or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple yanks 'Bang with Friends' app from iOS App Store
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Apple yanks 'Bang with Friends' app from iOS App Store

post #1 of 50
Thread Starter 
Facebook-connected hookup app "Bang with Friends" was pulled from Apple's App Store on Friday, with the removal coming a little over one week following the app's debut.

BWF


Bang with Friends, the Facebook integrated app that lets users hookup with friends on the ubiquitous social network, hit the App Store last week Wednesday, but it seems Apple found something amiss with the title, leading to a takedown earlier today.

The Bang with Friends mobile webpage is also down with a "Be Right Back" message, though it is unclear if the two issues are related. According to cofounder Colin Hodge, Apple has not yet given an official response as to why the app was removed, reports CNET.

While the app's title may be somewhat risqu?, the service behind it is more akin to an anonymous matchmaking service limited to a Facebook user's friends list. To use "BWF," a Facebook account holder signs up with the service and selects friends with which they would like to have a sexual encounter. If that friend is also a member of BWF, and has likewise selected the first person as a potential match, emails are sent to each user notifying them a match has been made.

The service is anonymous, meaning users will not be alerted when a friend wants to "hookup" unless they have also shown interest.

Apple has not yet responded to requests regarding the pulling of BWF, but the company has recently taken a stricter stance on apps that contain questionable content. For example, Twitter-owned Vine was stripped of its App Store's Editors' Choice designation after the app's curators mistakenly featured a snippet showing hardcore pornographic content.
post #2 of 50
It's not like it's called "Bang Your Friends". Geez.
post #3 of 50
What does bang with friends mean anyway? Is there some other slang for bang besides sex? My guess is Apple got complaints from parents and perhaps will ask the app developers to change the name.
post #4 of 50

Looks like a stupid app anyway. Why would you want an app to approach or create a potential match?!? You'd just save the hassle and approach her yourself the "normal" way that has been done for thousands and thousands of years. These kinds of apps bore me.

post #5 of 50

It's a promo app for Django Unchained.

post #6 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

What does bang with friends mean anyway? Is there some other slang for bang besides sex? My guess is Apple got complaints from parents and perhaps will ask the app developers to change the name.

You know like when you play Cops and Robbers. Bang Bang Bang Bang Bang
"I got the answer by talking in my brain and I agreed of the answer my brain got" a 7 yr old explaining his math HW
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"I got the answer by talking in my brain and I agreed of the answer my brain got" a 7 yr old explaining his math HW
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #7 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffo View Post

Looks like a stupid app anyway. Why would you want an app to approach or create a potential match?!? You'd just save the hassle and approach her yourself the "normal" way that has been done for thousands and thousands of years. These kinds of apps bore me.

It's mainly a gay hook-up app.  

 

On iOS it was called "BWF,"  on Android it's actually called "Bang With Friends."

post #8 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

What does bang with friends mean anyway? Is there some other slang for bang besides sex? My guess is Apple got complaints from parents and perhaps will ask the app developers to change the name.

Coordinate gangstuh play dates?
post #9 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

You know like when you play Cops and Robbers. Bang Bang Bang Bang Bang

Pretty sure that's not legal anymore.
post #10 of 50
I don't know why app developers of sex related content even bother making iOS apps. They should just stick to making android apps, that's where they'll find the most leniency.
post #11 of 50

I hope the reason for this app being offline is something other than Apple being prudish. So it's sexual in nature... so what? It doesn't expose minors to inappropriate material and its intended purpose doesn't affect anyone but those who use it. Carry on bangin' as far as I'm concerned.

post #12 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrrodriguez View Post

I don't know why app developers of sex related content even bother making iOS apps. They should just stick to making android apps, that's where they'll find the most leniency.

There is really no sexual content in the app. It just basically sends email info between FB friends who have stated they are interested in each other. It's basically a matchmaking service that is utilized mainly by the gay community. Nothing offensive in the app itself.
post #13 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

You know like when you play Cops and Robbers. Bang Bang Bang Bang Bang

For this app that's more like Cocks and Bobbers.

