or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Windows 8 jumps past Apple's OS X with 7.4% market share
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Windows 8 jumps past Apple's OS X with 7.4% market share - Page 2

post #41 of 73
Originally Posted by Banyan Bruce View Post
It would be very interesting if OSX was able to run on PC/Laptop platforms and was promoted as such.

 

Terrible, you mean, not interesting.


Originally Posted by Smallwheels View Post

What could they do with a less powerful home desktop unit that is much more powerful than a Mac Mini?

 

It's called the iMac.

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply
post #42 of 73
Am I the only one who thinks that the World is SCREAMING THE NEED for a cheaper iMac "C" and MacBook "C"? Something in the $599 range to get people into the OSX ecosystem? This is needed NOW or Windows 8.1 and Google Chrome / Android will flood the PC market and then spill over into tablets, potentially repeating the 1980's.
post #43 of 73
Originally Posted by stewartS View Post
Am I the only one who thinks that the World is SCREAMING THE NEED for a cheaper iMac "C" and MacBook "C"?


Yes.


Something in the $599 range to get people into the OSX ecosystem?

 

"We don't know how to make a $500 computer that isn't crap." Because $500 computers are inherently crap.


This is needed NOW or Windows 8.1 and Google Chrome / Android will flood the PC market and then spill over into tablets, potentially repeating the 1980's.

 

Utter nonsense. Windows 8 is universally hated. Chrome laptops are useless for absolutely everything. And Android doesn't even work on a phone; how could it work on a computer?

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply
post #44 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by GadgetCanadaV2 View Post

PC sales are dying. Consumers are realizing an appliance like the iPad does everything they need.

you did see that that same reports has 86% of the people going online on a Computer right?

post #45 of 73
It's only because all the kids are headed back to school and are buying laptops. Poor people forced into using windows 8. I would downgrade to 7 as soon as possible if I bought one.
post #46 of 73

^ When it comes to efficiency, Windows 8 is quite an improvement over Windows 7.  The cause for all of the Windows 8 hate came from the UI, which felt like it was still a work in progress. 

 

Just another example of Microsoft rushing a 'beta product' to market.

 

Fortunately, Windows 8.1 has fixed a number of issues with Windows 8, and will be coming as a free update to all Windows 8 users on Oct. 17th.

 

Windows 8.1 has the potential to take off in the tablet market. This is going under the assumption that Bay Trail and Haswell Y-Series devices are properly priced and marketed.

post #47 of 73
Net Application methodology explained

What is country level weighting, and why do you do it?
The Net Market Share data is weighted by country. We compare our traffic to the CIA Internet Traffic by Country table, and weight our data accordingly. For example, if our global data shows that Brazil represents 2% of our traffic, and the CIA table shows Brazil to represent 4% of global Internet traffic, we will count each unique visitor from Brazil twice. This is done to balance out our global data. All regions have differing markets, and if our traffic were concentrated in one or more regions, our global data would be inappropriately affected by those regions. Country level weighting removes any bias by region.

What is a daily unique visitor, and why do you count those instead of pageviews?
Net Market Share data is an aggregation the traffic of all of our HitsLink clients, but instead of counting pageviews we count daily unique visitors. A daily unique visitor is counted only once per day per website we track, regardless of the number of pageviews the visitor has. While this may seem to greatly reduce our sample size from the billions of monthly pageviews we process to only the daily unique visitors, we do so to provide a more accurate picture of market share showing the number of users of a technology instead of the number of clicks. Counting unique visitors also renders bots designed to influence market share harmless. Counting pageviews for market share reports would be susceptible to bot attacks and inexplicable jumps in market share that don't represent the true nature of the market.

If you need more information here it is http://www.netmarketshare.com/faq.aspx#Methodology
post #48 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by diddy View Post

I don't get this...  On the mac, there are no box makers since everything is made by Apple - there are no other box makers.

Apple does not give other manufacturers an option to preinstall OSX, maybe..?
post #49 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post


Utter nonsense. Windows 8 is universally hated. Chrome laptops are useless for absolutely everything. And Android doesn't even work on a phone; how could it work on a computer?

Not necessarily. Windows 8 is hated by most vocal part of forums' dwellers... but in real world, it is not that bad. Most Windows 8 users that I know are quite happy with it. Granted, most Windows 7 users are not inspired to upgrade - but among those who did (or purchased new machine with 8 preinstalled), level of satisfaction seems to be significantly higher than what you could expect from various forum discussions.
post #50 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Terrible, you mean, not interesting.

