or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Touting Windows 8, Microsoft pokes Apple's iPad again over multitasking
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Touting Windows 8, Microsoft pokes Apple's iPad again over multitasking

post #1 of 72
Thread Starter 
Still looking to carve out a space for itself in the new wave of mobile computing, Microsoft is once again taking shots at Apple's iPad, this time pointing out Windows 8 devices' ability to handle multiple tasks at the same time.



The new ad is pushing no single device in particular, but instead focuses on the multitasking capabilities of the Windows 8 platform, which Microsoft designed to address both the needs of traditional computer users and the growing number of consumers who prefer the touch interfaces seen on tablets and smartphones. In the spot, a Windows 8 users is seen videoconferencing with his superior and at the same time checking another app for vital information, while his somewhat addled, iPad owning competitor can't do both things at the same time.

The multitasking feature Windows 8 brings to the table is relatively novel among mobile platforms, though not entirely unheard of. Apple's iPad doesn't allow users to have more than one app on screen at a time, but a number of Android device manufacturers ? including Samsung with its Galaxy Note and Galaxy S devices ? have enabled similar but more limited interfaces.

The ad is just the latest attack piece from Microsoft, which has taken to making fun of the limitations of Apple devices as the Redmond company finds itself in the unfamiliar position of trying to catch up. The PC market, a market Microsoft still dominates, isin a steep decline as smartphones and tablets grow in popularity, and Windows 8 has so far failed to reassure manufacturers that it can reverse this trend.

Microsoft launched Windows 8 with a $1 billion marketing campaign, showing off the devices of its manufacturing partners, as well as its own Surface devices alongside Windows Phone 8, also meant to make space for Windows in the smartphone and tablet computing world.

The campaign's results have been middling at best. Windows 8 tablets have grown from zero to seven percent of shipped devices, but they still lag far behind Apple, which held roughly half the tablet market in April.

As of late, Microsoft has been targeting Apple specifically, pointing out the limitations of iOS devices versus their Windows counterparts. Prior to this most recent commercial, Microsoft used Apple's digital assistant Siri to highlight iOS' multitasking limitations, painting the bestselling Apple tablet as a mere consumption and game device instead of a true platform for productivity.
post #2 of 72
Could have sworn I have been doing two things at once on my iOS devices on a regular basis. Including voice or video call while using another app - perhaps the video feed froze or I could not see the incoming video - but still if I make the effort to do a video call then the video is what I want to be looking at and if I need to check something on the web or my calendar then I can't easily be watching the video and reading something else at the same time.
post #3 of 72
Seriously. My boss never trusts what I tell him unless he has a clear view of my nostrils.

Would anyone not notice the fact that the feature the ad highlights has no practical purpose in that setting?
post #4 of 72

*yawn* Can't wait for a new Microsoft ad campaign, this one is getting old...

post #5 of 72
What is with all the advertising comparisons to the competitors. Can't they simply show what they can do rather than what they say others can't? Like voting for a president who only tells you about his competitors and nothing about himself.
post #6 of 72
Meh.
post #7 of 72
Doesn't iOS 7 let you swipe between apps? I think I'd prefer that to scrunching everything on a screen.
post #8 of 72

Has anyone noticed that Apple sells its devices like wildfires with no comparison to Windows devices? Enough said.

post #9 of 72
Microsoft's ads are as confusing as their products.
post #10 of 72

Since when does a Surface come with 4G/LTE? Oh, all bush league fields have free WI-FI, I forgot....... :)

post #11 of 72
Interesting that their guy is the schlub.
A.k.a. AppleHead on other forums.
Reply
A.k.a. AppleHead on other forums.
Reply
post #12 of 72
Radjin, Rcoleman1, ever heard of the "I'm a Mac, I'm a PC" campaign?
post #13 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabassi View Post

Radjin, Rcoleman1, ever heard of the "I'm a Mac, I'm a PC" campaign?

 

That was not comparing features or capabilities so much as the user experience. 

post #14 of 72

Wow, that was awesome! I want to get one. Wait, what product was it?

post #15 of 72

Microsoft keeps saying with these ads "Hey, don't you guys really want a tablet that is actually a computer?", but most people who are buying iPads get them because they HATE computers.

post #16 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick Roberts View Post

Microsoft keeps saying with these ads "Hey, don't you guys really want a tablet that is actually a computer?", but most people who are buying iPads get them because they HATE computers.

