or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › iOS 7 beta: Hotspot 2.0 support will lead to hassle-free Wi-Fi access

iOS 7 beta: Hotspot 2.0 support will lead to hassle-free Wi-Fi access

post #1 of 32
While not mentioned during Apple's WWDC keynote, iOS 7 will support Hotspot 2.0, a relatively new Wi-Fi technology that allows compatible devices to seamlessly connect to compatible hotspots without user interaction.

Hotspot 2.0

The new feature is based on the Wi-Fi Alliance's Passpoint project, which looks to automate connections to certified hotspots quickly and securely. This means iOS device users will one day no longer have to search for, select, and manually connect to certain access points.

Passpoint technology is aimed in part at cellular carriers, which offer Wi-Fi hotspots throughout a coverage area as a way to offload data burden. By using a cellular device's SIM card, or other unique identifier, Hotspot 2.0 devices are able to access these Wi-Fi networks without having to constantly input credentials.

In order for the tech to work, both ends must support the protocol, meaning smartphone OEMs, manufacturers of Wi-Fi gateways, and service providers have to be a part the program. So far, the technology is not widespread, at least not to the point where it would be impactful to an iPhone user.

However, as Ars Technica noted on Tuesday, trials are currently underway with participation from 30 operators. Consumer deployments are scheduled for release later this year, possibly in time for the expected rollout of Apple's next-generation iPhone.
post #2 of 32
It would be nice just to have the iOS 7 but noooo.... We have wait for apple to release there new phone first what a bunch BS
post #3 of 32
Never mind all that.

I'm running the iOS 7 beta now.

I can't friggin stand it. The design seems all over the place. iOS seems to have lost its *well contrasted*, punchy beauty. It looks drab and lifeless.

Maybe it'll grow on me. But my first impression..... Ive should have been kept way from software.
post #4 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Never mind all that.

I can't friggin stand it. The design seems all over the place. iOS seems to have lost its *well contrasted*, punchy beauty. It looks drab and lifeless.

Maybe it'll grow on me. But my first impression..... Ive should have been kept way from software.

I don't like it either. I hope it'll grow on me. It's like Apple listened to tech presses too much. I'm all for a new look but I don't understand why everything must be flat. Can't icon be 3D? Can't notification be 3D? OSX icons are 3D and nobody accused it of being skeumo...

I hope OSX won't go this route.

post #5 of 32
It just looks stupid and thoughtless. The folders, the 2D blobs that they are, look *completely* out of place. The zoom effect on the folders is slow and totally unnecessary, compared to the nifty downward-slide we had before. It all looks like a disjointed Franken-OS. The design doesn't flow.
post #6 of 32
Quote:

Never mind all that.

Whoa. Coming from you, Quadra 610, that's pretty serious criticism, and one that I pay attention to.

Can you be more specific/substantive?
post #7 of 32
Originally Posted by Scarface View Post
It would be nice just to have the iOS 7 but noooo.... We have wait for apple to release there new phone first what a bunch BS

What entitles you to the software now? You want to whine about how buggy it is, go illegally download the developer preview and complain.

iPhone OS versions are always released with new hardware. That you choose to ignore this is your problem.

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.

post #8 of 32
AT&T automatically joins iPhones to attwifi networks at various businesses that use it.
post #9 of 32
Wow, security for WiFi access points. I don't think this is anonymous, which is a good thing. This way if people try and hack or whatever from a hotspot, they can be identified, obviously there will be way around this, I know "exception trolls", but still this should be cool.
Adobe Systems - "Preventing the Case-Sensitive revolution everyday..."
Adobe Systems - "Preventing the Case-Sensitive revolution everyday..."
post #10 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface View Post

It's not ready yet, it's a developer preview.  It'll be released when it's ready (hopefully after they've designed some decent icons 1wink.gif).

censored

censored

post #11 of 32
Hey anant. 1smile.gif

I can't really give you a response that would do justice to your question. I can't see beyond my disappointment at the moment. If the Release will look and behave anything like the beta, I'll probably jail-break for the first time ever and find a different theme.

Again, this is only my first reaction, and it's like I've broken out in hives. Keep that in mind. Some things still look out of place by default, because the iOS ecosystem isn't fleshed out with iOS 7 yet.

