or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Microsoft says Surface Pro 3 more powerful, flexible than MacBook Air in latest ads

Microsoft says Surface Pro 3 more powerful, flexible than MacBook Air in latest ads - Page 4

post #121 of 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowitall View Post

So funny MS.

By the way A.I. the iPhone A.I. app doesn't let me pinch and zoom (most important feature of iOS) and doen't follow the screen rotation even when i'm playing it fullscreen ...
And why is the web page the slowest I know of?
Could you please fix this.

Totally agree with your comment that AI is the slowest POS of all websites I visit. For god's sake AI, you're a fking tech website! Act like it! Fire your IT staff and hire some competent people to redo your website properly. Absolutely pathetic! Aren't you at all embarrassed at what a POS it is?
post #122 of 292
I owned one of the Samsung Windows 8 "Surface prototypes" that Microsoft gave away early on in the development of Windows 8. It was a bit of a novelty and a decently built machine with a dock and keyboard. I found a few things about it that still remain in the Surface 3 and Windows 8 that are quite jarring. The first was the presence of a fan. A tablet with a fan kind of blows the intimacy of a handheld device, at least for me. Perhaps they could move to a piezo electric fan to mask the fan-ness of the fan, but it threw me for a loop.

Another thing was that it never really felt like a tablet. It was more like a miniature all-in-one that stayed planted on the desktop surface (hence the name "Surface"). Using it as you would use an iPad seemed clunky and unnatural, but it was admittedly far better than the previous generations of Microsoft tablet edition devices.

The third strike was Windows 8. I found the Metro stuff incredibly useless. Granted, the first generation of Metro apps were by Microsoft's admission cobbled together by summer interns. But the final released versions didn't really raise the bar very much above what the interns had done. I still use Windows 8.1 for work purposes and have a VM of it on my iMac. I still find the Metro aspects of the OS only slightly little more useful than an interactive screen saver. I actually don't want a dumbed down version of a news site or a half baked maps application on my desktop.

In any case, I gave away the Surface prototype and its predecessor folding Windows tablet edition (Microsoft's first foray into PC hardware design) but I keep checking back to see if the newer Windows devices are any better. I am a gadget junky and used to build my own machines and still have a full time Windows 7 PC and a Linux box setup at home. I will always give credit where credit is due, and no company that I know of other than Microsoft has been able to get an OS running quite well on such a variety (and disparate levels of quality) of hardware devices on the planet. There are some things that Windows does pretty darn well, like device and hardware support. Getting there requires some compromises and having to run on so many el cheapo marginal platforms results in a somewhat geeky, boring, and generic operating system. Windows is still better than Linux for device and driver support. If Microsoft had concentrated on optimizing one OS for one device family then we'd be able to compare them to Apple. But Microsoft has always been about compromise and the Surface carries on with that tradition.

I still wonder what the hell Microsoft is doing with the huge army of engineers they have at their disposal. Personally I hope they are reinventing Microsoft Office because other than Excel it's as horrible today as it was in 1992.
post #123 of 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammysamsam View Post

Yep, thanks to Microsoft.  That's a positive for MS and Windows.

Microsoft has FK all to do with it. It's because Apple uses the intel processor. The irony is that Windows runs better on a Mac. Go figure!

I'm sure MSFT planned it that way. /s
post #124 of 292
Quote:

You're missing the point.  If you're using it as a tablet, like the iPad Air, you don't have the keyboard attached.  Just like if I'm not at my desk I don't use the docking station.

Plus the older iPads weigh 150% and more than the iPad Air but that was never an issue.  A lot of people are still on the iPad 4 but aren't suddenly finding it too heavy.

Wow. This guy is truly hopless.

Comparing a two year old iPad that cost half the price to a brand new Surface that cost double.
post #125 of 292
Quote:

In the consumer world that what it seems like.  In the enterprise and cloud they are dominant and worthy of it.

