or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Google Photowall turns your TV into a crowdsourced pinboard, Loopy HD goes half-off
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Google Photowall turns your TV into a crowdsourced pinboard, Loopy HD goes half-off - Page 2

post #41 of 67
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post
Here's a chart if it's easier for you to understand visually.

 

It’d be easier to understand if the chart wasn’t completely misleading.

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply
post #42 of 67

OK, I have an Apple TV and no Android devices, so obviously Chromecast is not for me and neither is Photowall. I'll leave it at that.

 

About Loopy HD, I wonder if it is useful given that I have Garageband. I guess at $3.99 I'll buy it anyway and see where it takes me.

post #43 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by BestKeptSecret View Post
 

OK, I have an Apple TV and no Android devices, so obviously Chromecast is not for me and neither is Photowall. I'll leave it at that.

 

About Loopy HD, I wonder if it is useful given that I have Garageband. I guess at $3.99 I'll buy it anyway and see where it takes me.

 

Yep, I was thinking the same thing.  I have very little (if any) musical talent, but really, for $3.99 ... ?  What do I have to lose (well, other than $3.99)? :)

post #44 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistercow View Post

What are the extra functionalities that Apple TV has over Chromecast?

It can mirror everything on your device, whereas chromecast can only cast videos, photos with additional apps and a few crappy games. Chromecast is not as good as Apple TV but is still worth the £30 in the UK.
post #45 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

It’d be easier to understand if the chart wasn’t completely misleading.

What's wrong with it specifically? Honest question.
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #46 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by baeder View Post

So, does it come with a remote control to allow it to stream some content without ANY other device, just a chrome cast hooked up to your TV? Or do you need to sling it from somewhere? My understanding is that someone with no computer or smart phone can still use an AppleTV.

So if this is the only electronic device in the house other than a wifi router to the internet (from your telecom), then which device is more useful or which is not useful at all?

Hmmm...

If someone doesn't have a smartphone, or laptop, or desktop computer then it's likely neither will be useful but it's possible someone with previous ownership of an Apple device and with an existing iTunes account might still be able to make limited use of an AppleTV. A Chromecast couldn't be used at all if you owned no other computing devices and no one else in the household did either. In reality I don't think either one would likely be purchased by someone owning no other computing device, or that they would have any use for it if they did.
Edited by Gatorguy - 3/25/14 at 6:20am
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #47 of 67
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post
What's wrong with it specifically? Honest question.

 

The chart beginning with “Do you have a 2011 Mac” and claiming anyone who doesn’t is out of luck doesn’t give me confidence that the rest of it is correct.

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply
post #48 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

The chart beginning with “Do you have a 2011 Mac” and claiming anyone who doesn’t is out of luck doesn’t give me confidence that the rest of it is correct.

Apple says the same exact same thing as the chart does, that it requires a Mac from mid-2011 or newer. Is Apple wrong?
" A supported Mac
AirPlay Mirroring in OS X takes advantage of the hardware capabilities of recent Macs to deliver high frame rates while maintaining optimal system performance. The following Mac models support AirPlay Mirroring::

iMac (Mid 2011 or newer)
Mac mini (Mid 2011 or newer)
MacBook Air (Mid 2011 or newer)
MacBook Pro (Early 2011 or newer)
Mac Pro (Late 2013)"
http://support.apple.com/kb/ht5404


Did you look at the rest of the chart I linked for any obvious errors? Their entire article is here:
http://www.tomsguide.com/us/how-to-stream-to-tv,news-18335.html
Edited by Gatorguy - 3/25/14 at 7:16am
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #49 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

The chart beginning with “Do you have a 2011 Mac” and claiming anyone who doesn’t is out of luck doesn’t give me confidence that the rest of it is correct.

