or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Apple experimenting with wristwatch-like devices made of curved glass
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple experimenting with wristwatch-like devices made of curved glass - Page 2

post #41 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty321 View Post

Please. This is such a joke and a fabricated rumor.

Apple is NOT experimenting with watches.

Nobody wears watches anymore, thanks to the iPhone. This is complete hogwash.

If you guys believe this rumor, then I've got a bridge in Brooklyn to sell you! Send me a private message to buy a piece of the bridge for yourself!

 

It's likely BS tht an insider said this. But not BS that they might be experimenting. Perhaps to maybe one day release something (which will likely be a companion to an iPhone/iPad not unlike the Pebble. Or just explorations in how they can improve support for such things.

post #42 of 123
Great article. From http://asktog.com/atc/apple-iwatch/
post #43 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleSauce007 View Post

I have not worn a watch in years either because my iPhone is a more accurate and maintenance free time piece.

I would wear a band on my wrist if provides the following services:

1.  Use for World Watch, Alarms, Stop Watch, and Timer functionalities.
2.  Use biometrics and NFC for identification and authentication and payments and passes and loyalty cards etc...
3.  Use satellite for sending/receiving location plus compass and mapping functions.
4.  Use to control and get information from other devices via SIRI interface.

I would expect Siri to be in the phone but the device use BLE to transmit your requests back and forth as well as other notifications.

I'd also like the BT paired watch to let you know with a special beep that your iPhone is no longer within range of the phone. This might help if you are pick pocketed or simply forget your iPhone at your desk as you are leaving work.

I'd also like the watch to be able to quickly set your iPhone to Do Not Disturb and Silent without having to reach into your pocket to set your device.

I'd like to be able to see an artist that is playing and then switch tracks while looking at my wrist while on a jog. I'd also like for it to record my heart rate but I'll wait until we have disposable electronic pills that are powered by our bodies (3 months that should be perfected tech, right?¡).

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

 

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

Reply

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

 

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

Reply
post #44 of 123

Well...

 

My Dad collected watches, and among them was the first HP-01 Calculator Watch from 1977.

 

 

Notice the handy stylus...

 

This was purchased in 1977 and AFAICT, it cost $650 -- approx $2,000-$3,000 in 2013 dollars.

 

http://blog.modernmechanix.com/worlds-first-calculator-watch-the-hp-01/

"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
Reply
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
Reply
post #45 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol77 View Post


"Firmware changes will not take effect until you go to sleep and wake up again."

1biggrin.gif

I admit to being a Fanatical Moderate. I Disdain the Inane. Vyizderzominymororzizazizdenderizorziz?

Reply

I admit to being a Fanatical Moderate. I Disdain the Inane. Vyizderzominymororzizazizdenderizorziz?

Reply
post #46 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleSauce007 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricTheHalfBee View Post

Honest question, do people still wear watches? Other than as a fashion statement, what use are they? I haven't worn a watch in maybe 15 years since I started permanently carrying a cell phone with me.

I have not worn a watch in years either because my iPhone is a more accurate and maintenance free time piece.

 

I would wear a band on my wrist if provides the following services:

 

1.  Use for World Watch, Alarms, Stop Watch, and Timer functionalities.

2.  Use biometrics and NFC for identification and authentication and payments and passes and loyalty cards etc...

3.  Use satellite for sending/receiving location plus compass and mapping functions.

4.  Use to control and get information from other devices via SIRI interface.

 

That's similar to what I would want -- most of the time, now, I carry an iPad and an iPhone, keys and wallet.

 

I would always wear a watch and a minimal BT earpiece/mic and carry an iPad Mini -- if I could eliminate everything else. The watch would handle basic/incidental visual feedback and alerts -- as well as interfacing with the iPad Mini for phone services.  You would only need to dig out the iPad Mini to run apps, surf, etc. -- when you need a lot of visual feedback. The iPad Mini could be held to the ear if absolutely needed for phone calls.

"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
Reply
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
Reply
post #47 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

 

I no-longer wear a watch because I am retired and have little need to be aware of the time.