Hey Sammy, wake up and stop trolling! Your BS is so transparent. The iPhone and iPad are dominant in the enterprise in their respective categories. For good reason. So go troll somewhere else.
post #126 of 292

I'm a bit puzzled about this Surface.  If it's so good and takes the place of two Apple devices, why aren't more consumers buying it?  It's obvious that one Surface is cheaper than a MacBook Air and an iPad combined.  It would seem to be a great deal on the "surface".  Honestly, who wouldn't want a device that can supposedly do everything better than any other company's two devices.  One would think Microsoft could sell tens of millions of these Surfaces with the greatest of ease.  I'm guessing it must have serious mechanical flaws if consumers aren't going for it.  I wonder if a lot of people use those stylus/pens things to take notes.  I've never really heard consumers clamor for a pen.  There seem to be a number of inconsistencies about a doubly powerful device that has rather poor sales.

post #127 of 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by Constable Odo View Post

I'm a bit puzzled about this Surface.  If it's so good and takes the place of two Apple devices, why aren't more consumers buying it?  It's obvious that one Surface is cheaper than a MacBook Air and an iPad combined.  It would seem to be a great deal on the "surface".  Honestly, who wouldn't want a device that can supposedly do everything better than any other company's two devices.  One would think Microsoft could sell tens of millions of these Surfaces with the greatest of ease.  I'm guessing it must have serious mechanical flaws if consumers aren't going for it.  I wonder if a lot of people use those stylus/pens things to take notes.  I've never really heard consumers clamor for a pen.  There seem to be a number of inconsistencies about a doubly powerful device that has rather poor sales.

One factor that has to be taken into account is appearance. It may be superficial, and function should be all that matters, but especially when people are paying ~$600 a pound for some item, they expect a certain minimum standard of attractiveness.

The Surface is just butt-ugly. Now this isn't always a deal-breaker; a lot of ugly products have been quite popular. After some acclimatization, they may even be called "endearingly ugly". There's no chance of that kind of acclimatization with the Surface, however. It's a special kind of ugly—childish. Idiotic, even. If it didn't have the gray eminence of Microsoft (not noted for frivolousness) behind it, nobody over 5 years old would be caught dead with it.
post #128 of 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeRange View Post

Totally agree with your comment that AI is the slowest POS of all websites I visit. For god's sake AI, you're a fking tech website! Act like it! Fire your IT staff and hire some competent people to redo your website properly. Absolutely pathetic! Aren't you at all embarrassed at what a POS it is?

Tech website? OMG, I haven't laughed so hard in days. :lol:

It's a curated RSS feed of other websites' content, only attached to a dozen Google Ads in the margins. ;)

(Ironically, if it really was an RSS feed, it would contain fewer spelling, formatting, and grammar mistakes, and be more timely)

And…"IT staff"? What staff?

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #129 of 292
If you play the video and let it continue it goes through the three ads, and then the college girl whose so excited about having the Surface.

How much was she paid to keep raising her eyebrows over and over and over and over and over and over%u2026%u2026%u2026%u2026%u2026%u2026%u2026and over again. Oh my GOD, I didn't hear a word she said after a while because I couldn't get my attention away from the goofy eyebrow thing.
post #130 of 292
Quote:

Hey Sammy, wake up and stop trolling! Your BS is so transparent. The iPhone and iPad are dominant in the enterprise in their respective categories. For good reason. So go troll somewhere else.

There is more to enterprise than mobile phones and tablets.  Servers, databases, analytics, the cloud are things that Microsoft are dominant in.  Sure the office workers are using the iPhone but the backbone of the operation is Microsoft.  MS could become another IBM but I think they want to remain somewhat relevant in the consumer sphere - which is just about succeeding.

post #131 of 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by Constable Odo View Post

It's because people have been bitten too many times by Microsoft products so when a consumer walks into a shop to buy a device they see Microsoft and immediately go "uuuhh Windows".  They also have all their friends making fun of them for contemplating buying a Microsoft/Windows product.  Once public opinion goes against you it's a tough battle back.  The device isn't worthy of all the criticism it gets.

post #132 of 292
I think Microsoft has to at some point soon come to terms with what kind of tech company they want to be in the future.

Saying, "Windows everywhere" is just too broad of a stroke, and there needs to be some kind of focus and core changes before trying to weld everything together. At the moment and for the last few years they're going through miles and miles of duct tape trying to put a sub-par operating system onto and into every tech gadget trend, and being mediocre and compromised at everything.

