or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple's research & development costs ballooned 32% in 2013 to $4.5B

Apple's research & development costs ballooned 32% in 2013 to $4.5B - Page 2

post #41 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by joelsalt View Post

Also, people seem to forget that the smaller a product is the a) less material is used b) less weight/volume is shipped c) less has to be recycled.

Making a smaller producet a) saves on material costs b) saves on shipping costs c) saves on recycling costs

Smaller products = cheaper to produce* and more environmentally friendly

*assuming similar fab costs

Exactly, we have an orig. white intel 20" iMac at home. My GF brought her new work iMac home from her school in it's box for me to load Pages, setup her Mail, etc., etc. When I lifted it out of the box I was truly amazed at how light it was compared to our intel iMac.

And her's was not the thin design of today's model. I applaud Apple for the dedication to thinness.

post #42 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Could be an indicator of the plummeting value of the dollar?

I am having a hard time understanding that.

explain?

post #43 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Please don’t own Apple stock.

Just keeping it simple to all your Blah Blah

I do not own Apple stock. I own 2014 2015 AAPL calls from $420 area :p 

I mentioned that because cash is growing enormously and they better use it which benefits the growth not only on the hardware side but also on the service side as well!

I hope that I am wrong and I do not see this company being like dell in next 10 years!

Ego won't last forever unless they have real deal coming out every few years!

People like Gore are board members who do nothing.

Political people and invention do not match :lol: 

post #44 of 78

Around 8,000 new employees in non-retail positions, an increase of ~20%.  That's huge, something big must be stirring.

censored

censored

post #45 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpics View Post

Quote:
Do people still get Scrooge McDuck references?  I hope so....
Me too. The world would be a better place if everyone felt the same as well.
post #46 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Gawd. Please stop.

:wow:

take it easy :lol:

post #47 of 78
Originally Posted by helicopterben View Post

Simple? You call for nothing but complexity and pointless wastes of money.

I mentioned that because cash is growing enormously and they better use it which benefits the growth not only on the hardware side but also on the service side as well!

Expanding services does not preclude the continuation of hardware investment. 

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.

post #48 of 78
Quote:

Simple? You call for nothing but complexity and pointless wastes of money.

Expanding services does not preclude the continuation of hardware investment. 

Who told that they should not keep on building hardware? They should definitely do that!

Think before you bark :p

Services is not about pointless waste of money but stronger Ecosystem. I just threw few stuff in there like Apple payment system which can have huge potential. Anyway I told what I felt. I did not ask for your opinion, how they are!

iCar? Keep on dreaming ---> Jobs left and took the balls with him!

Wont be replying back. Keep on talking your BS!

Edited by helicopterben - 10/30/13 at 10:34am
post #49 of 78
Who told that they should not keep on building hardware? 

No one, nor did I say it there. Please read.

Think before you bark

Someone should, at least:

Originally Posted by helicopterben View Post

Hardware business will not work forever!

Services is not about pointless waste of money

They are if the service is pointless.

I did not ask for your opinion…

Then you shouldn’t have posted yours:???: 

post #50 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

iWatch, iTV, battery improvements etc.

Apple needs to improve their speakers on all their products. This is crucially important to me. The new iMac sounds far worst than the old model, but is thinner! Is that the right trade off on an iMac? I don't think so.

What? Would you prefer a 5" thick iMac with Mega-Bass?

Where's the new Apple TV?

Where's the new Apple TV?
post #51 of 78

This article is about Apple's R&D costs.  

Everyone seems to be clamoring for Apple to come up with revolutionary product-defining categories.  

Well, guess what, you gotta break some eggs to make an omelette. 

New stuff costs big bucks.

post #52 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by bananaman View Post

explain?

Dollar devaluation due to loose monetary policy at the Federal Reserve in a misguided effort to boost employment. Google it.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #53 of 78
Quote:

Quote:

explain?

Dollar devaluation due to loose monetary policy at the Federal Reserve in a misguided effort to boost employment. Google it.

You are way off, empirically speaking. 'Loose monetary policy' will affect the value of the currency only if inflation expectations (or actual inflation) increase.

Neither has been the case in the past few years, despite fervent hopes and wails from right-wing doomsayers.

