or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Kindle Fire & Android gain, but Apple's iPad holds commanding 81% tablet share

Kindle Fire & Android gain, but Apple's iPad holds commanding 81% tablet share - Page 2

post #41 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Your 'evidence' to back it up certainly look made up. And irrelevant.

Look, I can totally understand you people wanting to gain some legitimacy and traction for your tablets. It may be happening, for all we know. But I have not seen it in any credible data, nor have you. Give it up, for now. Come back when you have actual data. (Of course, if companies like Samsung put out shipments/channel numbers, we'll know. But they don't, do they? As a result, their minions have to get on boards like these and dissemble or obfuscate).

The only thing I was showing you was that his mention about dual-ownership didn't spring from from thin air. No more than that. I certainly wasn't trying to convince you of anything that goes against what you want to believe. That would be demonstrate-ably useless.

Edited by Gatorguy - 2/6/13 at 6:46am
melior diabolus quem scies
post #42 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

The only thing I was showing you was that his mention about dual-ownership didn't spring from from thin air. No more than that. I certainly wasn't trying to convince you of anything that goes against what you want to believe. That would be demonstrate-ably useless.

I would actually appreciate it if you didn't bother to "show me" anything at all, since most of what you post here is vacuous, anti-Apple, pro-Samsung/Android stuff (mostly in a passive-aggressive way). Your posting behavior is well-known to the Forum regulars.

I would especially appreciate it if you didn't jump in when the question wasn't even originally posed to you (it was to kdarling, but you came along and sidetracked it): I am sure that others -- if they have a point, or can back up what they assert -- can stand up for themselves without your 'help.'

Edited by anantksundaram - 2/6/13 at 7:19am
post #43 of 59

I thought you might honestly be curious if there was any cited support for what he said, but that's plainly not what you were trying to accomplish. Thanks for clarifying that you really hoped it was a "gotcha" for the OP so you could perhaps use that to raise doubts about everything else he posts.

I'll agree with you that he seems perfectly capable of supporting his arguments and doesn't need anyone's help.

As we were. . .

post #44 of 59
Quote:

Data from nine months after the release of the iPad? From Technobuffalo? What's that, your cousin's blog? 

If you read his link, you'd see that the survey quoted in that article was from JP Morgan.

--

In every forum, there are posters who make a genuine effort to do research on their own, and contribute to the group's knowledge and opinions.  

Then there are those who are lazy... who do nothing but snipe at others' comments.  

Each person's post history speaks for itself.

post #45 of 59
Quote:

I thought you might honestly be curious if there was any cited support for what he said, but that's plainly not what you were trying to accomplish. .....

Yeah, I am honestly curious for honest, credible, useful cited support. If you have it, let me know.

post #46 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by KDarling View Post

If you read his link, you'd see that the survey quoted in that article was from JP Morgan.

--

In every forum, there are posters who make a genuine effort to do research on their own, and contribute to the group's knowledge and opinions.  

Then there are those who are lazy... who do nothing but snipe at others' comments.  

You seriously believe that data from nine months after the actual release of of the iPad -- and as someone else pointed out, when non-iPad tablets were barely in existence -- is even marginally useful for an assertion you're making in February 2013!?

Please be honest: is Gatorguy's cite the one you had in mind when you asserted what you did? Or is it you being lazy, simply piggybacking on someone else's vacuous post?

If you have credible evidence, I'd be happy to change my mind. Otherwise, please move along.

(Edited typos)

post #47 of 59
Quote:

--

Does pulling any link instantly make the statement a fact?

I have explained the link to be unrelated.
Do you believe it to be related?

Inspiration begins with google

post #48 of 59
Quote:

Desperate to find things to argue about aren't you? I think there was even an article here at AI along those lines sometime back. Here's an older one to prove the comment wasn't simply made up.
http://www.technobuffalo.com/2011/01/18/ipad-and-kindle-live-in-harmony/

The Kindle and iPad initially seemed to be similar devices, but after twelve months of usage, most have found they are very different. In fact the two devices are so contrasting that according to a JP Morgan survey
, 40 percent of iPad owners
 also own a Kindle, and 23 percent of iPad owners plan to purchase a Kindle this year.

Which Kindle though? It's probably the eInk version which even Gruber prefers to read on.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
post #49 of 59
Quote:

Yeah, I am honestly curious for honest, credible, useful cited support. If you have it, let me know.

Excellent.  It's sometimes hard to tell what someone's motive is.

