or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple CEO pans OLED displays but stops short of ruling out iPhone with larger screen
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple CEO pans OLED displays but stops short of ruling out iPhone with larger screen

post #1 of 51
Thread Starter 
In his keynote interview kicking off the Goldman Sachs Technology and Internet Conference on Tuesday, Apple CEO Tim Cook discounted the appeal of OLED displays while simultaneously appearing cagier than he's previously been when responding to questions on whether Apple should develop an iPhone with a larger screen in order to address competition.

bigger iPhone
Mockup of iPhone with 4.94-inch screen, created by Marco Arment.


"I don't want to say what we will do or won't do," with regard to screen size, Cook said, in what appeared to be a slight change of tune on the subject.

In the past, Cook had been more firm in his responses regarding screen size. Asked about the issue during the company's quarterly conference call just last month, Cook seemed almost dismissive of larger-screened handsets.

"We put a lot of thinking into screen size," he said, "and believe me, we've picked the right one."

In speaking of Apple's approach to the evolution of the iPhone and mobile devices in general, Cook largely criticized competitors who he believes are largely repeating the mistakes of the past:

Let me compare to the PC industry. Over the years, the way companies competed were two things: specs and price. People wanted to say, I've got the largest drive and fastest processor. In the camera business, people began to talk about megapixels. The truth is customers want that a-ha moment, and that's rarely a function of those things.



For its part, Cook said, Apple has instead chose to focus on the entire iOS experience, not particular specs.

"Do you know the speed of an AX Processor?," he asked. "You probably don't. Does it matter? You want a fantastic experience."

Cook went on to equate the screen size race among Apple's competitors to the specs race in the PC industry. He expressed confidence that Apple is on the right track with the Retina display featured in its iPhones and discounted the notion that OLED displays would deliver an improved experience for Apple customers due to their "awful" color saturation.

"If you ever buy anything online and really want to know what he color is, as many people do, you should really think twice before you depend on the color from an OLED display," he said in a swipe at rivals like Samsung, which uses OLED displays on its Galaxy S3 smartphone.

"There are many attributes to the display, and what Apple does is sweat every detail," he said. "We care about all of them and we want the best display, and I think we've got it." He immediately followed that, though, by repeating: "I'm not going to talk about what we're going to do in the future."

Apple's most recent phone, the iPhone 5, introduced a 4-inch Retina Display, a departure from the 3.5-inch screens featured on previous iPhones. The unit has seen strong sales, but industry observers believe the company is missing an opportunity in not introducing a larger-screened phone to compete with many Android devices.

Recently, rumors have surfaced that the company is in fact working on a larger-screened device to debut some time over the summer, currently dubbed by industry watchers as the "iPhone +"
post #2 of 51
IOS experience needs to be updated and I'm looking at you iTunes/videos/music app.
Also multitasking on iPad.
post #3 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo1234 View Post

IOS experience needs to be updated and I'm looking at you iTunes/videos/music app.
Also multitasking on iPad.

 

Oh, didn't you hear, Tim cook announced that there won't be any more updates to iOS. Sorry.

post #4 of 51
Well, the OLED expert they just hired might not be happy to hear this ;-)
post #5 of 51
Originally Posted by Jimbo1234 View Post
IOS experience needs to be updated and I'm looking at you iTunes/videos/music app.
Also multitasking on iPad.

 

Yes, please, tell us more about how iOS is the worst thing to ever be put on any sort of storage but refuse to actually explain what's wrong with it…

 

All iOS devices already have multitasking. Get over it.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #6 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

Well, the OLED expert they just hired might not be happy to hear this ;-)

How do you make the leap from "existing OLEDs have color issues" to "OLEDs will never be any good and therefore not worth looking at"?

I think it's really rather humorous. People complain that Apple is too set in its ways and ignore alternate technologies, but when Apple chooses to look at alternate technologies to see if they might have a future, Apple gets criticized for that, too.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #7 of 51
So, if we stick to pattern, we'll see an OLED display and perhaps a larger iPhone.

Sounds interesting!
post #8 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

Well, the OLED expert they just hired might not be happy to hear this ;-)

 

Unless they hired him/her to try and fix the "awful color saturation." ;)

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

All iOS devices already have multitasking. Get over it.