I'm sure it wouldn't be a good idea, but it would be interesting for many. People find lots of bad ideas interesting.
post #51 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by stewartS View Post

Am I the only one who thinks that the World is SCREAMING THE NEED for a cheaper iMac "C" and MacBook "C"? Something in the $599 range to get people into the OSX ecosystem? This is needed NOW or Windows 8.1 and Google Chrome / Android will flood the PC market and then spill over into tablets, potentially repeating the 1980's.

 

Buy this from the Apple Store and join the OSX ecosystem for $549 -->

http://store.apple.com/us/product/FC816LL/A/refurbished-mac-mini-25ghz-dual-core-intel-core-i5

Unless of course, your real intention for posting was to say "It's like the 1980s all over again!"

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #52 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbit View Post

It's only because all the kids are headed back to school and are buying laptops. Poor people forced into using windows 8. I would downgrade to 7 as soon as possible if I bought one.

 

Not necessarily "poor people."

Steve Ballmer won't let his kids buy Apple laptops, so there are some wealthy people forced into using windows 8. lol.gif

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #53 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by GadgetCanadaV2 View Post

PC sales are dying. Consumers are realizing an appliance like the iPad does everything they need.

While the PC market is contracting, by about 10% annually, 300M+ PC's are sold every year. Tablets are Smartphones are taking on more traditional computing tasks, but PC's and Mac's are still a viable market. Consumers and Businesses are pushing upgrade cycles from 3-5 years to 5-7 years. I hope Apple will become more agressive in pricing Macintosh in the future. My 7 year old MacBook Pro is waiting to be upgraded 1smile.gif
post #54 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post


Yes.

 

"We don't know how to make a $500 computer that isn't crap." Because $500 computers are inherently crap.

 

Utter nonsense. Windows 8 is universally hated. Chrome laptops are useless for absolutely everything. And Android doesn't even work on a phone; how could it work on a computer?

You really have NO clue what you're talking about.  If Apple made an $800 tower PC it would DOMINATE.  The all-in-one model is terrible, which is why Apple sells so few iMacs.  If they would just make a regular desktop they could easily capture the business market.  Why they continue to make an un-upgradeable, piece of junk iMac is beyond me.  Business users never have a need to upgrade their monitors, because those never change.  They just swap out PC hardware for $500 a pop.  But, because of Apple's stupid design choices, you don't have that option with an iMac.  Because of that, they will never penetrate into the corporate market, and there will always be a Microsoft.  

post #55 of 73
Originally Posted by Freshmaker View Post
You really have NO clue what you're talking about.

 

Then you're claiming neither does Apple, because I'm saying exactly what they've said.


If Apple made an $800 tower PC it would DOMINATE.

 

No, it wouldn't.

 

Quote:
The all-in-one model is terrible, which is why Apple sells so few iMacs.

 

Total lies. iMacs are their best-selling desktops. Your reasoning is also disproven by every other manufacturer also moving to all-in-one models.


If they would just make a regular desktop they could easily capture the business market.

 

Except that's obviously not true.


Why they continue to make an un-upgradeable, piece of junk iMac is beyond me.

 

Yet they still do. But OBVIOUSLY I—and Apple—are wrong and you're right. 1oyvey.gif1rolleyes.gif


Business users never have a need to upgrade their monitors, because those never change.  They just swap out PC hardware for $500 a pop.

 

Funny. And yet you claim Apple should make an $800 computer instead of the… what, $600 they ALREADY MAKE AND SELL, WHICH WOULD BE EXACTLY WHAT YOU CLAIM IS NEEDED.


…there will always be a Microsoft.  

 

A "Microsoft", maybe, but not Microsoft.

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply
post #56 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by racingbull View Post

What's so surprising: apple positioned itself as premium consumer computer, almost abandoned the premium pro segment, and never intended to compete in the enterprise market. The latter 2 may see significant improvements with Cook. At least, I'm hoping.

There are quite a number of Apple MacBooks being used in Enterprise. However a lot of those are running Windows 7 instead of OSX. 

post #57 of 73

or you could stop whining, download ClassicShell or Start8.. and then enjoy the actual non-Metro benefits of Windows 8 such as speed, security and a re-designed shell for the desktop OS. I got Start8, and I would never downgrade to Windows 7. Windows 8 has so much else to offer other than the hated Metro UI.
 

post #58 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikon133 View Post


Not necessarily. Windows 8 is hated by most vocal part of forums' dwellers... but in real world, it is not that bad. Most Windows 8 users that I know are quite happy with it. Granted, most Windows 7 users are not inspired to upgrade - but among those who did (or purchased new machine with 8 preinstalled), level of satisfaction seems to be significantly higher than what you could expect from various forum discussions.