IMHO, Windows the OS is Microsoft's biggest problem, and it's legacy 90% marketshare is the biggest drag on progress for the company. I've said time and again that they need to kill the NT kernel at some point and go with a UNIX core. Currently they're the only major tech company that uses a base system completely different than what the world's major computing environments, including networking, the internet, and big iron... are built upon: UNIX. While MS may still have 90% of the desktop market, that's not saying much as it used to. It wouldn't surprise me if they have slightly more than 40% or possibly less of the total computing market if mobile and servers are added to the total mix. It would be appreciate if anyone with more time would like to add up the numbers.

They've done a good job of becoming the "world's most popular" user-facing interface (GUI) to be able to use a computer and it's inherent complicated routines to actually do something with a computer AKA bunch of chips on an integrated circuit board. However, they've tacked on a "middle ground interpreter" (NT) to interface to their GUI and APIs. Apple... and recently Google (Chrome not Android)... are skipping the "middle man" and programming directly through their APIs to the heart of the chips, whether they're from Intel, ARM, or assorted GPUs. What do you think... or more importantly, what do the engineers at Microsoft truly think... is the most efficient way to utilize raw computing power these days.

Apart from the "core", the "Windows Experience" as a whole has IMHO, been so severely tarnished as to hardly consider it a "brand" worth saving, regardless of it's ubiquity and name recognition. So I would even consider dropping the name Windows from any new operating system... and don't even bother with the "New Coke" advertising. We all know how that turned out and would have failure and back-stepping written into it's marketing plan.

As far as I can determine, "it" comes down to this: who at Microsoft or from the outside has enough guts to tear "it" down... and rebuild "it" for the future.

An American euphemism comes to mind: No guts. No glory.

Apple had it's Steve Jobs...rest his genius gutsy soul. Who's gonna step up to save Microsoft from itself?

Microsoft take note: every Windows device should come with 3 years on-site "Windows Care" and a personal tech guru and their cell number. A number of us Old Folk are getting tired of fixing the mess AKA Windows for family and friends... for free. We are recommending Apple and even Google devices to escape this charitable support for your company. Alternatives to Windows seems to be working out just fine for family, friends... and Yours Truly... Formerly-Known-As-Friendly-Tech-Help... because Windows is no longer considered "tech" in my book without being proceeded by "broken". That's truly sad... 1oyvey.gif

Edited for TL;DR types:

Die C:drive...die... and take your cute and clever GUI name from the 90's with it.
Edited by ThePixelDoc - 8/12/14 at 6:07am
Knowing what you are talking about would help you understand why you are so wrong. By "Realistic" - AI Forum Member
Knowing what you are talking about would help you understand why you are so wrong. By "Realistic" - AI Forum Member
post #133 of 292

Check out this bullshit reporting from Consumer Reports and ABC News

http://abc7.com/shopping/back-to-school-shopping-best-laptops-for-all-ages/253494/

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

post #134 of 292
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

These are the people who rated the iPhone 4 highest of all phones, by far, but refused to recommend it because of the fabricated antenna problem. And you’re surprised?

Those in first through fifth grade might want to opt for a low-cost Chromebook.

NO ONE IN THESE GRADES NEEDS THEIR OWN COMPUTER IN ANY CAPACITY.

That’s more infuriating than the content.

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.

post #135 of 292
Quote:

I recently tried it with a super computer (iPad Air / A7 64 bit) and even that comes to a grinding halt for several seconds.

What stuff is this web side made of?

post #136 of 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowitall View Post

I recently tried it with a super computer (iPad Air / A7 64 bit) and even that comes to a grinding halt for several seconds.
What stuff is this web side made of?

I noticed this as well on my iPad Air but when I use my Nokia 2520 I don't have a problem, in fact it works absolutely flawless. Hey guys, a reason to buy a Windows 8 tablet. Nah, just kidding, I think it just has a lot to do with having a full fledged desktop browser vs. just a mobile. Though to be honest, if there was one thing that Nokia does do better then the iPad Air it would be surfing, great machine for that. I use mine more like a ChromeBook then tablet as it runs all of my web apps without problems and since it has Flash built in, I can run things like http://www.audiotool.com/app and http://pixlr.com/editor/ . Plus the keyboard is fantastic and adds an additional 5 hours of battery.

See how cute it is, I know your jealous 1wink.gif;

When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
post #137 of 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePixelDoc View Post

I think Microsoft has to at some point soon come to terms with what kind of tech company they want to be in the future.

