or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › ABC will live stream Oscars to iOS devices for first time, but with restrictions
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

ABC will live stream Oscars to iOS devices for first time, but with restrictions

post #1 of 26
Thread Starter 
ABC on Thursday announced that it will be live streaming the 86th Academy Awards to the Web and mobile devices, including Apple's iOS lineup, but plans to limit access to subscribers of certain pay-TV providers in specific areas of the country.

Oscars


According to Variety, ABC is restricting the Oscars live stream to Watch ABC users, both on the Web and on mobile, who subscribe to eight specific providers in eight owned-station regions.

Participating providers include AT&T U-verse, Cablevision, Charter Communications, Comcast, Cox Communications, Google Fiber, Midcontinent Communications and Verizon FiOS. The live stream will be available in Los Angeles, San Francisco, Fresno, Calif., Houston, Chicago, Raleigh-Durham, N.C., Philadelphia and New York.

Along with the Web version, ABC will be piping multiple live feeds to users of the Watch ABC iOS app, including behind-the-scenes coverage from 15 backstage cameras. Sponsored once again by Samsung Galaxy, the "Oscars Backstage" content is available to all users regardless of location or provider. Previously, these special feeds were given their own app.

Video highlights and "Oscars Backstage" clips will be made available shortly after they air live, which translates to 5-10 minutes, the publication said. For the first time, ABC will also post coverage of the show's musical performances.

After the festivities, ABC will grant verified users access to an on-demand version of the entire pre-show and telecast for three days.

ABC's move to limit access to certain viewers is part of a larger plan to maintain leverage in negotiations with cable, satellite and other TV operators, Variety says. The network is looking to charge providers an extra fee for subscriber access to premium Watch ABC content.

Subscribers to the above-mentioned cable providers who live in eight specific regions can access ABC's coverage via Oscar.com, ABC.com, WatchABC.com and the Watch ABC app, which is available as a free 47.8MB download from the App Store.
post #2 of 26
Ugh. Typical.

They can stuff it.
post #3 of 26
kinda insane how broadcasters and cable companies think they can stop their inevitable extinction. Ass moves like this, limiting web access will only hasten their extinction.
post #4 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingela View Post

kinda insane how broadcasters and cable companies think they can stop their inevitable extinction. Ass moves like this, limiting web access will only hasten their extinction.

I think it is related to the fact that the cable companies have already paid the broadcaster for that content and it wouldn't be fair to the cable company or their subscribers for the broadcaster to give the content away for free to non cable subscribers.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #5 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I think it is related to the fact that the cable companies have already paid the broadcaster for that content and it wouldn't be fair to the cable company or their subscribers for the broadcaster to give the content away for free to non cable subscribers.

 



It's called trying to hold on to dying business by any means necessary. It's staggering when even major big money players like Apple and Intel cannot break into an industry because the unwillingness of the symbiotic-only-game-in-town institution of the cable and broadcast industries. Which like all established players, want to keep things just the way they are. Not going to happen. Just like how Apple and Google went around the Microsoft monopoly with the advent of the internet, the same thing will happen here. Technology will find a way around stagnant complacent dinosaurs.
post #6 of 26

I'm covered, unsure whether that ups the odds I'll watch though.

post #7 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingela View Post
 
It's called trying to hold on to dying business by any means necessary. It's staggering when even major big money players like Apple and Intel cannot break into an industry because the unwillingness of the symbiotic-only-game-in-town institution of the cable and broadcast industries. Which like all established players, want to keep things just the way they are. Not going to happen. Just like how Apple and Google went around the Microsoft monopoly with the advent of the internet, the same thing will happen here. Technology will find a way around stagnant complacent dinosaurs.

I hear you but from a business perspective everyone has to make money. You can't give stuff away for free and stay in business. The actors get paid the auditorium gets paid, the caters get paid, the camera operators get paid... shall I go on? Why do you think it should all be free for the viewers? Well, it is free if you can get it OTA, but that is another thread. I'm not sure why it is only available in the major markets but perhaps it was too expensive for so many smaller operators to pay for the set up. 

