or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Adoption of Apple's iOS 7 hits 90% ahead of next-gen iOS 8 release
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Adoption of Apple's iOS 7 hits 90% ahead of next-gen iOS 8 release - Page 2

post #41 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiA View Post


You get your facts wrong and then call me a twat; maybe the truth hurts and you're lashing out at someone who has publicly shown you to be wrong.

Yes, people are entitled to do what they want with their devices provided it doesn't harm others.

Some people buy iPhones just to smash them up with a hammer or put them in a blender.

Others choose not to upgrade, I'm fine and can live with all that.

The fact is though, iOS 7 introduced some new features and capabilities, it wasn't just a bug and performance fix.

Users have felt iOS 7 to be compelling enough to put on 90% of iOS devices.

There's nothing wrong with being in the minority; you do miss out on the new features and capabilities.
If you're happy with that then you're happy, nobody can take that away from you.

There are aspects of iOS7 I don't like but on balance for me the benefits far outweigh the grumbles.

Nothing is perfect in life.

 

Why would you need to argue this?? Don't you think I knew/know what I'm doing with my devices? I'm happy for those 90% percent of users that are on iOS7, but I didn't see value in it and choose not to update.

I still have original jail broken iPhone 16GB (that works and I do use it), girlfriend had 3GS, first iPad 3G, now 4s and iPad 4G - I went through quite a number of iOS releases and I just started questioning the need to update unless there's an urgent need for it.... there are few apps on my list that work only with iOS7 and I know I will upgrade my phone in near future to get them. However I'm certain that if there was a way to downgrade down to iOS6, those numbers wouldn't be as high as they are. 

post #42 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

PEOPLE DON’T STAY ON IOS 6 BECAUSE THEY WANT TO.
Bit of a generalization isn't it?

I stayed on iOS 6 intentionally. Until Apple forced me to upgrade by making FaceTime incompatible with users who had upgraded. No wonder the percentage of upgraded users is so high.

With an iPhone 4s I had several reasons:

With more system animations I figured why overtax my limited processor? My 4s is sluggish by comparison now.
Aesthetically I am not impressed. I find iOS 7 garish and often confusing.
Adoption time: iOS 6 was working perfectly, but upgrading to iOS took time to figure out how to do things again, often with things that worked fine the way they were seemingly changed for no other purpose than to change them. Software bugs and incompatibilities, also caused a fair amount of downtime.
Perceived lack of features to compel and upgrade -- with the exception of control panel, I don't really feel I have benefitted from any of iOS 7s features. And certainly control panel was not worth the speed hit for me.

In short, I would have been perfectly happy running iOS 6 until I upgraded my phone. I do realize the need to upgrade and move forward in the ecosystem. Sadly Apple forced me into upgrading because FaceTime is one Apple product I do use, in fact it's a signature product many people buy the iPhone for. And I was forced into upgrading at the least desirable time for me in my hectic schedule, when there was absolutely no other reason to upgrade.
post #43 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Yep, you certainly act like one. PEOPLE DON’T STAY ON IOS 6 BECAUSE THEY WANT TO.

If you had any substantiation for your claims, you would have posted it. I am calling out your lack of substantiation. Get over it or post it.

I’d love to see you prove that iOS 7 had no new features. That’s a riot, kid.
This person is sticking with iOS 6 on the remaining devices that haven't had iOS 7 installed on them BECAUSE I WANT TO. Also I'm pretty sure that I'm not the only one.
Think about it!!!
Reply
Think about it!!!
Reply
post #44 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post
 

 

Same for Android. Any other ideas?

 

 

 

It is not the same for Android. Google would like it to be and they are trying, but it is not true.

 

http://www.ubergizmo.com/2014/02/leaked-google-memo-dictates-new-android-phones-must-run-kitkat/

post #45 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by bugsnw View Post
 

Every time iOS receives a facelift, there are the rabid posters who claim they are going to buy Dells and Androids and burn their Apple gear. Why? Because of such extreme changes as an OS font change. Or...messages has a new Send button. It's crazy. Then I read that 90%+ are converted less than a year later. Obviously these haters don't actually do what they say they are going to do and probably secretly adapt and love the new changes.......

Bingo! Well said Bugs.