 

When I did, I (being clumsy) often, I would hit them against things and break them... as you mention.  Then I discovered one of the 2 great secrets of dressing successfully for business:

  1. When wearing a wristwatch put the watch on so that the dial is on the inside of your wrist and the band on the outside -- this protects the watch, the watch face and dial from bumps and abrasions.
  2. When rolling up the  sleeves of a long-sleeved shirt -- as you roll them up tuck the rolled part inside the sleeve instead of outside the sleeve -- this avoids any loose ends to catch on things or attract dirt, it won't unroll -- and it looks slick too!

 

...When wearing a 3-piece suit... pants are supposed to be included as one of the pieces!

So you really mean 3 great secrets?

 

And why is it called a 3-piece suit when the tie, which is nearly a must with a jacket and a vest, is the 4th piece.

post #48 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by flippysc View Post

Eight years ago I was in the office conference room with six other colleagues. Out of nowhere the president of the company asked for the time -- to no avail. None of us was wearing a watch.

 

The last time I wore a watch was 17 years ago. I was working at my desk and had a meeting to attend later that morning away from the office. I was periodically checking the time on my watch, and I was extremely productive. I was getting things done in record time, until I finally realized the watch battery was drained to empty, and I was an hour late for my meeting. The next day, the watch was at the bottom of my sock drawer (where it likely still remains), and on my hip was a pager with a battery indicator.  

 

I might wear a minimalist designed watch that has iPod or iPhone features, but it has to be self-charging.

 

Ha!  In my final days at IBM (1978-80) my boss would hold early (7:00-8:00) Monday Morning department meetings -- whether they were needed or not.   Completely bored, I would usually spend the time doing things to my watch... cleaning, changing the battery, polishing the crystal, adding/removing links to the wristband, etc...  Actually, I found the time quite productive in maintaining my watch in tip-top condition.

"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
Reply
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
Reply
post #49 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

I wish I was 6'4! 1smile.gif

I'd think there are a lot of downsides to be much taller than the average. Airplane seats and come to mind. I'm only 6' but I find that economy seating is already too cramped. Not just on planes, but on buses and in movie theaters, etc. I have a friend who is 6'8" and he's at the end where he needs to consider ducking just to make sure he doesn't hit his head on certain things.

Now being much shorter than the average is also an issue but I think I'd that be too short than too tall. I suppose if I'm looking at from a comfort standpoint I'd want to be shorter but I'm looking at with my libido then I think being taller would be better.

Imagine being 7'8" tall like Igor Vovkovinskiy. Poor guy has a tumor on his pituitary gland so he just keeps growing. He was 6' at 6yo. What's even crazier is that there about 3 dozen people in recorded history that are taller than him with the tallest being over a foot taller.

PS: Napoleon was actually slightly above the mean average and well within a normal height for a man at that time.

 

Ahh... Napoleon... The Little Corpulent!

"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
Reply
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
Reply
post #50 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty321 View Post

Please. This is such a joke and a fabricated rumor.

Apple is NOT experimenting with watches.

Nobody wears watches anymore, thanks to the iPhone. This is complete hogwash.

Somebody needs to leave his apartment once in a while. Almost all health professionals wear them at work, as well as others who can't have phones at work. I wear one all the time and also have my phone on me all the time.

This looks more decorative than practical, however I'm sure Apple would do a nice job at figuring out what works. I look forward to seeing the final result (if in fact there is one)
post #51 of 123

Well gosh, I'm sure Apple is experimenting with a thousand things, few of any of which will emerge as products. So much speculation with no basis.

 

But allow for a second the idea that Apple is planning such a device. It would have to do far more than anyone expects to be a hit - people look to their phones for time now. Incorporate GPS for activities (oh wait, that's been done). Payments (far from clear Apple believes in NFD). Count steps for running (oh that's been done too...). So we'd have to find a new killer application that has not been done before, or at least only been done really poorly, for Apple to make a mark here.

