or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Users report trackpad, keyboard lockups with Apple's newest MacBook Pros

Users report trackpad, keyboard lockups with Apple's newest MacBook Pros

post #1 of 83
Owners of Haswell-equipped Retina MacBook Pros have taken to Apple's user-to-user support forums en masse, complaining of repeated keyboard and trackpad freezes that can be remedied only with a hard reset.

New Retina MacBook Pros

The largest thread related to the issue features more than 250 replies spanning 17 pages. Users have reported seeing the problem with every hardware configuration of the slim notebooks, with both 13- and 15-inch models seemingly equally affected.

Most users say that a hard system reset is the only cure when the systems freeze, while there are sporadic reports that cycling sleep mode by closing the lid and reopening it can reanimate the input devices. Several users who have tried the old standby troubleshooting step of resetting the laptop's System Management Controller via a keyboard combination on startup say that it does not provide any relief.

A conflict between OS X Mavericks, the latest revision to Cupertino's desktop operating system, and the new MacBook Pro hardware has not been completely ruled out. Owners of previous-generation Retina MacBook Pros, however, do not report similar issues after the Mavericks update.

Apple updated the Retina display-equipped MacBook Pro line last week, migrating from Intel's Ivy Bridge architecture to a new Haswell-based system featuring the Santa Clara company's Iris Pro integrated graphics chip. The move has reaped performance increases of two to eight percent across the board, while adding hours of battery life to the laptops.
post #2 of 83

This fall's launches are not looking to be Apple's best.  That might be the biggest understatement I've ever made.

The Pages thread is 45 pages long with 665 messages detailing a disaster.  

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5473697?tstart=0

Keynote, iMovie, Numbers are all getting hammered in the forums and on the store.

Though I know the media likes to focus on hardware, Apple is also a very big software maker.  Will AI write an article about software?

Overall, I am getting the feeling that Apple is in a post-Steve slump and are stumbling a bit.  Quite a bit?  

Edited by Bergermeister - 10/28/13 at 7:18am

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

post #3 of 83
There are a few wrinkles in Mavericks to iron out for sure. I have seen only this morning several apps apparently still running in Activity Monitor and Force Quit palette even though they showed as not running in the dock. Trying to empty the waste basket alerted me as it said a document was in use by Preview, yet I'd quit Preview I thought. Sometimes Force quitting Finder will fix this sometimes it takes a full reboot. For me with an SSD this takes a few seconds so no biggie. I expect a Mavericks update any day now for these sorts of things.
Enjoying the new Mac Pro ... it's smokin'
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini.
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini.
post #4 of 83
I don't think the reported keyboard and keypad lockups are related to the Haswell chips. I am running Mavericks on a 2011 iMac and I do experience lack of response from keyboard and mouse on a Windows 7 virtual machine. Fortunately, the VM does respond to a restart sequence and the problem goes away after a fresh restart. However, I was able to recreate the problem while using VMWARE VSphere 5.5 Client in this VM. I thought it was a buggy VMWARE client, but maybe it is a bug in Mavericks after all.
post #5 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

This fall's launches are not looking to be Apple's best.

Keynote, iMovie, Numbers are all getting hammered in the forums and on the store.

Will AI write an article about software?

Overall, I am getting the feeling that Apple is in a post-Steve depression and are stumbling a bit.  Quite a bit?

www.apple.com/feedback is where people should be posting their frustrations.   They can do it on the support site, but this stuff gets actually routed to the right people as well, maybe even faster.

I'm not worried, they'll get it together. Software is pretty easy to fix.  They did it with iTunes where they left some features out and then they brought some of them back.  I can't explain why they do it, seems a little odd to me.

Maybe they hired some ex-Microsoft or Google employees that don't understand Apple.   (Just joking, well maybe I'm not too far off)

Actually, here's what I THINK might be going on.  They had a major announcement date which doesn't change.  And to get all of the hardware/software updates ready on the same date?  Yeah, right.  I think what happens is they give them a date to release new s/w and the developers can't always have everything ready, tested, and with all of the features because a specific release date was mandated by upper management, so they release what they feel most comfortable with (even though features might have been left out or not fully tested) and then they complete everything and THEN they release an update and things get resolved.  I don't know how much better they can do it because of these mandated announcement dates, but MAYBE if we send enough submissions to the feedback, they'll improve.