 

I like ur line, "...b/c of a font change." :)

post #46 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

Bingo! Well said Bugs.

I like ur line, "...b/c of a font change." 1smile.gif

Apple should break us into a new font gradually. First by gradually changing consonants and then, finally, after about 5 years change the vowels. Anything else is just ridiculous¡

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #47 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

1) Are there still any concern trolls left saying they (and everyone they know) is refusing to update to iOS 7?
 

You aren't concerned about trolls which keep saying here and there that they (and everyone they know) has updated to iOS 7?

post #48 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


Apple should break us into a new font gradually. First by gradually changing consonants and then, finally, after about 5 years change the vowels. Anything else is just ridiculous¡

I like it, Solip! Great idea....  :)

post #49 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bao Babus View Post

You aren't concerned about trolls which keep saying here and there that they (and everyone they know) has updated to iOS 7?

With 90% of active iDevices on iOS 7 do you think the average person knows a lot of people not on iOS 7? I definitely know more people using KitKat than an earlier versions of iOS 6 or earlier.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #50 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riss View Post
 

 

iPhone 4s & iPad 4G 128GB and happy being on iOS6 with both devices... that dip in iOS6 install base could be easily just shrinking overall share of iOS6 to total base as new devices come only with iOS7. In absolute figures iOS6 users didn't have any reason to move, no new features were added in iOS7, just bug and performance fixes. I'd be surprised if someone bothered to normalise those figures before releasing them - my guess is they didn't.

 

It's actually the complete opposite- iOS7 added a shitload of new features, while introducing many new bugs and lowering performance on most devices (at least 7.0, 7.1 improved things somewhat). But yeah, maybe in your bizzaro-world, the opposite is the case, somehow. 

post #51 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post
 

 

It's actually the complete opposite- iOS7 added a shitload of new features, while introducing many new bugs and lowering performance on most devices (at least 7.0, 7.1 improved things somewhat). But yeah, maybe in your bizzaro-world, the opposite is the case, somehow. 

 

if you understand how to correctly compare two samples over period of time then tell me I wrote something wrong - there's little incentive for those who stayed on iOS6 to move to iOS7 now, so my premise was that iOS7 % grows because of new sales and of course iOS6 will shrink because the total is now larger than 6 months ago - not sure what you don't/can't comprehend... but yeah, let's throw some bizzaro trash around just because someone has different opinion

post #52 of 61
Originally Posted by Mac_128 View Post
Bit of a generalization isn't it?

 

With 92% adoption of NOT iOS 6, no.

 
Until Apple forced me to upgrade by making FaceTime incompatible with users who had upgraded. No wonder the percentage of upgraded users is so high.

 

Yeah, no, that’s not at all a valid conclusion.

 
And I was forced into upgrading...

 

Inigo Montoya.mp3

 

Originally Posted by kent909 View Post
It is not the same for Android. Google would like it to be and they are trying, but it is not true.

 

But Android’s free and a single click (or three) to download.

 

Originally Posted by Riss View Post
but yeah, let's throw some bizzaro trash around just because someone has different opinion


STOP PRETENDING THIS IS A MATTER OF OPINION. You LIED about iOS 7, and now multiple people have called you out on it.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #53 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riss View Post

if you understand how to correctly compare two samples over period of time then tell me I wrote something wrong - there's little incentive for those who stayed on iOS6 to move to iOS7 now, so my premise was that iOS7 % grows because of new sales and of course iOS6 will shrink because the total is now larger than 6 months ago - not sure what you don't/can't comprehend... but yeah, let's throw some bizzaro trash around just because someone has different opinion

You think that devices being sold with iOS 7 in the last 9 months are going to outweigh the installed base for all previous iDevices by a factor of 9? Come on, son!

The only way those numbers work is because most people have upgraded to iOS 7.

PS: Weren't the trolls mocking Apple because iPhone and iPad sales aren't growing as fast as before?

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #54 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


You think that devices being sold with iOS 7 in the last 9 months are going to outweigh the installed base for all previous iDevices by a factor of 9? Come on, son!

The only way those numbers work is because most people have upgraded to iOS 7.

