or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Official with Japan's NTT DoCoMo fuels speculation that carrier will offer Apple's iPhone
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official with Japan's NTT DoCoMo fuels speculation that carrier will offer Apple's iPhone

post #1 of 35
Thread Starter 
Comments made by an executive with NTT DoCoMo, Japan's largest wireless carrier, have suggested a deal to carry Apple's iPhone could be inked in the near future.

docomologo


Kazuto Tsubouchi, chief financial officer of DoCoMo, said in an interview with SankeiBiz that although a deal has not yet been reached with Apple, he believes it would make good business sense for his company to do so. He added that it would be difficult to arrange something by Sept. 10, the day Apple is expected to hold a media event to unveil its new iPhone lineup.

The arrival of the iPhone on DoCoMo has been highly anticipated, as the carrier is the largest wireless provider in Japan. In the interview, Tsubouchi suggested that his company is ready to strike a deal with Apple.

The sentiment expressed by the carrier's CFO is a significant change in tone from previous comments made by DoCoMo. A representative for the company said in June that DoCoMo was in no rush to reach a deal with Apple, as the iPhone is no longer "the god of all smartphones."

A major sticking point between the two companies is said to be Apple's refusal to allow carrier partners to preinstall applications and services on the iPhone. DoCoMo has been focused on developing a "lifestyle system" which requires certain software to come installed on the phones it sells.

Pressure has been mounting on DoCoMo, as market watchers believe the carrier must forge a deal with Apple if the company is to retain its place as the top carrier in Japan. NTT DoCoMo has about 60 million subscribers.
post #2 of 35
wow ! Don't sell my aapl now as it at least worth $650 if all rumors are true .
post #3 of 35
Considering the same company recently decided to stop carrying the GS4, this would be decent win for Apple.
post #4 of 35
An extra 10M phones?
post #5 of 35

Thats nice news imo, if Apple gets Docomo and China Mobile it will have a significant impact on sales and profits.

 

imo Japanese most likely hate corean companies who are hitting Japan tech pretty hard. If Apple comes out with Sharp IGZO panels it could help drive sales in Japan because some of the panels are coming out of a Japanese company.


Edited by herbapou - 8/26/13 at 6:36am
post #6 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

Thats nice news imo, if Apple gets Docomo and China Mobile it will have a significant impact on sales and profits.

imo Japanese most likely hate corean companies who are hitting Japan tech pretty hard. If Apple comes out with Sharp IGZO panels it could help drive sales in Japan because some of the panels are coming out of a Japanese company.

Apple has no need to -- indeed, should not -- start giving sops to different markets based on what pleases those markets as 'local' content.
post #7 of 35
Please let this rumor be true. The Japanese really like the iPhone regardless of what the iHating pundits say. I don't necessarily think Apple's share price will soar because of this but it will certainly help boost market share and revenue and Apple may continue to raise its dividends every year. I don't trust those lousy hedge funds to value Apple fairly because those idiots only talk about Steve Jobs death and Apple's falling market share. Considering the idiots running those hedge funds who think Google is a far better company to invest in than Apple, they just can't be relied upon for boosting Apple's share price based on any fundamentals.
post #8 of 35
if someone owns Apple stock, I would hold em. If you bought them at a price that's substantially higher than the current market price, maybe buying more and doing dollar cost averaging might be the solution.

Once they sign on DoCoMo and China Mobile, it's going to increase iPhone sales. Tremendously.
post #9 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by muadibe View Post

Considering the same company recently decided to stop carrying the GS4, this would be decent win for Apple.

Did a search and could not find any mention of NTT no longer carrying the SGS 4. Do you have a link to backup your claim?
"I got the answer by talking in my brain and I agreed of the answer my brain got" a 7 yr old explaining his math HW
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"I got the answer by talking in my brain and I agreed of the answer my brain got" a 7 yr old explaining his math HW
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #10 of 35

Remember how that guy from Betanews(Joe Wilcox?) just KNEW how Verizon would put Apple in its place by forcing the Verizon logo and app preloads on the iPhone. How did that strategy work out?

post #11 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by muadibe View Post

Considering the same company recently decided to stop carrying the GS4, this would be decent win for Apple.