I had doubts as well, but it looks correct.
http://support.apple.com/kb/ht5404
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #50 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

I had doubts as well, but it looks correct.
http://support.apple.com/kb/ht5404

That Apple Support doc is incorrect: people on a Mac Pro can only use the Late 2013 model is bogus; it works fine on my 5,1

edit: 'Banned'? What happened? Anyway, welcome back, I guess.
How to enter the Apple logo  on iOS:
/Settings/Keyboard/Shortcut and paste in  which you copied from an email draft or a note. Screendump
Reply
How to enter the Apple logo  on iOS:
/Settings/Keyboard/Shortcut and paste in  which you copied from an email draft or a note. Screendump
Reply
post #51 of 67
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post
I had doubts as well, but it looks correct.
http://support.apple.com/kb/ht5404


Yeah, that’s mirroring, which is right, but that’s not what the chart is about. The chart talks about sending media from a device to the TV, not the entire UI.

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
Reply
post #52 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

That Apple Support doc is incorrect: people on a Mac Pro can only use the Late 2013 model is bogus; it works fine on my 5,1

edit: 'Banned'? What happened? Anyway, welcome back, I guess.

3 day ban for arguing a little too enthusiastically with Marvin. lol.gif
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #53 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post


Yeah, that’s mirroring, which is right, but that’s not what the chart is about. The chart talks about sending media from a device to the TV, not the entire UI.

Ahh gotcha. The author was probably confused by that as well.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #54 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

3 day ban for arguing a little too enthusiastically with Marvin. lol.gif

Must've been some discussion. He usually provides great info, links and insightful views. Pity these usually get deleted; I'd like to read it.

Well, ok, 3 days offline can be good too.
How to enter the Apple logo  on iOS:
/Settings/Keyboard/Shortcut and paste in  which you copied from an email draft or a note. Screendump
Reply
How to enter the Apple logo  on iOS:
/Settings/Keyboard/Shortcut and paste in  which you copied from an email draft or a note. Screendump
Reply
post #55 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post


Yeah, that’s mirroring, which is right, but that’s not what the chart is about. The chart talks about sending media from a device to the TV, not the entire UI.

Hey, thanks TS. Very much appreciate the clarification. 1cool.gif
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #56 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Must've been some discussion. He usually provides great info, links and insightful views. Pity these usually get deleted; I'd like to read it.

Well, ok, 3 days offline can be good too.

Well I was still able to read all the comments. I was just unable to reply.

You're absolutely correct about Marvin, and I have nothing but respect for him. We just didn't see eye to eye.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #57 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Hmmm...

If someone doesn't have a smartphone, or laptop, or desktop computer then it's likely neither will be useful but it's possible someone with previous ownership of an Apple device and with an existing iTunes account might still be able to make limited use of an AppleTV. A Chromecast couldn't be used at all if you owned no other computing devices and no one else in the household did either. In reality I don't think either one would likely be purchased by someone owning no other computing device, or that they would have any use for it if they did.

But just out of the box one could use it to access Netflix or Huluplus or YouTube or ... without needing any other computing device (smartphone, tablet or traditional computer). Not a major market but certainly something could do with AppleTV and not with a chrome cast.
Jimbo
Reply
Jimbo
Reply
post #58 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by baeder View Post

But just out of the box one could use it to access Netflix or Huluplus or YouTube or ... without needing any other computing device (smartphone, tablet or traditional computer). Not a major market but certainly something could do with AppleTV and not with a chrome cast.

I think you need an existing Netflix or Huluplus account to access them "out of the box". If you don't have one you need a computer or smart-device to sign up AFAIK. At least I don't think you can sign up for either of those directly from Apple TV can you? Not sure about YouTube but that one may be OK.
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #59 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post


I think you need an existing Netflix or Huluplus account to access them "out of the box". If you don't have one you need a computer or smart-device to sign up AFAIK. At least I don't think you can sign up for either of those directly from Apple TV can you? Not sure about YouTube but that one may be OK.

you are grasping at straws there. Totally expected that, too

android sucks, but not as much as the people who come here to defend it.

New for MS dorks - Microsoft sucks just as much as the losers that come to AI to defend it

Reply

android sucks, but not as much as the people who come here to defend it.