Saying, "Windows everywhere" is just too broad of a stroke, and there needs to be some kind of focus and core changes before trying to weld everything together. At the moment and for the last few years they're going through miles and miles of duct tape trying to put a sub-par operating system onto and into every tech gadget trend, and being mediocre and compromised at everything.

IMHO, Windows the OS is Microsoft's biggest problem, and it's legacy 90% marketshare is the biggest drag on progress for the company. I've said time and again that they need to kill the NT kernel at some point and go with a UNIX core. Currently they're the only major tech company that uses a base system completely different than what the world's major computing environments, including networking, the internet, and big iron... are built upon: UNIX. While MS may still have 90% of the desktop market, that's not saying much as it used to. It wouldn't surprise me if they have slightly more than 40% or possibly less of the total computing market if mobile and servers are added to the total mix. It would be appreciate if anyone with more time would like to add up the numbers.

They've done a good job of becoming the "world's most popular" user-facing interface (GUI) to be able to use a computer and it's inherent complicated routines to actually do something with a computer AKA bunch of chips on an integrated circuit board. However, they've tacked on a "middle ground interpreter" (NT) to interface to their GUI and APIs. Apple... and recently Google (Chrome not Android)... are skipping the "middle man" and programming directly through their APIs to the heart of the chips, whether they're from Intel, ARM, or assorted GPUs. What do you think... or more importantly, what do the engineers at Microsoft truly think... is the most efficient way to utilize raw computing power these days.

Apart from the "core", the "Windows Experience" as a whole has IMHO, been so severely tarnished as to hardly consider it a "brand" worth saving, regardless of it's ubiquity and name recognition. So I would even consider dropping the name Windows from any new operating system... and don't even bother with the "New Coke" advertising. We all know how that turned out and would have failure and back-stepping written into it's marketing plan.

As far as I can determine, "it" comes down to this: who at Microsoft or from the outside has enough guts to tear "it" down... and rebuild "it" for the future.

An American euphemism comes to mind: No guts. No glory.

Apple had it's Steve Jobs...rest his genius gutsy soul. Who's gonna step up to save Microsoft from itself?

Microsoft take note: every Windows device should come with 3 years on-site "Windows Care" and a personal tech guru and their cell number. A number of us Old Folk are getting tired of fixing the mess AKA Windows for family and friends... for free. We are recommending Apple and even Google devices to escape this charitable support for your company. Alternatives to Windows seems to be working out just fine for family, friends... and Yours Truly... Formerly-Known-As-Friendly-Tech-Help... because Windows is no longer considered "tech" in my book without being proceeded by "broken". That's truly sad... 1oyvey.gif

Edited for TL;DR types:

Die C:drive...die... and take your cute and clever GUI name from the 90's with it.

Where did you go, I missed you.
post #138 of 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relic View Post

Where did you go, I missed you.

Hopefully not sarcastic... but working... and I was thinking of you too yesterday... 1smile.gif

Right after I'd just finished reading this post about a Microsoft Research project into Hyperlapse video correction. The tech is really cool and useful if it ever makes it outside of the lab that is.

I just shake my head and wonder how many talented engineers and research projects up in Redmond do they have that are being wasted and will never see the light of day... and/or in the end be watered down to fit their "Windows Everywhere" mantra. The release of Office for iOS proves that they still have a bit of mojo and talent braving "the atmospheric elements" up there to put out MicroSOFTware that people want to use.

Cute little tab ya got there. Just curious, but have you tried some of the stellar music and photo apps on the iPad? In one of the latest "Your Verse" ads are some pretty impelling links. I personally wouldn't invest too much of my learning ability and efforts into Flash apps anymore... just sayin".... 1smoking.gif

Note: yes... I must agree that AppleInsider is one of, if not THE slowest websites and forums that I visit; which is far too many in a day so I actually know what I'm talking about... 1embarassed.gif
post #139 of 292
Quote:

Hopefully not sarcastic... but working... and I was thinking of you too yesterday... 1smile.gif

Right after I'd just finished reading this post about a Microsoft Research project into Hyperlapse video correction. The tech is really cool and useful if it ever makes it outside of the lab that is.

I just shake my head and wonder how many talented engineers and research projects up in Redmond do they have that are being wasted and will never see the light of day... and/or in the end be watered down to fit their "Windows Everywhere" mantra. The release of Office for iOS proves that they still have a bit of mojo and talent braving "the atmospheric elements" up there to put out MicroSOFTware that people want to use.