It's just the nature of the computer/software industry.  Apple isn't the only one that does this.  I seem to remember that Windows 8 had some problems and they had to wait about a year for 8.1.  I don't think we have to wait a year for most of these software problems to get fixed.

Relax.  Deep breathes, Serenity NOW!

Edited by drblank - 10/28/13 at 7:32am
post #6 of 83
Quote:

This fall's launches are not looking to be Apple's best.

Will AI write an article about software?

Overall, I am getting the feeling that Apple is in a post-Steve depression and are stumbling a bit.  Quite a bit?

The do seem to be simplifying a lot of iWork features, I assume for cross platform and iCloud collaboration reasons. Those are major steps and not to be written off too lightly. I do hope now that has been achieved Apple can start adding back missing features and indeed add more.

That said I have always felt both iLife and iWork apps all deserve Pro equivalents as we have with iLife. If we can have Logic, Final Cut and Aperture / Garage Band, iMovie and iPhoto ... why not a suite of pro versions for Numbers, Pages and Keynote? I'd also love to see collaboration added to pro apps. Logic Pro X with collaboration would 'rock' ...pun intended.

Regarding iWork, The solution for now is to keep the '11 versions for when needed. I notice the updates put those in a folder and didn't over write them.

My overall feeling is I have never felt Macs were more powerful and software so awesome in (nearly) 30 years of using Macs.
Edited by digitalclips - 10/28/13 at 7:34am
post #7 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

There are a few wrinkles in Mavericks to iron out for sure. I have seen only this morning several apps apparently still running in Activity Monitor and Force Quit palette even though they showed as not running in the dock. Trying to empty the waste basket alerted me as it said a document was in use by Preview, yet I'd quit Preview I thought. Sometimes Force quitting Finder will fix this sometimes it takes a full reboot. For me with an SSD this takes a few seconds so no biggie. I expect a Mavericks update any day now for these sorts of things.

I've never had a Mac freeze on me until Mavericks. The funny thing was it didn't say anything was not responding. I had to literally turn the iMac off. 1hmm.gif

Where's the new Apple TV?

post #8 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by drblank View Post

www.apple.com/feedback is where people should be posting their frustrations.   They can do it on the support site, but this stuff gets actually routed to the right people as well, maybe even faster.

I'm not worried, they'll get it together. Software is pretty easy to fix.  They did it with iTunes where they left some features out and then they brought some of them back.  I can't explain why they do it, seems a little odd to me.

Maybe they hired some ex-Microsoft or Google employees that don't understand Apple.   (Just joking, well maybe I'm not too far off)

My comment was mainly for to direct the attention of AppleInsider to the large problem with software; in the article at the top of this thread they mention the number of pages and posts about the potential hardware problem, but the software problem is getting more posts on Apple's boards.  There are even recent switchers from Windows saying that they are looking forward to switching back, just over software issues.  

Personally, I'm worried about Apple.  My boss is, too.  Just today I was asked to meet on Wednesday with a computer consultant, and was given a name.  The guy works only with Windows machines.

post #9 of 83
Quote:

Actually, here's what I THINK might be going on.  They had a major announcement date which doesn't change.  And to get all of the hardware/software updates ready on the same date?  Yeah, right.  I think what happens is they give them a date to release new s/w and the developers can't always have everything ready, tested, and with all of the features because a specific release date was mandated by upper management, so they release what they feel most comfortable with (even though features might have been left out or not fully tested) and then they complete everything and THEN they release an update and things get resolved.  I don't know how much better they can do it because of these mandated announcement dates, but MAYBE if we send enough submissions to the feedback, they'll improve.

It's just the nature of the computer/software industry.  Apple isn't the only one that does this.  I seem to remember that Windows 8 had some problems and they had to wait about a year for 8.1.  I don't think we have to wait a year for most of these software problems to get fixed.

Relax.  Deep breathes, Serenity NOW!

Speaking of which- why can you still not double click the top of iTunes to get it to the Dock? I thought for sure that iTunes flaw would have been addressed.

post #10 of 83
Quote:

The do seem to be simplifying a lot of iWork features, I assume for cross platform and iCloud collaboration reasons. Those are major steps and not to be written off too lightly. I do hope now that has been achieved Apple can start adding back missing features and indeed add more.

