or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Samsung announces new Galaxy Mega smartphone with 6.3" display

Samsung announces new Galaxy Mega smartphone with 6.3" display

post #1 of 150
Pushing the trend of big-screen smartphones even further, Samsung on Thursday announced a pair of new handsets dubbed "Galaxy Mega," with the larger version sporting a jumbo-sized 6.3-inch display.

Galaxy Mega

Samsung's latest jumbo-sized handsets are even bigger than the Galaxy Note II, which features a 5.55-inch display. Samsung claims the new Galaxy Mega is "ultra-thin and portable enough to put in a pocket or hold in one hand" even with its 6.3- and 5.8-inch screen size options.

The device is pitched as the "best of both worlds," positioned between a tablet and a smartphone. It's powered by a 1.7-gigahertz dual-core processor for the larger model, while the 5.8-inch version has a 1.4-gigahertz CPU. Both will run Android 4.2 Jelly Bean.

The smaller screen model will come with 8 gigabytes of internal memory, expandable up to 64 gigabytes with a microSD card. The 6.3-inch model has options of either 8 or 16 gigabytes, and can also be expanded up to 64 gigabytes with a separate card inserted. Both feature 1.5 gigabytes of RAM.

"We are aware of a great potential in the bigger screen for extensive viewing multimedia, web browsing, and more," said JK Shin, CEO and head of IT & mobile business at Samsung Electronics. "We are excited to provide another choice to meet our consumers? varying lifestyles, all while maintaining the high-quality features of the award-winning Galaxy series."

Galaxy Mega

Other features of the Galaxy Mega highlighted by Samsung are:
  • 'Group Play:' Enables easy content sharing for up to 8 devices on the same Wi-Fi network.
  • 'Samsung WatchON:' Transforms into an IR remote controller for a richer TV experience. Connect the device to your home entertainment system, and it will provide program recommendations, schedules, and even remotely control your TV.
  • Samsung Link:' Easily streams photos, videos, notes, or music to your television, tablet or computer.
  • 'S Translator:' Say or text what you need translated into the GALAXY Mega, and it will provide instant translation, using text or voice translation on applications including email, and ChatON.
  • 'ChatON:' Share what?s on your screen with friends to stay more connected.

Samsung is planning a global roll-out of the Galaxy Mega, beginning in Europe and Russia and May. Availability will vary by market, as Samsung has promised the device will be rolled out "gradually."
post #2 of 150

So Samsung has 4 lines now in the mobile space - Galaxy S smartphones, Galaxy Note (could be smartphone, could be tablet), Galaxy Mega smartphones and Galaxy Tab tablets.

Do I have this right?

post #3 of 150

My razor has SIX blades! Now I can shave my back in only a couple of strokes.

post #4 of 150
I thought we were past April Fools already
post #5 of 150
Looks like the convergence of the smartphone and tablet. Time will tell if this is what the public wants to happen.

Please update the AppleInsider app to function in landscape mode.

Please update the AppleInsider app to function in landscape mode.

post #6 of 150

6.3 inches just seems way too big.  I wonder if there will be a significant market for them?

post #7 of 150

What a fugly, awkward-looking device.

post #8 of 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex iPhone Owner View Post

6.3 inches just seems way too big.  I wonder if there will be a significant market for them?

People who like their pants hanging down I suspect.
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
post #9 of 150
Quote:

I hear that there are 12 guys in Singapore that want them as well as a guy in Topeka... but beyond that...

na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #10 of 150
Samsung only just announced this?

Didn't the Romans have these?

My car keeps crashing whenever I do 150mph. It's a design flaw. People tell me to slow down and drive normally but I should be able to use it as I wish.
My car keeps crashing whenever I do 150mph. It's a design flaw. People tell me to slow down and drive normally but I should be able to use it as I wish.
post #11 of 150
In further news, Samsung has also announced that I can use my 50 inch Samsung plasma screen tv as a phone, too. All I have to do is hoist that bad boy up to my face (with out toppling over) and I am free to make calls and surf the web on the Giant/Mondo/Mega screen from my home, work or car (of course I would have to buy a larger car just to fit it in there)!

Dear Samsung....you are really starting to get a little ridiculous now! But hey, if I'm going to be seen with a piece of crap phone on my face, why not a giant piece of crap phone on my face!
post #12 of 150
Definately not a one hand device. Probably great for handbag carriers or the modern man with his man bag. Bit too big for my jeans though.

I will stick to my 5 inches max. Fits easily in pocket, easy to use with one hand.
post #13 of 150

Typical Android OEM... ANOTHER flagship phone release when they JUST released their "flagship" S4. Didn't Samesung already say they're releasing MORE flagship phones running their new Tarzan OS by the end of the year? If I were an Android (namely Samesung) customer who just spent top dollar for their latest flagship phone, I'd be royally PO'd. 

It's a good thing I can count on Apple to only release one flagship iPhone per year. 

post #14 of 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Samsung's latest jumbo-sized handsets are even bigger than the Galaxy Note II, which features a 5.55-inch display. Samsung claims the new Galaxy Mega is "ultra-thin and portable enough to put in a pocket or hold in one hand" even with its 6.3- and 5.8-inch screen size options.

You left off the fine print:

If you're an NBA player.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #15 of 150
Wow. This is ridiculous. Sammy is using the shotgun approach. I'm holding out for a 10" phone.
post #16 of 150
It's the elephant in the forum so we might as well get it out of the way

Quote:

6.3 inches just seems way too big.