Did a search and could not find any mention of NTT no longer carrying the SGS 4. Do you have a link to backup your claim?

Are you in the competitive intelligence (for Samsung) business?

Just curious.
post #12 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post


Did a search and could not find any mention of NTT no longer carrying the SGS 4. Do you have a link to backup your claim?

http://www.electronista.com/articles/13/08/14/ntt.docomo.dumps.slow.selling.galaxy.s4.from.winter.range/

post #13 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Are you in the competitive intelligence (for Samsung) business?

Just curious.

Not at all. I just don't go around believing anyone's claims, and before mindlessly asking for a link I searched it myself and found zero proof but I believe that absence of evidence isn't evidence of absence.
"I got the answer by talking in my brain and I agreed of the answer my brain got" a 7 yr old explaining his math HW
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"I got the answer by talking in my brain and I agreed of the answer my brain got" a 7 yr old explaining his math HW
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #14 of 35
"I got the answer by talking in my brain and I agreed of the answer my brain got" a 7 yr old explaining his math HW
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"I got the answer by talking in my brain and I agreed of the answer my brain got" a 7 yr old explaining his math HW
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #15 of 35
No, Apple doesn't need Docomo. Docomo needs iPhone. They were stubborn and held their noses high for 5 years because they wanted to put their unneeded iMode shit on the phone and Apple refuses to degrade the experience that way. No crappy software made by docomo is going to be as gorgeous and well thought out as Apple software. And AU and SoftBank are both selling iPhone. It would ease network conditions if Docomo took on the iPhone but people who have held out for 5 years for Docomo to carry iPhone are getting sick of waiting. That's why Docomo is stirring the coals before a new iPhone release. People will be thinking to switch carriers for the new phone.
post #16 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post
I believe that absence of evidence isn't evidence of absence.

Hmm.... I guess that also goes for your answer to my question.....1wink.gif

post #17 of 35
post #18 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Hmm.... I guess that also goes for your answer to my question.....1wink.gif

What part of 'not at all' didn't answer your question?
"I got the answer by talking in my brain and I agreed of the answer my brain got" a 7 yr old explaining his math HW
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"I got the answer by talking in my brain and I agreed of the answer my brain got" a 7 yr old explaining his math HW
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #19 of 35

Thanks as well. Surprised I missed it, I visit electronista quite a bit.
"I got the answer by talking in my brain and I agreed of the answer my brain got" a 7 yr old explaining his math HW
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"I got the answer by talking in my brain and I agreed of the answer my brain got" a 7 yr old explaining his math HW
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #20 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

Thats nice news imo, if Apple gets Docomo and China Mobile it will have a significant impact on sales and profits.

 

Agreed. While most pundits/analysts tend to focus on overall worldwide numbers, they keep on missing the point that Apple isn't even available from some of the largest carriers in the world.

Docomo is one carrier, China Mobile may be the biggest fish yet. Along with that, India hasn't even begun to be tapped yet by Apple.

Your last phrase above in bold, may be the biggest understatement of this decade.

post #21 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

What part of 'not at all' didn't answer your question?

All of it.

post #22 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

All of it.

Well a negative can't be proven so the burden of proof falls on you.
"I got the answer by talking in my brain and I agreed of the answer my brain got" a 7 yr old explaining his math HW
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"I got the answer by talking in my brain and I agreed of the answer my brain got" a 7 yr old explaining his math HW
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #23 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

An extra 10M phones?

 

yeah, and when Apple gets off their rear end and spits out a large screen phone, that will increase the yearly sales another 50% from that.  It's better than not having the business.  China Mobile is the big fish to go after, but DoCoMo is certainly a carrier to go after.  It will at least neutralize the Android market share numbers.

post #24 of 35
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post
Well a negative can't be proven so the burden of proof falls on you.


Of course it can. I can prove there weren't any assault rifles in use during the Civil War, for example.

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply
post #25 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post


Of course it can. I can prove there weren't any assault rifles in use during the Civil War, for example.