Cute little tab ya got there. Just curious, but have you tried some of the stellar music and photo apps on the iPad? In one of the latest "Your Verse" ads are some pretty impelling links. I personally wouldn't invest too much of my learning ability and efforts into Flash apps anymore... just sayin".... 1smoking.gif

Note: yes... I must agree that AppleInsider is one of, if not THE slowest websites and forums that I visit; which is far too many in a day so I actually know what I'm talking about... 1embarassed.gif

Neato, did the MS Dev site give any word on when this hyperthingie will be released, seems like the perfect addition to my Nokia 1020. Yes I've tried many music apps on my iPad as I use it predominately for musis creation. I try to keep it as clutter free as possible, only have the apps that I need, I'm constantly running out of space as I have way to many sound packs for the various midi apps installed. Even though I have a wireless SSD drive from Seagate for extra data most of the apps can't read from it directly which is frustrating, there is a Seagate app that I can use to play music and watch videos with but it's not very good. So I have to first copy the data to the iPad which defeats the purpose. So I mostly use my Nexus 10 for music and videos as I can access data pretty much from any mounted device through every app, also out of all of my devices the audio output sounds the best on the Nexus 10, has a lot to do with the Wolfson DAC that's used as the sound chip.

Which is fine as my iPad is a work tablet for me, I might get another one down the road to use for other things but for right now the Nokia 2520 and Nexus 10 work fairly well for me. The Nokia is probably the one I use the most though, emails, surfing, MS Office, web apps and photo management, I use OneDrive for all of my photos as I have a Nokia 1020 that automatically backs everything to it and I use the app Fotor to edit or enhance the photos. The Nexus 10, music, videos, light gaming and reading; Flipboard, Freely, Pinterest, ebooks, etc. My entire family is a bunch of pirates, we have a collective video collection of over a 1,000 movies from ripped DVD's and BlueRay's stored on Google Drive, which is easily streamed through the Nexus 10.

I wasn't disagreeing with you about the slowness of Appleinsider just that it's not as bad if you use a desktop browser vs. the mobile browser on the iPad.
Edited by Relic - 8/14/14 at 12:48am
post #140 of 292
Quote:

Neato, did the MS Dev site give any word on when this hyperthingie will be released, seems like the perfect addition to my Nokia 1020.

No release date mentioned. However it is just this sort of software that as a "software" house with "software" in their name... would be great if they decided to license the tech to someone or anyone else so that it could be added to ANY software package that could gain from it. Such as Apple, Adobe, GoPro(!) etc. Keeping it bottled up in the lab in Redmond and waiting for their own software platforms or hardware to catch up (and on) is being blind to reality. They are not a "go to" creative software company with anything in their portfolio that could really make use of this tech.... and even advance upon it. This from my point of view would be very frustrating as an engineer, let a one a creative.
Quote:
Yes I've tried many music apps on my iPad as I use it predominately for musis creation. I try to keep it as clutter free as possible, only have the apps that I need, I'm constantly running out of space as I have way to many sound packs for the various midi apps installed. Even though I have a wireless SSD drive from Seagate for extra data most of the apps can't read from it directly which is frustrating, there is a Seagate app that I can use to play music and watch videos with but it's not very good. So I have to first copy the data to the iPad which defeats the purpose.

While I've long taken advantage of some great apps like FileBrowser for iOS for any datafile, and ServeToMe or AirPlayIt for movies and music... I've l been longing and wishing for Apple to realize the potential of an easy to use and set up Home Cloud Server. It should have it's own iOS and OSX app to set up and admin, and be able to serve just about any kind of data as long as the iOS parent app (like your music apps, or photo apps in my case scenario) can read it.
Quote:
So I mostly use my Nexus 10 for music and videos as I can access data pretty much from any mounted device through every app, also out of all of my devices the audio output sounds the best on the Nexus 10, has a lot to do with the Wolfson DAC that's used as the sound chip.