 

From a technology perspective some of the right ingredients are coming together. Curved glass patent. Hiring a leading OLED expert. Buying fingerprint detection (seems perfect for something as fiddly as a wristwatch). Inductive charging (no room for a connector on something as tiny as a wristwatch). Of course all of these have plausible explanations in other products, but they could easily converge well on a new tiny device.

post #52 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by y2an View Post

Inductive charging (no room for a connector on something as tiny as a wristwatch).

 

There wireless charging patent would make a watch even more interesting..

 

http://appleinsider.com/articles/12/11/29/apple-investigating-realistic-wireless-charging-technology

post #53 of 123
"I think most people buy Apple products as a fashion statement now anyway?"

I think most PC fanbois believe this...... or should I say want to believe this. Likely because they don't know any better.

I've used Apple Computers and other Apple devices for over 20 years. I made that decision based on reliability I could depend on day after day in a business environment. Twenty years later, I know I would make the same decision. Apple products are a fashion statement only because they are beautifully designed. Beyond that they have proven time and again to be reliable because they are not just beautiful on the outside, the build quality on the inside is remarkably "beautiful" as well.
post #54 of 123

Good job NYT, let's publically divulge what Apple is privately experimenting with and possibly developing, in order to give a headsup to the competition and Apple strategy, and remove any surprise before the official announcement.

post #55 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbook View Post

 

I think most people buy Apple products as a fashion statement now anyway?

 

What an idiotic statement. How disconnected do you have to be from the real world to actually believe this? Jesus Christ. But yeah, keep convincing yourself that this is the case, because obviously Apple products have absolutely no inherent merit unto themselves, but simply provide a 'fashion statement'. Probably the laziest, most intellectually vacuous apple-trolling statement that exists.

post #56 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

 

What an idiotic statement. How disconnected do you have to be from the real world to actually believe this? Jesus Christ. But yeah, keep convincing yourself that this is the case, because obviously Apple products have absolutely no inherent merit unto themselves, but simply provide a 'fashion statement'. Probably the laziest, most intellectually vacuous apple-trolling statement that exists.

 

The fact is that there are some people that purchase Apple products just for the 'cool' factor. I've met a few of them in my time. I certainly don't think it is the majority though.

post #57 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScartArt View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

 

What an idiotic statement. How disconnected do you have to be from the real world to actually believe this? Jesus Christ. But yeah, keep convincing yourself that this is the case, because obviously Apple products have absolutely no inherent merit unto themselves, but simply provide a 'fashion statement'. Probably the laziest, most intellectually vacuous apple-trolling statement that exists.

 

The fact is that there are some people that purchase Apple products just for the 'cool' factor. I've met a few of them in my time. I certainly don't think it is the majority though.

 

"You had me at pinch to zoom"...  may get your attention, but most do a deeper evaluation before laying out the the long green. 

"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
Reply
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
Reply
post #58 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe in miami View Post

When I read comments like yours, I simply cringe. Watch makers are having a huge year, in fact many of their shares are hitting new historic highs. The global watch market is close to a $50 billion market. For comparison, movie ticket sales in the US were $10 billion in 2012. If Apple can pull off a waterproof watch, I might be interested. 
A smart watch will never translate directly into sales for existing watch wearers. This is due partly to the fact that watch wearing people are in a much older and male demographic. Try to convince a 50 something to lose his trusty mechanical watch for some curved glass smart watch will take a lot of effort. People wearing watches are used to the simplicity of single purpose accessory the same way smartphone users are used to their smartphones doing a dozen things for them. These 2 groups currently have little overlap.
post #59 of 123
If it doesn't have Rolex quality aesthetics, it will not succeed.
Watches are first and foremost jewelry. That's not bad, it's just a reality. No one except the cast of 'Big Bang Theory' is going to wear anything like the atrocity shown above, or any of the plasticky looking pieces of crap-ola currently available.
On the up side, Apple does know design.
I'd go for a great looking one.
post #60 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScartArt View Post

The fact is that there are some people that purchase Apple products just for the 'cool' factor. I've met a few of them in my time. I certainly don't think it is the majority though.
I've never met anyone who fits that description.
On the other hand, I do know dozens who buy 3rd rate crap purely because they hate Apple.
Now that is stupidity.
post #61 of 123

I'm glad your post was the first one to be posted as you capture my thoughts completely.   I just don't see a need for an iWatch.   Further I suspect that the few men that wear watches these day are pretty self absorbed or vain.     