Of all the features currently in iOS, IMHO multitasking is near the top of the list of ones that could use some innovation/improvement.  How many years has the multitasking system been around exactly as is? In the same time, iTunes, Music, Video, iBooks, Maps and so on have all seen redesigns and/or upgrades.

post #9 of 51

Isn't it more likely that he is being cagey about OLED because of its possible use in the upcoming TV rather than because they are thinking of making a bigger phone?  

post #10 of 51

deleted


Edited by MacRulez - 7/5/13 at 3:23pm
post #11 of 51
Originally Posted by Lord Amhran View Post
So, if we stick to pattern, we'll see an OLED display and perhaps a larger iPhone.

 

Sounds more like we'll see a better than OLED display on a larger iPad.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #12 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post

(Somehow my original message didn't come through, so I'll try again and hope the servers are feeling better)

Many here say that iOS already has all the multitasking it'll ever need, and they've been saying this since v1.0.  What more could anyone possibly want?

"Multitasking" is not a simple 'yes or no' matter. Many things do multitask on the iPhone. You can play games while listening to iTunes. You can listen to iTunes while sending emails. You can check the web while talking on the phone.

You can not, however, watch TV at the same time you're playing Angry Birds. To a large degree, it wouldn't make sense to do so.

So if you want 'more multitasking' on the iPhone, please be specific. What would you like to do that you can't do now?
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #13 of 51

deleted


Edited by MacRulez - 7/5/13 at 3:23pm
post #14 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post


How do you make the leap from "existing OLEDs have color issues" to "OLEDs will never be any good and therefore not worth looking at"?
 

OLEDs can be a lot more accurate already than they are. Some panels allow your own adjustments even. For phones using them, they're not color correct out of laziness to a large extent and the belief people WANT saturated colors because it adds ooh's and ahh's on the shelf next to 'washed out' LCDs. Most people aren't color experts and don't care. Case and point there's hacking tools out there people use on these Samsung phones to adjust color with a simple software mod. 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

Sounds more like we'll see a better than OLED display on a larger iPad.

 

I very much doubt that. OLEDs on screens that size would suck battery more than LCD. Even Samsung's tablets use LCD screens.  

I'm not a pessimist. I'm an optimist, with experience.
Reply
I'm not a pessimist. I'm an optimist, with experience.
Reply
post #15 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by thataveragejoe View Post

Case and point there's hacking tools out there

Case and point? Oh G-d!
post #16 of 51
Originally Posted by thataveragejoe View Post

I very much doubt that. OLEDs on screens that size would suck battery more than LCD.

 

Better than. As in not OLED at all.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #17 of 51

OLED displays have shown to be color inconsistent and many tests on calibrations show that they're way off. The only mobile display that passed color tests? iPad and iPhones

post #18 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post

(Somehow my original message didn't come through, so I'll try again and hope the servers are feeling better)

 

Many here say that iOS already has all the multitasking it'll ever need, and they've been saying this since v1.0.  What more could anyone possibly want?

 

Well, there are 17 pasty-faced basement dwellers who want the ability to multitask 14 separate apps.  Apple needs to address those demands or they will forever be branded as not customer-oriented enough.

post #19 of 51

Funny thing is the screen lack of brightness and wierd colors is the first thing I notice on the Nexus 4. The screen look pale and washed out. I tried to rise brightness and it did improve. 

 

I have the 4s and the Nexus 4 side by side and even with increase brightness on the nexus 4, the 4s still looks more vivid and as what seems to be more accurate colors indeed.  The iphone also seems to have less reflections. On the resolution side, the nexus 4 is 1080x720 on a 4.7" screen.  Pixel density is lower than the iphone, but I still dont see the pixels on the nexus 4, so its good enough for me.

 

I dont know how IGZO screens compare, but if Apple could avoid OLED it would be a good move, unless they can improved OLED brightness and colors.  That being said, at 350$, the unlock Nexus 4 is a better product than the 4 and 4S to me.

post #20 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

Well, the OLED expert they just hired might not be happy to hear this ;-)

 

He's a screen expert who worked with OLED. His main job area was in printing technologies. People are assuming that he only works with OLED so they can speculate about Apple using OLED. The fact is his job skills would translate to many different areas of LCD/OLED production.

 

 

As to people whining about multitasking, I have yet to see someone give a compelling reason why you'd need to run multiple Apps on your phone. Usually they don't understand what multitasking is or how it's implemented on an iPhone.