In fact, data belie your claim in spades. During the period 2002 - 2008, when monetary policy was tighter than now, the USD index depreciated by nearly 40%; since 2008, when monetary policy has been much looser, the USD is actually up ~7% (see, e.g., http://www.tradingeconomics.com/united-states/currency -- you can check for yourself by specifying appropriate date ranges).

post #54 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Quote:

Quote:

explain?

You are way off, theoretically and empirically speaking.

Theoretically, 'loose monetary policy' will decrease the value of the currency only if inflation expectations (or actual inflation) increase. If the market does not believe there are adverse inflation consequences, the currency can stay flat, or even appreciate.

Inflation has been quite mild in the past few years, despite fervent hopes and wails from right-wing doomsayers.

Empirically, data belie your claim in spades. During the period 2002 - 2008, when monetary policy was tighter than now, the USD index depreciated by nearly 40%; since 2008, when monetary policy has been much looser, the USD is actually up ~7% (see, e.g., http://www.tradingeconomics.com/united-states/currency -- you can check for yourself by specifying appropriate date ranges).

post #55 of 78

Well, when Apple is the R&D for so many companies *cough**Samsung**cough*, they need to keep on top of innovation!!

post #56 of 78
Quote:

That's you. You live on AI. For regular users there's a reason it's called an AIO.

You just answered your own question.  Clearly, if the internal speakers are not good enough for you, you're not a "regular user".

I could see your objection to external speakers if you were complaining about a laptop.  But with a static desktop location, this makes no sense.

(And "live on AI", really? Compare our respective post counts and get back to me on that.)

post #57 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by vaporland View Post

After which you'll sell it, to upgrade to iCar Retina.

Also, the hood is glued shut, as are the doors.

the doors aren't glued shut... however, you'll need an AppleID and a fingerprint to drive the thing.

post #58 of 78

I wonder how much it will cost to fix the horrible illegibility in iOS 7.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #59 of 78
Quote:

You are way off, empirically speaking. 'Loose monetary policy' will affect the value of the currency only if inflation expectations (or actual inflation) increase.

Neither has been the case in the past few years, despite fervent hopes and wails from right-wing doomsayers.

In fact, data belie your claim in spades. During the period 2002 - 2008, when monetary policy was tighter than now, the USD index depreciated by nearly 40%; since 2008, when monetary policy has been much looser, the USD is actually up ~7% (see, e.g., http://www.tradingeconomics.com/united-states/currency -- you can check for yourself by specifying appropriate date ranges).

I think this article says it best... http://www.theonion.com/articles/us-economy-grinds-to-halt-as-nation-realizes-money,2912/

;)

...but in reality, all you need to do is go here http://www.usinflationcalculator.com and use the online calculator for an unbiased view of the value of the dollar over time.

Oh, and isn't it interesting what this 'notoriously right-wing' organization, Reuters reports today: http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/10/30/us-usa-fed-idUSBRE99T05B20131030

This bond buying is meant to keep the market from collapsing. There is no real underlying growth in this country because we are bankrupt and because Keynesianism has never worked.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/chi-nsc-keynesian-economics-government-shutdowns-and-20131030,0,2119921.story

Edited by SpamSandwich - 10/30/13 at 1:31pm

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #60 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

I'm not sure if an Apple iCar is a serious topic or not...but just in case it is and to add some perspective....

I read it takes Toyota, 300 man years of time just to "upgrade" the Camry.

That's just for an upgrade not the original design of the car. Wow!

Also, I think Apple's new 5s is hardly an incremental improvement. The Fingerprint security, the A7/M chip for speed, the camera tech and the weight are quite impressive.

Same goes for iOS7, Mavericks, iWork/iLife now free, colors on the 5c, iPad Air, RMini, MBP's, MBA's, MacPro.

I think 2013 was a fantastic year for Apple. And it shows a lot of hard work. 

I would love to have a new 27" iMac, 11" MBA, iPad Air, iPad Mini, ATV, TimeCapsule, and a gold 5s.

Yes, there is overlap, but, my oh my, what beautiful machines these all are! :)

I'm making do with a 4s and an 8 year old iMac.

Lovely post !

It is true we all hope for Apple TV, iWatch, or something totally new, but the given upgrades are beautiful.

post #61 of 78
Quote:

Apple Board seriously need to think about the amount of money Apple will be making in couple of years and invest them wisely and actively. They seem so slow in service sector growth and buyouts of some decent size market cap company which creates regular free cash flows!

Bottom line : Hardware business will not work forever! Competitors will copy, New companies will emerge!