 

So iWatch is a dead end from my perspective.  

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricTheHalfBee View Post

Honest question, do people still wear watches? Other than as a fashion statement, what use are they? I haven't worn a watch in maybe 15 years since I started permanently carrying a cell phone with me.
post #62 of 123

Watches do say something about the person wearing them and frankly in most cases it isn't something kind or worth repeating in these forums.  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkyard Dawg View Post

Might work if Apple gets the fashion right.  I personally do not like watches, as I'm always hitting them against things and breaking them.  If I need to know the time, I just glance at a clock on the wall or on a computer screen or on my iPhone.  In my kitchen there are 5 clocks visible at all times.

 

Mainly I use watches to mark guys as vapid arseholes.  I see some businessman with a big gaudy expensive watch, I know not to trust him. 

Thankfully I haven't had to interview anybody in some time for a position of employment but I'd have to consider carefully anybody wearing a watch to an interview.  The last thing we need is to hire people who spend more time in front of a mirror than actually working.  So I'm with you, wear the wrong type of watch and you send out pretty damning signals about your personality.  

post #63 of 123

Being tall isn't all it is cracked up to be.    At an even 6' I'm the shortest in my family, even then I've cracked my head more times than I'd like.   Sadly even though I'm only 6' tall I got stuck with size 15 feet, I could go on at length about the horrors of finding shoes that fit.   

Quote:
Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

I wish I was 6'4! :)

post #64 of 123

I don't wear a watch but I'd get one. Why you ask? Because I'm a "iFanboi" or an "iSheep"? No. Because this along with what Googles glasses are, are the next step. Smartphones have brought "the information of a computer to your pocket". As other have pointed out, when I need information I still have to pull my phone out. Now the next step is a watch/glasses, in the process of streamlining a seamless connected process which I believe will one day be an implanted computer system, however that will look like. So I for one will welcoming the shrinking system. I would like to be to see maps, do a siri search, take a picture, etc, especially having it for integrated hearing aids (for those of us who have them). When someone calls, I can see instantly who it is, I can see a text message, I can respond by a simple siri dictation. I honestly don't see why ppl are against it. Yes you don't wear a watch... YET. I'll welcome it if it means I can leave my phone in a bag/pocket/coat just as I leave my laptop at home almost all the time. It's simply the evolution of personal computing.

post #65 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Watches do say something about the person wearing them and frankly in most cases it isn't something kind or worth repeating in these forums.  

Thankfully I haven't had to interview anybody in some time for a position of employment but I'd have to consider carefully anybody wearing a watch to an interview.  The last thing we need is to hire people who spend more time in front of a mirror than actually working.  So I'm with you, wear the wrong type of watch and you send out pretty damning signals about your personality.  

 

This has much more potential than Google Glass. One, you don't have to look like a wannabe-cyborg. Two, think about the accessory market for differently styled bands... you could have a fancy metal band for a rolex-business look or a leather one for a more natural-casual look... the face won't be the iphone lock screen, it will be any number of watch faces, with more available through the app store. It will be able to look like any style watch you want. Three, there's actually something to touch and tap. 

 

It's not a watch, it's a convenient interface for your pocket computer. 

 

This is one of the many reason they hired Jueng-GIl Lee the OLED guy from LG.

post #66 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by GQB View Post

If it doesn't have Rolex quality aesthetics, it will not succeed.
Watches are first and foremost jewelry. That's not bad, it's just a reality. No one except the cast of 'Big Bang Theory' is going to wear anything like the atrocity shown above, or any of the plasticky looking pieces of crap-ola currently available.
On the up side, Apple does know design.
I'd go for a great looking one.