 

iOS is a fully pre-emptive multi-threaded, multitasking OS. Apple has made a choice not to allow Apps free reign to run. The important word here is choice. Haters will try and spin it to say that iOS has an inferior architecture to Android which is simply not true. Apple could enable multitasking for Apps as simple as flipping a switch since iOS already supports it. Apple just limits what Apps can do for the sake of battery life and performance/responsiveness. Again, it's simply a choice made by Apple, not a limitation of the OS itself.

 

Apple's method of handling multitasking is actually very good. There are only certain things people really need to be able to do at the same time. Phone calls, music/audio, e-mail, notifications and so on. Apple has services to handle all these, so if you have a Music App you can enable the ability to play music in the background (multitask) simply by using the service Apple provides. This is far more efficient than having an entire App multitasking when only a small portion of its functionality actually needs to multitask. It also makes developers think a little bit about what they want to achieve to write more efficient code than simply taking the "well, the OS will multitask my App for me, so I don't really have to code any special behavioirs for it".

 

What's funny is Android has horrible multitasking as well and neither Android or iOS can be called "true multitasking" (the buzz word so many haters like to throw around). Android can and will terminate Apps without warning if it needs memory. This is because neither Android or iOS have virtual memory (swap file) where they can use storage as RAM when memory gets low. They simply close the App. No OS can be said to have "true multitasking" if it can simply close an App for no other reason then memory getting low. Mis-behaving App? Hung App? Sure, close away. But not a fully functioning App that has done nothing wrong and is the victim of low system resources.

 

Further, Android emplys the exact same technique Apple does for closed Apps. It remembers the state of the App. This way when the App is stated again, it can resume more or less in the same state it was when force closed. From Android Developers: "If a user later returns to an application that's been killed, Android needs a way to re-launch it in the same state as it was last seen, to preserve the "all applications are running all of the time" experience." See that? To preserve the "illusion" that all applications are running all the time, when in fact some may have been killed.

 

In Android you can "request" that an App have priority to stay running (for example, background music), but there's no guarantee it won't get killed, it just has less of a chance of getting killed. What if you launch several Apps that all make an explicit request to stay active? Having to "request" that the OS not kill off your App is not the hallmark of a "true multitasking" OS.

Author of The Fuel Injection Bible

Reply

Author of The Fuel Injection Bible

Reply
post #21 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwmac View Post
I am suggesting they do something to bring some excitement back to iOS and make a new and much improved OS. I am really hoping that iOS 7 will blow us away in innovation and making it a far more complete user experience and address many current shortcomings and annoyances.

Why does my OS need "excitement"?  Isn't that the job of the apps?

post #22 of 51
I don't get the OLED craze. My iPhone 5's LCD screen rocks.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #23 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricTheHalfBee View Post

As to people whining about multitasking, I have yet to see someone give a compelling reason why you'd need to run multiple Apps on your phone.

 

First, let me note that I agree with most of your comments.  Some additional thoughts and notes:

 

Re: multiple apps at the same time, I think it would be handy on tablets, especially when running apps originally meant for phones.   Why use a subset of the screen (like in iOS) or spread the app out huge (like in Android)... just let me run two or more apps in screen sections, if I wish.  (Samsung has started doing this a bit.)

 

Re: iOS and Android app/memory management:  yes, they both ended up using the same main methodology, because it makes sense for a non-critical user oriented OS.   Many mobile OSes have been designed the same.  (Even Windows Mobile was designed to signal apps to shut down on low memory;  however, few developers obeyed that rule.)

 

Re: forced app shutdown.  Yes, both same, with the exception that on Android, you can write your core app as a Service, which will be restarted automatically as soon as there's memory again.  Or, in most cases, using a system alarm to restart an app would be enough, too.

post #24 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by thataveragejoe View Post

OLEDs can be a lot more accurate already than they are. Some panels allow your own adjustments even. For phones using them, they're not color correct out of laziness to a large extent and the belief people WANT saturated colors because it adds ooh's and ahh's on the shelf next to 'washed out' LCDs. Most people aren't color experts and don't care. Case and point there's hacking tools out there people use on these Samsung phones to adjust color with a simple software mod. 


I very much doubt that. OLEDs on screens that size would suck battery more than LCD. Even Samsung's tablets use LCD screens.  

I don't like how LED TVs are put to the brightest setting to wow consumers. Samsung doesn't use OLED in their devices because I don't think OLED is ready for use in small devices, and I think we're still years away from it.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #25 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo1234 View Post

IOS experience needs to be updated and I'm looking at you iTunes/videos/music app.
Also multitasking on iPad.