More specifically they hate the part of the computer that Microsoft provides - Windows.... And seemingly especially windows 8. And then Microsoft wonder why Surface isn't selling well...
post #17 of 72

Nobody dancing? He's definitely not getting the full computer experience.

post #18 of 72

All I know is that I was in a retail store the other day and tried out the Surface and while there might be a way to multitask, whatever it is is not intuitive and I kept having to hit the home button (which was not very responsive) to move to another app.   Also, the damned thing was so incredibly slow, I was ready to punch the screen.      There are certain aspects of the interface that I think are compelling - that horizontal orientation does work for certain kinds of apps, but overall, I only would have considered buying one if it had been $150 or less and even then, only to give to my 87-year-old mother to replace a barely-working old Dell that she has.

 

All of these ads, including Apple's, frequently show video calls, but in real life, how many people really make video calls and when they do so, have to access another app aside from possibly having to look up a contact or a map location?    Don't you have to be on the same platform for video calling to work?     

post #19 of 72
Microsoft make fun of Apple, who ironically are the ones laughing all the way to the bank.

go figger.
post #20 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by watashi View Post

Seriously. My boss never trusts what I tell him unless he has a clear view of my nostrils.

Would anyone not notice the fact that the feature the ad highlights has no practical purpose in that setting?

Microsoft has the "Let's throw every conceivable feature we can think of so we develop the comparison chart and have more checks on it than the competition, even though the rest of the product SUCKS"  Traditional in many industries, computer industry ESPECIALLY does this.  It's called Product Marketing 101.  They have these feature comparisons between one product and another.  It's always impressive to see a list of 20 or 30 features compared against  3 or 4 competitors and your company has all of them checked off (surprise surprise) and the competitors have only a handful. WOW, Isn't that better Mr. Customer?  We have more things checked off on OUR comparison list of features (most of them irrelevant to using the product, practical, needed, etc.) to prove to the customer that we're BETTER.  The bottom line, The Surface RT is more closely related to the iPad, only cheaper because no one is buying it and there are very few apps on the platform.  The Surface Pro is more like a netbook/Ultrabook computer that just happens to ACT like a tablet, but it's heavier, less battery life, thicker, etc. and it's just a better PC Tablet (slab) than previous revisions, but it's still not light enough, long battery life, thin, enough finger touch apps like an iPad.   Yeah, Apple's adding multi tasking, but since these screens are only so big, it doesn't have much room to play with for more apps visually on the screen.  I'm sure it might be cool for SOME things, but we're still in the "pipe dream" stage.   Microsoft and Samsung seem to be on the desperation ad attacks because Apple is still a couple of months away from iOS 7 and a new raft of iPads, iPhones, etc. being introduced, because once Apple makes their public releases, it's a feeding frenzy and Samsung and Microsoft become irrelevant, AGAIN.

post #21 of 72
I haven't liked their previous ads, but this one does get to me. I find it annoying to hold a video call on my iPad or iPhone and have to stop looking at the person or the other person sees me frozen because I'm looking for other stuff. I think if they added an API or something that would let you have a small square (like you can do on Skype for OS X) it would be great.
post #22 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexmarrero View Post

I haven't liked their previous ads, but this one does get to me. I find it annoying to hold a video call on my iPad or iPhone and have to stop looking at the person or the other person sees me frozen because I'm looking for other stuff. I think if they added an API or something that would let you have a small square (like you can do on Skype for OS X) it would be great.

I see no reason for the video chat at all here.  The audio is more than adequate unless the "scout" is going to show video of the player in action.  Also, it is interesting to note that the Windows 8 "scout" has way most stuff to carry around than the iPad "scout".   Why is that I wonder?

post #23 of 72

This ad reminded me to go buy an iPad

Help! I'm trapped in a white dungeon of amazing precision and impeccable tolerances!

Reply

Help! I'm trapped in a white dungeon of amazing precision and impeccable tolerances!

Reply
post #24 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexmarrero View Post

I haven't liked their previous ads, but this one does get to me. I find it annoying to hold a video call on my iPad or iPhone and have to stop looking at the person or the other person sees me frozen because I'm looking for other stuff. I think if they added an API or something that would let you have a small square (like you can do on Skype for OS X) it would be great.

