or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Google announces Android Auto platform for cars, Android Wear devices for wrists

Google announces Android Auto platform for cars, Android Wear devices for wrists

post #1 of 69
Google is pushing for its Android platform to be omnipresent, with the unveiling of a the new voice-enabled Android Auto operating system, and new wrist-worn, fitness-tracking devices running the upcoming Android Wear platform.

Android Auto

Android Auto represents Google's response to Apple's iOS in the Car platform. Both are reliant upon connected smartphones for accessing data and running compatible apps.

In unveiling Android Auto, Google noted at its I/O conference on Wednesday that the average person spends an hour in their car every day, and many of those people dangerously use their phone while driving.

Android Auto aims to solve this by providing users with eyes-free, voice-driven navigation, communication and music. The system is contextually aware, featuring a home screen that borrows from the Google Now feature found on Android devices, giving relevant information learned from user habits, along with recent destinations.

A connected Android phone will power the in-the-car display for Android Auto, but allows control with steering wheel buttons or applicable buttons on the car's head unit. Google also said that because Android Auto relies on a user's phone, the experience will improve if they buy a new and faster phone.

Users can input a destination with their voice, or speak to send messages or initiate a phone call. Developers will also be able to make their own music and messaging apps via a freely available Android Auto SDK.

Android Auto is scheduled to launch later this year. Google said on Wednesday that over 40 new partners for the Open Automotive Alliance, and over 20 new car brands have pledged to ship cars with Android in the near future.

Android Wear

Google emphasized the need for wearable devices Wednesday by noting that the average smartphone user looks at their device a whopping 125 times per day. The company believes wrist-worn screens can lessen that number, making information more quickly accessible while on the go.

The company demonstrated the Android Wear platform onstage at I/O using LG's G Watch. All Android Wear devices will have touchscreens, and will support both circular and rectangular displays. Swiping up on the interface presents a series of Google Now cards.

When a specific card is selected, users can swipe left and right to bring up information related to that card. And everything is synced between an Android watch and connected Android phone, meaning that associated Google Now cards are removed from the phone as well.

Android Wear also supports voice commands, and the onstage demo was used to show off creating reminders or creating notes. Android Wear will also respond to queries and find information quickly.

Fitness tracking is also a key part of Android Wear, with one example spotlighted by Google showing the user's number of steps taken for the day and week. Android Wear devices made with heart rate monitors will also be able to tap into that data for compatible apps.

Other apps showcased by Google on Wednesday included Pinterest, with a demonstration notifying users when they are near a restaurant featured in one of their pins, and Allthecooks, which automatically displayed an entire recipe on the watch and offered a timer when the associated smartphone app was opened. An SDK for Android Wear is available to developers starting today.

After showcasing Android Wear, Google announced a number of upcoming devices that will run its new platform. Chief among them was the new Samsung Gear Live, the South Korean company's first device to use Google's wearable platform, which will be available today to preorder from the Google Play store.

Also available today is the LG G Watch that was shown off onstage. But those waiting for the Moto 360 smart watch will have to wait, as Google said it won't be available to preorder until later this summer.

post #2 of 69
Android in the car? I don't want the malware in it which may send my car to the river.

Congratulation to Samsung Galaxy S5 for winning CNET's Best Android Phone of the Year 2014

"From the owner of iPhone 6+, Best Smart Phone of the Year 2014"

Congratulation to Samsung Galaxy S5 for winning CNET's Best Android Phone of the Year 2014

post #3 of 69

who cares?

post #4 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallenjt View Post

Android in the car? I don't want the malware in it which may send my car to the river.

I know. I definitely prefer the malware free Apple Maps that sends my car into the river.
post #5 of 69

I don't see Mercedes, BMW, Lexus, Toyota, Ferrari or Tesla logos on their slide.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #6 of 69
They announced that less then halve a percent of android phones have encountered malware
post #7 of 69

Google is the last company I would want powering anything in my vehicle.  Last thing I was is some ad displaying on my console about some 50% off sale at a grocery store I just passed on the right.  Malware, adware, xWare... the list just goes on and one.  Just stop, Google.  Please.

post #8 of 69
i don't get it most these brands have also committed to car play these cars will have both iOS and android?
Edited by ubernaut - 6/25/14 at 12:18pm
post #9 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by ubernaut View Post

i don't get it%u2026 most these brands have also committed to car play these cars will have both iOS and android?

They are both just SDKs, so yes they will support both devices in the cars.
post #10 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

Google is the last company I would want powering anything in my vehicle.  Last thing I was is some ad displaying on my console about some 50% off sale at a grocery store I just passed on the right.  Malware, adware, xWare... the list just goes on and one.  Just stop, Google.  Please.

It is just the phone connecting to the car. If you don't own an Android phone you won't have Android powering anything in your car, if you do own an Android phone, you probably don't care.
post #11 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistercow View Post

I know. I definitely prefer the malware free Apple Maps that sends my car into the river.