Mulittasking is a little misleading.  First off, if you double click on the Home Button, it brings up that apps that are currently "Running".  That is what multiasking is.  It's running multiple apps at the same time.  If you want to "quit" an app because you have too many running, then you press and hold until the icons jiggle and then delete those that you don't want running at the same time.

 

The fundamental difference is that iOS devices are running full screen apps whereas OS X laptops/desktops are running apps in different windows that can run either full screen mode or in window mode. 

 

You can do a four finger swipe on an iPad to cycle through different apps running. Some apps WILL pause other apps because it's kind of dumb to have videos playing at the same time as music playing on another app while you are playing a game.  But,some apps are written so they keep playing music in the background while you do something else that does something similar.  It's all how the apps are written and work with one another.

 

Personally, I just think they should give us the ability to switch apps with only 1 finger swipes instead of four finger swipe.


Another thing to consider is that these ARM chips are STILL 32 Bit and it may take another year or so until they start releasing 64 bit ARM chips, so they can only do so much, especially since battery life is important, but Apple still has excellent chip design as compared to others.

 

The OS will go through it's evolution as time moves on.  The thing you have to realize that they don't want to make the OS too confusing to use and too bloated where it doesn't have a good user experience and that includes draining the battery.  sit back and relax.  Things will work out.  I'm not worried about all of the "whiz bang" features of another OS from someone else.  Apple is still the Number 1 supported OS for app and hardware development for practically all industries.  If there is an app that is available on another platform, tell them to write the app for iOS.  But so far, there aren't many on other platforms that I would want that aren't already available on an iPad.

 

Yeah, they need to update the music player.  If you want to check out another one.  Check out McDSP, they just released a music app that's pretty good. It's called LouderLogic.

post #26 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

Yes, please, tell us more about how iOS is the worst thing to ever be put on any sort of storage but refuse to actually explain what's wrong with it…

 

All iOS devices already have multitasking. Get over it.

I think some Android user spread some misleading info.  Typical of them.

 

I wish they gave us options of swiping through apps.  I would prefer a single finger swipe instead of a four finger swipe. Resizeable icons would nice.  Plus a new app switcher bar would be nice.  I would also like another slide down window to instantly change certain settings that I frequently change.  I change certain settings quite frequently turning on/off BlueTooth, reconnecting to BlueTooth devices, reconnecting to WiFi, turning on/off tethering, etc. and having quick access would be nice.  Maybe another pull down menu for selecting apps.  There is a lot they could do.  Plus they should allow for more apps on the dock where they app icons get smaller so we can cram more in the dock like OS X.

post #27 of 51
Originally Posted by drblank View Post
I wish they gave us options of swiping through apps. 

 

We have that.


I would prefer a single finger swipe instead of a four finger swipe.

 

That would break every single app. Do you not realize that one-finger swipe is taken?


I would also like another slide down window to instantly change certain settings that I frequently change.


That could be in Notification Center.


Plus they should allow for more apps on the dock where they app icons get smaller so we can cram more in the dock like OS X.

 

There's a minimum hit box size. Apps aren't there yet, but no app should be larger or smaller than any other. It breaks the at-a-glance aspect, too.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #28 of 51
I have worked in the professional photographic lab field for 30 years and for much of that time colour matching was a black art, trying to match dyes against pigments and different levels of UV reflectivity as well as critical densitometric colour control.

Having recently purchased an ipod touch, I can, with some authority say that the colour matching abilities of the screen with photos taken with the inbuilt camera, in a variety of mixed lighting conditions and subtle shades of tones, is not less that utterly astounding.

If I did not see it with my own eyes I would not believe such colour fidelity is possible. I cannot see how it could be improved. To hear talk about 'saturation' in the OLED displays, sounds ludicrous to me. The current apple retina displays are about as perfect with regards to colour as it is possible to get,
post #29 of 51
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"If you ever buy anything online and really want to know what he color is, as many people do, you should really think twice before you depend on the color from an OLED display," he said in a swipe at rivals like Samsung, which uses OLED displays on its Galaxy S3 smartphone.

"There are many attributes to the display, and what Apple does is sweat every detail," he said. "We care about all of them and we want the best display, and I think we've got it." He immediately followed that, though, by repeating: "I'm not going to talk about what we're going to do in the future."

 

This isn't necessarily a swipe at OLED technology in general.  It's a swipe at Samsung's current OLED technology.

 

What Tim said: "I'm not going to talk about what we're going to do in the future."

