or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Apple experimenting with wristwatch-like devices made of curved glass

Apple experimenting with wristwatch-like devices made of curved glass - Page 3

post #81 of 123
Originally Posted by Andysol View Post
I didnt read all the comments- but am I the only one who would be terrified if this were to break....

Do you mean while on your wrist? I'd think they'd have a measure of protection holding the glass in place, even if the impossible mockup in the first post was ever made. I mean, safety glass is coated on both sides with a thin layer of plastic, right? 

I'm not much of a fan of having my hand tendons sliced by glass. Not going through the experience of a fist through glass again…

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
post #82 of 123
'An artist's rendition of a curved glass iOS-based watch | Source: unknown'

Source 'unknown' because no one wants to own up to making this horrible rendition. If this does becomes a reality, it definitely won't look like this. Come on. A home button and a 'slide to unlock? No way. I see it activating by voice command and buttons on the side. It won't be a piece of glass that you wear either. Just my thoughts on a vapor product. I do some possibilities of something like this happening though the more I think about it.
post #83 of 123

We're getting hung up on the rendering. The FACE will likely be curved glass, not the ENTIRE THING. That rendering is the most literal and most unrealistic interpretation of this rumor. 

post #84 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleSauce007 View Post

I have not worn a watch in years either because my iPhone is a more accurate and maintenance free time piece.

I would wear a band on my wrist if provides the following services:

1.  Use for World Watch, Alarms, Stop Watch, and Timer functionalities.

2.  Use biometrics and NFC for identification and authentication and payments and passes and loyalty cards etc...

3.  Use satellite for sending/receiving location plus compass and mapping functions.

4.  Use to control and get information from other devices via SIRI interface.

Then all of a sudden, "talk to the hand" get's an completely new meaning.

post #85 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricTheHalfBee View Post

Honest question, do people still wear watches? Other than as a fashion statement, what use are they? I haven't worn a watch in maybe 15 years since I started permanently carrying a cell phone with me.

I have stopped wearing a watch, unless I am doing an interview, or something. Currently, it does largely only serve as a fashion statement.

However, a smart watch (such as the Pebble) changes the equation completely, because it offers easy and immediate access to a lot more functionality. And if the smartwatch had some stuff like a pulse reader mixed in, it would be a tremendous workout device.

A smartwatch can be awesome. It can handle the vast majority of your phone's communication capabilities, and be far more easily accessed than a phone (especially for folks who carry their phones in a purse/bag).

The problem with existing watches isn't their design or their placement on the human body, which are both brilliant, but rather, their single purpose nature. Just like cell phones, before the iPhone. Apple can revolutionize this industry by making it a platform, like they revolutionized cellphones by making your phone a general purpose computing platform.

post #86 of 123
That Apple embraces wearable devices is fantastic. They have the potential to revolutionize this sector, and everyone else will follow as usual. I hope that it's a device that works on its own and I'm a bit worried about how to place a phone call.

I'm wondering which other material they would use.
Edited by ClemyNX - 2/11/13 at 2:50am
post #87 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty321 View Post

Please. This is such a joke and a fabricated rumor.

Apple is NOT experimenting with watches.

Nobody wears watches anymore, thanks to the iPhone. This is complete hogwash.

If you guys believe this rumor, then I've got a bridge in Brooklyn to sell you! Send me a private message to buy a piece of the bridge for yourself!

You are missing the point completely. Try to think about it.

Wearable computers is the future. Touchscreens are useful if you need to browse or play a game or be productive. For a lot of people, having a watch with Siri that does directions, quick searches, sms, calls and email would be enough to begin with. Apple is trying to make Siri like a true AI that could answer any query.

post #88 of 123

That's a nice looking mockup. Being something worn, it's even more important than usual that it be beautiful to be successful. I think it might have to be even thinner than pictured to be successful.

And I'm not sure long-term that a wristband is the right form for wearable tech, maybe ear-rings for a woman (with tiny speaker and microphone) or a tie-pin/ballpoint pen for men.

post #89 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbook View Post

I think most people buy Apple products as a fashion statement now anyway?

Was that a question?

