or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Developer of unexpected iOS hit Flappy Bird pulls title from App Store
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Developer of unexpected iOS hit Flappy Bird pulls title from App Store

post #1 of 31
Thread Starter 
The developer behind massively popular indie game Flappy Bird removed the app from Apple's iOS App Store on Sunday, saying he 'cannot take this anymore.'

Flappy Bird


After a meteoric rise to the No. 1 spot on Apple's iOS App Store charts, the deceivingly simple Flappy Bird has been removed by the game's developer Dong Nguyen. The takedown comes after Nguyen promised to pull Flappy Bird on Saturday.

At one point, Flappy Bird was raking in about $50,000 per day from in-game advertising, reports The Verge. In addition to revenue, ads were added to enhance the gaming experience, according to Nguyen, who modeled the title after bite-sized Japanese offerings.

The exact reason for Flappy Bird's removal is unknown, though Nguyen stated legal issues are not to blame. When the developer announced he would be pulling the app, some theorized Nintendo had taken issue with the title's art style, which was heavily influenced by Super Mario Bros. In a series of tweets following the sudden rise in downloads it became apparent that Nguyen was distressed by the amount of attention he and his game were getting.

February 8, 2014


Also unclear is why the game became so popular. After lying relatively dormant in the App Store since its debut in May 2013, Flappy Bird saw a huge spike in downloads over a short period of time. Some attribute the boost to a slew of social media posts and ensuing press coverage.

Nguyen's small development firm dotGears Studios has released a few other titles similar to Flappy Bird, though none have seen the same level of success. With a refusal to sell the game's rights to another party, it appears Flappy Bird's death will be just as spontaneous as its rise to the top.
post #2 of 31
Was anyone else disturbed by the language of the Flappy Bird reviews? Either they were all written by the same person/organization, or for some strange reason it's common for people to associate an addicting game with Satan/the devil.

Honestly, I was confused by the striking similarity in both thematics and semantics.
post #3 of 31
The reason why this game went viral is because it essentially has become an internet meme. Popular YouTuber "PewDiePie" uploaded a video of him playing it -- he has 22 million subscribers, meaning that gave the game a lot of traction. Also, it became a trend to post vine videos (on the popular app "Vine"). These videos are also spread throughout other popular social media sites -- this is how the game has become a meme.

@Sporlo, I think the App Store reviews referring to possession and the devil is part of this meme. People have been making up stories about how this game has caused them to lose their life and sanity to the addictive qualities of this game. It's a bit of an ongoing dark-humor joke about this game.

I think that all of these jokes, videos, and internet memes being created in reference to this game, is part of the reason why the creator has taken down the game. I, personally, don't believe that is a justified reason to take a game that makes him $50k a day, but it's what he felt was the right thing to do.
post #4 of 31

With that sort of money, Dong could/should just a hire a PR Manager to filter out the abuse. I would! Life too short to deal with other people's insecurities. 

post #5 of 31

Copycat Frappy Bird app in 3... 2... 1...

   Apple develops an improved programming language.  Google copied Java.  Everything you need to know, right there.

 

  MA497LL/A FB463LL/A MC572LL/A FC060LL/A MD481LL/A MD388LL/A ME344LL/A

Reply

   Apple develops an improved programming language.  Google copied Java.  Everything you need to know, right there.

 

  MA497LL/A FB463LL/A MC572LL/A FC060LL/A MD481LL/A MD388LL/A ME344LL/A

Reply
post #6 of 31
Coming soon to the App Store: Flapping Geese, Flappie the Bird, Flap Flap Flap!, and Flap Away Birdie.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #7 of 31
Played flappy for about 2 to 5 minutes then deleted it, not much I could say about it without using foul language so I'll leave it at that. Just wasnt for me. 1smile.gif
post #8 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sporlo View Post

Was anyone else disturbed by the language of the Flappy Bird reviews? Either they were all written by the same person/organization, or for some strange reason it's common for people to associate an addicting game with Satan/the devil.

Honestly, I was confused by the striking similarity in both thematics and semantics.

I noticed it and was like what is going on here....  It was kind of suspicious unless people were trying to out do one another on their "review"

 

 

I also noticed my game updated yesterday and I just downloaded the game for the first time on Thursday. I thought that was weird once I heard he was pulling the game. 

post #9 of 31
Has it been removed from the android store too?
post #10 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunkzombie View Post

Has it been removed from the android store too?

