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

1) I feel bad for them, too. They were given an opportunity for fame and they took it. I doubt many would say no. They certainly weren't the ringleaders not one of us know the names or faces of these people that set it all up and profited by it.

2) Regardng Danny Kaye, it's amazing how someone can be so well known and beloved in one generation can be lost the next. The Hollywood Walk of Fame is filled with names of people whom I've never even heard of.

It's well known who was behind the whole Milli Vanilli debacle.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #127 of 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post



It's well known who was behind the whole Milli Vanilli debacle.

I can't name a single person except for Rob and Fab.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #128 of 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post


Not that I would compare this Samsung ad with the 1984 Apple ad in any other way except to say that ad also didn't show what the Macintosh could do.

Sadly for them, though, this teaser doesn't make me think of Samsung after seeing it. I'll have to wait to see the entire ad to know if that changes.

The difference being that the Samsung ad won't be discussed 30 secs after it airs meanwhile the Apple ad is being mentioned some 30 years after it aired. See the difference?
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #129 of 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I can't name a single person except for Rob and Fab.

Frank Farian was the mastermind.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #130 of 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Look at it this way:

To the general public the "smartphone" is a new thing, most know mistakenly believe that it started with Apple's iPhone, but everyone who's interested has also heard of Android.  They are currently wondering "who is going to win" or "who is best" or something similar because people are generally stupid, simplistic and vain and want to be on the "winning team."  For them, it's a battle.  

There are also several scenarios wherein Samsung could "loose" "lose" (the battle) even earlier.

There I fixed it for you
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #131 of 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post


The difference being that the Samsung ad won't be discussed 30 secs after it airs meanwhile the Apple ad is being mentioned some 30 years after it aired. See the difference?


That's not the original argument, though.

 

... and if it was the argument then when they showed it, did Apple know it would be discussed 30 years in the future (by the way... my 23 year old niece and her friends don't know about the 1984 ad).

 

... and I still haven't been shown in that ad where it mentioned the capabilities of the Mac.

 

See the difference?

na na na na na...
Reply
na na na na na...
Reply
post #132 of 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


I find it hard to see how this is making fun of Apple. If not for AI posting this I would have said that you'd have to be anti-Apple to see it that way.

Even Samsung barely gets a mentioned. It's said once at the beginning and their bookend logos on the screen. No products at all, just humor with celebrities.

 

I agree with you, except the way the exec says "We could get sued" seems suggestive. But yes, this ad by itself could not be aimed at Apple. If it doesn't even mention them, then they're depending way too much on viewer knowledge, which would be foolish, to say the least.

2011 Macbook Pro, 2012 Macbook Air, iPhone 5, iPad 4

Reply

2011 Macbook Pro, 2012 Macbook Air, iPhone 5, iPad 4

Reply
post #133 of 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post


That's not the original argument, though.

... and if it was the argument then when they showed it, did Apple know it would be discussed 30 years in the future (by the way... my 23 year old niece and her friends don't know about the 1984 ad).

See the difference?

The whole purpose of a ad is to get a product or company in the minds of people. While the 1984 ad didn't show what the Mac could do it most certainly made Apple the most discussed company that year. This ad neither shows off a product nor does it wow us with it's ingenuity. That's why I say it was a squandered opportunity.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #134 of 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post


The whole purpose of a ad is to get a product or company in the minds of people. While the 1984 ad didn't show what the Mac could do it most certainly made Apple the most discussed company that year. This ad neither shows off a product nor does it wow us with it's ingenuity. That's why I say it was a squandered opportunity.


Now you are changing your argument altogether. Not once did you mention part 2 of your argument. You never mentioned anything about the ads ingenuity... and, again, did Apple know at the time that it would have that effect?

 

By the way... just as a refresher with your comprehension problem... here is my original reply to you:

____________

 

"Not that I would compare this Samsung ad with the 1984 Apple ad in any other way except to say that ad also didn't show what the Macintosh could do.

 

Sadly for them, though, this teaser doesn't make me think of Samsung after seeing it. I'll have to wait to see the entire ad to know if that changes."

____________

 

Upon reading my original reply don't you think that your reply to me was just redundancy? Really. You were just repeating everything I said. Like you weren't really making me see a difference. You were just trying really hard to show how brilliant you think you are.

na na na na na...
Reply
na na na na na...
Reply
post #135 of 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post


Now you are changing your argument altogether. Not once did you mention part 2 of your argument. You never mentioned anything about the ads ingenuity... and, again, did Apple know at the time that it would have that effect?

By the way... just as a refresher with your comprehension problem... here is my original reply to you:
____________

"Not that I would compare this Samsung ad with the 1984 Apple ad in any other way except to say that ad also didn't show what the Macintosh could do.