Notice how Apple hasn't shown the iPad version of iOS 7? Hmmmmmmmm... They are adding Multitasking to iOS 7, so this ad maybe completely irrelevant in two months or so.

post #25 of 72

Microsoft is Microsoft and will never understand what consumers want or need. This continual insistence that every portable device has every feature and connection as desktops is what has earned them the marketshare they have. 

post #26 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by drblank View Post
It's always impressive to see a list of 20 or 30 features compared against  3 or 4 competitors and your company has all of them checked off (surprise surprise) and the competitors have only a handful. WOW, Isn't that better Mr. Customer?  We have more things checked off on OUR comparison list of features (most of them irrelevant to using the product, practical, needed, etc.) to prove to the customer that we're BETTER.  

 

I like what you said here, and yet, highest consumer satisfaction, or most used product, still alludes their checkmark. 

post #27 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsd View Post

Nobody dancing? He's definitely not getting the full computer experience.

 

Does break dancing count?

 

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #28 of 72
@ash471

You can use 4 fingers to swipe from left to right to go to previous app. And swipe right to left after that. It worked as back and forward like in a browser. This is actually in iOS 6.
post #29 of 72
Let me get this straight.

I can make a video call at the same time that I can browse www.apple.com to buy a proper tablet?

That's pretty handy...
Apple Products: So good that their ‘faulty' products outsell competitor’s faultless ones...
Reply
Apple Products: So good that their ‘faulty' products outsell competitor’s faultless ones...
Reply
post #30 of 72

Swipe left with 4 fingers...swipe right with 4 fingers. 

 

Simple enough...

post #31 of 72
Farva?
post #32 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by ash471 View Post

Doesn't iOS 7 let you swipe between apps? I think I'd prefer that to scrunching everything on a screen.
iOS 6 let's you use 4 fingers to swipe from one app to another. So Clearly that is a fast way to switch apps.
post #33 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Getz View Post

Microsoft is Microsoft and will never understand what consumers want or need. This continual insistence that every portable device has every feature and connection as desktops is what has earned them the marketshare they have. 

Why in principle would functionality from desktop operating systems drive consumers away? Of course people don't want to operate a interface designed for a mouse and keyboard with their fingers, which is the experience windows tablets used to inflict on users. But as long as the tablet has a touch-optimized interface, how could, say, the option to work with two programs simultaneously hurt marketshare?


Edited by d4NjvRzf - 7/9/13 at 8:54pm
post #34 of 72
post #35 of 72

It's never a matter of what these devices can do, but rather how well they do it.

 

And as a Windows 8 user, the dual window touch interface is not all that good, while the task switching gesture of the iPad is quicker and more intuitive.

post #36 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radjin View Post

What is with all the advertising comparisons to the competitors. Can't they simply show what they can do rather than what they say others can't? Like voting for a president who only tells you about his competitors and nothing about himself.

"Hi! I'm a Mac."

post #37 of 72
Most ridiculous ad ever. Also... it doesn't even work the way they show.... the guy obviously had stats already pulled up. Microsoft never zooms in on the screen in ads so you can actually see how things work. It a lot of fancy smoke n mirrors marketing for a feature nobody cares about or would ever use.
post #38 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoetmb View Post

All I know is that I was in a retail store the other day and tried out the Surface and while there might be a way to multitask, whatever it is is not intuitive and I kept having to hit the home button (which was not very responsive) to move to another app.   Also, the damned thing was so incredibly slow, I was ready to punch the screen.      

It was probably running a virus scan.

Or you need to run CCleaner to clean out temp-files and other junk.

1biggrin.gif
post #39 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dontuwish View Post

Since when does a Surface come with 4G/LTE? Oh, all bush league fields have free WI-FI, I forgot....... :)

The tablet used was a Dell XPS 10 LTE, it's a crappy RT tablet, I would much more prefer the Dell Latitude 10 with the removable battery and full Windows 8.

 

When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
post #40 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Getz View Post

 

I like what you said here, and yet, highest consumer satisfaction, or most used product, still alludes their checkmark. 

Well since this is Dell product, they rank number 2 after Apple in customer satisfaction and number 1 in Enterprise satisfaction.

When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
  • Touting Windows 8, Microsoft pokes Apple's iPad again over multitasking
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Touting Windows 8, Microsoft pokes Apple's iPad again over multitasking