 

this is definitely so true. I'm a student working at Best Buy right now in Computer Sales. Most customers do not hate Windows 8 as much as you think. As soon as I show them the "Desktop" tile or just show them Start8 or ClassicShell as an option to restore the Win7 interface, they are sold immediately. There are so many benefits to Windows 8 if you can just tweak some default program settings and ignore the Metro menus.

post #59 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by karmadave View Post


While the PC market is contracting, by about 10% annually, 300M+ PC's are sold every year. Tablets are Smartphones are taking on more traditional computing tasks, but PC's and Mac's are still a viable market. Consumers and Businesses are pushing upgrade cycles from 3-5 years to 5-7 years. I hope Apple will become more agressive in pricing Macintosh in the future. My 7 year old MacBook Pro is waiting to be upgraded 1smile.gif

Sometimes when someone says "PC sales are dying," they are meaning desktop PC sales are what is being thinned out, and that segment is hurting badly. 

 

Portable computers are doing reasonably well, with Apple MacBooks (running Windows) doing a good portion of that along with the iPad. You must have the same vintage MBP that I have...seven years and running like a champ. It's a pain because I can't upgrade the OS to a new enough version to sync it with my iMac, iPad and iPhone, but I get by fine by sharing the iMac and MBP on a network and moving docs as needed.

 

As far as aggressive pricing is concerned, the MBP is priced very well compared to other reliable laptops desired by enterprise. It's the MBA that is really cleaning up in enterprise as it's priced right while having specs that beat the Win competition. 

 

Like you, I've been waiting to upgrade my MBP but I think I'll opt for a MBA instead... love the lightness and the specs are much better then initially.

post #60 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

They do until April 2014. Then custom support only for $200 per year per machine through 2017

That is actually false, Microsoft ends all support in April of 2014.  Window XP SP3 is currently on extended support phase and that ends in April of 2014.

post #61 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post


1. Why should Apple care about getting to 20% market share? What would it do for them that they don't get now? Hint: selling more boxes doesn't mean more profits - and if they had to cut prices, they might actually earn less. There's a reason why Apple makes most of the industry's profits.

Probably for the same reason why everyone on this site says Microsoft market share for Windows Phone isn't increasing fast enough to be taken seriously.

post #62 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Banyan Bruce View Post

This does put desktop computing in perspective, especially when you realise that the vast majority of this user base is corporate. Yes it's true mobile is the growing market but within corporations where real number crunching and documents get generated, windows is still king. Unfortunately that will not change until Apple offers a serious contented for Office and Excel in particular. OSX really hasn't made a big dent in the corporate market if these numbers are to be believed.

It would be very interesting if OSX was able to run on PC/Laptop platforms and was promoted as such.

It's not a matter of price elasticity that the Mac has not made a steep cut into corporate. The main issue is to integrate a Mac in a Windows platform with fast and fully functional Active Directory, smooth exchange support, fast access to servers, *search server* features, etc etc.... Some features are there, but sloppy, not playing nicely together. That's the issue in my opinion. How do you see it?
post #63 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by racingbull View Post


It's not a matter of price elasticity that the Mac has not made a steep cut into corporate. The main issue is to integrate a Mac in a Windows platform with fast and fully functional Active Directory, smooth exchange support, fast access to servers, *search server* features, etc etc.... Some features are there, but sloppy, not playing nicely together. That's the issue in my opinion. How do you see it?

 

There is a ton of Macs, almost all MacBooks, in Enterprise, but they are being booted up under Windows. The MacBook Air is a super priced portable and is actually very competitive to the ultrabook laptops, so much so that the MBA is preferred due to its build and reliability.

post #64 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by stewartS View Post

Am I the only one who thinks that the World is SCREAMING THE NEED for a cheaper iMac "C" and MacBook "C"? Something in the $599 range to get people into the OSX ecosystem? This is needed NOW or Windows 8.1 and Google Chrome / Android will flood the PC market and then spill over into tablets, potentially repeating the 1980's.

 

Macs have been growing faster then Windows computer sales for a couple of years now, only slowing down as the iPad is being chosen over full computers lately. Portable computers are outselling desktops, MacBooks, especially the MBA, are being chosen over Dells and HP portables. What is not moving are the cheap notebook computers, so you seem to have a unique view of the computer market. The Google Chrome laptop is not selling into enterprise or the student markets. It's a bottom feeder for people that are looking for cheap internet surfing and email. 

 

Right now Apple is strongest in smart phones for consumers and enterprise, with excellent penetration in both markets. Next, Apple is leading the market in sales of tablets to both markets, with a better penetration in enterprise, especially education and government. Finally, while Dell and HP teeter on getting out of PC sales, Apple making good margins on MacBooks, with the MBA being highly received by students and enterprise (the latter ussally booting up under Windows).

