or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Investors › AAPL Investors › Tim Cook to shareholders: iPhone 5s & 5c outpace predecessors, Apple bought 23 companies in 16 months

Tim Cook to shareholders: iPhone 5s & 5c outpace predecessors, Apple bought 23 companies in 16... - Page 3

post #81 of 95
Originally Posted by ruel24 View Post
When, oh when, is Apple going to come out with something new? Something revolutionary? Something that makes a complete shift in paradigm? Those days are gone...

Shut up and go away.

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.

post #82 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruel24 View Post

When, oh when, is Apple going to come out with something new? Something revolutionary? Something that makes a complete shift in paradigm? Those days are gone...

Getting tired of waiting for Samsung, Microsoft, Google etc to do something on their own eh? Apple's just giving them a turn to have a go at it. They're not used to it so it'll take a bit of time. Samsung has fumbled around making a watch, who knows what Google's doing, finding new ways to shove ads in your face I guess. Let's give them a chance though and not rush them, we wouldn't want them to bring something half-assed to market (again). Look what happened with Google Glass, not even 1 million units projected this year:

http://marketingland.com/bi-report-google-glass-will-sell-21-million-units-by-2018-66123

and the users are being victimized:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/02/27/google_glass_hate_crime/

Android watches sold 1.2 million in all of 2013:

http://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/galaxy-gear-top-selling-smartwatch/

The Galaxy Gear is estimated at around 500k units for 3 months, not the 800k for 2 months channel stuffing Samsung reported and that's still including bundling them with phones.

Microsoft (as if they're still relevant), is doing ever so well with their Surface:

http://www.zdnet.com/microsofts-q2-strong-surface-revenue-hits-893-million-7000025521/

"Surface sales came in at $893 million, double from the first quarter... the company noted that cost of revenue for the Surface was $932 million, pointing to a $39 million shortfall."

C'mon Apple help these guys out, all their fans are begging that you do something cool for them to copy and then claim what you did was irrelevant and obvious. Or y'know just bleed their profitability dry and let them choke on their own incompetence, whatever.
post #83 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post
 Look what happened with Google Glass,..

I wonder if she had permission to film on private premises, sounds like she's the one who broke the law.

Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
post #84 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Yeah I'm fine with that as long as it's not increasing prices. I don't want to pay more for something because Apple feels it needs to pander to the environmental lobby.
since when is taking care of the environment "pandering"? If you are a shareholder I suggest that you too take Tim's advice and take a hike. It's refreshing to see a major corporation that actually has a soul and isn't afraid to stand up for what is right beyond selfish interests.
post #85 of 95
Originally Posted by FreeRange View Post
since when is taking care of the environment "pandering"?

When it asks for ludicrously unreasonable behavior, just like the opposite end of the spectrum.

Not sure how that’s confusing.

post #86 of 95
I think it was "get out of the bloody stock".

Thank goodness that TC didn't pander to the bottom feeder climate change deniers. I'm glad to see only 2.95% of people at the meeting were that thick.

Edit: he actually said "I don't consider the bloody ROI"
Edited by Lerxt - 3/2/14 at 10:21pm
post #87 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disturbia View Post

Priceless ...

~~Cook bristled with a reply that "we do a lot of things for reasons besides profit motive," and recommended that anyone who had a problem with that "should get out of the stock."

Then again, I guess Tim and The Gang have had enough and the War with Wall Street Dumb Fatties has begun!

Tim Cook starting a private war with Wall Street will only cause Apple to lose more shareholder value as the stock will only continue to get punished due to investors looking elsewhere for gains.  Gains through companies that care little about things like climate change and are more interested in returning shareholder value to investors.  You won't find too many CEOs telling investors to "take a hike" which is basically telling all of Wall Street not to invest in the company.  Most CEOs probably wouldn't have said anything to deliberately start a war with investors.

post #88 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Constable Odo View Post

Tim Cook starting a private war with Wall Street will only cause Apple to lose more shareholder value as the stock will only continue to get punished due to investors looking elsewhere for gains.  Gains through companies that care little about things like climate change and are more interested in returning shareholder value to investors.  You won't find too many CEOs telling investors to "take a hike" which is basically telling all of Wall Street not to invest in the company.  Most CEOs probably wouldn't have said anything to deliberately start a war with investors.

...and?

Apple don't need investors money, they have plenty of their own.

This more than anything else is what drives Wall St nuts.

post #89 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

I wonder if she had permission to film on private premises, sounds like she's the one who broke the law.

Exactly, as these videos show, people quite rightly don't want a camera pointing at them all the time:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CONgeNlxVug
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ym7x7twSoqc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lP3N_nUcilI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5FTVym8cAA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7tBHV0xu68

The cameraman at some points says that they were ok with the surveillance cameras in stores but the difference is that a person chooses to walk into an area with surveillance and it can be avoided. The cameraman is making the choice to film and track people with intent. This is the same with glasses. It's difficult to avoid though without making the whole thing much less useful unless they perhaps have a removable front-facing camera or a hardware cover and simply use a depth tracker to superimpose graphics into the view. It's the lens that people react to, the glass in front of the eye is fine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 

I hope that the majority of voting stockholders understand what Tim means when he says these things. There's a lot of institutional investors and they might not care about the ethics of the business. While they could sell stock, the largest voting shareholders collectively might be able to replace the board and the employees - fortunately I think there's enough spread that this is an unlikely event and there's no reason to do this while Apple has record sales. Tim Cook isn't saying they intend to lose all their money, they just don't make money their driving purpose. They put their energy into making good products and services and if buyers agree then they'll make profit from it and their history has proven them right so far. If they don't make enough profit then it's not that they'll do what they think is wrong, they'll still come up with a way to do something they're happy with but in a different way.