New for MS dorks - Microsoft sucks just as much as the losers that come to AI to defend it

Reply
post #60 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueDogRandy View Post

you are grasping at straws there. Totally expected that, too

For just a moment when I noticed you quoted me I thought you might know the answer. 1hmm.gif
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #61 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post


For just a moment when I noticed you quoted me I thought you might know the answer. 1hmm.gif

you didn't know th=e answer to start with. Just reminding you and all others of your FUD

android sucks, but not as much as the people who come here to defend it.

New for MS dorks - Microsoft sucks just as much as the losers that come to AI to defend it

Reply

android sucks, but not as much as the people who come here to defend it.

New for MS dorks - Microsoft sucks just as much as the losers that come to AI to defend it

Reply
post #62 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueDogRandy View Post

you didn't know th=e answer to start with.

So that must make two of us then. Guess I'll wait for the OP. He probably knows the answer.
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #63 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post


So that must make two of us then. Guess I'll wait for the OP. He probably knows the answer.

no, wrong again- just you

android sucks, but not as much as the people who come here to defend it.

New for MS dorks - Microsoft sucks just as much as the losers that come to AI to defend it

Reply

android sucks, but not as much as the people who come here to defend it.

New for MS dorks - Microsoft sucks just as much as the losers that come to AI to defend it

Reply
post #64 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post


I think you need an existing Netflix or Huluplus account to access them "out of the box". If you don't have one you need a computer or smart-device to sign up AFAIK. At least I don't think you can sign up for either of those directly from Apple TV can you? Not sure about YouTube but that one may be OK.

 

Yes, but if I had no computing device, and I wanted to get an AppleTV to watch Netflix, there's nothing stopping me from signing up at, say, the library.  Or on a friend's computer.  Or is there?  AFAIK, all Netflix cares about is that they get your CC info, and that your payments go through.

post #65 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensmovement View Post
Gatorgu:

Sorry, but unless you own I-Phones, I-Pads and I-Pods, there is no reason to prefer Apple TV over Chromecast. And as Google Chrome does run on IOS devices, the $64 is a compelling reason to prefer Chromecast over Apple TV even if you do, especially if you have multiple TVs. 4 TVs, 4 Apple TVs = $400, the price of an Ipad 4. 4 Chromecasts that you can get for as little as $25 apiece from some outlet? Exactly.

Nope Mr Google, you're not getting into my personal pictures. I ran into you when looking at a Sony TV device, so I  passed on it. My Mr Google you're popping up everywhere, but I'll definitely avoid buying anything you have your spying eye into.

That may even mean I avoid buying certain cars or car models, if you are looking at me from them.

Having you spying on my Internet use, is more than enough of you!

post #66 of 67
In related news Synology's DiskStation just got an update that enables official streaming of all your personal and iTunes media to the Chromecast.
http://bit.ly/1fjlBsp
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #67 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshA View Post
 

Nope Mr Google, you're not getting into my personal pictures. I ran into you when looking at a Sony TV device, so I  passed on it. My Mr Google you're popping up everywhere, but I'll definitely avoid buying anything you have your spying eye into.

That may even mean I avoid buying certain cars or car models, if you are looking at me from them.

Having you spying on my Internet use, is more than enough of you!

That is a legitimate consideration, but it was not raised by the guy that I replied to, the one who insisted that anyone who was unwilling to pay 3 times as much for a device that did basically the same thing was a loser. That gets thrown around a lot around here, and the reason is rarely concerns over Google collecting, storing and sharing your data. 

 

Incidentally, I am not going to get a Chromecast anyway. I was going to get an Apple TV, but its not supporting Amazon Prime is a dealbreaker for me, because Amazon is a big #2 for me to Netflix (and I would use it even more if they were to come out with a Netflix-like user interface). So I am far more likely to get the Amazon dongle it seems. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • Google Photowall turns your TV into a crowdsourced pinboard, Loopy HD goes half-off
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Google Photowall turns your TV into a crowdsourced pinboard, Loopy HD goes half-off