That's 2 years ago, dude claimed by an anti-Apple person. I have used Apple Map since released without problem. In fact, Google Map sent me to the wrong damn location for Kaiser...instead of sending me to main campus, it sent me to the after-hour office located 2 blocks away...yup...who's dumb now?

post #12 of 69
Quote:

???

post #13 of 69
Not digging the UI at all. Hopefully Apple has something much better for their wearable device.
post #14 of 69

I was actually thinking the fire was dwindling for new products but now it seems like its hot as ever. I own an audi and am surprised to see them on the list, but I guess they haven't said a lot about IOS. Seems like most companies would want to play nice with everyone and not choose one of the other. The wear devices still seem a little odd to me. Like it shows when your flight is departing but can you scan it from the watch or do you still have to pull out your phone and scan that if it has your ticket? Seems like google has very extensive user profiles, if it learns what time you leave work and where you are at all times.

post #15 of 69

Google can now report your driving habits to the government lol 

post #16 of 69
Quote:

Better than Google Maps sending you across the median into oncoming traffic.

---

Deja vu all over again.
post #17 of 69
I watched the car presentation. Stated the safety feature for keeping your eyes on the road. All he did was stare at his phone and car display flipping thru numerous screens to get what he was looking for.

Crowd response seemed lackluster, I thought. Also, the simulator car on the stage was sad to watch.
oneof52
oneof52
post #18 of 69

Waiting for the people to start proclaiming that those auto makers on the list are trash and they will never ride in any car made by any of those companies even if their life depended on it.

Edited by Haggar - 6/25/14 at 1:23pm
post #19 of 69
Next ... 'Google changes its logo to an Apple and claims it's a different apple ....'
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
Google Motto "You're not the customer. You're the product."
post #20 of 69

Looking at the watches these companies are designing and developing to sell to customers makes me extraordinarily happy that I am an Apple customer! Why are these companies rushing to get crap out the door instead of actually designing and developing something that shows the world they are worthwhile

The very sad thing about all of this is the iPod Steve Jobs said could be used as a watch (How many years ago was that?) is SOOOOOOO much better looking than what Samsung and LG have come up with. IF Apple does come up with a smart watch, the Android smart watch companies will immediately drop their current designs and copy Apple's designs

I truly hope the Android camp opens their eyes to honestly see and admit that Samsung, LG and other Android smart watch companies chose to drop their designs and copy Apple's designs this time around.

Oops

I visited Oz for a moment there.  :-)))

post #21 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by leavingthebigG View Post

Looking at the watches these companies are designing and developing to sell to customers makes me extraordinarily happy that I am an Apple customer! Why are these companies rushing to get crap out the door instead of actually designing and developing something that shows the world they are worthwhile

The very sad thing about all of this is the iPod Steve Jobs said could be used as a watch (How many years ago was that?) is SOOOOOOO much better looking than what Samsung and LG have come up with. IF Apple does come up with a smart watch, the Android smart watch companies will immediately drop their current designs and copy Apple's designs

I truly hope the Android camp opens their eyes to honestly see and admit that Samsung, LG and other Android smart watch companies chose to drop their designs and copy Apple's designs this time around.

Oops

Android smart watches are nothing more than just gimmicks. I wouldn't even want to be paid to wear those fugly "dumb" smart watches. See, this is how to take a phone call with those smart watches, lol:

And this is how it fits on a woman's wrist...Beautiful...lol:

Edited by fallenjt - 6/25/14 at 2:04pm

post #22 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by leavingthebigG View Post

Oops

Yes, this Moto 360 watch looks bad :rolleyes:

https://moto360.motorola.com/

post #23 of 69
Does anyone know why the protestors were outside the conference? There was a story on CNBC but Google must have called and shut that down.
The video about it doesn't even say what they are protesting and the sound bite canceled on the air.

http://video.cnbc.com/gallery/?video=3000287631&__source=yahoo%7cheadline%7cquote%7cvideo%7c&par=yahoo
post #24 of 69
That site reminds me of the Moto X campaign. Google/Motorola loudly hyped USA manufacturing efforts just as Apple was quietly hyping its USA manufacturing efforts. Well, the loudest hyper has shut down its USA manufacturing efforts and unemployed hundreds of workers. And, its cheap smartphones failed to change the world. Apple is expanding its USA manufacturing efforts and employing a lot more people. And, its secret projects have yet to be revealed. Hello? Wall Street? Can you hear Apple now?
post #25 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by genovelle View Post

Does anyone know why the protestors were outside the conference? There was a story on CNBC but Google must have called and shut that down.
The video about it doesn't even say what they are protesting and the sound bite canceled on the air.

http://video.cnbc.com/gallery/?video=3000287631&__source=yahoo%7cheadline%7cquote%7cvideo%7c&par=yahoo