They are jewelry RIGHT NOW. That doesn't mean in the future they won't be function rather than fashion. Let me just ask all who say iWatch is dumb. What do you think about google's glasses project. Same dang thing, different accessory. Then please everyone, share with me your vision of the future of personal computing. You better get ready for it. Integration in our accessories, clothes, etc. If you ask me, smartphones are pretty lame. They're the jack of all trades, master of none. No smartphone can get "real work done". I for the longest time argued from the side of yes they can. The more I look at it, just give me a watch/glasses to do what a phone does... calls, display information. For "work" I'll use a tablet, laptop, or desktop. I personally think a watch + iPad is way more practical than an iPhone. Let me be clear, I'm not talking about every specific thing about smartphones, I'm looking at the broad strokes here.

post #67 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty321 View Post

Apple is NOT experimenting with watches.

 

Even if Apple never released a watch, ever, to say they aren't experimenting in this area is beyond foolish.

Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of a rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #68 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty321 View Post

Apple is NOT experimenting with watches.

 

Even if Apple never released a watch, ever, to say they aren't experimenting in this area is beyond foolish.

The Wall Street Journal is also reporting it now (front page story; idiotic comments, as usual, for the Journal): http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887324196204578296171274865646.html?mod=WSJ_hps_LEFTTopStories

post #69 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

iWatch
An artist's rendition of a curved glass iOS-based watch | Source: unknown.

Everyone will think you are monitored parole.

post #70 of 123
For those whom doubt the importance or viability of this product I commend you for your sceptism but I believe you're wrong. Did you also once believe rumors of an Apple tablet sounded pointless? Anyhow, imagine a 'iWatch,' which among other unknown features, could screen calls over Bluetooth from your pocked iPhone. If call answered then leave the iPhone in your pocket and speak into built-in mic located on the band of the iWatch oriented at the bottom of wrist (screen of iWatch on top of wrist). Your gesture/position of talking would mimic holding a phone except your hand would be slightly higher. Fairly natural and intuitive if you ask me.
post #71 of 123

I honestly can't see how people here have so little imagination as to completely dismiss the concept and usefulness of an iWatch that syncs seamlessly with their iOS devices. Sure, most people don't wear watches because basically the only function is to tell the time. But a watch that would prevent the needs to pull your phone out of your pocket/bag/purse/jacket/other side of the house every few seconds/minutes would be absolutely invaluable to me, and no doubt countless others. The utility and convenience is obvious if done right. There's an infinite amount of situations where this would be insanely useful, especially if connected to a bluetooth headset. Any type of physical activity, for example. Flicking your wrist to view/dismiss a notification, message, take a call, make a call, is infinitely more convenient than pulling your phone out of wherever it is. It would be truly hands free. I hope to God Apple is working on this, as I can't think of anything else that would be more useful at this point. Much ore realistic than Google glasses at least. 

 

If it is released, I have no doubt it will be bashed by everyone, before selling tens/hundreds of millions. 

post #72 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxMacCary 
And why is that guy in the picture's veins sticking out so much?

One size fits all. You want choice, get an Android watch.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurpy 
I honestly can't see how people here have so little imagination as to completely dismiss the concept and usefulness of an iWatch that syncs seamlessly with their iOS devices.

The main problem I can see with the watch idea is the battery. It's not transparent so the concept image doesn't work unless it's all in the strap. These batteries aren't enough to sustain wifi connections so you have to plug the watch in to sync things. Then comes the problem with the headphones, nobody is going to plug headphones into a watch and Apple certainly won't design one with a headphone jack.

What you're left with is an expensive digital watch with a capacitive screen that can't play music, can't run apps, can't do anything over wifi and still would most likely need to be charged up every day.

The source of the information is just icing on the cake because it's the same analysts who keep regurgitating the same junk over and over again trying to push this idea of Apple making something to support emerging markets so that they can tell their clients about some massive growth opportunity when Apple doesn't really need one because they're doing better than ever.
post #73 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

I honestly can't see how people here have so little imagination as to completely dismiss the concept and usefulness of an iWatch that syncs seamlessly with their iOS devices. Sure, most people don't wear watches because basically the only function is to tell the time. But a watch that would prevent the needs to pull your phone out of your pocket/bag/purse/jacket/other side of the house every few seconds/minutes would be absolutely invaluable to me, and no doubt countless others. The utility and convenience is obvious if done right. There's an infinite amount of situations where this would be insanely useful, especially if connected to a bluetooth headset. Any type of physical activity, for example. Flicking your wrist to view/dismiss a notification, message, take a call, make a call, is infinitely more convenient than pulling your phone out of wherever it is. It would be truly hands free. I hope to God Apple is working on this, as I can't think of anything else that would be more useful at this point. Much ore realistic than Google glasses at least. 

