or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Google has fooled the media and markets, but hasn't bested Tim Cook's Apple

Google has fooled the media and markets, but hasn't bested Tim Cook's Apple - Page 8

post #281 of 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoNonsense View Post

We are talking about negative news. How can that be good for Apple? Wonder why Samsung, Google, Amazon and Microsoft spent millions on ads trashing apple products? To create negative image and alter consumers behaviors!

Take the high ground. Apple should spend $$$ on promoting its products and not responding to nonsense. Why give others ad space in your ads? Smart consumers would then state "why are they trashing these guys? Let me find out why."
post #282 of 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsTheInternet View Post

Can you cite these please? I must have missed out on them. The numbers do seem pretty dubious but I find it hard to believe that Android based media players make much of an impact on them.

Here is one article and it was wildly debated here IA that anything and everything that has some semblance of android on it is being rolled up into the overall market share that Android is out preforming everything else. To my point those are the lies behind the 80%. If you going to measure IOS against Android you have to limit it to the same application which are cell phones. The problem is any company can grab android and basterize it to do what they want since they can down load the code for free. The real question is how many android devices are shipping in true smart phone, and not a dumb down versing of Android to make it look like a smart phone.

http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2013/11/18/apple-android-tv-stick/

Oh it reference the article here as well, but others have pointed this fact out but wall street has ignore this piece of information and Google only publish Android activation, and no one has valid this since they are not selling it thus not subject to any financial audits.

Edited by Maestro64 - 2/18/14 at 3:59pm
post #283 of 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Nothing that Google does seem to have any effect. From crap products like the Google Wave to partnering with HW manufacturers. Same can be said for their stock, though I see no relation to its price and what Google does.

Nota bene: Pagerank < Larry Page. Narcist.

Thanks for explaining the patent!

It's entirely possible that page rank wasn't named after Larry but named because it ranks Internet pages.
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
post #284 of 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoNonsense View Post

Even though I agree with facts in this article, I must say Tim Cook is responsible for AAPL stock performance. Many big institute investors lost confidence when Cook failed to defend the stock while it was falling like penny stock due to false rumors and perceptions. Cook said in the conference call that he doesn't feel like spending energy defending false rumors. Well, Mr. Cook, that's what your PR department is for. When you are running the largest company in the world, you can't have your PR department going on vacation while the stock was falling like penny stock. Cook can learn a lot from Elon Musk who goes online to defend every negative article or news. Perception matter. That's how you get high multiple PE. Financial institutes don't like their investments swing like penny stock. I don't think Jobs would allow that to happen. Can you blame the big investors to put low PE on Cook? Cook can't talk and articulate vision for Apple. And he doesn't know how to defend Apple stock, so the stock suffered. That's all there is.

I have to agree with that you said here. The only thing Cook did was to tell everyone not to pay attention of supply chain rumors, but it did not help. I believe cook is following a formula which was set down by Steve, but it works for Steve it does no work for others. Steve refuse to discuss rumors and such, he wanted to make everyone see things his way. Cook has to go on the defensive and attack the critics and show the market they have not clue what they are saying, show the lies behind the stats as I pointed out. But he has to do it with out doing what every other company does which is to talk about future products. In this day and age, the copy machines in china can turn out your idea fast then it take to talk about the idea to the press, you can not even hit at what you are doing otherwise Samsung will still the idea and make the cheap knockoff.

post #285 of 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

It's entirely possible that page rank wasn't named after Larry but named because it ranks Internet pages.

That was my thought as well, until Gatorguy wrote that he thought it might be named after Larry. So I went to wiki which said it was named after Larry, with a link to the source: Facts about Google and Competition, How Google Search Works

"The first and most well known is PageRank, named for Larry Page (Google’s co-founder and CEO)"
post #286 of 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

That was my thought as well, until Gatorguy wrote that he thought it might be named after Larry. So I went to wiki which said it was named after Larry, with a link to the source: Facts about Google and Competition, How Google Search Works

"The first and most well known is PageRank, named for Larry Page (Google’s co-founder and CEO)"

It makes for fun etymology but in my experience the better story typically isn't the the truthful one. I can see the comparison having been seen immediately and it certainly sounds better than SiteRank but I think it would still be PageRank if Larry's last name was Di'aria.

PS: Apple's employment site is definitely named after its founder¡

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #287 of 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Man! What a way to wake up!

👍 👍
post #288 of 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Cook clearly isn't the showman Jobs was but I've never gotten the impression that Cook had a far inferior desire for quality and precision. In fact, I would argue that Cook's drive for unheard of efficiency is part of the same psychology that was present in Jobs, and probably why Cook was the primary choice as CEO. As an owner of a Retina MBP and an iPhone 5S I see no evidence that attention to detail has waned.

Same here. Late in 2013, I purchased a 13" MBA, a Retina iPad Mini and an iPhone 5s...  every one of them is precision crafted to the smallest detail. Nothing visible is even so much as a hair's breadth out of alignment, every seam perfect. The finish is pretty much flawless, and I've looked them over very carefully.

And that's just how the look. They're beautiful to look at and beautifully finished, but also solidly constructed, high-performance/high efficiency devices.

My iPad lasts most of the day, and costs under $2 a year on my electric bill to keep fully charged.  My MBA lasts all day, and I'm able to run all my major (aka 'pro') level apps on it. My iPhone is my only phone, my camera and my "PDA" (timer/alarm, calendar/reminders, weather, stocks, etc.)...

The only potential weak point in any of this might be the iPhone's battery life, that is, if I tried to use it in place of the other two... but I don't, and so I typically get two days of use between charges.