That said I have always felt both iLife and iWork apps all deserve Pro equivalents as we have with iLife. If we can have Logic, Final Cut and Aperture / Garage Band, iMovie and iPhoto ... why not a suite of pro versions for Numbers, Pages and Keynote? I'd also love to see collaboration added to pro apps. Logic Pro X with collaboration would 'rock' ...pun intended.

Regarding iWork, The solution for now is to keep the '11 versions for when needed. I notice the updates put those in a folder and didn't over write them.

The dumbing down of Numbers is exceptionally noticeable. It's no longer a viable competitor to Excel...and Excel is quite user-hostile.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #11 of 83
Much of the discussion threads is folks just griping that they don't like change. Not real issues. Particularly in the iLife and iWork ones.

As for mavericks, it's less than a week ago. And contrary to the FUD spreaders at no point did anyone at Apple ever even hint that there still is trouble free.

If I had to wager a guess for many of these folks with mavericks issues they are on an older machine they updated or a new machine they migrated from an older one and they are suffering a data conflict from an old preference file or such. The issues won't happen in a fresh user but they don't often think to try this test because it's more fun to gripe for pages and pages and expound upon how they have bought everything Apple has made for the past 50 years and it's always got issues, quadruply now that Steve is dead and Tim is making all the decisions, blah blah

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

post #12 of 83

No one gives a frick. Seriously. “discussions.apple.com” is not a valid source of information.

Magical. How many times has this happened? And how many times have they been wrong? Exactly.

Though I know the media likes to focus on hardware, Apple is also a very big software maker.  Will AI write an article about software?

Why would they; is there something wrong with it?

Overall, I am getting the feeling that Apple is in a post-Steve slump and are stumbling a bit.  Quite a bit?   

You’re pretty close to #45 there… :p 

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.

post #13 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

The dumbing down of Numbers is exceptionally noticeable. It's no longer a viable competitor to Excel...and Excel is quite user-hostile.

OK, but you still have the '11 Numbers, right? So not the end of the world. But I agree Apple need to an Excel level app but I'd prefer a pro version and the iWork suite can then stay simple for the average user. A Pro version could then be the Excel killer.

EDit ... I always forget it is iWork '9 and iLife '11. Well I recently learned to say iWork not iWorks so I am making some progress ... 1biggrin.gif
Edited by digitalclips - 10/28/13 at 8:47am
post #14 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post

I've never had a Mac freeze on me until Mavericks. The funny thing was it didn't say anything was not responding. I had to literally turn the iMac off. 1hmm.gif

I've been running every beta on several Macs since they first came out. No freezes ever. Have you run something like Disk Warrior to check your drive's directories? You could have some damage there. DW is fast and safe and inexpensive. I've used it for donkey's years and it has cured so many weird problems I have lost count. Disk Utilities just doesn't see some issues DW fixes.

http://www.alsoft.com/diskwarrior/

I have no affiliation with this company, just been a user since Mac OS days.
post #15 of 83
Quote:

Actually, here's what I THINK might be going on.  They had a major announcement date which doesn't change.  And to get all of the hardware/software updates ready on the same date?  Yeah, right.  I think what happens is they give them a date to release new s/w and the developers can't always have everything ready, tested, and with all of the features because a specific release date was mandated by upper management, so they release what they feel most comfortable with

Problem with your theory is that Apple sets the announcement date and tells it a mere week before that day. Knowing that Apple is the page hit fodder of all history and knowing that folks will FUD to death every issue, if they knew something wasn't ready for prime time do you really think they would be crazy enough to release it.

They could have easily delayed the announcement, could have delayed the 'today' etc.

post #16 of 83
Quote:

I've been running every beta on several Macs since they first came out. No freezes ever. Have you run something like Disk Warrior to check your drive's directories? You could have some damage there. DW is fast and safe and inexpensive. I've used it for donkey's years and it has cured so many weird problems I have lost count. Disk Utilities just doesn't see some issues DW fixes.

http://www.alsoft.com/diskwarrior/

I have no affiliation with this company, just been a user since Mac OS days.

It's an new iMac barely 9 months old- but you never know.

post #17 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post

It's an new iMac barely 9 months old- but you never know.