They were protesting rental rate increases.
post #26 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallenjt View Post

google-owned Waze actually delivers popup ads while youre navigating. i shit you not....i was running it fullscreen on my Pioneer AppRadio head unit, where it's a partner app, and the think asked if i wanted to go to a nearby hotel.

what. the ****.

post #27 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by ubernaut View Post

i don't get it most these brands have also committed to car play these cars will have both iOS and android?

why not? the software runs from the device -- your phone. the head unit just has to know how to allow itself to be a touch-enabled terminal. sure they can support both.

post #28 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by genovelle View Post

Oh geez. . . must have been a sale on tinfoil at your local grocery.
http://thenextweb.com/google/2014/06/25/google-io-2014-interrupted-protester-calling-google-develop-conscience/

There are protestors who blame the big techs for driving up rents and displacing the poor in cities like San Fran. At least one showed up at Google I/O\ to complain of an eviction she blames on someone who works at Google . 1rolleyes.gif One other protestor complained about DoD killer robots.

And this is what the the complaints about housing concern. Better read it fast before Google tells CNBC to remove it.
http://www.cnbc.com/id/101679540
Edited by Gatorguy - 6/25/14 at 2:47pm
melior diabolus quem scies
post #29 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haggar View Post

Waiting for the people to start proclaiming that those auto makers on the list are trash and they will never ride in any car made by any of those companies even if their life depended on it.

i think you have a misrepresentation of what apple fans are, and you keep projecting it out into the world rather than deal with the shortcoming.

post #30 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by NolaMacGuy View Post

google-owned Waze actually delivers popup ads while youre navigating. i shit you not....i was running it fullscreen on my Pioneer AppRadio head unit, where it's a partner app, and the think asked if i wanted to go to a nearby hotel.

what. the ****.
http://digiday.com/platforms/waze-advertisers/
post #31 of 69
Dude, that so-called car integration is bull****!
post #32 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haggar View Post

A lot of new automotive and audio partners announced today:

Alpine
Bentley
Clarion
CloudCar
Delphi
FIAT Chrysler
Freescale
FUJITSU TEN
HARMAN
Infiniti
JVCKENWOOD
LG
Maserati
Mazda
Mitsubishi
Nissan
Panasonic
Parrot
Pioneer
Renault
Renesas
SEAT
Škoda
Subaru
Suzuki
Symphony Teleca
Volkswagen
Volvo
post #33 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by NolaMacGuy View Post

what. the ****.
That ridiculous. Ditch it and get a TomTom or just use your normal TomTom based Apple maps.
post #34 of 69
Why do they unveil something that is already outdated? Also, why the hell did Audi sign up for that shit and not CarPlay was google planning something shirty from since the rumors of CarPlay? (Or the iOS in the Car announcement?)
post #35 of 69
People keep showing off that render from Moto's website as evidence of how nice Android smart watches are. But I have yet to see anyone actually wearing that watch with that watch face design. I'll believe it when I actually see it and it looks just like that render.
post #36 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

People keep showing off that render from Moto's website as evidence of how nice Android smart watches are. But I have yet to see anyone actually wearing that watch with that watch face design. I'll believe it when I actually see it and it looks just like that render.

http://gizmodo.com/moto-360-hands-on-this-smartwatch-will-make-you-swoon-1596101326

http://www.engadget.com/2014/06/25/moto-360-smartwatch-makes-an-appearance-at-google-i-o/?ncid=rss_truncated

Not quite same as the render, but I think it's reasonable to say it's not too far off.

post #37 of 69
This doesn't make me swoon. That black bar at the bottom is ugly. The only thing that looks good is when the watch face looks like a traditional watch. In that case I'll just go buy a nice traditional watch. I hope whatever Apple is doing is 180° different than this. If "iWatch" is just putting a smartphone on your wrist I think it will fail. Just like I think these Android smart watches will fail. Tech geeks that must have the latest and greatest gadgets might buy them but everyone else will say no thanks.

post #38 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

This doesn't make me swoon. That black bar at the bottom is ugly. The only thing that looks good is when the watch face looks like a traditional watch. In that case I'll just go buy a nice traditional watch. I hope whatever Apple is doing is 180° different than this. If "iWatch" is just putting a smartphone on your wrist I think it will fail. Just like I think these Android smart watches will fail. Tech geeks that must have the latest and greatest gadgets might buy them but everyone else will say no thanks.

What else would you like a wearable to do besides supplement your phone? 

post #39 of 69
Quote:

What else would you like a wearable to do besides supplement your phone? 
I don't need a wearable to duplicate things I can do with my phone. Pulling my phone out of my pocket or handbag isn't that difficult. And if I'm at work in a meeting I'll be focused on my meeting, not distracted by notifications popping up on my wrist.
post #40 of 69
delete
Edited by Rogifan - 6/25/14 at 5:28pm
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Google announces Android Auto platform for cars, Android Wear devices for wrists