So your logic is, assuming it was not a question, is that people buy other makes other than Apple because they are not fashion statements? I can only speak personally but I buy Apple products because they are reliable, part of a great eco system and have helped me make a good living for over thirty years. I should add, they have always been a joy to use.
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
post #90 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Was that a question?

So your logic is, assuming it was not a question, is that people buy other makes other than Apple because they are not fashion statements? I can only speak personally but I buy Apple products because they are reliable, part of a great eco system and have helped me make a good living for over thirty years. I should add, they have always been a joy to use.

Obviously not everyone, but I think a lot of people see their iPhones and MacBooks as high end fashion statements.

Apple even fed that stereotype with their iPod Shuffle ads years ago.

And people DO NOT buy Microsoft or Samsung products for fashion. I've never seen or heard of anyone viewing any other tech brand as fashion the way people view Apple and their products.
post #91 of 123
Quote:

Honest question, do people still wear watches? Other than as a fashion statement, what use are they? I haven't worn a watch in maybe 15 years since I started permanently carrying a cell phone with me.
Most people probably don't. Sometimes I catch myself looking at my phone even though I wear a watch.
A watch is extremely fashionable though. I liken it to wearing a belt with jeans, even if you don't need a belt. It looks stupid without one. 1smile.gif

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

post #92 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by drblank View Post

Yes, people still wear watches.  They kind of make you act like a normal person.  Some use it as a fashion statement as people in the professional world just come off a little more responsible since they actually know how to properly dress.

Did you seriously just say that?!

Sheesh.

1rolleyes.gif

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

post #93 of 123
I don't own a watch, but I like this mockup.

If it had Siri and Maps, I can see this as being cool.
post #94 of 123
Originally Posted by MJ1970 View Post
Did you seriously just say that?!

Seriously. 

I mean, you can't say, "It's a hair past a freckle," when you're wearing a watch. Screws me out of so many old man jokes.

post #95 of 123

Lame. Buy another watch you'll never wear too.

post #96 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by psitthipo View Post

Forget this experimental watch, just give us a firmware upgrade for the iPod Nano 6-gen to turn it into a fully functional smart watch. I have two that I love to wear on a regular basis, one with a TikTok band and another with Nato strap.

I agree with you! A simple version that talks to your phone via BT for audio and data both. Of course, a one with camera would just make it even better.

post #97 of 123
Quote:

I wear a Citizen Eco-Drive. It’s solar powered and waterproof to deeper than I ever swim but looks like a classic mechanically wound watch. It's perfect for keeping to schedule during rehearsals where I can grab a near instant glance while conducting, singing or playing. My iPhone is always with me but smart phones are not practical for this sort thing.

post #98 of 123

I can see this device being a bluetooth enabled device that would allow the user to keep their phone in their pocket, yet take calls, send and receive texts, get directions, siri answers, reminders, you name it. New apps would be developed to interface. 

The smartphone has caused a human interface problem. Namely, everyone is living with their heads down looking at their phones. Put the information on the wrist and allow folks to grab the information at a glance. 

Great idea. Only apple can execute it in a way that 'just works' and is elegant. 

post #99 of 123
Interestingly. I finally decided to get my very expensive watch that I haven't worn in years serviced so I start wearing it again. I just got fed up with using my phone as a timepiece, not to mention to also stop looking like some dork fishing for a phone when my wrist would have sufficed.
post #100 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

No offense to anyone...but I think the Nano on the wrist looks kind of goofy and not for me! :)

I also think it's going to be a lot thinner and more elegant the the photo above. Too clunky looking for Apple

Wonder Woman's pre-ordered two.  ("Bullets and Bracelets," y'know!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamnemani View Post

I was like you and did not wear a watch for almost 14yrs. Then last year i got a watch to help me during my swimming (I wear glasses and couldn't see the time in the pool clock). 

But then I realized how much more convenient the watch is over the cellphone. It is a flick of a wrist instead of digging something up from somewhere. I can see the  time while driving the bike or the car, in a theater, while playing some sport when I leave the cellphone in the locker, etc. etc. Now i wear it all the time except in bed. It is waaaaay better than cell phones for time. 