As for me, I have no dog in this fight.  Too old to care who sells more.  I'm simply as curious as anyone else to figure out why there's such an unexplained discrepancy in supposed sales vs. supposed usage.  It might help me in the future when choosing application devices.

What I do know, is that the simplest explanation is almost always correct.  Our problem in this thread is figuring out what's the simplest explanation 1smile.gif

As for where I read about ownership and usage, I cannot recall exactly.  Every day I read USA, CNN, WSJ, NYT, all sorts of tech reports, and some not so well known mobile sources like the Pew Project.

I apologize for not having the time right now to go look it all up again;  usually I'm able.  Right now, I'm in the middle of a giant tablet deployment, and am overburdened and a bit stressed. 

So feel free in this case to reject my comment if you wish... even though I'm sure we both could find recent references for Americans owning multiple types of tablets and why.  IIRC, the specific article I was thinking of, stuck with me because it pointed out that the user percentages totaled over 100% ... because of people owning both an iPad and an Android reader.

If I find some time in the next few days, I'll go look again.   Thanks for your patience. 

post #50 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillie View Post

Does pulling any link instantly make the statement a fact?

I have explained the link to be unrelated.
Do you believe it to be related?

Of course not. Anantksundaram wanted to know if it KDarling's comment about some people owning a tablet from both Apple and someone else was made up. I found information that would indicate his comment was not simply pulled from thin air and I thought that was all he was wondering. He's now decided that's not the case. It's no biggie.

The link I offered obviously doesn't serve as proof of anything other than there was some basis for the original comment. That's as much proof (or more) as most posters here have for many of their comments.

Now on a slightly related note would you or he believe me if I said 1 of every 6 pc's sold last quarter was an iPad? Of course you would and probably not even demand a citation for it.

Edited by Gatorguy - 2/6/13 at 10:27am
post #51 of 59
Quote:

Excellent.  It's sometimes hard to tell what someone's motive is.

As for me, I have no dog in this fight.  Too old to care who sells more.  ......

...I apologize for not having the time right now to go look it all up ......Thanks for your patience. 

Yeah, sure. No dog. Too old to care. That's why you attack people who ask you to back up an assertion by calling them 'lazy' and 'sniping.' /s

I'll patiently await your answer. (Just know that, if you don't provide it within a few days, I'll remind you, even if it is in another thread).
post #52 of 59
Quote:

He's now decided that's not the case. It's no biggie.

Who's the 'he' to whom you're referring?
post #53 of 59
Quote:

Yeah, sure. No dog. Too old to care. That's why you attack people who ask you to back up an assertion by calling them 'lazy' and 'sniping.' /s

I got that impression from a lack of any posts that include your own opposing references, the way you've called various people a "paid shill", and how you often lump anyone with opposing views into some mysterious "Androider" group.   If that wasn't actually you, I apologize.

Quote:
I'll patiently await your answer. (Just know that, if you don't provide it within a few days, I'll remind you, even if it is in another thread).

Fair enough.

post #54 of 59
Quote:

Now on a slightly related note would you or he believe me if I said 1 of every 6 pc's sold last quarter was an iPad? Of course you would and probably not even demand a citation for it.

Two hours later and still no request for a citation. . . Of course not.

post #55 of 59

Apple did the right thing putting the boot into Android tablets with the iPad 4 refresh and the Mini.

It's a shame they weren't as proactive with the iPhone.

Hopefully the iPhone 5 gets a bigger sibbling.  And a cheaper 'for teens, kids and skinflints' version ala plastic.

Job done.

Lemon Bon Bon.

You know, for a company that specializes in the video-graphics market, you'd think that they would offer top-of-the-line GPUs...

WITH THE NEW MAC PRO THEY FINALLY DID!  (But you bend over for it.)

You know, for a company that specializes in the video-graphics market, you'd think that they would offer top-of-the-line GPUs...

WITH THE NEW MAC PRO THEY FINALLY DID!  (But you bend over for it.)

post #56 of 59
Quote:

I've no idea what you're taking issue with. You've way over-exaggerated Android's installed base compared to iOS haven't you? 

http://gs.statcounter.com/#mobile_os-ww-monthly-201201-201301

I really hope you are not offering the statcounter link as evidence of installed base. Are you?

I am not exaggerating anything, just making an educated guess. I specifically mentioned iPhone vs Android (phone) installed base. Between IDC and  Gartner, the figures show that, in the last two years, Android powered phones have outsold iPhone by 3 to 1. Over the last 4 years that figure drops down to around 2.5 to 1 in favour of Android. I think it's a fairly safe bet that the ratio of Android phones to iPhones lies somewhere between those two figures... and is, obviously, growing.