I'll write more later. But for now, I'm having an interesting reaction to iOS Bauhaus. 1wink.gif
post #12 of 32
I'm part of the skeumorphism-within-reason camp. Game-centre texture, no. Linen texture throughout the OS, for example, yes. This iOS 7 thing has no depth or texture or life to it. It's drab and sterile.

I'll stop now because I don't want to derail this thread. But this OS has no warmth to it. No charm. It has no character at all.
post #13 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by grblade View Post

AT&T automatically joins iPhones to attwifi networks at various businesses that use it.

The problem with auto-joining is that a lot of heavy data usage can be limited to WiFi-only. But if the WiFi is from your cellphone provider, they might still count the data against your limit (they do with my carrier).

post #14 of 32
I really like it even though I too liked the linen. I'm impressed with the amount of new features as well.

It's just beta 0 at the moment, and keep in mind folks they redid the entire GUI in 7 months
Doodle Dice iPhone puzzle game: A fun, free physics-laden collection of dice games.  Greatest app made yet?  Perhaps young man... Perhaps.
Doodle Dice iPhone puzzle game: A fun, free physics-laden collection of dice games.  Greatest app made yet?  Perhaps young man... Perhaps.
post #15 of 32
Congratulations... A new record for a collection of whiny, childish, myopic children who were, not a week ago, crying about how stale iOS was looking. A week with iOS 7 and you'll all be laughing at how dated 6 looks.
It's style, people... You'll adjust to whatever's in front of you.
Grow up.

Oh, BTW, it's months until final release.
post #16 of 32

I don't think it does. I always need to authenticate at Starbucks (I'm on ATT) whenever I try Wi-fi. Starbucks is an ATT Wi-fi partner.

For your sake, I hope you're right.
post #17 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by GQB View Post

Congratulations... A new record for a collection of whiny, childish, myopic children who were, not a week ago, crying about how stale iOS was looking. A week with iOS 7 and you'll all be laughing at how dated 6 looks.
It's style, people... You'll adjust to whatever's in front of you.
Grow up.

Oh, BTW, it's months until final release.

Exactly! I'm dumbfounded by all the whiners who got exactly what they were asking for. Now, it's, "OMG, Apple effed this up!" I'm finally convinced that some people, even so-called Apple fans, will never be happy. I read the live blogs and watched the keynote and Apple did pretty much everything they could have with this iOS 7 release-and more. Cry me a frickin' river.

post #18 of 32
There is a lot I like about the new design. Quite a bit that caught me by surprise, and I'm still getting used to.

But, as a designer....as a software and web designer....I'm learning, just by looking at what they did and imagining why. Despite it being a little confusing (after 6 years of iOS looking nearly identical)....I can really appreciate where they are going with this. Lots of potential with this design. Lots of FREEDOM with this design.

It navigates the same, but looks entirely different. That to me is amazing. I'm using it unconsciously as I always have, with no problem. Once you get over the "change", you see the design get out of your way.

However. The parallax effect on the background makes me nauseous, as all digital 3D and fake 3D does to me. 1hmm.gif
post #19 of 32

I have no parallax affect on my phone. How do i enable it? I have ios 7 and it works fine but there is no 3d effect of any kind.

post #20 of 32
Quote:

Never mind all that.

People screamed for change and now they have it. Have to take the good with the bad. I find some of the functionality interesting but the first impression doesn't wow me. That's what happens when artists have cart Blanche. Well now all the whiners can take it all in and be happy you don't have virtual leather stitching or fake felt anymore.
post #21 of 32
I didn't scream for any change at all. I was all for subtle refinements on top of an already successful design paradigm.

I was never part of the "iOS is stale" camp. I defended Apple's traditional approach. But that's just me, anyway.
post #22 of 32
Ives started work on this entire new OS/UI 7 months ago.

Getting a reasonably complete developer beta done in that time is miraculously efficient work, even given that some features (not UI) were in development already.

Expecting the OS and the new UI to be in final, polished, bug-free, refined form this early? Absurd. These things take time. The rapid pace of development in the last 7 months will continue in the months ahead. Things will change. Don't panic for nothing yet.

That said, I like what I've seen of iOS 7 already. Change is painful always, but I think we'll be very happy once the shock of the new wears off and the tweaks are complete. (And of course, you get whiners about "too little change" as well 1tongue.gif )
post #23 of 32
Originally Posted by EricTheHalfBee View Post
^ I thought only children copied usernames of existing members.