Interesting choice, because a number of serious music guru's that post here still say Android isn't anything worth looking at for music production.
Quote:
Which is fine as my iPad is a work tablet for me, I might get another one down the road to use for other things but for right now the Nokia 2520 and Nexus 10 work fairly well for me. The Nokia is probably the one I use the most though, emails, surfing, MS Office, web apps and photo management, I use OneDrive for all of my photos as I have a Nokia 1020 that automatically backs everything to it and I use the app Fotor to edit or enhance the photos. The Nexus 10, music, videos, light gaming and reading; Flipboard, Freely, Pinterest, ebooks, etc. My entire family is a bunch of pirates, we have a collective video collection of over a 1,000 movies from ripped DVD's and BlueRay's stored on Google Drive, which is easily streamed through the Nexus 10.

I also have multiple massive libraries of... um... assets and media here. Far too much to stream or backup all of it over the internet. I have all of the main cloud accounts like yours, including Box, Amazon, PictureLife (really good photo backup), Flickr (terabyte for free... can't beat that)... and for a DYI personal cloud solution at a separate location, BitTorrent Sync. Works extremely well.
Quote:
I wasn't disagreeing with you about the slowness of Appleinsider just that it's not as bad if you use a desktop browser vs. the mobile browser on the iPad.

That's probably true as long as you can block certain ads and SERVICES***. On iOS Safari I repeatedly get thrown out of AI because a) a number of German localized banner ads keep pitching me into the App Store unless I leave the App Store open (can only then choose "cancel"); or b) the sick and backwards German preferred way of adverts by using blinking and animated GIFs all over the damn place like it's 1999(!).

*** Google services (mostly analytics and AdSense) throwing up multiple errors under Safari (dev mode iPad);
[Error] ReferenceError: Can't find variable: GS_googleAddAdSenseService
global code (appleinsider.com, line 25)
[Error] ReferenceError: Can't find variable: GA_googleAddSlot
global code (appleinsider.com, line 31)
[Error] ReferenceError: Can't find variable: GA_googleFetchAds
global code (appleinsider.com, line 33)
[Log] Push Notifications are available for Safari browser only (appleinsider.com, line 33) ??????????
[Error] ReferenceError: Can't find variable: GA_googleFillSlot
global code (appleinsider.com, line 189)
global code (appleinsider.com, line 206)
global code (appleinsider.com, line 747)
global code (appleinsider.com, line 780)

Exactly 100 Javascript (jquery) errors in Firefox. (To be honest, my FF is full of extensions. Some errors may be related to that.)

22 errors in Chrome, like this one:
Resource interpreted as Image but transferred with MIME type text/javascript

Anyway, crap like that takes it's toll on mobile browsers(!)

@AppleInsider - Yes... I block the majority of your ads. Not because I don't want you to be compensated for the site and your efforts... but because the advertisers on your subscribed ad network are so very nauseating and obnoxious(!!!) No I haven't given your App a try after the first version was so horrendous. You guys really need to look into getting some decent designers/site engineers in the house. Yeah I know: chicken and egg and I'm not helping. My apologies.
post #141 of 292
Quote:

Interesting choice, because a number of serious music guru's that post here still say Android isn't anything worth looking at for music production.

Oh, I think you misunderstand me, I don't use the Nexus 10 for music production, that job defiantly goes to my iPad and Surface 3, no I use the Nexus 10 to listen too music and watch movies as it has a 16:9 aspect ratio and built in HDMI, I hate black lines.

post #142 of 292
Quote:

Neato, did the MS Dev site give any word on when this hyperthingie will be released, seems like the perfect addition to my Nokia 1020. Yes I've tried many music apps on my iPad as I use it predominately for musis creation. I try to keep it as clutter free as possible, only have the apps that I need, I'm constantly running out of space as I have way to many sound packs for the various midi apps installed. Even though I have a wireless SSD drive from Seagate for extra data most of the apps can't read from it directly which is frustrating, there is a Seagate app that I can use to play music and watch videos with but it's not very good. So I have to first copy the data to the iPad which defeats the purpose. So I mostly use my Nexus 10 for music and videos as I can access data pretty much from any mounted device through every app, also out of all of my devices the audio output sounds the best on the Nexus 10, has a lot to do with the Wolfson DAC that's used as the sound chip.

Just a bit of unsolicited free advice (take it for what it's worth), Google Drive is not secure and Google may be under some legal requirement to report evidence of large numbers of movie files under the DMCA. You could be looking at fines totaling hundreds of thousands of dollars or more if you're caught. Like I said, take it as a friendly warning.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #143 of 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Just a bit of unsolicited free advice (take it for what it's worth), Google Drive is not secure and Google may be under some legal requirement to report evidence of large numbers of movie files under the DMCA. You could be looking at fines totaling hundreds of thousands of dollars or more if you're caught. Like I said, take it as a friendly warning.