Sadly for them, though, this teaser doesn't make me think of Samsung after seeing it. I'll have to wait to see the entire ad to know if that changes."
____________

Upon reading my original reply don't you think that your reply to me was just redundancy? Really. You were just repeating everything I said. Like you weren't really making me see a difference. You were just trying really hard to show how brilliant you think you are.

You're absolutely correct I didn't mention the ingenuity part originally because frankly it's an almost impossible thing to do. It's kinda like Daffy Duck's trick, it's terrific but it could only be done once.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #136 of 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post


You're absolutely correct I didn't mention the ingenuity part originally because frankly it's an almost impossible thing to do. It's kinda like Daffy Duck's trick, it's terrific but it could only be done once.
 

 

Which is true.

 

Although sales were higher than expected for the first 3 or 4 months after the airing of the 1984 commercial, Mac sales sank drastically for the rest of the year. Trying to increase sales Apple aired Lemmings at the next Super Bowl and it was a stinker. Apple changed ad agencies at that point.

na na na na na...
Reply
na na na na na...
Reply
post #137 of 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Frank Farian was the mastermind.

If you knew that off the top of your head and know that name and his face better than Rob And Fab then perhaps it's just me but I don't recall anyone ever mentioning Milli Vanilli in the past 2 decades that then mentioned Frank Farian.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #138 of 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Really? So you're now the authority on what's funny?

If I were a Samsung stockholder, I'd be royally pi$$ed. The ad does nothing to improve their brand. It does nothing to explain why someone should buy a Samsung product. It leaves the message that lawyers control the company rather than people who create something.

And for the sake of creating that impression with customers, Samsung will be paying how much for a SuperBowl ad? You really don't think they could have found a better way to spend those millions of dollars? Is it worth spending $5,000,000 on a lame joke that does nothing for your company or product?

Wow, and I thought the Cantabs were one eyed
post #139 of 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

If you knew that off the top of your head and know that name and his face better than Rob And Fab then perhaps it's just me but I don't recall anyone ever mentioning Milli Vanilli in the past 2 decades that then mentioned Frank Farian.

I knew the story well but will confess that I had to look up his name to refresh my memory.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #140 of 186
This has nothing to do with Apple.

They are poking fun at pro sports teams etc that sue when their name is used without proper licensing.

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply
post #141 of 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Who is the target audience?
What is the message?
What is the purpose of the ad?

That's the usual analysis of advertising but a lot of the time, it's nothing to do with the association of brand to content. It's just brand awareness. Take the following ad for example, the audience is people who drink beer, the message appears to be don't mix candles and horses, the purpose is to appeal to people with a sense of humour, nothing more:



All the advertiser needs is that you remember the ad and the brand that made it. Apple used to make funny ads years ago.



When I see the bouncing iPod ads now:



they're cool enough but they have no soul. They still have inspirational ads I like and the Genius ads I suppose were an example of injecting humor but they fell a little flat.

They could do so many things like have a family walk into a store and be confused that all the tablets and phones look the same or make fun about them being too big or that the salesman is trying to push Android tablets because they have plenty in the back - have them all under a banner that says The Next Best Thing. They should give as good as they get.
post #142 of 186
I agree. How did you manage to interpret this as a jab against Apple?
post #143 of 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

That's the usual analysis of advertising but a lot of the time, it's nothing to do with the association of brand to content. It's just brand awareness. Take the following ad for example, the audience is people who drink beer, the message appears to be don't mix candles and horses, the purpose is to appeal to people with a sense of humour, nothing more:

All the advertiser needs is that you remember the ad and the brand that made it. Apple used to make funny ads years ago.

When I see the bouncing iPod ads now:

they're cool enough but they have no soul. They still have inspirational ads I like and the Genius ads I suppose were an example of injecting humor but they fell a little flat.

They could do so many things like have a family walk into a store and be confused that all the tablets and phones look the same or make fun about them being too big or that the salesman is trying to push Android tablets because they have plenty in the back - have them all under a banner that says The Next Best Thing. They should give as good as they get.

I agree with your premise but not the Apple Mac ad you choose. The clearly purpose was the Power Mac G3 was faster than the Pentium II. I think a better example would be the I'm a Mac campaign that also did compare Macs to WinPCs, but in an indirect way.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #144 of 186
That was hilarious. It makes me wonder tho - if Samsung keeps going down this road if Apple will get pissed and open a big can of "I'm an iPhone, I'm Android" ads like they did to Microsoft. Apple has a knack for attacking with humor while highlighting it's products.
post #145 of 186
I think all three of the Superbowl viewers that "get it", will think it's funny.
post #146 of 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX 
I agree with your premise but not the Apple Mac ad you choose. The clearly purpose was the Power Mac G3 was faster than the Pentium II. I think a better example would be the I'm a Mac campaign that also did compare Macs to WinPCs, but in an indirect way.