What a pathetic life you must lead.

He didn't even do the good one where Huddler's username font lets you substitute lowercase 'L' for 'I' so you can make an account called "APPLELNSIDER" which shows up as visually identical to "AppleInsider". lol.gif

Hopefully he'll fill in the rest of the combinations of my username so no one else can be as childish as him in the future.

post #24 of 32
syncing between itunes and ios7 is weird. Do not install if you have hundreds of apps. Do it as a new phone, or you will just go into endless cycles of reboots.

The folder is weird too. Two issues. 1) only 9 icons. The rest gets sent to "page 2" of the folder. 2) However, when you sync from itunes to phone, itunes can only hand 12 icons in a folder, and the extras get kicked out of the folder.

And yes, it means if you do it on the phone, you can have more than 12 icons (9 on first page, the rest on second) - and it will even sync up to itunes that way. But next sync, itunes sees 12 and kicks the rest out of the folder.

I want my 4x3 icons back, damnit (though, with page 2 for folders is good).
post #25 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by noirdesir View Post

The problem with auto-joining is that a lot of heavy data usage can be limited to WiFi-only. But if the WiFi is from your cellphone provider, they might still count the data against your limit (they do with my carrier).

Does AT&T do this? If so everyone should immediately disable the "feature".

post #26 of 32
Quote:

I'm part of the skeumorphism-within-reason camp. Game-centre texture, no. Linen texture throughout the OS, for example, yes. This iOS 7 thing has no depth or texture or life to it. It's drab and sterile.

I'll stop now because I don't want to derail this thread. But this OS has no warmth to it. No charm. It has no character at all.

I guess it's like buying a house. Some people want the charm and character of an older style home, and others want a new, modern and clean design.

Can't appeal to everyone. I'm excited to try it out when it is released. The colours and icons are a little weird (esp that Safari one) but I love all the new features, so it's ok.
post #27 of 32
For a first beta it runs super slick and fast on my iPhone 5. It was a bit jarring at first but after using it for a day I really love it. Going to see how we'll it runs on 4/4S at the weekend.

Looks MUCH better on my white 5 than on my black one though.
post #28 of 32

This thread is a good example of why non-developers shouldn't be downloading the beta. They don't understand what beta means.

Wait until the final product before judging it.

post #29 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichL View Post

This thread is a good example of why non-developers shouldn't be downloading the beta. They don't understand what beta means.

Wait until the final product before judging it.
Because beta versions are not used for evaluating and sending feedback (usability as well as human interface/looks) to Apple?
post #30 of 32
Quote:

Never mind all that.

Wow! That surprises me, the demo's at the keynote looked great. But I'm not a developer so haven't downloaded the beta. If it is currently that bad I hope the final version of the new OS is well sorted and doesn't end up being PR disaster for Apple and Ive.

Edited by 1983 - 6/12/13 at 8:39am
post #31 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post

Because beta versions are not used for evaluating and sending feedback (usability as well as human interface/looks) to Apple?

Feedback/bug reports are usually submitted by authorized developers that get their beta's through Apple. Non-developers who do not get their beta's from Apple and still whine about it, are what Rich is prob going on about. Beta testing is not for everyone. Beta testers (like my self on other types of software) understand it's not "get it first" mentality. It's a let's pound on it and see if we can break it, then break down what we did to break it and send it to the creator so that they can fix it. Other feedback has to be thought out, not just "it sucks". You need to have a why, when, what, etc all broken out of your issues. Most non-developers don't have that sense, and could waste time and energy on getting items ready for release, due to not detailing. Beta testing is a JOB, not a gift of "first". And if memory serves, didn't all this "it sucks" with the UI, go around when the iPhone first came out? And see how that all turned out.

Back to subject - Will this actually be able to block/manage all these devices around you don't want to use your Hotspot?

You don't want to make me curmudgeon, you would not like me when I am curmudgeon.  I go all caps, bold, with a 72PT font and green lettering.  

You don't want to make me curmudgeon, you would not like me when I am curmudgeon.  I go all caps, bold, with a 72PT font and green lettering.  

post #32 of 32

Um, I presume there's something in this implementation that prevents a tech savvy individual from setting up one of these auto-join WiFi hot spots?  If not, things could get interesting.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › iOS 7 beta: Hotspot 2.0 support will lead to hassle-free Wi-Fi access