or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple may release iOS 7 on Sept. 10, according to Nuance email

Apple may release iOS 7 on Sept. 10, according to Nuance email

post #1 of 33
An email sent to developers from speech recognition software company Nuance on Monday suggests iOS 7 could be available to the public on Sept. 10, the same day Apple is widely expected to announce its next-generation iPhone.

Nuance Email
Source: Owened

The email, posted to the Web by Owened (via The Verge), is seemingly meant for members of Nuance's NDEV Program who are using SpeechKit 1.4.5 speech services.

Technology from Nuance was recently confirmed to be part of the Siri voice-recognizing assistant, meaning the company works closely with Apple and could be privy to upcoming launch information.

There is, however, some confusion over the email's use of iOS 7 "GA," which means general availability, a term often confused with "GM," or golden master. Traditionally, Apple has released GM versions of iOS to developers alongside a new iPhone's release, with the GA rolling out a week later.

Apple is expected to announce both a next-generation "iPhone 5S" and a lower-cost "iPhone 5C" at a special event on Sept. 10.
post #2 of 33
If so, then Apple needs to fix the numerous bugs still present in both iOS 7 beta and Xcode 5 before then.
post #3 of 33
Something tells me that someone is about to not being working for Nuance. Hope it was worth it

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

post #4 of 33
The Sept 10 release date isn't covered by the Apple Developer NDA, right? Right??? Apple has publicly acknowledged that date, right??? Oops...

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #5 of 33
I would guess some Apple leaks are engineered by Apple & their partners, kind of like a Janet Jackson wardrobe malfunction.
post #6 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

The Sept 10 release date isn't covered by the Apple Developer NDA, right? Right??? Apple has publicly acknowledged that date, right??? Oops...

Yeah someone must have already thought that date was widely known judging by how the note was worded.

Anyway, I'm thinking September 10th will be the GM, which makes sense since Nuance is referencing developers with this note. The wide release of iOS 7 will probably coincide with the iPhone launch.

post #7 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everett Ruess View Post

I would guess some Apple leaks are engineered by Apple & their partners, kind of like a Janet Jackson wardrobe malfunction.

I know that the opinions about iOS 7's design differ (IMHO it clearly isn't anywhere finished, but I guess it will come out anyhow, maybe the GM is next), but the comparison with deflated bicycle tubes is inappropriate.

post #8 of 33
Quote:

Not yet, but if they want people to travel distances to be there, one would think they would announce it no later than two weeks early (tomorrow).
post #9 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtamesis View Post

If so, then Apple needs to fix the numerous bugs still present in both iOS 7 beta and Xcode 5 before then.

I hope you've sent in feedback to Apple, since we can't do anything about it here.  Thanks!

post #10 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everett Ruess View Post

You mean that Apple and their partners engineered Janet Jackson's wardrobe malfunction?  Really?    OMG.    /s

post #11 of 33
Quote:

Give it a rest will you.
post #12 of 33
Quote:

Well, the ADC NDA is not really relevant here, as regular developers have not been informed about a GM or GA date either, so there is really nothing they could violate in this regard.

Nuance, as a party that is providing a component of iOS / Siri might have more information (even if I do not really see why that would be required, but Apple does give more information to some parties and we don't know their NDAs). It could just be simple speculation based on the semi-confirmed announcement date. Anyhow, since Jim Dalrymple has confirmed the 10th of September (and certainly with Apple's blessing), there is really no big secret left here.

I did not quite get the part of the article speculating about a confusion between GA and GM... For developers using SpeechKit the GA date is crucial, because they have to time their app submissions accordingly, the GM date is secondary.

post #13 of 33
Quote:

You do realize that the builds Apple seed to the public are fairly behind that which they seed internally don't you?

post #14 of 33
I'm super excited to get iOS 7 on all my devices then parse through all unsupported apps that are overdue for deletion.
post #15 of 33

Oh well, then it's time I install iOS 6.

iOS 5  is getting boring, it works so well!

post #16 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshA View Post

Oh well, then it's time I install iOS 6.

iOS 5  is getting boring, it works so well!

Each version is better and faster than the previous one.  Unless you are on crazy old hardware, it's pretty foolish not to update.  

post #17 of 33
I'll be surprised if they skip to GA without another beta. It doesn't seem like it's quite ready yet. There's still some buggy stuff going on in the current one.
post #18 of 33
The sooner the better.
post #19 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feynman View Post

You do realize that the builds Apple seed to the public are fairly behind that which they seed internally don't you?

Of course I do, but if they want apps to be ready for iOS 7 when it gets released, then they need to work overtime to give us a reliable build of Xcode, which is still currently in Developer Preview. September 10 is not that far away if that really is the release date.

post #20 of 33
If iOS 7 is out on the 10th that would mean a same day release for iphone 5s surely. If that's true of course...
post #21 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feynman View Post

no it isn't. Why would they do that? They would lose a week of testing and wouldn't test the later builds at all. What devs get on Monday passed tests on Friday.

As far as I read this Nuance is saying they are releasing an iOS 7 version of their software to GA on the 10th which is for test. 
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
post #22 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by quinney View Post

Not yet, but if they want people to travel distances to be there, one would think they would announce it no later than two weeks early (tomorrow).

One would think?   You mean 'YOU' are thinking.    