 

What Tim meant: "We'll ship OLED panel products the minute we can get great color fidelity and high yields."

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

Reply

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

Reply
post #30 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by thataveragejoe View Post

Even Samsung's tablets use LCD screens.  

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Samsung doesn't use OLED in their devices because I don't think OLED is ready for use in small devices, and I think we're still years away from it.

 

In addition to numerous smartphone models, Samsung uses an OLED screen in their Galaxy Tab 7.7 tablet.

post #31 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnalogJack View Post

If I did not see it with my own eyes I would not believe such colour fidelity is possible. I cannot see how it could be improved. To hear talk about 'saturation' in the OLED displays, sounds ludicrous to me. The current apple retina displays are about as perfect with regards to colour as it is possible to get,

 

Yup. Apple's 2012 iPhone/iPad screens basically nail color accuracy tests. And they do this at scale. After charging up the high DPI marketing angle for a couple of years, in 2012, they started making very color accurate screens.

 

Not sure where they can go with displays in the future, other than a little more of everything: better power efficiency, thinner, less reflective and closer to the glass surface. The bang for the buck is getting smaller and smaller.

 

I'm always amazed at how good my iPhone 4S display is whenever I go from looking at TN displays (basically 90% (?) of personal computer displays) to my 4S display. It's just amazing. Going from a 4S to whatever is the best in 2013? The bang for the buck won't be as huge.

post #32 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by thataveragejoe View Post

...people WANT saturated colors because it adds ooh's and ahh's on the shelf next to 'washed out' LCDs. Most people aren't color experts and don't care.

 

Considering Galaxy phones ship with the display being set to a default 'over-saturated' setting (Dynamic) instead of the 'regular' setting (Natural), I think Samsung at least agrees with you. 

post #33 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by e_veritas View Post

 

Considering Galaxy phones ship with the display being set to a default 'over-saturated' setting (Dynamic) instead of the 'regular' setting (Natural), I think Samsung at least agrees with you. 

well my point was how Samsung views it, not my own personal, so yes...1smile.gif

I'm not a pessimist. I'm an optimist, with experience.
Reply
I'm not a pessimist. I'm an optimist, with experience.
Reply
post #34 of 51

I work with Apple stuff and spend at least four or five hours in Xcode every day. I like Apple more than most. But to be frank, LCD technology is fundamentally inferior to OLED. The hard contrasts and garish colors on Samsung OLED phones (and it happens) are not a result of weakness in the display tech, but the display tech being too vicious and accurate with content designed and calibrated to look good on inferior displays. A good analogy is a MacBook Retina display with non-retina programs - it looks like crap because of the source, not the display.

 

To really use the capability inherent in an OLED display, you would need source material with a gamut and dynamic range to match - and you don't see that around very often. But intrinsically, LCD's are a mish-mash of colorspaces - they take an RGB signal (adding up from black to white) and physically render it CMYK (subract from an absolute whitespace - the backlight - to the color desired, like an inket printing on paper). For all LCD's advantages, that is a Rube Goldberg approach to rendering a pixel, and it cannot come anywhere near black levels of displays that actually can turn off.

 

Apple is playing down OLED displays because that is one critical technology they are absolutely not competitive in. No suppliers, no in-house tech (they're rapidly trying to remedy that now), and they've alienated the biggest player in it.

post #35 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by WelshDog View Post

Why does my OS need "excitement"?  Isn't that the job of the apps?

He means "excrement" 1smile.gif
A phone OS should not be an app launch tool. It should be in-yo-face with lots of, um, excitement. And stuff. Lots of stuff. And animation. So you know it's there. Sucking down battery life.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #36 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by HAL-9000 View Post

I work with Apple stuff and spend at least four or five hours in Xcode every day. I like Apple more than most. But to be frank, LCD technology is fundamentally inferior to OLED. The hard contrasts and garish colors on Samsung OLED phones (and it happens) are not a result of weakness in the display tech, but the display tech being too vicious and accurate with content designed and calibrated to look good on inferior displays. A good analogy is a MacBook Retina display with non-retina programs - it looks like crap because of the source, not the display.

To really use the capability inherent in an OLED display, you would need source material with a gamut and dynamic range to match - and you don't see that around very often. But intrinsically, LCD's are a mish-mash of colorspaces - they take an RGB signal (adding up from black to white) and physically render it CMYK (subract from an absolute whitespace - the backlight - to the color desired, like an inket printing on paper). For all LCD's advantages, that is a Rube Goldberg approach to rendering a pixel, and it cannot come anywhere near black levels of displays that actually can turn off.