Get aggressive in Service business like Apple Payments, Entertainment like Netflix, Data Provider (use VOIP) (Kick out T, VZ and get rid of phone minutes), Cable business (iTV), iSearch. Do anything but do it :p  Kick out the lazy board members like GORE! Get in guys like Elon Musk!

The history books are littered with examples of CEOs who made giant acquisitions that amounted to nothing more than bragging rights at dinner parties. On the other hand, I don't think the amount Apple spent on an acquisition has come even close to a $1 billion since Steve Jobs came back to Apple. Some examples I can think of are PA Semi and FingerWorks, both of which were pretty cheap acquisitions. I don't even need to get into how much Apple has gotten out of those tiny acquisitions. 

And tell Google that the hardware business won't work forever. They spent $12 billion to buy Motorola and from the looks of it, it looks like the Motorola's CEO took Google to cleaners on that deal. 

Having the cash to pay for it isn't the only reason to make an acquisition. It has to make strategic sense, and this isn't true just for acquisitions. It applies to any business expenditure. That's why people who criticize Apple for being stingy with R&D don't know what they're talking about. They point to comparisons of R&D as a percentage of sales to show that Apple isn't spending enough on R&D, as if making great products is as simple as just writing a giant check. Despite such a stingy R&D budget, Apple has created quite a few blockbuster products. 

post #62 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Pfft. Apple still not spending enough in R&D!! They have a $150 bn in the bank.i guess Cook really wants to swim in a vault of gold coins. /s

I'm sure Apple has a good idea what they're doing, but they've never been huge on R&D.  To put it in perspective, even with their 'ballooning' increase, they still spend less in R&D annually than even Amazon

post #63 of 78
Quote:

This is proof they’re working on a car.

Besides the "fresh coffee" function for the iPhone, we are all waiting for.
post #64 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

I'm not sure if an Apple iCar is a serious topic or not...but just in case it is and to add some perspective....

I read it takes Toyota, 300 man years of time just to "upgrade" the Camry.

That's just for an upgrade not the original design of the car. Wow!

Also, I think Apple's new 5s is hardly an incremental improvement. The Fingerprint security, the A7/M chip for speed, the camera tech and the weight are quite impressive.

Same goes for iOS7, Mavericks, iWork/iLife now free, colors on the 5c, iPad Air, RMini, MBP's, MBA's, MacPro.

I think 2013 was a fantastic year for Apple. And it shows a lot of hard work. 

I would love to have a new 27" iMac, 11" MBA, iPad Air, iPad Mini, ATV, TimeCapsule, and a gold 5s.

Yes, there is overlap, but, my oh my, what beautiful machines these all are! 1smile.gif

I'm making do with a 4s and an 8 year old iMac.

I'm sure TS was totally series about an iCar. He's correct too ...as usual, the big secret is it will totally revolutionize the car and car industry as we know it (of course). Obviously (this is my take ...) it will be able to fly.

On a serious note, it's time to get a new Mac dude 1smile.gif
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
post #65 of 78

$4.5B for a 64-bit chip and Touch ID? I could have done it for 4.4 :smokey:

Shut up and go away, you useless, pathetic FUDmonger - Tallest Skil
Shut up and go away, you useless, pathetic FUDmonger - Tallest Skil
post #66 of 78
Quote:

I do not own Apple stock. I own 2014 2015 AAPL calls from $420 area 1tongue.gif  

I hope that I am wrong and I do not see this company being like dell in next 10 years!
Ego won't last forever unless they have real deal coming out every few years!

People like Gore are board members who do nothing.
Political people and invention do not match lol.gif  

Al Gore has been shockingly visionary where the technology industry is concerned. No public figure has contributed more to the advancement of technology.
post #67 of 78
It isn't really the R&D is increasing. It just seems Apple are booking the R&D expense as a relative constant to the Sales and Revenue. And we have no idea where these are spent or going to be spent.

I see them most like to be used on Network and Data center. Since the Data center is literally just a Energy usage sum, once Apple has fitted enough solar panel they will essentially be running at a very low operational cost. Again, Paying the cost up front as Apple has enough money to do so.
post #68 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBook Pro View Post

Al Gore has been shockingly visionary where the technology industry is concerned. No public figure has contributed more to the advancement of technology.

Yup. I remember when he invented the internet. 1smile.gif
post #69 of 78
Originally Posted by MacBook Pro View Post

Challenge.