That's not a negative, that's a zero and which can be proven.
"I got the answer by talking in my brain and I agreed of the answer my brain got" a 7 yr old explaining his math HW
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"I got the answer by talking in my brain and I agreed of the answer my brain got" a 7 yr old explaining his math HW
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #26 of 35
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post
That's not a negative, that's a zero and which can be proven.

 

1oyvey.gif

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply
post #27 of 35
For some reason I have a feeling that a partnership with DoMoCo is more likely than China Mobile at this point.

You can see the desperation in this particular guys words. China Mobile doesn't have the same desperation for the iPhone.

I'm hoping I'm wrong but I guess Apple would probably be happy to sell iPhones with either or both at this point.
post #28 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

1oyvey.gif

None existed which is zero, easy to prove. Now let's say that you claim that I'm a paid shill, I couldn't prove that I'm not (a negative) because there wouldn't be any positive evidence so you would have to prove that I am (a positive) because there would be positive evidence.
"I got the answer by talking in my brain and I agreed of the answer my brain got" a 7 yr old explaining his math HW
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"I got the answer by talking in my brain and I agreed of the answer my brain got" a 7 yr old explaining his math HW
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #29 of 35
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post
I couldn't prove that I'm not

 

Then you're not really trying, are you? Of course you can.

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply
post #30 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Then you're not really trying, are you? Of course you can.

I wouldn't have to, if one makes a claim it's on them to prove it not the other party to disprove it.
"I got the answer by talking in my brain and I agreed of the answer my brain got" a 7 yr old explaining his math HW
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"I got the answer by talking in my brain and I agreed of the answer my brain got" a 7 yr old explaining his math HW
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #31 of 35
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post
I wouldn't have to, if one makes a claim it's on them to prove it not the other party to disprove it.

 

Wonder why so many pretend otherwise, then. Like you in the other thread.

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply
post #32 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Wonder why so many pretend otherwise, then. Like you in the other thread.

How does one pretend no to? Because I mention a competitor's device? You do a great job mentioning Android whenever a article has nothing to do with it, one could easily accuse you of it.
"I got the answer by talking in my brain and I agreed of the answer my brain got" a 7 yr old explaining his math HW
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"I got the answer by talking in my brain and I agreed of the answer my brain got" a 7 yr old explaining his math HW
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #33 of 35
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post
You do a great job mentioning Android whenever a article has nothing to do with it, one could easily accuse you of it.

 

1. Nope.

2. That's not anywhere near the same thing as what we're discussing.

 

Come off it.

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply
post #34 of 35

Dunno. I am using Docomo on an unlocked 4S here in Japan and I have not been impressed with their overall service.  NTT's LTE plan is way too expensive for ordinary calls, which I often do to contact the office. Of course I don't get LTE speed on the 4S but coverage is average at best, absolutely terrible in some places, and certainly no worse than Softbank here in Tokyo.

 

Not having the iPhone might be some reason for NTT's declining subscriptions, but I think it is mostly because of their overpriced, lazy service.

post #35 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomato201 View Post

Dunno. I am using Docomo on an unlocked 4S here in Japan and I have not been impressed with their overall service.  NTT's LTE plan is way too expensive for ordinary calls, which I often do to contact the office. Of course I don't get LTE speed on the 4S but coverage is average at best, absolutely terrible in some places, and certainly no worse than Softbank here in Tokyo.

 

Not having the iPhone might be some reason for NTT's declining subscriptions, but I think it is mostly because of their overpriced, lazy service.

I'm on AU and coverage where I go in Tokyo is really unreliable, while people around me on Softbank and Docomo are fine. Bad luck, I guess. I wouldn't mind trying a Docomo 5S but NTT will have to hurry to get my money because when that baby comes out I'm not going to wait. They've had years to get this, after all.

 

For high call rates, by the way, these guys helped save me money. Got minimum minutes on AU and route calls through this company instead. I do make a lot of calls outside Tokyo though. YMMV: http://www.worldlink-tel.com/eintro.html

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Official with Japan's NTT DoCoMo fuels speculation that carrier will offer Apple's iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Official with Japan's NTT DoCoMo fuels speculation that carrier will offer Apple's iPhone