That's what she said. 1wink.gif

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

post #17 of 150
Oh and I'm sure the analysts will drool over Sammy's "innovation"
post #18 of 150
Quote:

I find 4.3" too big. This reminds me of the 19 and 20 inch laptop craze around 2005.
post #19 of 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

It's the elephant in the forum so we might as well get it out of the way
That's what she said. 1wink.gif

Sorry, I'm not taking 4 inches off for anyone.
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #20 of 150

These are definitely too big for most people, however, I do like the ratio of screen to bezel on that black phone. 

LOL people should just enjoy whatever phone they prefer and stop being d-bags about other phones they don't use. Fanboys are pathetic, regardless of whether they are Android or Apple ones.
LOL people should just enjoy whatever phone they prefer and stop being d-bags about other phones they don't use. Fanboys are pathetic, regardless of whether they are Android or Apple ones.
post #21 of 150
A co-worker of mine is a huge guy, standing 6' 4" and weighing 300+ lbs. He has been using an iP4s, but always complains that his fingers are too big to type on the phone. He ends up using his iPad because it almost looks iPhone sized in his hands.

I can see people like him wanting a giant screened phone like this, but beyond that, I'm not sure what demographic they are going after.
post #22 of 150
One can only hope that this release shit because you can mentality come back to bite Samsung. They really seem to be confusing their product line too. What's the difference between the Note and Mega?
post #23 of 150
Next comes the Samsung Flava - a 12 inch tablet phone with a gold chain that hangs around your neck.
post #24 of 150
I'd rather walk around with an iPhone + iPad mini than to save a few bucks and using one device. A device that runs Android. Nope. Thank you Apple.
How to enter the Apple logo  on iOS:
/Settings/Keyboard/Shortcut and paste in  which you copied from an email draft or a note. Screendump
How to enter the Apple logo  on iOS:
/Settings/Keyboard/Shortcut and paste in  which you copied from an email draft or a note. Screendump
post #25 of 150
2j0mclj.jpg
post #26 of 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgregory1 View Post

A co-worker of mine is a huge guy, standing 6' 4" and weighing 300+ lbs. He has been using an iP4s, but always complains that his fingers are too big to type on the phone. He ends up using his iPad because it almost looks iPhone sized in his hands.

I can see people like him wanting a giant screened phone like this, but beyond that, I'm not sure what demographic they are going after.

Agreed. Some of the bigger dudes at my gym will probably love these phones, I don't see most people finding these nearly as usable as a 5" or smaller phone.

post #27 of 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

One can only hope that this release shit because you can mentality come back to bite Samsung. They really seem to be confusing their product line too. What's the difference between the Note and Mega?

Their Note products (smartphones and tablets) have the included pen/digitizer. I assume the MEGA products do not have this. I also assume we'll soon have a MEGA Note that does. Perhaps even a follow-on that's 6.5-6.8" called the Super MEGA, also then followed by the Super MEGA Note.

post #28 of 150

Well they got the name right. The rest, only time will tell.

post #29 of 150
I hope they're non-stick... I don't want a massive red spot across the side of my face when this thing slaps against my cheek on a warm day.
post #30 of 150
Here is the strange part. They copy Apple even when they are trying not to. Apple has used the add ons like mini or nano to describe their mobile products. If they were going to create a giant phone, what do you think they would have called it. Until recently Sammy would have just given it a new name, not tack on Mega.
post #31 of 150

Seems like more of a self defence device.

Is there anyones pocket this will fit into?

post #32 of 150

I remember what they used to say about guys with big cars......

post #33 of 150
Originally Posted by elmoofo View Post
I hope they're non-stick... I don't want a massive red spot across the side of my face when this thing slaps against my cheek on a warm day.

You're not supposed to use it as a phone, though. Because "no one uses these as phones anymore".

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
post #34 of 150

I think 6.3" is too big.  While 5.8" is too small.  Samsung, how about make a 6.1" phone?  just for me?

post #35 of 150

I saw a couple of young Asian students with giant Samsungs plastered up against their faces at Starbucks last night.

Now before anyone calls me racist for pointing out that they were Asian...

They were twentyish, skinny and petite in stature. One of them made eye contact with me and he swung his head away from me, to concentrate on his call, guess. I couldn't see anything more than his hand, the phone, and a tuft of hair.

Is this an object of having a giant phone? To cover your face like a mini phone booth?

While we were sitting over the twenty minutes we were there, neither used their Samsungs for anything but phone calls. Never pulled out the stylus. Never used an app.

Edited by AppleZilla - 4/11/13 at 7:38am
post #36 of 150
Apple better get phablets soon even at the expense of cannibalizing iPads
post #37 of 150
Apparently Samsung hasn't learned to focus.

"People think focus means saying yes to the thing you%u2019ve got to focus on. But that%u2019s not what it means at all. It means saying no to the hundred other good ideas that there are. You have to pick carefully. I%u2019m actually as proud of the things we haven%u2019t done as the things I have done. Innovation is saying no to 1,000 things."

Steve Jobs
%u2014Apple Worldwide Developers Conference, May 13%u201316, 1997
post #38 of 150
Originally Posted by Everett Ruess View Post
Apple better get phablets soon…

Or what, morons will keep whining about them?

I'll take the morons over Apple doing something stupid any day.

post #39 of 150
Somewhere, Microsoft is working on a new Surface tablet that is smaller than this 1smile.gif
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
post #40 of 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairb View Post

Definately not a one hand device. Probably great for handbag carriers or the modern man with his man bag. Bit too big for my jeans though.

I will stick to my 5 inches max. Fits easily in pocket, easy to use with one hand.

I can fit 10" in my jeans.  LOL

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Samsung announces new Galaxy Mega smartphone with 6.3" display