or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Samsung exec: Galaxy S IV's plastic body balances manufacturability and 'premium feel'
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Samsung exec: Galaxy S IV's plastic body balances manufacturability and 'premium feel' - Page 4

post #121 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by igriv View Post

 

I think that we already know that an iDevice is the only thing you would ever consider -- it does not matter if the S4 has a nicer screen (it almost certainly does), a faster processor (it almost certainly does), a better keyboard and voice recognition (its predecessor already does), a better camera (extremely likely), etc, etc. It does not have a half-eaten fruit drawn on it, so you don't want it, without even having seen it. OK, OK, I get it.

 

And you continue to show your ineptitude.

 

I Like Apple.  Hence I am a member of this forum.  But they EARNED that trust with great products.  When I started getting my MSCE certs, I made fun of Apple.  then I had to support Macs.  Fell in love with them.  Way better to use and to support.  then the iPhone came along.  It changed the game.  I bought one.  Loved it. bought another. Loved it too.

 

Android came out, tried it, but it was crap, both in software in hardware.

 

Samsung is probably the best of all the android phone makers.  but it's the best of an already second-rate bunch. Who needs it when you have iOS.

 

Does an S4 have competitive specs compared to iPhone 5? It might.  But it still loses in the OS and materials dept. and besides that, it BETTER have nice specs.  IT's NEW compared to the 5. LOL

 

When the new iPhone comes out, let's compare your S4 again shall we?

 

so yes, I will buy the superior hardware when it's time for me to upgrade. Hint: It's likely the superior specs will belong to the iPhone yet again, just like the 5 when it came out.

 

sounds more like you are the one who would never consider in iOS masterpiece no matter how much better it is, because it's company isn't based in Korea, it doesn't copy everything shamelessly, and doesn't run a second rate OS.

post #122 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by KDarling View Post

 

I can't believe anyone is arguing over plastic, glass and aluminum.

 

What's the difference in cost?  A few dollars at most?

 

None of them are what is usually considered to be a "premium" material... they're more in the mass "recyclable" category.

 

Try giving your girlfriend an aluminum ring, while telling her that at least it's better than a plastic one.

 

Yeah... because a ring is the same thing as a smartphone and has the same sentimentality. Note, we are talking about "premium" materials in the context of a phone/computer.  not "precious metals." LOL.  I'm getting some popcorn.  The level of reaching you do is pure comedy.

post #123 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by igriv View Post

 

The marxist dialectic view is that quantity eventually becomes quality (in other words, enough incremental improvements, and it becomes revolutionary. Works for Apple, too).

 

As was already said about Android... it is a turd.

 

And a large quanitity of turd never becomes quality anything.  Just a big pile of poo.

 

Marx probably didn't think that one through.  And obviously neither did you. 

post #124 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by igriv View Post

 

But then, to placate her, give her this: http://www.vertu.com/

 

Speaking of polished turds...

 

And NO WOMAN would appreciate being gifted a turd, polish or no.

post #125 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9secondko View Post

Yeah... because a ring is the same thing as a smartphone and has the same sentimentality. Note, we are talking about "premium" materials in the context of a phone/computer.  not "precious metals." LOL.  I'm getting some popcorn.  The level of reaching you do is pure comedy.

 

Each to their own.

 

Glass and aluminum are not what most people would call "premium" materials.

 

Now, if someone used Gorilla glass for the back as well, and Liquidmetal for the surround, I think that would likely be considered as using premium options.

post #126 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Apple has offered products with polycarbonate cases. They weren't cheap. If/When Apple introduces a lower-priced iPhone using a polycarbonate shell I'll be quite surprised if you describe it as cheap either.

Wrong.

I will call it cheap looking.

Watch for my posts if/when Apple decides to make plastic garbage for the poor or stingy.

post #127 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9secondko View Post

 

And yet the same design works for many more.  My iPhone 4 never used a case.  and I never had any issues.

 

so the cases were rather optional.

 

And the subject was in reference to the premium feel of the phone and how plastic fails in that regard compared to the aluminum and glass combination.

 

Then someone mentioned the idea for a phoen with plastic to make it soft and rubbery. then you put up that pic like Apple already did it.

 

Pretty pathetic failure.

 

Once again, for the reality challenged, he was talking about integrated phone materials. You were talking about a CASE.

 

You were that Sesame Street kid "doing his own thing."

 



Sorry, if you read the posts above, you will see why I am unable to respond.

post #128 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hturt Seaker View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Why bother? The premium Android phones are often discarded after a year or less* either for the next Android sensation or due to system failure of some sort, where as the iPhones are handed down, updated iOS and resold for years. iPhones have a long life expectancy, Androids, not so much.
 