Time slaves still missing their wrist-shackles after over a decade.  Extreme case of Stockholm syndrome, that.....  1smile.gif

An iPhone, a Leatherman and thou...  ...life is complete.

An iPhone, a Leatherman and thou...  ...life is complete.

post #101 of 123

I like agree with what you're saying, and I want to take it to the big picture:

Computers themselves:

1. Invention of the computer - Size of a room.
2. Miniaturization of computers - Desktop to laptop to tablet to smart phone, next wearable and after that next nano   
   computers (probably inside us, just would hate that myself, because I would hat to have to see the bill to get them installed or removed if they break!)

How we interact with them:

1. Tactile - Keyboard, mouse, gestures

2. Voice - Siri  (it still needs work, but it is getting closer)

Future

3. Augmented reality - Google Glasses / Contacts, next Holograms w/ gestures

4. Virtual reality - Neural Interface

What is after that -  ? Trans-humanism -  Cyborgs, AI

I think that the watch and other wearable computers are a good idea, and part of this transition to putting computers out of sight out of mind.  I only worry they will only be here for a blink of an eye.  I think Apple could do it really well, just are they going to put something out into the market if it might be gone in just a few years, or months?

Remember we have went from an iMac in 1998 to an iPhone in 2007

I do see it happening as a way to replace our phones.  Just I can't figure out a good way for the camera... any ideas?

Edited by Tasovar - 2/11/13 at 12:20pm
post #102 of 123
Perfect killer app for curved glass.

Apple seems to always know what materials best fit particular situations.

And what methods of interface to compliment those materials.

I can see this product saving lives as well with built in heart monitor, auto-911 dial if heart stops, etc.

It can also be perfect for pedometer, etc., perhaps working perfectly with Nike apps, etc.

At first, I thought "a watch? Really?"

But Apple is a philosophy about making people's lives better, easier, and more enjoyable.

This fits right in.

So will the TV, etc.
post #103 of 123
Ugly looking, stupid thought, why would this be better( in total)?
post #104 of 123
Apple must be experimenting with all sorts of tech like wearable computing and curved glass, but this sounds like a garbage projects to make sure employees don't leak info before putting them on real projects.

Long FB, AMZN
Schlong AAPL

Long FB, AMZN
Schlong AAPL

post #105 of 123

Crazy thing is iWatch is owned and used by another company already. The other company is going to make a lot more selling the trademark if Apple goes ahead.

post #106 of 123
Originally Posted by r46580 View Post
Crazy thing is iWatch is owned and used by another company already. The other company is going to make a lot more selling the trademark if Apple goes ahead.

Who says Apple would even use that name?

post #107 of 123
Quote:

Wouldn't this be exactly the reason Apple might take interest? The watch, as we've known it, has become obsolete. That does not mean that nothing useful can be done from a wrist based device... Most people I know don't actually *like* "permanently carrying" a cell phone on their body. A watch that could deliver text messages, incoming call/voicemail alerts, reminders, etc. seems like something that could be extremely appealing.

The artist's rendering is lol-worthy though.

post #108 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Who says Apple would even use that name?

They would, if they're smart. You "watch" TV. Here's the remote. You want to keep an eye on your devices. Makes perfect sense from a branding perspective.

post #109 of 123
Originally Posted by aminorsixth View Post
They would, if they're smart. 

Why? Who is anyone but Apple to tell them what name to use for a product?

You "watch" TV. Here's the remote.

… Wearing a television remote on your arm… Nonsense.

You want to keep an eye on your devices. 

Makes perfect sense from a branding perspective.

From a lame pun perspective.

post #110 of 123

If anything, Apple would go after the Fitbit market, not the watch market.

Also, it's exceedingly unwise to use an unattributed photo as your lead image for this story if AI is even remotely concerned with copyright infringement claims.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #111 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgsarch View Post

Wouldn't this be exactly the reason Apple might take interest? The watch, as we've known it, has become obsolete. That does not mean that nothing useful can be done from a wrist based device... Most people I know don't actually *like* "permanently carrying" a cell phone on their body. A watch that could deliver text messages, incoming call/voicemail alerts, reminders, etc. seems like something that could be extremely appealing.