 

You did notice that Google fiber was one of the networks included so it is not impossible for the new players to get in on the action? Apple so far has chosen not to become a network, which I think they might someday.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #8 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I hear you but from a business perspective everyone has to make money. You can't give stuff away for free and stay in business. The actors get paid the auditorium gets paid, the caters get paid, the camera operators get paid... shall I go on? Why do you think it should all be free for the viewers? Well, it is free if you can get it OTA, but that is another thread. I'm not sure why it is only available in the major markets but perhaps it was too expensive for so many smaller operators to pay for the set up. 

 

You did notice that Google fiber was one of the networks included so it is not impossible for the new players to get in on the action? Apple so far has chosen not to become a network, which I think they might someday.

 



as far as I know it is all paid by advertisers, how does that change the equation? That argument is moot. It has nothing to do with that, it has to do with control. An unattainable control as the music industry was the first to learn. The actors et all are paid by advertising revenue. As far as I know, it will only allow the advertisers to reach a wider audience.
post #9 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingela View Post
 
as far as I know it is all paid by advertisers, how does that change the equation? That argument is moot. It has nothing to do with that, it has to do with control. An unattainable control as the music industry was the first to learn. The actors et all are paid by advertising revenue. As far as I know, it will only allow the advertisers to reach a wider audience.

I think advertising pays for some of it. Do you remember last year when Time Warner did not renew their contract with ABC because they could not come to terms? I'm not sure how much it was but probably billions not millions. The cable providers have to buy the content from the broadcasters. The cable companies also have local ads too. If the content is streaming from the net they loose eyeballs on their local ads. There are a lot aspects to this and it is live which adds another factor. It is not as simple as you imply.  I really think you are being too emotional about this and it is clouding your perception. It is just like the super bowl or the world series. It is a big deal and it is live. That is one of the things about iTunes that can't compete with cable, is live sports, news, and the Oscars, etc.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #10 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post
 

I think advertising pays for some of it. Do you remember last year when Time Warner did not renew their contract with ABC because they could not come to terms? I'm not sure how much it was but probably billions not millions. The cable providers have to buy the content from the broadcasters. The cable companies also have local ads too. If the content is streaming from the net they loose eyeballs on their local ads. There are a lot aspects to this and it is live which adds another factor. It is not as simple as you imply.  I really think you are being too emotional about this and it is clouding your perception. It is just like the super bowl or the world series. It is a big deal and it is live. That is one of the things about iTunes that can't compete with cable, is live sports, news, and the Oscars, etc.

Maybe you are right and my judgement may be clouded. I can see your point there, but it is true that people are cutting the cord.  And whatever the case may be, more people are turning to Netflix and watching their favorite programming on the net instead of through cable subscriptions. This is fact. Then there is Aereo, which hopefully quickly pushes everyone's hand into the inevitable.

post #11 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingela View Post
 
Maybe you are right and my judgement may be clouded. I can see your point there, but it is true that people are cutting the cord.  And whatever the case may be, more people are turning to Netflix and watching their favorite programming on the net instead of through cable subscriptions. This is fact. Then there is Aereo, which hopefully quickly pushes everyone's hand into the inevitable.

Honestly, I understand your frustration with the cable services. I despise them but to live without their service, you have to lower your expectations a little. I'm particularly annoyed that I can't get a month to month subscription. I'm in the States for a month at a time several times a year but I have to pay full price all year long when often I'm not even using 1k of data or 1 minute of TV. Well at least the housekeeper gets to watch her novelas.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #12 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingela View Post

kinda insane how broadcasters and cable companies think they can stop their inevitable extinction. Ass moves like this, limiting web access will only hasten their extinction.