 

Yes, it was removed from the Play Store as well.

post #11 of 31
If it's raking in 50 big ones a day, and the developer doesn't want the bother then maybe I'm missing something here but wouldn't the normal thing to do in this case be to pay someone say a grand a week to answer the phone?
post #12 of 31

Fappie Man. Avoid getting caught

Help! I'm trapped in a white dungeon of amazing precision and impeccable tolerances!

Reply

Help! I'm trapped in a white dungeon of amazing precision and impeccable tolerances!

Reply
post #13 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by John.B View Post

Copycat Frappy Bird app in 3... 2... 1...

Crappy Bird...
If you value privacy you can now set DuckDuckGo as your default search engine in iOS and OS X.
Reply
If you value privacy you can now set DuckDuckGo as your default search engine in iOS and OS X.
Reply
post #14 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by iJalex View Post

Played flappy for about 2 to 5 minutes then deleted it, not much I could say about it without using foul language so I'll leave it at that. Just wasnt for me. 1smile.gif

You mean 'fowl language'.
If you value privacy you can now set DuckDuckGo as your default search engine in iOS and OS X.
Reply
If you value privacy you can now set DuckDuckGo as your default search engine in iOS and OS X.
Reply
post #15 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by John.B View Post

Copycat Frappy Bird app in 3... 2... 1...

There are already a whole slew of copies in Google play, I was talking to a work colleague and as Flappy Bird was gone he settled for Flappy Wings, an almost exact replica.

Apparently this Dong guy couldn't deal with all the death and suicide threats he was getting via twitter.
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Reply
post #16 of 31
These memes often don't run very long so it would seem worthwhile going with it for the 20-40 days to become a millionaire even if it meant losing a lot of sleep.

I suspect there was something more to the takedown than 'hassle', after all we don't know what the 'it' was that he couldn't take any more; maybe not a strictly legal threat, but there are other reasons why it might have been necessary, perhaps Apple required a takedown for an undisclosed reason.
post #17 of 31
Nintendo IMHO is behind this. FB is reminiscent of Mario Brothers.
post #18 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Coming soon to the App Store: Flapping Geese, Flappie the Bird, Flap Flap Flap!, and Flap Away Birdie.

Maybe Flappy Candy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1nf3cted 
I, personally, don't believe that is a justified reason to take a game that makes him $50k a day, but it's what he felt was the right thing to do.

Because it's ad revenue, the people who still have the game (50 million downloads) should still keep generating the money. It doesn't get removed from the devices. Some people have even taken to eBay to sell their devices at a premium with Flappy Bird installed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1nf3cted 
Popular YouTuber "PewDiePie" uploaded a video of him playing it -- he has 22 million subscribers, meaning that gave the game a lot of traction.

That would explain it. The game was uploaded a year ago but just took off recently. The PewDiPie video has over 9 million views, Flappy starts about half way:



This is one distinction with iOS and consoles - the social media part and free to play or low cost games. When a big title comes out on consoles, the marketing is more controlled and directed towards these big titles. With iOS, it can be anything, any free game gets a mention where a lot of people are looking and it can take off big time. It's school kids that subscribe to these sort of Youtube channels.

Sadly, that's who developers and publishers are going to target now. They will aim to develop a game in under a week that will keep the attention of a few hundred thousand school kids for a few days and hope it goes viral. And nothing can stop it.
post #19 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post




This is one distinction with iOS and consoles - the social media part and free to play or low cost games. When a big title comes out on consoles, the marketing is more controlled and directed towards these big titles. With iOS, it can be anything...

it.

Marvin ! I got you !

There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life.

Frank Zappa

Reply

There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life.

Frank Zappa

Reply
post #20 of 31

I keep hearing this $50,000 number bandied about.  Is that what the developer was averaging per day, or was that the gross ad revenue?   Even if this is the gross, the developer supposedly gets 70%, so he was averaging at least $35000.   Not too shabby.  

post #21 of 31
Originally Posted by Hydrogen View Post
Marvin ! I got you !

 

SUNDAY SUNDAY SUNDAYYYYYYY! Automator vs. Marvin, live on the Apple TV WWF channel!

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

 

Reply
post #22 of 31
It's actually a great PR stunt to pull the most popular app at it's peak. Everyone still playing will have to share their devices (aka socialize in person) with others in order to see how far they can get. In return, the app popularity will continue to soar, with double ad revenue for each banner generated. the last update recently on the App Store last week fixed the control issue and added the .Gears logo to the start up screen.

Bottom line: it will get these kids to download other titles available. there are 2 others on the App Store. They have 4 other games according to their website. Pulling the app now will mean they have a shot at another .Gears title becoming a hit very soon.
post #23 of 31
And that headline and sub-line wasn't intended to make us think that the developer was angry at Apple for some reason? Click bait again.
post #24 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydrogen View Post

Marvin ! I got you !