Software UX, UI, ecosystem, performance, quality and finish of the hardware, yeah... it adds up to an excruciating level of detail that has to be running from top to bottom in that organization.

This is a huge part of why I'm an Apple customer.

Edited by tribalogical - 2/19/14 at 12:18pm
post #289 of 299

Use those stretches of silence from AAPL to buy shares of your favorite company on sale.  

post #290 of 299
This was a very interesting article. Tim Cook & Company are doing a fantastic job at making money while producing excellently made products. It is not easy to do this. Who else is doing both with these margins ? There will be more products coming when the time is right & they will be great. While I can imagine a few like everyone else, no one in the press knows exactly what Apple is going to do. The articles we read are fluff written by authors who publish such for money. If you follow the products closely, the feature advances, the software advances, you can often be a year ahead of what is published. But in the end, you just do not know what they will do next. Apple has plenty of products in the design labs that work; bringing them to mass market is a job in itself.

I have complete confidence in Tim Cook & Company and put a fairly large percentage of my retirement money in AAPL. Note this is not the company we bought in 1984 or even earlier - it is vastly improved and is very, very profitable and continues to be creative.

I commend Apple in being able to bring production of the Mac Pro back to the US. Our country has sent too much manufacturing overseas and too much technology has been stolen, copied, and otherwise given away. Until Manufacturing returns to the US, our economy will continue to have difficulties - we need American Jobs.

I challenge the other companies & industrial sectors to adopt a meaningful Corporate Goal of bringing a certain amount overseas manufacturing (that makes sense) back to the US; and also guard the technology. It is just too easy to steal or reverse engineer technology today. I applaud Apple on being silent on products to be released - don't give away the farm if you do not have to do so.
post #291 of 299
"double posts because Safari keeps on crashing. It really hates this site."

Works fine with Chrome.....
post #292 of 299
As a shareholder, I found this an interesting read, the only problem is it is only on AppleInsider. This will only be read by fanbios, not the general market, you should sell this articule to a site that has a wider readership and gets picked up in the news feed of some of the more popular share ticker sites, like Seeking Alpha/Google Finance, etc.
post #293 of 299
Love the article only one criticism

Apple is made of many Great people and they all have their part to play with the success of Apple

And don't forget your selves loyal customers
post #294 of 299
The problem with this article is that it is rear looking. Stocks are not valued based on their past if their future is viewed differently. Apple's markets are maturing. If Apple does not create a LARGE new category (relative to current revenues) then Apple's ability to grow is limited. In 2013 Apple stopped growing profits because their markets matured. Therefore, without a new, successful product category Apple's stock is dead money. Reality bites.
post #295 of 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey458 View Post

The problem with this article is that it is rear looking. Stocks are not valued based on their past if their future is viewed differently. Apple's markets are maturing. If Apple does not create a LARGE new category (relative to current revenues) then Apple's ability to grow is limited. In 2013 Apple stopped growing profits because their markets matured. Therefore, without a new, successful product category Apple's stock is dead money. Reality bites.

According to this 27% of Chinese smartphone users use phones valued at $US500 or more, Apple has 80% of that market.

There are now 700 million smartphone users in China times 27% times 80% equals 151 million iPhone users.

Whaddayamean no growth?

Most popular App for sub $300 Android phones = "wallpapers".

Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
post #296 of 299
What do I mean no growth? Look at Apple's revenues and earnings in 2013 vs 2012. Apple was growing rapidly between 09- 2012. It ended in 2013 because Apple's end markets matured. I'm not saying Apple can't grow. I am saying the real growth is in the past. Who knows, maybe Apple will invent another new category that scales like the iPhone. Or maybe somebody else will. Uh oh...

And your math... They call that Chinese math. And that's not a complement.
post #297 of 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey458 View Post

What do I mean no growth? Look at Apple's revenues and earnings in 2013 vs 2012. Apple was growing rapidly between 09- 2012. It ended in 2013 because Apple's end markets matured. I'm not saying Apple can't grow. I am saying the real growth is in the past. Who knows, maybe Apple will invent another new category that scales like the iPhone. Or maybe somebody else will. Uh oh...

And your math... They call that Chinese math. And that's not a complement.

iTunes revenue growth.

Apple makes more from iTunes revenue than all the handset makers apart from Samsung, added together.

post #298 of 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

iTunes revenue growth.

Apple makes more from iTunes revenue than all the handset makers apart from Samsung, added together.

That's quite impressive and sad at the same time.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
post #299 of 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

According to this 27% of Chinese smartphone users use phones valued at $US500 or more, Apple has 80% of that market.

There are now 700 million smartphone users in China times 27% times 80% equals 151 million iPhone users.

Whaddayamean no growth?

Most popular App for sub $300 Android phones = "wallpapers".

More math...

If it's true that "27% of all Chinese smartphone users buy >$500 phones", AND that "Apple owns 80% of that market", then it means that Apple owns roughly 22% of the entire Chinese smartphone market.

If the numbers are right, it's pretty impressive.

And they're only just getting started with China Mobile. 

Another important number I'd like to know:  What percent of all Chinese mobile phone users are Smartphone Users? How big is that market today in real terms, not just "potential"?

If, for example, smartphone users represent 25% of the whole market, then Apple would own about 5% of the entire mobile phone market in China, with plenty of room to grow...

Does anyone have those numbers handy? :)

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Google has fooled the media and markets, but hasn't bested Tim Cook's Apple
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Google has fooled the media and markets, but hasn't bested Tim Cook's Apple