Sure, that wasn't meant as an example of indirect humour, just humour. Indirect for Apple would be this one:



Not actually made by them. The old ones are the best though:

post #147 of 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Sure, that wasn't meant as an example of indirect humour, just humour. Indirect for Apple would be this one:

video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPlqhw8AoQI

Perhaps I'm reading too much into it but I can't believe Apple would be so undignified and sexist as to use a blonde joke in an ad.
Edited by SolipsismX - 2/1/13 at 4:48pm

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #148 of 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoffdino View Post

This is low class. Like most of Samsung's ads lately, they have focused on poking fun at Apple and sometimes outright insult Apple users.

What if Apple runs a counter-ads "what would Samsung copy if we stop innovating"?

 

Well that is the culture war. I hope it backfires. I don't think so many things should be copyrighted and patented -- but making something such a clone of another companies stifles innovation and penalizes those who invested the time and effort to make it. They thrive in the market while other companies that DIDN'T copy Apple did not -- so obviously, the chose the right path from a business standpoint. I'm guessing they also spent well on PR to poison the well on Apple -- because NOBODY else uses sweat shops in China or conducts lawsuits. Forbes has been in someone's pocket for a while and they consistently single out Apple without noting that they were the ones pushing for improvements or the other companies doing the same thing (not that I justify behavior that way -- it's just curious they'd be so myopic. Here's a US company that is innovating, and Samsung, the sweat shop king is cloning their stuff and then making fun of it on commercials. That's pretty low class. I can only imagine that more companies will find that manipulating public perception is a cost effective way to compete.
post #149 of 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by larry91403 View Post

That was hilarious. It makes me wonder tho - if Samsung keeps going down this road if Apple will get pissed and open a big can of "I'm an iPhone, I'm Android" ads like they did to Microsoft. Apple has a knack for attacking with humor while highlighting it's products.

 

That "ugly copy" ad springs to mind. I vaguely remember them doing one with "it's just as good" and it was some hairy dude dressed up exactly as a super model. I'd like to see some takeoff of the "stalker roommate" who wears everything that the person she obsesses over wears. Stalker is bickering at Apple as it gets on a train; "I'm not copying you. I'm not following you. Where do you get off?" Then you see them staring at another train where the super model gave them the slip. A text message reads; "I got off at the last exit." The Samsung stalker was following another of it's clones --- "Yeah, hey, I'm your last years model which you've already forgotten about, I've given up following and now I just slum it. You want some of my Deep fried Twinkie?"
post #150 of 186
Why would Skamscum want to make fun of the litigious like this. Seeing as they are one of them too.
post #151 of 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

The problem is that your inference doesn't hold water. Can you demonstrate that the people who clicked on 'like' represent the entire list of millions of viewers? Obviously not.

Sorry for responding so late.  It actually holds plenty of water.  If the sample size is greater than 30, the chance that the sample mean (the average value of a sample) differs significantly from the population mean (the average value of the population) rapidly approaches 0 no matter how large the population.  In the case of this video with several thousand ratings, it's quite safe to assume that the opinion of the population (in this case all those who viewed the video) on average is within tenths if not hundredths of a percent of the average rating you see below the video.

post #152 of 186

1984,1984... 1984. Jesus, wasn't that almost 3 decades ago ?? I bet this site has readers that weren't even born back then!!!!

post #153 of 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by gogo2000 View Post

1984,1984... 1984. Jesus, wasn't that almost 3 decades ago ?? I bet this site has readers that weren't even born back then!!!!

And that's the point. People are still talking about that Apple ad 3 decades later. How many of today's ads will be remembered in 30 days, much less 30 years?
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakefinance View Post

Sorry for responding so late.  It actually holds plenty of water.  If the sample size is greater than 30, the chance that the sample mean (the average value of a sample) differs significantly from the population mean (the average value of the population) rapidly approaches 0 no matter how large the population.  In the case of this video with several thousand ratings, it's quite safe to assume that the opinion of the population (in this case all those who viewed the video) on average is within tenths if not hundredths of a percent of the average rating you see below the video.

I would suggest that you get a book on statistics and learn something before embarrassing yourself further.

Your statement applies ONLY IF the sample is random and representative. If a sample is random and representative, then increasing the sample size increases the probability that the observed result is the same as the population as a whole. The numbers are controlled purely by mathematics and can easily be looked up. Just from memory, but the order of magnitude will be right: If you have a sample size of 1,000, there will be a roughly 95% probability that the result will be within +/- 3% of the result for the entire population.