Oh to be sure. I've seen brand new Macs with damaged directories.
post #18 of 83
Quote: "with both 13- and 15-inch models seemingly equally affected"

I've read through the entire 18 pages. There isn't a single mention of a problem with the new 15" rMBP. There is one mention of a 15" from 2012. Whatever the problem is, it seems to be relegated to the new 13" rMBP (and Mavericks).
post #19 of 83
Quote:

Oh to be sure. I've seen brand new Macs with damaged directories.

I usually wipe the Mac when I get a new one and install it the way I want to. Then I don't have all the 2,000 printer drivers, etc. I too have take a Mac out of the box with a bad installation. It happens. 

As far as Mavericks goes...I've been using Mavericks since the first developer preview and while I agree the first DP was not good (hence DP), the rest have been pretty good. I never once have had any lockups. I currently use Mavericks on a 15" MBP, Mac Mini (mid-2011), 13" MBP (latest gen) and no lockups at all. There are bugs, but that's to be expected. There is no such thing as perfect software and developers can't test for every single scenario Mavericks is going to get put in, even if it seems like the most logical scenario. 

Edited by macxpress - 10/28/13 at 8:15am

Mac Mini (Mid 2011) 2.5 GHz Core i5

120 GB SSD/500 GB HD/8 GB RAM

AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256 MB

post #20 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

This is what I find really bizarre. Until last week, no one said that Numbers was a competitor to Excel, or that Pages was suitable for 'heavyweight' document work.

Now, after the latest upgrades, all these people have appeared who were using Numbers for serious financial modelling and using Pages to crack out technical books and novels of 500+ pages. And now of course, they can't do that anymore.

Where have they been hiding all this time?

post #21 of 83

Sounds a lot like the situation with Final Cut ProX: First release, much wailing and gnashing of teeth.  I expect that Apple has torn everything down to the bare essentials so they can rebuild the software from the ground up. The question is, how long will it take them?

I don't have a problem with the rewrite (I don't tend to do a lot of complex stuff on Pages anyway), but as with FCPx and iMovie and Maps, the communication was poorly handled. 

post #22 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayz View Post

This is what I find really bizarre. Until last week, no one said that Numbers was a competitor to Excel, or that Pages was suitable for 'heavyweight' document work.

Now, after the latest upgrades, all these people have appeared who were using Numbers for serious financial modelling and using Pages to crack out technical books and novels of 500+ pages. And now of course, they can't do that anymore.

I always thought people who wanted Excel just used it, not Numbers. Yes, I guess all of a sudden Numbers was a strong competitor to Excel. I never thought it was. It had a long way to go. Long ways. To be honest though, I like it simple. This is the way it should be. 

I'm sure Apple will add features back in as time passes on. I don't think people realize that I believe iWork was completely rewritten with a focus around iCloud. While they may share the same name, its not the same app as before. Its a completely different app. 

post #23 of 83
Quote:

Sounds a lot like the situation with Final Cut ProX: First release, much wailing and gnashing of teeth.  I expect that Apple has torn everything down to the bare essentials so they can rebuild the software from the ground up. The question is, how long will it take them?

I don't have a problem with the rewrite (I don't tend to do a lot of complex stuff on Pages anyway), but as with FCPx and iMovie and Maps, the communication was poorly handled. 

They really should work in their communication.

Has it been noted that iWork '09 apps aren't overwritten when you update to the new apps via MAS?
post #24 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

I usually wipe the Mac when I get a new one and install it the way I want to. Then I don't have all the 2,000 printer drivers, etc. I too have take a Mac out of the box with a bad installation. It happens. 

As far as Mavericks goes...I've been using Mavericks since the first developer preview and while I agree the first DP was not good (hence DP), the rest have been pretty good. I never once have had any lockups. I currently use Mavericks on a 15" MBP, Mac Mini (mid-2011), 13" MBP (latest gen) and no lockups at all. There are bugs, but that's to be expected. There is no such thing as perfect software and developers can't test for every single scenario Mavericks is going to get put in, even if it seems like the most logical scenario. 