* from my personal observations of friends' experiences with Android phones


 


Anecdotal evidence logical fallacy.
Anecdotal evidence cannot be used to prove anything, but there's nothing wrong with using it to express, explain or promote an opinion.
post #129 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by KDarling View Post

 

I can't believe anyone is arguing over plastic, glass and aluminum.

 

What's the difference in cost?  A few dollars at most?

 

None of them are what is usually considered to be a "premium" material... they're more in the mass "recyclable" category.

 

Try giving your girlfriend an aluminum ring, while telling her that at least it's better than a plastic one.


There is no scientific definition for "premium material"; however, there are informal, industry-specific definitions. Furthermore, not all types of plastic, aluminum alloys or types of glass are created equal. In certain applications, certain aluminum alloys and certain types of glass would indeed be considered premium material.

 

 

Having said that, I agree that this debate is specious, particularly when most people are just plain wrong (you're, by and large, an exception in this thread).

post #130 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by hfts View Post

Seriously I am not going to reply to each idiotic post. I will however make mention of KD's assertion that polycarbonate is not plastic.
I a chemist.
Polymers are long chain organic compounds and plastics are polymers.
Polycarbonate is a polymer.
Hence polycarbonate is a plastic.
Sheesh
KD are you all together there?


I am not sure what type of chemist you are, but invoking your background is not relevant or smart (particularly with such a pronouncement as "I a chemist"), particularly specious because your arguments are simply fallacious.

 

Let's examine your logic ... or rather, mistakes.

 

1. "Polymers are long chain organic compounds"

 

Polymers in general do not have to be long-chained (note the "ed" - use the participle as an adjective). Nor do they have to be organic. Two mistakes already and we are only half-way through the first sentence ... Should I go on? Why not?

 

2. "Plastics are polymers. Polycarbonate is a polymer. Hence polycarbonate is a plastic."

 

Are you kidding me? Let's try this corollary (which will give some of us a coronary from laughing):

 

"Idiots are human. You are human. Hence you are an idiot."

 

Sheesh, are you altogether there?

 

Furthermore, there are many polymers which are not plastics. So, not only is your logic is (make that idiotic), your self-proclaimed scientific knowledge is flawed.

 

I was mistaken about one thing. I do know what type of chemist you are. A misguided one. I imagine you will be proclaiming yourself to be an engineer or professional investor in the next thread.

 

KD can be an arrogant SOB. But he knows what he is talking about most of the time. You, sir, are a poser of the most obnoxious kind.


Edited by ankleskater - 3/7/13 at 5:56am
post #131 of 132
"You go to Ross because it's cheap. " Some go to Samsung for triple standby time, near triple talk time and better standardisation. Sometimes lots of sacrifices are made when wearing jewellery.
post #132 of 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by souliisoul View Post

Hturt Seaker,

 

Like 99.9% of people, who try to make a point against iPhone, you have as usual gone off base with your comments/rebuttals, since many people have provided logical feedback, that firstly iPhone is premium product, secondly majority of consumers have not had any issues with oxidation (I use majority in since probably (90% or more) and thirdly Polycarbonate is 'cheap' look and there is no logical information, you can provide me that change our minds, since many critics express this view for Samsung SIII.

 

 

1.- True, there is no way I will change your opinions if they are religiously held.
2.- Hard to quantify when people can't recognize it until it is a big problem. Also, it is been reported how out of the box and day to day damage seems to be a problem with Iphone 5s. http://www.extremetech.com/electronics/136658-scuffgate-will-apple-have-to-recall-the-iphone-5 http://www.forbes.com/sites/timworstall/2012/10/11/will-handling-your-iphone-5-damage-it-maybe/

3.- I am not debating the looks of plastics v aluminum. I have already conceded that Aluminum looks great. I am arguing the practical functionality of the design.

4.- I consider Vertus to be "premium products."

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by souliisoul View Post


You were trying to make a point about the iPhone and oxidation, probably because you thought, since this phone is made of Aluminium, it has problems with oxidation, which I may add, you  have not given any factual evidence that IF this does occur AND more important is an issue for the consumer.

 

Aluminum is prone to several kinds of oxidation and that is a fact.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by souliisoul View Post


Now you are trying to tell us about oxidation in general sense and all many of crap, which has no relevance to this discussion and really, you have not make your point about iPhone and you cannot let go.

 

If a product uses aluminum and that aluminum is exposed for any reason it will oxidize. Add other metals and electrolytes and the process accelerates while changing the molecular structure of aluminum. This is a fact. It is logical to conclude that if the coating of any aluminum product is removed the aluminum will oxidize. There is no way around it.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by souliisoul View Post


Please for love of God, just stay silent and learn from your mistakes.

Practice what you preach

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Samsung exec: Galaxy S IV's plastic body balances manufacturability and 'premium feel'
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Samsung exec: Galaxy S IV's plastic body balances manufacturability and 'premium feel'