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

 

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

Reply

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

 

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

Reply
post #14 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffo View Post

Looks like a stupid app anyway. Why would you want an app to approach or create a potential match?!? You'd just save the hassle and approach her yourself the "normal" way that has been done for thousands and thousands of years. These kinds of apps bore me.

 

Because the app let's you express an interest (more than an interest, apparently) in someone with less risk of embarrassing rejection.  I don't know why it needs to be an app though.  I'm surprised Facebook doesn't just implement this option (a new version of "poke" maybe).

 

It would be ironic if the disappearance is based on the Words With Friends people complaining about this app ripping off their name (ironic, since they ripped off Scrabble--badly but successfully).

post #15 of 50

Make it a web app and move on.

post #16 of 50

Yet they won't pull apps which let people rate your appearance and place not so subtle tags about the size of your private bits and link that information with your facebook account without your consent (they can do that since that "friend" gives consent to give information about their friends list), and is also sexist since only one gender can see the comments, aka Lulu? BWF seems morally superior to that to me, at least in this one it's anonymous and consensual for *both* parties. 

post #17 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by tipoo View Post

Yet they won't pull apps which let people rate your appearance and place not so subtle tags about the size of your private bits and link that information with your facebook account without your consent (they can do that since that "friend" gives consent to give information about their friends list), 

 

Well that is the trouble. You friended them. Someone pulls that crap then unfriend them. 

post #18 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

 

Well that is the trouble. You friended them. Someone pulls that crap then unfriend them. 

But that's the wonderful thing about it, because of the genitals I was born with I can't see who wrote the reviews or even the content of them. 

post #19 of 50
Is it only me who finds it rather sad and pathetic that Apple bans a rather innocuous app like this, and yet games that involve death, destruction, and graphic bloodshed pass without so much as a mild comment?

I'm NOT advocating censorship of games, but I think we've lost perspective when bloodshed is acceptable but even the brief sight of a nipple causes uproar.

As others have said, Apple seems to have a very prudish corporate culture (I've been told this comes from Steve Jobs originally, though have no first hand evidence of this).
post #20 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by solsun View Post

It's mainly a gay hook-up app.  

On iOS it was called "BWF,"  on Android it's actually called "Bang With Friends."
Gay hook up app? I'm sure it's front page news on the Verge then.
post #21 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post


Gay hook up app? I'm sure it's front page news on the Verge then.

Well it's a clever idea...  But honestly, how many women did the developers think they'd get to go around marking all of their male FB friends that they'd like to secretly bang..    Gays on the other hand.. :)

post #22 of 50
Nice no rejection dating service app, a guy could send out a BWF to every woman over a 5. Where was tech when I was single
post #23 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everett Ruess View Post

Nice no rejection dating service app, a guy could send out a BWF to every woman over a 5. Where was tech when I was single

You could start using the service and I'm sure you'd be single in no time.

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

 

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

Reply

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

 

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

Reply
post #24 of 50

How on earth did an app named "Bang with Friends" get approved in the first place? Are the app reviewers actually like a foreign call centre with people who don't know the meaning of English slang?

post #25 of 50

Don't ban it--just rate it. How can it be considered worse than a gory violent game or movie? Oh, wait--almost forgot what country I'm in.

 

In any case, I downloaded it, and chose ALL of my friends. I will not hook up with ANY of them, but I'm ready to humiliate anyone who chose me! And I have a screenshot to prove I really did choose ALL my friends, showing that I have no true intentions. I risk nothing, but my friends lose their anonymity. Hilarity ensues! *

 

* No, I didn't really do that. But someone could... so it's not really anonymous is it?

post #26 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by v5v View Post

I hope the reason for this app being offline is something other than Apple being prudish. So it's sexual in nature... so what? It doesn't expose minors to inappropriate material and its intended purpose doesn't affect anyone but those who use it. Carry on bangin' as far as I'm concerned.

 

Actually as I understand it the app was set up so those interested in a quickie. And given that the age restrictions on Apple's apps is a simple click that has no backup, yes it is possible that two teens with Facebook accounts could get into 'mischief'. Particularly since a number of kids have lied about their age to get past any restrictions on signing up etc so who knows if that 20 year old really is or is a lying 16 year old. 