Cool, there's an app for me.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/id813704258?mt=12

I love the description:

"Marvin is your intelligent personal digital assistant.

"Utilising a unique voice recognition technology, Marvin is able to respond to your commands without you having to press a button - he's always listening and waiting."

Even from the other side of the room you can ask Marvin things like:

- What's the time?
- Will it rain today?
- Start timer.
- Radio Alarm on.
- Start Music.
- Help!

If you want Marvin to stop listening, just say "Go to sleep" - he'll then sleep until you say "Wake up".

Marvin can also perform other useful functions like playing tracks from your iTunes library or waking you up in the morning with the radio.

How come Marvin's voice recognition is so accurate?

Marvin has a finite set of commands he is expecting to hear; this helps him understand you with great accuracy. There is also a short (5 minute) voice training phase during which Marvin will learn to respond to your voice.

Visit http://bit.ly/MacMarvin to see Marvin in action!"

Whoa, that last link better not have my secret sex tape on it.
post #25 of 31
Making $50,000 per day is so painful. My sympathies.

Please update the AppleInsider app to function in landscape mode.

Reply

Please update the AppleInsider app to function in landscape mode.

Reply
post #26 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd_in_sb View Post

Making $50,000 per day is so painful. My sympathies.

 

He may have pulled in, that just means no new users.  He may still make boatloads off the existing user base.

post #27 of 31

looks too much like Mario bros.

 

I'm sure Nintendo served him papers.  Nintendo needs the money

post #28 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

looks too much like Mario bros.

I'm sure Nintendo served him papers.  Nintendo needs the money

Nintendo denies asking Apple to take it down. The developer himself said it had nothing to do with any legal issues either
https://twitter.com/dongatory/status/432228383095668737
http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/nintendo-did-not-force-flappy-bird-creator-dong-nguyen-remove-game-app-store-1435844
Edited by Gatorguy - 2/10/14 at 11:25am
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #29 of 31
"Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men? The Shadow knows. "
to be continued . . .

When I find time to rewrite the laws of Physics, there'll Finally be some changes made round here!

I am not crazy! Three out of five court appointed psychiatrists said so.

Reply

When I find time to rewrite the laws of Physics, there'll Finally be some changes made round here!

I am not crazy! Three out of five court appointed psychiatrists said so.

Reply
post #30 of 31
I will have to go with Publicity stunt. If the guy was only doing it because he could not take it any longer he would have pulled the game immediately with no waiting period before removal. He gave a period of time before it was taken down and the story went viral. Downloads of the game spiked as people rushed to ensure they had their copy of this software. So now he has hundreds of thousands more if not millions more players making more ad revenue. And they are new players so the revenue will drop off slower than if he had just silently pulled the app. Flappy Birds will likely be back with a newer version in the not too distant future, but even if it is not, he will make lots of money.
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
Reply
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
Reply
post #31 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1nf3cted View Post

The reason why this game went viral is because it essentially has become an internet meme. Popular YouTuber "PewDiePie" uploaded a video of him playing it -- he has 22 million subscribers, meaning that gave the game a lot of traction. Also, it became a trend to post vine videos (on the popular app "Vine"). These videos are also spread throughout other popular social media sites -- this is how the game has become a meme.

@Sporlo, I think the App Store reviews referring to possession and the devil is part of this meme. People have been making up stories about how this game has caused them to lose their life and sanity to the addictive qualities of this game. It's a bit of an ongoing dark-humor joke about this game.

I think that all of these jokes, videos, and internet memes being created in reference to this game, is part of the reason why the creator has taken down the game. I, personally, don't believe that is a justified reason to take a game that makes him $50k a day, but it's what he felt was the right thing to do.

Well, I did not know that, and it puts a lot of this in perspective. While I would never 100% rule out a publicity stunt, my reaction is to simply take him at his word that he just got frustrated with the response to his game.

 

Another thing that I can't join in on are the relentless claims that it makes no sense to give up $50k/day. I mean seriously, it sounds like Walter White complaining about Jesse Pinkman wanting to cash out at pennies on the dollar, but for $5 MILLION! We always complain about people having too much money, and yet it's somehow UNTHINKABLE that a guy would give up $50k/day (when he has already made quite a lot prior), WITH a legitimate reason. It's his choice anyway, just leave him alone.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Developer of unexpected iOS hit Flappy Bird pulls title from App Store