Switzerland doesn't recognize such lawsuits against their citizens, the DMCA tried a few times but every single time the case was thrown out of the courts. We don't play their silly games here.

Besides it's 100% legal in Switzerland to do so.

Here's a study we did on the subject

http://www.ejpd.admin.ch/content/ejpd/de/home/dokumentation/mi/2011/2011-11-30.html

This is basically what our courts said;

One in three people in Switzerland download unauthorized music, movies and games from the Internet and since last year the government has been wondering what to do about it. This week their response was published and it was crystal clear. Not only will downloading for personal use stay completely legal, but the copyright holders won't suffer because of it, since people eventually spend the money saved on entertainment products.

Edited by Relic - 8/14/14 at 6:50am
post #144 of 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

FWIW if there's a legal requirement to report it wouldn't that law apply to all Cloud providers? For instance I know that Apple iCloud and Verizon's Cloud Backup are both required by law to report child porn found in US users accounts as are all other cloud providers. AFAIK they all scan users uploaded and emailed files.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/cassie-slane/yes-your-cloud-storage-pr_b_2853948.html
melior diabolus quem scies
melior diabolus quem scies
post #145 of 292
Quote:

Switzerland doesn't recognize such lawsuits against their citizens, the DMCA tried a few times but every single time the case was thrown out of the courts. We don't play their silly games here.

Besides it's 100% legal in Switzerland to do so.

Here's a study we did on the subject

http://www.ejpd.admin.ch/content/ejpd/de/home/dokumentation/mi/2011/2011-11-30.html

This is basically what our courts said;

One in three people in Switzerland download unauthorized music, movies and games from the Internet and since last year the government has been wondering what to do about it. This week their response was published and it was crystal clear. Not only will downloading for personal use stay completely legal, but the copyright holders won't suffer because of it, since people eventually spend the money saved on entertainment products.

Wow, sound like third world lawlessness to me, It's ok to steal copyrighted works. 

(unless it belongs to the Swiss Railway eh?)

As someone who make a living via copyright I find that totally reprehensible, what gives you the right to steal my work?

Can I steal yours?

post #146 of 292

Sounds like the world’s least logical conclusion to me.

post #147 of 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Yep that and the "they make too much money, they don't need or deserve any more" rationalization are likely the #1 and #2 justifications for stealing copyrighted works.

I'll tell you what Relic, you can talk about actors singers directors and producers making a lot of money, and some do. But their talent is one in a million (perhaps end one in ten or a hundred million) and that kind if single tall end tends to be rewarded well (when it is a desired skill (i.e. footballers or roundballers) However understand, 90% (or better) of the production costs of a work goes into production, paying the hundreds who toil and provide services to those who produce behind the scenes.

You are a thief (apparently condoned by a morally bankrupt government) and you are stealing the money I use to feed and put a roof over the heads of my children. I see you as no better than a common thief who breaks into peoples houses or business and takes things. Perhaps even beneath them, because they know they are thieves and at least don't have a smug and entitled attitude about it.

post #148 of 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyFX View Post

Yep that and the "they make too much money, they don't need or deserve any more" rationalization are likely the #1 and #2 justifications for stealing copyrighted works.

I'll tell you what Relic, you can talk about actors singers directors and producers making a lot of money, and some do. But their talent is one in a million (perhaps end one in ten or a hundred million) and that kind if single tall end tends to be rewarded well (when it is a desired skill (i.e. footballers or roundballers) However understand, 90% (or better) of the production costs of a work goes into production, paying the hundreds who toil and provide services to 
those who produce behind the scenes.

You are a thief (apparently condoned by a morally bankrupt government) and you are stealing the money I use to feed and put a roof over the heads of my children. I see you as no better than a common thief who breaks into peoples houses or business and takes things. Perhaps even beneath them, because they know they are thieves and at least don't have a smug and entitled attitude about it.