 

Smart Phones and tablet markets are rapidly becoming saturated which is putting pressure on prices. Apple will be addressing price this month on Phones and may well do so on tablets as the Christmas season nears. I don't see any pressure to lower Mac laptop or Desk top prices to gain sales. 

 

As for the World market; Asian made PCs will continue to dominate Asian sales, and since OSX doesn't have the following in Europe that it does in North America, In spite of that Apple is doing well in some areas and struggling in others. However, Apple (unlike other leading manufacturers) is selling everything they can make, so why try to grab markets they can't supply? 

post #65 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by WardC View Post

This is saying Mac OS X makes up only 6.5% Marketshare of installed userbase worldwide,  versus about 91% for Windows. 

This makes me sad.

People are sheep, don't weep.i never lose sleep over cheap.
post #66 of 73
This really need to be a comparison between hardware/OS pairing, since you can't really install OSX on PC hardware. Yes, there are more PC hardware out there and therefore the numbers will skew.
post #67 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noliving View Post

Probably for the same reason why everyone on this site says Microsoft market share for Windows Phone isn't increasing fast enough to be taken seriously.

Everyone on this site says that? Really?

In either case, market share alone doesn't get you anything. You need the market share to be large enough to have a dynamic, profitable business. In the case of mobile devices, that means a healthy number and variety of apps in the App Store. In the case of computers, that means a reasonable variety of apps - and having access to most of the apps you need.

Now, it is clear that Apple has more than enough market share to have a sufficient ecosystem to succeed in the computer arena. It is not, however, clear that Microsoft has sufficient market share in the mobile space to succeed. Maybe they do and maybe they don't - I've never taken a position one way or the other because I really don't care. But it is entirely possible for someone to use that argument against Windows Phone but not against Mac OS X.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #68 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by esquared View Post


Articles like this annoy the hell outta me. Of course Windows will pull ahead, look at all the various makers of Windows PC and every new one is pre-installed with Win8 (as stated by previous responder). In my opinion you can't adequately compare the two. 

 

How is this different from the fact that the latest version of Mac OS X is preinstalled on all new Macs?

 

 

Quote:

Compare them separately (one OSX and one for Win) and see how consumers are adapting to the latest version of their respective companies operating system.

 

That would be possible for Windows because people can remove Windows 8 from a PC and install Windows 7 or XP if they want.  Can't do the same for Macs because Macs will only run on the same or higher version of Mac OS X that it shipped with.  So if articles like this annoy you, then I presume you will also be annoyed by past Apple keynote speeches in which they compared adoption rates of latest version of Mac OS X compared to Windows.

post #69 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Constable Odo View Post

Just as I suspected. Apple is truly doomed. So much about all the braggadocio of a post-PC era. Windows is still the most powerful force in the universe and market share is everything.

/s

 

I think Apple quit trying to make MacOSX popular when it switched to Intel.  That's a smart move.  Just concentrate on iOS and spend the resource wisely.

Doomed?    Apple is smart to make OSX required to develop iOS apps.  Until that changes, OSX will be around in a niche market.  But I think Apple will merge OSX and iOS at some point.  One version for desktop and one version for mobile.

post #70 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

There are quite a number of Apple MacBooks being used in Enterprise. However a lot of those are running Windows 7 instead of OSX. 

 

Yeah, that's what I see around me too.  Always duel boot win7 or osx.  Going Intel was a smart move for Apple.

post #71 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

The interesting thing is that 50% of Macs are running the latest version of the OS - vs only about 10% of Windows machines. Just like the mobile platform where the vast majority of iDevices run iOS 6 vs only a small percentage of Android devices running the latest version.

 

I don't understand the benefit. Apple doesn't make any money on operating systems, either desktop or mobile, so why is it considered an "advantage" that Apple users tend to keep up?

post #72 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haggar View Post
 

 

How is this different from the fact that the latest version of Mac OS X is preinstalled on all new Macs?

 

 

 

That would be possible for Windows because people can remove Windows 8 from a PC and install Windows 7 or XP if they want.  Can't do the same for Macs because Macs will only run on the same or higher version of Mac OS X that it shipped with.  So if articles like this annoy you, then I presume you will also be annoyed by past Apple keynote speeches in which they compared adoption rates of latest version of Mac OS X compared to Windows.

THANK YOU!

post #73 of 73
Originally Posted by ipen View Post

I think Apple quit trying to make MacOSX popular when it switched to Intel.  That's a smart move.  Just concentrate on iOS and spend the resource wisely.

 

iPhone OS didn't even exist when they switched to Intel.

 
But I think Apple will merge OSX and iOS at some point.  One version for desktop and one version for mobile.

So how is that in any way merging?

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac OS X
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Windows 8 jumps past Apple's OS X with 7.4% market share