Two weeks?   Generous.

Wanting 'people' to travel... hardly... Apple product announcements are not for the masses, but for the media, who are 'paid' to travel.  There is no convenience factor.

The 'persons' they want there in the front row (the pre-reviewers, the Mossbergs, the Pogues, BoD members, key co-presenters,  maybe even the Grubers) are already aware of when and where.  The general press corps, well, Apple expects them to pay full fare, and have September and October blocked out for Apple's whim.

post #23 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbook View Post

Yeah someone must have already thought that date was widely known judging by how the note was worded.

Anyway, I'm thinking September 10th will be the GM, which makes sense since Nuance is referencing developers with this note. The wide release of iOS 7 will probably coincide with the iPhone launch.

Likely a couple days before, if memory serves

iOS 4 was released 3 days before the 4.

iOS 5 was released 2 days before the 4s

iOS 6 was released 2 days before the iPhone 5

If announced on the 10th, one would assume pre-orders to occur 3-10 days later, and shipments/store-sales 7 days after that.

So, assuming the 10th... figure iOS7 is released  either the 17th/18th  or 24th/25th, the days the iPhone 5s 'sprout wings'

post #24 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOtherGeoff View Post

Likely a couple days before, if memory serves

iOS 4 was released 3 days before the 4.

iOS 5 was released 2 days before the 4s

iOS 6 was released 2 days before the iPhone 5

If announced on the 10th, one would assume pre-orders to occur 3-10 days later, and shipments/store-sales 7 days after that.

So, assuming the 10th... figure iOS7 is released  either the 17th/18th  or 24th/25th, the days the iPhone 5s 'sprout wings'

Or.... radical thought. They could decouple software and hardware releases. 

post #25 of 33
Here is a radical thought - GA = General Announcement???

Even for them to say, Available Today... at the sept 10th event. So what, it's their decision, not anyone else's.

So if people keep saying their are bugs... report them and Apple will fix. Funny how that works. But if it is even 90% or more done and stable, they will release. If it is something that most of the general public can do without right off, they will release.

Bugs can be fixed with, oh boy wait for it... patches/updates ... :)

You don't want to make me curmudgeon, you would not like me when I am curmudgeon.  I go all caps, bold, with a 72PT font and green lettering.  

You don't want to make me curmudgeon, you would not like me when I am curmudgeon.  I go all caps, bold, with a 72PT font and green lettering.  

post #26 of 33
Quote:

There will always be some bugs. iOS6 still has some and it's been out for a year. Getting it out to the masses is how we find and squash more. It's tech - it's never done.

It's only after you've lost everything that you're free to do anything.

Tyler Durden | Fight Club

post #27 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkBlade View Post

Here is a radical thought - GA = General Announcement???

Even for them to say, Available Today... at the sept 10th event. So what, it's their decision, not anyone else's.

So if people keep saying their are bugs... report them and Apple will fix. Funny how that works. But if it is even 90% or more done and stable, they will release. If it is something that most of the general public can do without right off, they will release.

Bugs can be fixed with, oh boy wait for it... patches/updates ... :)

Theres a level of bugs you don't want to issue your software with and iOS 7 is there or there a bouts

post #28 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

Theres a level of bugs you don't want to issue your software with and iOS 7 is there or there a bouts

I think a lot of those bugs will disappear once developers start pushing out iOS7 undated apps. Most of the issues I'm having with the iPhone version is the apps crashing but they haven't released the optimized versions of most apps yet. The iPad one still has issues (I have a persisting issue with screen orientation) but we still have time for that release as that won't be out till October.

post #29 of 33
Originally Posted by virtua View Post
If iOS 7 is out on the 10th that would mean a same day release for iphone 5s surely.

No, that's not what it means.

post #30 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunks View Post

I'm super excited to get iOS 7 on all my devices then parse through all unsupported apps that are overdue for deletion.

And Mavericks not far behind ... both are amazing.

In iOS 7 I've only had one app with an issue in recent updates, and in Mavericks nothing I have doesn't work great other than a few utilities and in my case those companies supported me with beta updates anyway that worked fine. So all looking good. Only Good Reader has a stupid issue in iOS 7 and they refuse a beta update to Apple Developers.
Edited by digitalclips - 8/27/13 at 1:40pm
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
"Google doesn't sell you anything, they just sell you!"
Long on AAPL so biased
post #31 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

No, that's not what it means.

I love your terseness (is that even a word?) ... I bet if asked 'could you pass the salt?', you'd say, 'yes I could' ... 1wink.gif
Long on AAPL so biased
Long on AAPL so biased
post #32 of 33
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post
I love your terseness (is that even a word?)...

Yep.

I bet if asked 'could you pass the salt?', you'd say, 'yes I could' ... 1wink.gif

I could, or will the salt pass you?

I apparently come to conclusions that many don't and quickly, within my head. I get confused sometimes why people don't agree with me and my shorter answers; I guess it's that.

post #33 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Yep.

I could, or will the salt pass you?

I apparently come to conclusions that many don't and quickly, within my head. I get confused sometimes why people don't agree with me and my shorter answers; I guess it's that.

Didn't feel terse to me 1smile.gif

Time will tell ;p
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple may release iOS 7 on Sept. 10, according to Nuance email