PS: Weren't the trolls mocking Apple because iPhone and iPad sales aren't growing as fast as before?

no grandpa, that's not what I said - I said that the decline in iOS 6 % could be likely driven not by further upgrades from iOS 6 -> iOS 7 but if the total base of iOS devices grew and it increased iOS 7 share, the iOS 6 share obviously decreased (even though if in absolute figures stayed more or less same)... in order to compare apples with apples you need to normalise these samples, if you don't, it's not statistically correct, although it still shows the same trend which is a valid point compared to adoption/usage of Android OS releases 

 

just my 2 cents & last post here

post #55 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riss View Post

no grandpa, that's not what I said - I said that the decline in iOS 6 % could be likely driven not by further upgrades from iOS 6 -> iOS 7 but if the total base of iOS devices grew and it increased iOS 7 share, the iOS 6 share obviously decreased (even though if in absolute figures stayed more or less same)... in order to compare apples with apples you need to normalise these samples, if you don't, it's not statistically correct, although it still shows the same trend which is a valid point compared to adoption/usage of Android OS releases 

just my 2 cents & last post here

As I stated, it's unreasonable to suggest that iDevice sales grew by a factor of 9 to account for the 90% compared to less than 10% for iOS 6. It's also silly to say that you shouldn't count any device sold in the last 3/4 of a year when the anti-Apple argument is that everyone hates iOS 7 so much that they aren't upgrading; if that was the case iDevice sales would have continually dropped off.


PS: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ed_Lover#C.E2.80.99mon.2C_Son.21

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #56 of 61
Originally Posted by Riss View Post
...the decline in iOS 6 % could be likely driven not by further upgrades from iOS 6 -> iOS 7...

 

Because everyone is already there.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #57 of 61
Quote:

I wonder if that's where ESPN got the idea for "c'mon man" in the Monday Night Football pregame show.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #58 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

I wonder if that's where ESPN got the idea for "c'mon man" in the Monday Night Football pregame show.

No idea but I would guess that 'com'n man' predates Ed Lover's phrase which he used extensively on "Yo! MTV Raps" in the 80s and/or 90s.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #59 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1 View Post


One key reason is that the updates are free.

I disagree, it was always this way. Microsoft devotees are totally different animals from Mac OS X users. They for the most part fear change, OS X users love it. Price be damned. Of course OS X users have the advantage that change is good, Windows users have had to live with the Mac OS lousy rip off and all the iterations since then for thirty years.
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Reply
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Reply
post #60 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riss View Post

no grandpa, that's not what I said - I said that the decline in iOS 6 % could be likely driven not by further upgrades from iOS 6 -> iOS 7 but if the total base of iOS devices grew and it increased iOS 7 share, the iOS 6 share obviously decreased (even though if in absolute figures stayed more or less same)... in order to compare apples with apples you need to normalise these samples, if you don't, it's not statistically correct, although it still shows the same trend which is a valid point compared to adoption/usage of Android OS releases 

just my 2 cents & last post here

'No grandpa?' Seriously? You are new to AI it seems and you disrespect one of our best and most knowledgeable members? Way to ingratiate yourself! Not!!
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Reply
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini, SE30, IIFx, Towers; G4 & G3.
Reply
post #61 of 61
Originally Posted by Riss View Post
iOS6 users didn't have any reason to move, no new features were added in iOS7, just bug and performance fixes.

 

Why would you need to argue this??

 

Because you said iOS 6 users didn't have a reason to upgrade; you didn't say I (Riss) didn't have a reason to upgrade.

 

My posts pointed to several reasons why iOS 6 users would upgrade.  Most devices are now upgraded.

 

Can you happily accept that you're in the minority?

 
 I despise flat UI from the bottom of my heart, I always liked Aqua-like interfaces. I agree that Forstall pushed the leather design too far, but I love the glass icon look and easy to spot buttons in apps.

It's not the first time you've posted complaining about how the iOS and OS X interface looks.

Personally I wouldn't mind if a tool or device had the most garish, day-glo surreal colours if it helped me with the tasks I needed to accomplish.

I'd spend my time admiring what had been achieved or even the money earned than the device.

 

If you're drowning in the sea and somebody throws you a lifejacket, will you be grateful it saved your life or grumbling it's bright orange and will look better in pastel green?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Adoption of Apple's iOS 7 hits 90% ahead of next-gen iOS 8 release