or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Tim Cook promises Apple will release data on corporate diversity

Tim Cook promises Apple will release data on corporate diversity - Page 2

post #41 of 47
Originally Posted by DarkVader View Post
Sometimes achieving the goal of diversity requires quotas.

No. Wrong. Bad.

the best qualified person for a job may well be a candidate who isn't necessarily the one with the best test score.  

No one said anything about test scores. We have always said “the best person for the job”. If that means all white people, it means all white people. If you want to pretend that’s racist, that’s your problem. Somehow, magically, all black people isn’t racist.

Edited by Tallest Skil - 7/10/14 at 5:22pm
post #42 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkVader View Post

Sometimes achieving the goal of diversity requires quotas.

And when you're dealing with a creative company like Apple, the best qualified person for a job may well be a candidate who isn't necessarily the one with the best test score. 

1. No quotas

2. That's what interviews are for. And if it's design, that's what portfolios are for.
post #43 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

1. No quotas

2. That's what interviews are for. And if it's design, that's what portfolios are for.

Need those quotas to feed parking meters.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
post #44 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

What are these "diversity" numbers supposed to show? Should Apple have an even break-down of all minority groups represented in their total workforce #s, as well as ethnicities, ages, sexes, reglious backgrounds, etc to prove that they support "diversity"?

It could stand as evidence for board representation. If their workforce is 20% women, they don't need 50% of the board to be women.

Whatever way the numbers turn out, I think they should consider Salma Hayek for the board:

Female and Mexican, that's two groups in one. I'm sure she's good with computers and things to qualify for the board.

At least one of her qualities stands out, as far as I can see.

"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
"If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth."
- African proverb
post #45 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

Yeah, she's done more to aid internet adoption than Al Gore. Years ago people would ask, 'where can I get more pictures of Salma Hayek?' and the answer came 'on the internet of course' and look how it took off.
post #46 of 47
Quote:

Check your eyes; I see two lovely qualities. 1wink.gif
post #47 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Quote:

Check your eyes; I see two lovely qualities. 1wink.gif

I was bundling them together - her 'personality', if you will. 😃

- African proverb
- African proverb
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Tim Cook promises Apple will release data on corporate diversity