Web usage stats don't seem to reflect that disparity. So either the sales figures are wrong (which I don't believe) or the iPhone appears to be a "higher utilized device" 

It's you, Gator, that has an issue with that fact.

Quote:
By the way I didn't recall correctly when I thought I remembered iOS share going down.

And I never mentioned it. So?

post #57 of 59
Quote:

Of course not. Anantksundaram wanted to know if it KDarling's comment about some people owning a tablet from both Apple and someone else was made up. I found information that would indicate his comment was not simply pulled from thin air and I thought that was all he was wondering. He's now decided that's not the case. It's no biggie.

The link I offered obviously doesn't serve as proof of anything other than there was some basis for the original comment. That's as much proof (or more) as most posters here have for many of their comments.

Interesting...and I thought your reading and understanding was good.

So an old kindle e reader has an affect on current tablet trends/usage?

Maybe you could not find anything closer and this was the best you can find and decide to mask the fact it is not the same thing and the tablet kindle fire variant was not released till much later at the end of 2011.

Lets refer back the article:
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Amazon's Kindle Fire ? and, to a lesser extent, Android tablets ? saw continued usage share growth after the holidays, according to a new report...
Mmm kindle fire
Quote:

Still, it's no surprise that in Chitika's home area of North America, the iPad sees more of their ads. Even families with Android based readers often also have an iPad

So it's android based readers? Does the kindle e inks count?
What study shows those family's have both android tablets and iPad and only use android tabs as e readers only? Oh yes, anecdotal evidence!
Quote:

You know this how? Care to provide a cite? Or are you simply making stuff up based on anecdotal evidence?

Followed by:
Quote:

Desperate to find things to argue about aren't you? I think there was even an article here at AI along those lines sometime back. Here's an older one to prove the comment wasn't simply made up.
http://www.technobuffalo.com/2011/01/18/ipad-and-kindle-live-in-harmony/

The Kindle and iPad initially seemed to be similar devices, but after twelve months of usage, most have found they are very different. In fact the two devices are so contrasting that according to a JP Morgan survey
, 40 percent of iPad owners
also own a Kindle, and 23 percent of iPad owners plan to purchase a Kindle this year.

So amazon kindles are all android tablets?

Omg! That means android predates iPad by 3years! /s

----
Quote:

Two hours later and still no request for a citation. . . Of course not.

Wow, I must have hit a nerve somewhere? Guess some hate to admit wrong...

You know I'm in a totally different time zone and I actually do other things than glue to forums looking to rebut those who spend all their time spreading anecdotes as facts.

There are plenty here who are extremely knowledgeable and I learn a lot from them.

As for your last comment:
Quote:

Sounds like another baseless anecdote yet again. So you think i would not need to see evidence because its apple and im some 'fanboy' in your eyes.

Using your own words you are the same in believing what kdarling said as fact and you try to back up his claim using an unrelated link. Good job!

To answer your baseless question - no, I would like to see a cite regardless of what is being claimed.

IMO iPads are not, and should not be, included compared to pcs. The usage is too different and any statistic counting iPads as pc are not fair comparisons.

post #58 of 59
Oh and gatorguy, I expect a rebuttal within 2 hours or I will get snarky also 1smile.gif

post #59 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillie View Post

As for your last comment:
Sounds like another baseless anecdote yet again. So you think i would not need to see evidence because its apple and im some 'fanboy' in your eyes.

To answer your baseless question - no, I would like to see a cite regardless of what is being claimed.

IMO iPads are not, and should not be, included compared to pcs. The usage is too different and any statistic counting iPads as pc are not fair comparisons.

Then here you go. 

http://appleinsider.com/articles/13/02/06/apple-grabs-more-than-20-of-global-pc-market-in-q4-2012

Apple's share of worldwide PC shipments surpassed 20 percent for the first time ever during the last quarter of 2012, one research firm reported on Wednesday, with the iPad accounting for one in every six shipped computers.

Pheww... just under the wire, 7 minutes to spare

BTW Fillie, if you thought I was being "snarky" with you, I really wasn't. You were just in the crossfire. Unlike the other poster I thought your comments were generally respectful.

Edited by Gatorguy - 2/6/13 at 3:59pm
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • Kindle Fire & Android gain, but Apple's iPad holds commanding 81% tablet share
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Kindle Fire & Android gain, but Apple's iPad holds commanding 81% tablet share