 

So while there is no literal 'inappropriate material' in the app, it's not hard to see why Apple is gun shy of the whole thing. We know from all the IAP tales how well some parents aren't paying attention to what their kids are doing with their devices. 

 

Not to mention that we have zero information  about why it was pulled. Perhaps it has nothing to do with the sex factor but maybe a trademark claim on the whole 'with friends' or they weren't doing the proper permissions to use access to the Facebook settings or used a private API. who knows

post #27 of 50
Whoah, America again being self-righteous prudes?

Really, you'd believe it's 1613...

Social Capitalist, dreamer and wise enough to know I'm never going to grow up anyway... so not trying anymore.

Reply

Social Capitalist, dreamer and wise enough to know I'm never going to grow up anyway... so not trying anymore.

Reply
post #28 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by drtimhill View Post

Is it only me who finds it rather sad and pathetic that Apple bans a rather innocuous app like this, and yet games that involve death, destruction, and graphic bloodshed pass without so much as a mild comment?

I'm NOT advocating censorship of games, but I think we've lost perspective when bloodshed is acceptable but even the brief sight of a nipple causes uproar.

As others have said, Apple seems to have a very prudish corporate culture (I've been told this comes from Steve Jobs originally, though have no first hand evidence of this).

Exactly how I feel. The sexual repression and prudishness is downright offensive. Especially in comparison to what's "acceptable" by the same regulations.

Sex is not dirty. Sex is not shameful. Sex is not a sin.

Unless you make it that way.

Yes, "even" outside marriage.
post #29 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by dysamoria View Post

Sex is not dirty. Sex is not shameful. Sex is not a sin.

I've also heard that sex is natural, sex is fun, sex is best when it's one on one.
Edited by SolipsismX - 5/17/13 at 7:24pm

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

 

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

Reply

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

 

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

Reply
post #30 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I've also heard that sex is natural, sex is fun, sex is best when it's one on one.
But you wouldn't want to have sex with George Michael.
post #31 of 50
If you can't fu** your friends then who the fu** can you fu**? And if your friends won't let you fu** 'em, then what kinda fu****g friends are they??
post #32 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by dysamoria View Post

Sex is not dirty. Sex is not shameful. Sex is not a sin.

Uh...your holding it wrong.

We've always been at war with Eastasia...

Reply

We've always been at war with Eastasia...

Reply
post #33 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by solsun View Post

On iOS it was called "BWF,"  on Android it's actually called "Bang With Friends."

Possibly due to the phablet screen size on Android devices.
"See her this weekend. You hit it off, come Turkey Day, maybe you can stuff her."
- Roger Sterling
Reply
"See her this weekend. You hit it off, come Turkey Day, maybe you can stuff her."
- Roger Sterling
Reply
post #34 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by joseph_went_south View Post

If you can't fu** your friends then who the fu** can you fu**? And if your friends won't let you fu** 'em, then what kinda fu****g friends are they??

Platonic?

post #35 of 50
It's obvious Apple pulled it cuz of the app name, just rename it.
post #36 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by dysamoria View Post

Sex is not dirty. Sex is not shameful. Sex is not a sin.

Unless you make it that way.
In which case it's a lot more fun.
post #37 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everett Ruess View Post

Nice no rejection dating service app, a guy could send out a BWF to every woman over a 5. Where was tech when I was single
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

You could start using the service and I'm sure you'd be single in no time.
Very funny 1smile.gif
post #38 of 50
The "Bang With NotScott" app was similarly refused.
post #39 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by realitychecks View Post

[...] I don't think BWF is geared towards homosexuals.

 

Probably not by design, but it winds up being that way de facto. How many women do you know who would actually use an app like that? Sure, a few probably, but not many. Men, on the other hand, will flock to it.

 

With so few women using it, straight men don't make many hook-ups and stop using it. Men looking for other men are much more successful and continue with it. Eventually they're the only ones left using it.

post #40 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascii View Post

Platonic?

Sarcastic 1smile.gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple yanks 'Bang with Friends' app from iOS App Store