The artist's rendering is lol-worthy though.
Do you realize the iPhone is the main cause of the decrease of watches?, why reverse its goal?
post #112 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCProfessor View Post

Well it ain'ta Rolex with gold and diamonds... more close to those geeky pocket protector doodads. 

I'm sure there will be companies that will take one of these things and do their little customization and add diamonds, etc.  like they do with iPads, iPhones, iPods, and other Apple products.

post #113 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by r46580 View Post

But that was a TV news program wasn't it?   They might have to see if there is an infringement since it's not a competing product.  Do you know how many companies market something with a name like Ninja?  I don't know if Apple needs to get permission, but they would be smart in making sure they don't get involved in a lawsuit over it if they do call it an iWatch.

post #114 of 123

Not really feeling the whole iWatch thing, I just don't think smart watches will fly. But if anyone can make it fly it will be Apple.

Even if it's a successful product I don't think it can match what the iPhone, iPad(or iPod in past year) are to Apple, something more along the lines of a popular accessory like the current Apple TV or Smart Cover. But seems like everyone is trying to build this up as the next big thing, which will just bring out the media morons when the iWatch doesn't sell 50 million it's first quarter.

What exactly is the usage model everyone is thinking of that makes an iWatch so desirable? 

post #115 of 123
While it does have some elegant aspects (and I realize that's just an artist's conception and not anything official from Apple), it also looks like a restraint, which in a way, is exactly what such a watch would be.
post #116 of 123
All wrist watches are uncomfortable.
post #117 of 123

I'm with you on simply not feeling the iWatch thing.   Maybe that has a lot to do with having no respect for men that wear jewelry.    To put it bluntly most males you ripun into with watches on their wrist have mental problems I'd rather not have to deal with.  

Quote:
Originally Posted by BakaRakuda View Post

Not really feeling the whole iWatch thing, I just don't think smart watches will fly. But if anyone can make it fly it will be Apple.

Even if it's a successful product I don't think it can match what the iPhone, iPad(or iPod in past year) are to Apple, something more along the lines of a popular accessory like the current Apple TV or Smart Cover. But seems like everyone is trying to build this up as the next big thing, which will just bring out the media morons when the iWatch doesn't sell 50 million it's first quarter.

What exactly is the usage model everyone is thinking of that makes an iWatch so desirable? 

I don't know about that.   At times it seems like people buy Apple products with a knee jerk reaction or atleast with little self control.   Beyond that Apple would need to deliver a device that offers real value to coral those with a little more free will.  

As to a usage model, this. Is the most difficult thing to contemplate.     Frankly I just don't see the technology there to deliver the functionality talked about here. One would likely need sub 14NM technology just have enough power at a low enough price point to drive such a device.  A current iPhone or IPad app would need to run much more efficiently on a watch 

post #118 of 123
When this comes along, oh my freaking goodness, it's gonna get blinged to bits, so much so that a "bling subsystem" economy's gonna result...
post #119 of 123

iWatch.

You know.  I could do with a a good gym stopwatch.

So I'd be down with an iWatch...

Curved glass, istrap etc.

PS.  Well done to the guy who linked to that very interesting article on what an iWatch could be.

The amount of times i have to go fishing in my pocket for (behave...) the time...

Lemon Bon Bon.

You know, for a company that specializes in the video-graphics market, you'd think that they would offer top-of-the-line GPUs...

WITH THE NEW MAC PRO THEY FINALLY DID!  (But you bend over for it.)

You know, for a company that specializes in the video-graphics market, you'd think that they would offer top-of-the-line GPUs...

WITH THE NEW MAC PRO THEY FINALLY DID!  (But you bend over for it.)

post #120 of 123
Quote:

No. Watches are dead as far as a useful object, they're only used as bling now.

As you've seen from some of the other comments in the thread, it's people who claim to know "how to dress" who still wear the silly things when in fact they know nothing about that subject, since the fashion statement their gaudy watch makes is roughly the same one as the rapper's gold chain with diamond dollar signs on it.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Apple experimenting with wristwatch-like devices made of curved glass