The examples of competing companies shows this. They make watches, TVs, glasses, all sorts of different varieties of everything and they still make less income than Apple. The problem when you have a secret roadmap is that there's nothing for people to trust except for the PR. Steve Jobs had a longer history behind him and so I think there was more trust but even then, the media didn't give their launch products an easy time. Tim is an easier target now but people are just going to have to learn to trust him. He's more than proved he is capable of managing the company well. People also need to realise that the company doesn't depend on the one person at the top so it doesn't matter if people like Tim or not, the company has tens of thousand of staff, many of whom have been there for years and driven their past success.
post #90 of 95

A number of people commented about Gore being on the board and what value he brings. First I am not saying he does bring value, I do not know enough about his current activities to know if he is no more than a figure head.

With that said, it actually very smart for a company like Apple to have some one who is government and politically connected. No company today can operate free of government involvement. Look how many time Apple has been invited to DC and all their dealing with the US government both from selling them technology to laws and regulations. If Gore is still well connected in DC it is a good ideal to have him on the board since he can help sell their view of the world without paying lobbying firms like many companies do today.

Most people do not know this, but our government can shape the future of technologies, they can push on or an other and forces standards. There are classes you can take called Technology and Public Polices, and it talks about how the US government technology policy drive business successes and failures.

If Gore is serving the role of Apple conduit into Washinton DC than he has value on the board.

post #91 of 95
Quote:

...and?

While I truly enjoyed your comment but kind of agree with Constable Odo. You shouldn't fight with Wall Street because you lose. Just like that. Doesn't matter how many billions of $$ you've got in bank.

Tim is smart and knows exactly how to deal with these guys. What happened that day, I believe, he didn't appreciate some stockholders trying to cross that red line and telling Cook how he should run his company.

There are already a number of so-called ANALysts who keep posting BS that Apple is gonna go down if they don't do this or that! That's OK. But, things become serious if someone wants to tell you all that and right in your face!!

....the lack of properly optimized apps is one of the reasons "why the experience on Android tablets is so crappy".

Tim Cook ~ The Wall Street Journal - February 7, 2014

Inside Google! 

....the lack of properly optimized apps is one of the reasons "why the experience on Android tablets is so crappy".

Inside Google! 

post #92 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ Web View Post

I didn't mention ads. I said Apple should monetize its reach by releasing a Paypal competing wallet app, a Whatsapp competing communicator, a Pandora competing music service, or you know, anything remotely original invented under Apple's roof since Steve's tragic demise. 

Let me phrase it another way. Apple, under Tim Cook's management, has literally bored investors and Wall Street to death! Now let me guess... iPhone 6 will have a 4" screen although consumers have been clamoring for a 5 incher?

"a Pandora competing music service" — you mean like iTunes Radio?

Your very incorrect assumption is that they're not doing these things. Just because you don't know what they're doing doesn't mean they're doing nothing; only a fool would assume they're sitting on their thumbs.

post #93 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleDigger View Post

This is the Apple Investor forum, isn't it? I think a little frustration with the share price is pretty understandable.

2 years ago Apple stock was about $522 a share. Today? $527

2 years ago Amazon was about $160. today? $320
2 years ago Google was $607. Today? $1,215.

Two stocks doubled in value. One stock (for clearly the best compnay) has essentially not changed. Pretty good reason for some frustration. I don't think it is too much to ask for Cook to make some attempt at least to create a little buzz to get the stock moving. We don't invest not to make any money, do we?

I was poking fun at the typical knee-jerk "I mean just look at Tim Cook!" sentiments, which are far more common on places like Forbes (or any number of click-bait generators' comment threads). 

By all measures (except stock price as you and others are so quick to point out), Cook has been an exemplary leader. Doing something to "create buzz" to move the stock would be the first major indicator to me that he is not.

And are we selectively ignoring that AAPL reached $700 on Cook's watch? Or that they grew into the behemoth they are now with no small part from Cook's expertise? Please, let's be real here.

post #94 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disturbia View Post

While I truly enjoyed your comment but kind of agree with Constable Odo. You shouldn't fight with Wall Street because you lose. Just like that. Doesn't matter how many billions of $$ you've got in bank.

Tim is smart and knows exactly how to deal with these guys. What happened that day, I believe, he didn't appreciate some stockholders trying to cross that red line and telling Cook how he should run his company.

There are already a number of so-called ANALysts who keep posting BS that Apple is gonna go down if they don't do this or that! That's OK. But, things become serious if someone wants to tell you all that and right in your face!!

So If Apple's share price dropped to zero, they'd just buy it all up, turn private and carry on business as usual, making hundreds of billions of cash dollars selling stuff.

Of course that is not likely to happen.
post #95 of 95
Quote:

So If Apple's share price dropped to zero, they'd just buy it all up, turn private and carry on business as usual, making hundreds of billions of cash dollars selling stuff.

Of course that is not likely to happen.

Yes my friend, it's not gonna happen. There are rules you have to live by .... no matter how crazy you are or wanna be ;)

Inside Google! 

Inside Google! 

Return Home
  Back to Forum: AAPL Investors
AppleInsider › Forums › Investors › AAPL Investors › Tim Cook to shareholders: iPhone 5s & 5c outpace predecessors, Apple bought 23 companies in 16 months