Apple is playing down OLED displays because that is one critical technology they are absolutely not competitive in. No suppliers, no in-house tech (they're rapidly trying to remedy that now), and they've alienated the biggest player in it.
What the hell you talking about?
Do you really know what cmyk is? Maybe you should read up on subtractive light.

There is no black light! And K stands for black dye for printing process only because of impurities from dyes mixed from cmy can not guarantee a pure black.

Lcds are additive and only 'subtractive' to filter out the 3 primary additive colours red green and blue, not cyan magenta yellow which are secondary additive colours. If all 3 are not masked then resultant output is still white, because each pixel is made up of not one light but three primary lights. That is why if you zoom into an LCD screen you see 3 primaries.

It is certainly not the same as printing. As light is absorbed and reflected.

There is one thing similar with process printing, that is the colour is made up by fooling our eye in believing we see variations in colour when the reality is inks printed in tiny dots at different angles and densities.

Inspiration begins with google

Reply

Inspiration begins with google

Reply
post #37 of 51
Apple nit moving to OLED is sorta sad yet all this is don't expect this year info
post #38 of 51
I don't see what's wrong with the current multitasking on iPad.
I understand that some people like having different apps opened at the same time on the screen, I don't see the point in that if you can switch with a gesture of the hand.
post #39 of 51
Originally Posted by gwmac View Post
Nope, it is stable but also quite stale. Not mutually contradictory. When I can move the cursor where I want to easily, or even scroll to the bottom of a webpage without a dozen flicks I will stop calling it stale. Even a backspace key (not backspace delete btw)  would be a nice change. What is really different between iOS 3 and iOS 6? I don't want change for the sake of change, I want Apple to address some very serious shortcomings and make some substantial improvements to make it easier and faster to accomplish common tasks. There are many areas Apple needs to make some very substantial changes or additions. 

 

This post is perfectly fine. As such, I've restored it. I apologize to you, here, publicly, for its deletion. It was in haste, borne of its proximity to the other post. You have outlined specific reasons for your belief, and as such you should of course be able to state it. The other post, however, claims only that "iOS is stale", without giving reasons. That's what we're trying to avoid; that FUD. 

 

I don't agree with your cutoff for calling iOS stale in this post, nor do I agree that it is at all stale in the first place. But you have presented your argument here with truthful examples of lacking features to back it, and as such it should remain as part of the discussion.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #40 of 51
Originally Posted by Fillie View Post
What the hell you talking about?
Do you really know what cmyk is? Maybe you should read up on subtractive light.

There is no black light! And K stands for black dye for printing process only because of impurities from dyes mixed from cmy can not guarantee a pure black.

Lcds are additive and only 'subtractive' to filter out the 3 primary additive colours red green and blue, not cyan magenta yellow which are secondary additive colours. If all 3 are not masked then resultant output is still white, because each pixel is made up of not one light but three primary lights. That is why if you zoom into an LCD screen you see 3 primaries.

It is certainly not the same as printing. As light is absorbed and reflected.

There is one thing similar with process printing, that is the colour is made up by fooling our eye in believing we see variations in colour when the reality is inks printed in tiny dots at different angles and densities.

 

I knew when I posted originally somebody would read what I posted, then assume I was confused because they didn't read it right - then get smarmy.

 

There is no 'black light' on additive colorspaces indeed. But that's my original point, 'black' in an RGB colorspace is nothing at all, i.e. zero.

 

But LCD's are always 'on,' aren't they? Backlight is always going, they are never at zero when turned on. In other words, an LCD's version of 'black' emits light (look at your iPhone displaying an RGB = 0 image in the dark, is it black?) and is a fundamental weakness of any backlit display technology.

 

What's more, since you start with a max color temp established by your display's backlight, any color you render through an LCD is subtracted from that absolute color - just like printing on a white sheet of paper. OLED's - just like plasmas and CRT's - add colors from a true zero. An OLED's absolute black is dark as the display when the device is turned off (try same experiment with RGB = 0 image on Samscum SIII Galaxy in the dark, you will find true black).

 

I'll learn 'what the hell I'm talking about' when you learn how to comprehend what you read beyond the grammar. Try reading my original post again.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Apple CEO pans OLED displays but stops short of ruling out iPhone with larger screen
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple CEO pans OLED displays but stops short of ruling out iPhone with larger screen