That does NOT apply if the sample is not representative (as, for example, in this case where you have a self-selected sample). Example: let's say that I want to know what percentage of the world's population speaks Mandarin or Cantonese. If I sample 1,000 people in Beijing, the result will be close to 100%. If I sample 1,000 people in Little Rock, Arkansas, the result will be a few percent, at most. The problem is that neither sample is representative of the world's population.

As I've pointed out repeatedly in the survey numbers presented here on various topics, the numbers are often worthless, not because of sample size (since, properly done, a sample of even a thousand can give you useful results) but because samples are not representative of the population as a whole.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #154 of 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichL View Post

This thread is evidence to the contrary.

Most Apple users are not on this thread. They've never even heard of this website.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #155 of 186
These ads make a larger difference than what you may expect. Example: 1984 great ad but in 1985 not so much...

http://www.forbes.com/sites/allenstjohn/2012/02/02/the-super-bowl-ad-that-almost-killed-apple/

This is the world we live in. People/consumers are fickle. Today you are on top of the world tomorrow you are underneath it!!!
post #156 of 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cash907 View Post

Oh come off it, J rag. That was funny for anyone that doesn't have a chip on their shoulder or a stick up their keister.

Supreme humour comes from being willing and able to make fun of oneself, not others.

 

Until an element of self-deprecation comes into Samsung (and come to think of it, most SouthEast Asian companies') adverts (and don't tell me it's a face thing; several Japanese gameshow programs are insanely self-satirising) I can't even crack a smile at these snarky spiteful ads.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
post #157 of 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post


I've been a little worried ever since Cook made that apology.

 

So he's damned for making the apology just he would have been for not making it and folks ripping the company to shreds over 'pretending the problem doesn't exist'

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply
post #158 of 186
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post
So he's damned for making the apology just he would have been for not making it and folks ripping the company to shreds over 'pretending the problem doesn't exist'

 

I still don't get the whining about Apple Maps. Bing Maps has roughly ten roads in Seoul. This is just passed over because… I mean, it's not like Microsoft is a big company or anything.

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.
Reply
post #159 of 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by thataveragejoe View Post
The outrageous Doritos, Go Daddy, Budweiser etc ads of recent years really served a purpose? 

 

But those other ads actually showed the product. Or at least a logo of it. 

 

If this teaser is any sign of what the ad will be like, it won't do either. Which is not effective advertising anymore than spending more time talking about the other boys than yourself is not either.

 

add to this various blogs trying to paint this as a jab on Apple suing the company when any idiot with one ear can tell no it isn't, its about the NFL's trademark use terms, is annoying.

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply
post #160 of 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

And that's the point. People are still talking about that Apple ad 3 decades later. How many of today's ads will be remembered in 30 days, much less 30 years?
I would suggest that you get a book on statistics and learn something before embarrassing yourself further.

Your statement applies ONLY IF the sample is random and representative. If a sample is random and representative, then increasing the sample size increases the probability that the observed result is the same as the population as a whole. The numbers are controlled purely by mathematics and can easily be looked up. Just from memory, but the order of magnitude will be right: If you have a sample size of 1,000, there will be a roughly 95% probability that the result will be within +/- 3% of the result for the entire population.

That does NOT apply if the sample is not representative (as, for example, in this case where you have a self-selected sample). Example: let's say that I want to know what percentage of the world's population speaks Mandarin or Cantonese. If I sample 1,000 people in Beijing, the result will be close to 100%. If I sample 1,000 people in Little Rock, Arkansas, the result will be a few percent, at most. The problem is that neither sample is representative of the world's population.

As I've pointed out repeatedly in the survey numbers presented here on various topics, the numbers are often worthless, not because of sample size (since, properly done, a sample of even a thousand can give you useful results) but because samples are not representative of the population as a whole.

I'll make the same suggestion to you although you can't save yourself from looking like an ass. The damage is already done. What I said was absolutely correct. With a sample size above 30 the chance that the sample mean differs from the population mean rapidly approaches zero. As sample size increases it is increasingly unlikely to pick a sample whose mean is some number of standard deviations away from the population mean (it's a bit more complicated than that but for the purpose of this argument it's all you need to know). That statement accounts for the fact that you could potentially choose a sample that does not reflect the population. What my statement also says is that your chances of selecting such a population are exceedingly low, especially when your sample is several thousand people. The chances of a skewed sample of that size is virtually zero.

I also want to emphasize the fact that the population is all viewers of the video, not all people in the US, all people in the world, all smartphone users, or any other group.
Edited by wakefinance - 2/2/13 at 11:23am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Samsung pokes fun at Apple lawsuits in Super Bowl teaser ad