If it is released, I have no doubt it will be bashed by everyone, before selling tens/hundreds of millions. 

It seems like it would be useful for all the people who keep dropping and damaging their iPhones, too.
post #74 of 123

I haven't worn a watch for almost a decade now as I don't like wearing them.  My smart phone is my clock etc.  Apple releasing an iOS device in this form factor would not be ideal for me.  For those that are active in sports or need their hands free this would be ideal.  Definitely a good substitute for the iPods at least.  I'd buy one of these before using Google's Glass product though.

post #75 of 123
Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post
Everyone will think you are monitored parole.

 

Isn't that generally on the ankle? 

 

We only need to be concerned if Apple starts making anklets… lol.gif

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply
post #76 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yours Smugly View Post

Honest answer, I do wear a watch. Because a watch is way more practical than a cellphone. A quick glance at your wrist gives you the time much faster than digging your phone out of your bag/pocket/@$$/whatever.

In addition, I tend to leave phone on my desk at work or at charger at home... it is not always with me. So I like to have a watch on me.
post #77 of 123

It's always wiser to not speak in absolutes about what Apple may or may not be experimenting with. They've gone their own way too many times in the past to ignore.

 

As to the people wondering about whether or not watches are still prevalent - you need to pay more attention to your surroundings, instead of spending all of your time hunched over your phones or fishing around for them in your pockets! :) As some others have noted, business people, medical professionals, engineers, all sorts of professional types still use watches.

 

I've worn a watch ever since I was in high school, back in the 1970's. The one I have now is very handy - solar-powered, syncs itself with NIST Atomic Clock every morning around 2:00 AM, so I never have to worry about setting it.

 

If this theoretical product ever sees the light of day, I suspect it would follow the usual path of Apple releases: panning by pundits, then bought by the people who are too busy to worry about what other people think they should purchase. I could easily see something like this being used in conjunction with an iPhone, iPad or iMac for screening and taking calls, using Siri for quick texts and queries, handy GPS mapping for local routes... If it used the latest low-power Bluetooth for syncing, its battery might be manageable. Who knows? Fun speculating, though :)

post #78 of 123

I can see it being used as some sort of remote for the iphone. It acts as a watch but when a call comes in, caller ID is displayed on it and you can answer/talk right on the watch. Notifications would show on it as well. That would be amazing.

post #79 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post


One size fits all. You want choice, get an Android watch.
The main problem I can see with the watch idea is the battery. It's not transparent so the concept image doesn't work unless it's all in the strap. These batteries aren't enough to sustain wifi connections so you have to plug the watch in to sync things. Then comes the problem with the headphones, nobody is going to plug headphones into a watch and Apple certainly won't design one with a headphone jack.

What you're left with is an expensive digital watch with a capacitive screen that can't play music, can't run apps, can't do anything over wifi and still would most likely need to be charged up every day.

The source of the information is just icing on the cake because it's the same analysts who keep regurgitating the same junk over and over again trying to push this idea of Apple making something to support emerging markets so that they can tell their clients about some massive growth opportunity when Apple doesn't really need one because they're doing better than ever.

 

Uh..one word: Bluetooth. Every single thing you mentioned can be done by bluetooth, which is extremely low power. Why sync? This thing doesn't need built in storage. It can require your device to be in proximity, so pretty much everything is streamed. Bluetooth 4.0 is quote capable, which have been there since the iPhone 4S- which can be the minimum requirement for this watch. 

post #80 of 123
I didnt read all the comments- but am I the only one who would be terrified if this were to break....

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Apple experimenting with wristwatch-like devices made of curved glass