Define ‘public figure’, please.

post #70 of 78
Unfortunately the oil filter will be soldered onto the car's frame. If you attempt to refill the fuel tank you risk voiding the warranty. Last but not least, you'll have to purchase your own bumper for it.

Oh, and don't even think about updating the software once newer models comes out.
post #71 of 78
Originally Posted by 80shiphop View Post
Unfortunately the oil filter will be soldered onto the car's frame.

This is Apple we’re talking about; it would be an electric vehicle.

Oh, and don't even think about updating the software once newer models comes out.

That’s Android, not Apple. :p

post #72 of 78
Quote:

Quote:

I think this article says it best... http://www.theonion.com/articles/us-economy-grinds-to-halt-as-nation-realizes-money,2912/

1wink.gif

...but in reality, all you need to do is go here http://www.usinflationcalculator.com and use the online calculator for an unbiased view of the value of the dollar over time.

Oh, and isn't it interesting what this 'notoriously right-wing' organization, Reuters reports today: http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/10/30/us-usa-fed-idUSBRE99T05B20131030

This bond buying is meant to keep the market from collapsing. There is no real underlying growth in this country because we are bankrupt and because Keynesianism has never worked.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/chi-nsc-keynesian-economics-government-shutdowns-and-20131030,0,2119921.story

When uninformed cliches and silly political talking points substitute for facts, there's not much point in further discussion.
post #73 of 78

so basically hiring people to do nothing play candy crush is bad for economy.

Got it.

post #74 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80shiphop View Post

Unfortunately the oil filter will be soldered onto the car's frame. If you attempt to refill the fuel tank you risk voiding the warranty. Last but not least, you'll have to purchase your own bumper for it.

why would I refuel an electric car??

software wutz??

post #75 of 78
Quote:

iWatch, iTV, battery improvements etc.

Apple needs to improve their speakers on all their products. This is crucially important to me. The new iMac sounds far worst than the old model, but is thinner! Is that the right trade off on an iMac? I don't think so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PScooter63 View Post

I feel your pain, but physics are physics.  Personally, I've never NOT had external speakers (with sub) on any desktop, even the last iMac I owned (2007).

Well, I think you're both right.   Physics are physics and to get good audio, especially low frequencies, you have to push a lot of air and tiny speakers can never push a lot of air.   On the other hand, Apple has been sacrificing function for form and I'm in the court that says that Apple's obsession with form over function has gone too far.   We do actually use the computers, they're not just an art object.  

Quote:
Originally Posted by brutus009 View Post

Are you honestly buying an iMac for its speakers? That's ridiculous. Aesthetics are way more important than acoustics for an Apple desktop.

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not, but assuming you're not, since iTunes music and movies is supposedly a big part of the Apple experience, a computer does need good sound.   Personally, I do have external speakers on my MacBook Pro and I live with the bad sound when I'm remote, but it would sure be nice to have better sound on all Apple products.   IMO, there's no excuse for bad sound on a desktop.   If that makes it thicker, so be it.    You lose the aesthetics when you have to place external speakers on the desk anyway. 

Quote:

That's you. You live on AI. For regular users there's a reason it's called an AIO.

So "regular users" don't listen to music?   They buy a $2000 device with a giant screen for great visuals, but they want to live with sound that sounds worse than a 1970s radio?     Don't engineers find it the least bit embarrassing that a 1940s table-top radio (although large) had far better sound than most table-top sound devices today?  We can do better. 

post #76 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Yup. I remember when he invented the internet. 1smile.gif

Al Gore never actually claimed that he invented the internet - he just used clumsy language:

See this:  http://www.snopes.com/quotes/internet.asp

post #77 of 78
Quote:

When uninformed cliches and silly political talking points substitute for facts, there's not much point in further discussion.

Suit yourself, although if I know you even a little, you'll be irritated eventually and post a response after you've stewed over it a while.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #78 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoetmb View Post

So "regular users" don't listen to music?   They buy a $2000 device with a giant screen for great visuals, but they want to live with sound that sounds worse than a 1970s radio?     Don't engineers find it the least bit embarrassing that a 1940s table-top radio (although large) had far better sound than most table-top sound devices today?  We can do better. 

worse than a 1970's radio??

seriously??

over exaggerating or being sarcastic??

or were 1940s radios way better than the 2013 ones.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Apple's research & development costs ballooned 32% in 2013 to $4.5B