How are the companies that control the web go extinct?
"I got the answer by talking in my brain and I agreed of the answer my brain got" a 7 yr old explaining his math HW
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"I got the answer by talking in my brain and I agreed of the answer my brain got" a 7 yr old explaining his math HW
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #13 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingela View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I hear you but from a business perspective everyone has to make money. You can't give stuff away for free and stay in business. The actors get paid the auditorium gets paid, the caters get paid, the camera operators get paid... shall I go on? Why do you think it should all be free for the viewers? Well, it is free if you can get it OTA, but that is another thread. I'm not sure why it is only available in the major markets but perhaps it was too expensive for so many smaller operators to pay for the set up. 

 

You did notice that Google fiber was one of the networks included so it is not impossible for the new players to get in on the action? Apple so far has chosen not to become a network, which I think they might someday.

 



as far as I know it is all paid by advertisers, how does that change the equation? That argument is moot. It has nothing to do with that, it has to do with control. An unattainable control as the music industry was the first to learn. The actors et all are paid by advertising revenue. As far as I know, it will only allow the advertisers to reach a wider audience.

No it's not all paid for by advertising.
"I got the answer by talking in my brain and I agreed of the answer my brain got" a 7 yr old explaining his math HW
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"I got the answer by talking in my brain and I agreed of the answer my brain got" a 7 yr old explaining his math HW
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #14 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post


How are the companies that control the web go extinct?

 

government intervention..breakthrough technologies..

post #15 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post


No it's not all paid for by advertising.

well until recently, abc, cbs, nbc was all brought to us free over the air by advertising, 

post #16 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingela View Post

government intervention..breakthrough technologies..

It was government that gave these companies the power that they have, without it the networks would've never gotten built. What breakthrough technologies? The internet is not delivered by dust spreading fairies.
"I got the answer by talking in my brain and I agreed of the answer my brain got" a 7 yr old explaining his math HW
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"I got the answer by talking in my brain and I agreed of the answer my brain got" a 7 yr old explaining his math HW
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #17 of 26
Dont these cable companies already have tv apps for,ios, so that people can watch live tv on their ios devices?

If i wanted to watch the oscars, which I probably dont, then i can simply open up the time warner tv app on my ios device and watch the oscars.
post #18 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post


It was government that gave these companies the power that they have, without it the networks would've never gotten built. What breakthrough technologies? The internet is not delivered by dust spreading fairies.

 

So they should have monopolies forever? True competition will allow breakthrough technologies to bypass entrenched cable providers

post #19 of 26
I almost got excited for a moment. It's so stupid ABC is doing this and locking content behind a cable subscription. One of the older versions of their app allowed anyone to view their shows.
My blender/recipe blog: http://blenderinsider.com
Reply
My blender/recipe blog: http://blenderinsider.com
Reply
post #20 of 26
This is what the Internet will be like when Net Neutrality is murdered.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #21 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingela View Post

So they should have monopolies forever? True competition will allow breakthrough technologies to bypass entrenched cable providers

No but there aren't many companies that can afford to build a second or third network.
"I got the answer by talking in my brain and I agreed of the answer my brain got" a 7 yr old explaining his math HW
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"I got the answer by talking in my brain and I agreed of the answer my brain got" a 7 yr old explaining his math HW
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #22 of 26
Wait, people actually still watch the Oscar award show?
/bs
Reply
/bs
Reply
post #23 of 26
The Oscars. Certainly the most important issue facing the USA. Americans are too easily distracted by useless bullshit.
post #24 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeowulfSchmidt View Post

Wait, people actually still watch the Oscar award show?

Still one of the highest rated shows of the year.
"I got the answer by talking in my brain and I agreed of the answer my brain got" a 7 yr old explaining his math HW
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"I got the answer by talking in my brain and I agreed of the answer my brain got" a 7 yr old explaining his math HW
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #25 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Still one of the highest rated shows of the year.

Yes, people are stupid.
post #26 of 26

Nothing like driving potential subscribers into the arms of Aereo!  I like their strategy - I like it a lot!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • ABC will live stream Oscars to iOS devices for first time, but with restrictions
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › ABC will live stream Oscars to iOS devices for first time, but with restrictions