I do the same, upgrading is always a worry. I like to do a fresh install then use migration assistant from a clone of the drive I made earlier. That way I get both a fresh install and a clone safety backup. I've done this since Carbon Copy Cloner first came out. I still have cloned drives going back to Panther sitting on a shelf. I use bare drives in a Voyager FW 800 dock these last few years before that it was a similar FW400 and before that SCSI!. Cool thing too is I can always boot into any of these drives (hardware permitting) and be back on that OS X version at the last moment before upgrade with all associated software and data from that day. It's proven useful on many an occasion.
post #25 of 83
Quote:

Agreed, hence my continual pleading for Apple to come out with real Pro versions of all iWork apps. Using iWork is fine but real heavy duty work it would be like using Garage Band rather than Logic.
post #26 of 83
Quote:

I do the same, upgrading is always a worry. I like to do a fresh install then use migration assistant from a clone of the drive I made earlier. That way I get both a fresh install and a clone safety backup. I've done this since Carbon Copy Cloner first came out. I still have cloned drives going back to Panther sitting on a shelf. I use bare drives in a Voyager FW 800 dock these last few years before that it was a similar FW400 and before that SCSI!. Cool thing too is I can always boot into any of these drives (hardware permitting) and be back on that OS X version at the last moment before upgrade with all associated software and data from that day. It's proven useful on many an occasion.

I tried Migration Assistant with my new MBP from my 2010 MBP and it caused all sorts of issues. The root cause seems to stem from ACLs but I tried Command-R, then going into Password Recovery to repair that but it doesn't appear to do anything. I also had rampant ACL issues with my iMac after installing OS X Server and got the same issue with ACL issues and the Password Recovery option not doing the 2 minute (or so) repair. I'm choking it up to a Mavericks bug. I started from scratch with my MBP and will do the same with my iMac once I can back up my media.
post #27 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by akqies View Post

I tried Migration Assistant with my new MBP from my 2010 MBP and it caused all sorts of issues. The root cause seems to stem from ACLs but I tried Command-R, then going into Password Recovery to repair that but it doesn't appear to do anything. I also had rampant ACL issues with my iMac after installing OS X Server and got the same issue with ACL issues and the Password Recovery option not doing the 2 minute (or so) repair. I'm choking it up to a Mavericks bug. I started from scratch with my MBP and will do the same with my iMac once I can back up my media.

Yep I've seen that too. I have had to start totally from scratch on several occasions which is a lot of fun with older applications and their licensing methods. Thankfully it is a breeze with Apps from the App Store. Migration Assistant works only if the source disk is in tip top condition. Again (I mentioned this earlier) Disk Warrior is always a good thing to run prior to doing any migration it has both a fail safe directory repair and good permissions repairing abilities. But, as i say, like you I have had situations where only starting fresh gave a perfect solution. Aren't computers fun 1smile.gif

BTW when I get ACL issues I know I caused it. It is usually when i have had that drive run as a secondary drive rather than booting and then over ridden permissions to get stuff or put stuff on the drives. This never used to be an issue years ago but seems to cause untold issues these days. In theory fixing ACL issues should be easy in Terminal or using good utilities but they just seem to come back like an unwanted friend. 1hmm.gif
post #28 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

Much of the discussion threads is folks just griping that they don't like change. Not real issues. Particularly in the iLife and iWork ones.

I disagree on iWork. I have been a heavy user of Pages since iWork '08 and have found it far preferable to Word. It may not have all the functionality of Word, but it does have all the functionality I need. At least it did. I live in Page Layout mode which has been removed from v5 rendering the new version useless to me. This isn't about disliking change, this is about having functionality critical to my workflow removed. For now, at least, I will continue to use Pages 4.3. If Pages 6.0 does not restore the functionality I need, then I will simply migrate to InDesign. I have it, but I have long preferred the simplicity of Pages.

post #29 of 83
Originally Posted by djames4242 View Post
I live in Page Layout mode which has been removed from v5 rendering the new version useless to me.

What?

People running around like their heads are cut off when they’re too lazy to take the time to check if their heads are still there. Inexcusable and embarrassing.

post #30 of 83
Quote:

I disagree on iWork. I have been a heavy user of Pages since iWork '08 and have found it far preferable to Word. It may not have all the functionality of Word, but it does have all the functionality I need. At least it did. I live in Page Layout mode which has been removed from v5 rendering the new version useless to me. This isn't about disliking change, this is about having functionality critical to my workflow removed. For now, at least, I will continue to use Pages 4.3. If Pages 6.0 does not restore the functionality I need, then I will simply migrate to InDesign. I have it, but I have long preferred the simplicity of Pages.

You are right of course. Hopefully Apple will bring back and add features fast as they did with the initial FCPX which is now the best NLR in existence not so much on day one. I have to think as I said earlier in this thread, phase one was getting across the board compatibility and collaboration running both major achievements. Now they can start the real work of bring them all up in specs.
post #31 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

What?

People running around like their heads are cut off when they’re too lazy to take the time to check if their heads are still there. Inexcusable and embarrassing.

In fairness Layout Mode has been simplified. Look for facing page differentiation for example. If I missed where that is I owe you one 1wink.gif
post #32 of 83
Quote:

Thanks. Or not. That's absolutely, positively, utterly, and completely not what I was talking about. Have you used Pages prior to this version? Do you remember Page Layout vs Word Processing mode? You know, the one that allows you to rearrange pages, delete pages, insert pages in the middle, and (most importantly) create linked text frames? You know, all that Page Layout functionality that isn't there anymore?

If I'm just being lazy, then please do tell me where all this functionality that I can no longer find has been moved to. 

post #33 of 83
Quote:

Thanks. Or not. That's absolutely, positively, utterly, and completely not what I was talking about. Have you used Pages prior to this version? Do you remember Page Layout vs Word Processing mode? You know, the one that allows you to rearrange pages, delete pages, insert pages in the middle, and (most importantly) create linked text frames? You know, all that Page Layout functionality that isn't there anymore?

If I'm just being lazy, then please do tell me where all this functionality that I can no longer find has been moved to. 

I'm still digging around hoping these are all there but hidden ... 1hmm.gif
post #34 of 83
Quote:

In fairness Layout Mode has been simplified. Look for facing page differentiation for example. If I missed where that is I owe you one 1wink.gif

Indeed. I thought I'd better pull up some of the newsletter templates that come with the new Pages to see if they use some of the features that appear to be missing. It looks as though they are emulating some of the stuff that used to be available with linked text frames by flowing text around some frames external to the main text body. That's a hack that would certainly be useable in simplistic layouts, but I've created some fairly complicated newsletters and technical documents that would be difficult at best in this way.

I got a copy of Swift Publisher with a bundle a year or so ago. It may be time to give that a look finally :)

post #35 of 83
Quote:

I'm still digging around hoping these are all there but hidden ... 1hmm.gif

My suspicion (as seems to be the conventional wisdom) is that Apple more-or-less ported over the iOS versions of iWork to OSX (after all, didn't Apple proclaim these were rewritten from the ground up?) and that's why a lot of functionality was removed from all of the apps. I sincerely hope that Apple begins adding back what's missing and enhanced beyond what we had before. Migrate what was once Bento into the suite, give Numbers some real power (more functions, pivot tables, larger worksheets) and iWork could be a real Office productivity replacement for a large percentage of us. The new collaboration features look like they could be great, but the apps themselves just need to be a bit less watered down.

post #36 of 83
Quote:

wrong post! lol AI crashes after every edit I make and I answered my self instead of TS after such a crash! Please have this blog fixed AI or tell me how to stop it if it is my Safari 7.0 alone doing this!
post #37 of 83

Wow! My hats off to you if you read through all that. Good to know, though, as I have my sights set on a new 15" model.

post #38 of 83
Quote:

What?

Just FYI: Open a Pages doc from iWork '9 that had auto flowing linked text boxes in the new version ... Word to the wise ... sometimes it's worth checking facts before being too adamant. Luckily we all have both versions so it's not the end of the world and I trust Apple will update iWork asap.

post #39 of 83
Quote:

Just FYI: Open a Pages doc from iWork '9 that had auto flowing linked text boxes in the new version ... Word to the wise ... sometimes it's worth checking facts before being too adamant. Luckily we all have both versions so it's not the end of the world and I trust Apple will update iWork asap.

Yeah, for now iWork '09 works just fine. Eventually compatibility will break I presume. Maybe not: I'm amazed that iWeb still functions even though it's not been updated since what, Snow Leopard days?

post #40 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by akqies View Post

Has it been noted that iWork '09 apps aren't overwritten when you update to the new apps via MAS?

I noticed this just this morning when I clicked the old Pages icon in the dock and found that it launched version 4.3. Then I launched Pages from the new icon in the applications folder and had both running side-by-side for comparison. Interesting.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: Current Mac Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Current Mac Hardware › Users report trackpad, keyboard lockups with Apple's newest MacBook Pros