I'm not or have ever been a thief, if you read my post I clearly stated that all of our movies are ripped from DVD's and BlueRay's. I simply moved the media that I paid for from one medium to another. So next time you decide to go after someone with this holier than thou attitude it might be a good idea too actually read and comprehended what the person wrote. Do you really think I would be so glib about pirating movies. I've discussed this before in greater detail how I made a DVD ripping rig to transfer all of our families massive movie collection over to an all digital format so we could stream them to our tablet and phones. But you would probably know this if you were a member for more then a minute, instead you assumed that I was some sort of delinquent pirate, shame on you. Why don't you get to know a little more before you try to assassinate our characters.
Edited by Relic - 8/14/14 at 1:46pm
post #149 of 292
Quote:

I'm not or have never been a thief, if you read my post I clearly stated that all of our movies are ripped from DVD's and BlueRay's. I simply moved the media that I paid for from one medium to another. So next time you decide to go after someone with this holeyer then now attitude it might be a good idea too actually read and comprehended what the person wrote. Do you really think I would be so glib about pirating movies. I've discussed this before in greater detail how I made a DVD ripping rig to transfer all of our families massive movie collection over to an all digital format so we could stream them to our tablet and phones.

Actually, ripped Blu-Ray discs are in violation of existing copyrights. You are technically breaking the law. It's my understanding that personal backups of DVDs are treated differently by the law.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #150 of 292
Quote:

I am and have never been a thief, if you read my post I clearly stated that all of our movies are rippped from DVD's and BlueRay's that we paid for. I simply moved the media that I paid for from one medium to another. So next time you decide to go after someone with a this holeyer then now attitude it might be a good idea too actually read and comprehended what the person wrote. Do you really think I would be so glib about pirating movies. I've discussed this before in greater detail how I made a DVD ripping rig to transfer our families mass collection over to an all digital format.

Not trying insult you but I'm not sure I buy that backtracking. You quoted (with hubris) that some court in you government determined it it was ok to steal, therefor it is "100% ok" to steal others works.

Listen, i'm glad you saw the error in your ways and hope you do (or already have) put it into practice but to post that nonsense and then come back and try to backpedal is disingenuous at best.

Edited by IndyFX - 8/14/14 at 2:04pm
post #151 of 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

The Surface is a compromise product.

Not as light or easy to use as a tablet.

Not as powerful or easy to type as a laptop.

Respectfully, I recall similar (dead wrong) critiques of the iPad.... please hold your flames till the end....

I've recently moved from the a PC+Mac_iOS world to a Mac+iOS world. I've seen this surface3 and its a decent piece of HARDWARE- certainly the best that MS has built. It may win a bells and whistles bake-off, but it will never hold a candle to the use-ability of a MBP or a iPad.

If MS had released this a couple years ago (before there was a glimmer of hope for MS Office on Ipad) they MIGHT have gotten some traction with corporate users (our company for sure). But its far too late now. Corporate users that were married to MS have had YEARS to figure our work-arounds to start using their beloved i-devices . And, big companies have also responded and found a place for Apple in some previously MS only environments.

Anyways, its a nice try.... if it was released in 2000 if might have had a chance.

macbook pro's (x4) -  iPhone6, 5s, 5, 4s - iPads (x4) - 27" iMac - AppleTv
post #152 of 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

http://abc7.com/shopping/back-to-school-shopping-best-laptops-for-all-ages/253494/

huh?

for high school students (to take notes!!) they recommend a surface pro ($1000 + $130 cover)

for college students they recommend a 1300 macbook, but then lament its pricey? 

wtf... 1300 is pricey for a laptop, but 1130 is not (for a tablet)?

post #153 of 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

It's actually not Tallest, first even if my government allowed foreign governing bodies to sue our citizens It wouldn't be worth their time or money to do as they would only be able to get the amount they would have lost in sales, that's it, no emotional damages nonsense, no penalties, so if say 20 movies were found on someones hard drive, the most they would get is around 400 bucks and they would still have to pay for their own legal fees as we don't make the loosing side cover legal expenses here for a suit like this. Switzerland has one of the lowest suing rates in Europe, it just doesn't happen much here, we also cap the max amount of money someone could sue for, most of the time it's only for the amount that was lost.

Our government did extensive studies on this mater and found that even though there were a few that abused the system, people who downloaded from torrent sites actually spent more a year on media content then those who didn't as they were exposed to more . In the end though it was the people and not the government who actually voted against going after content pirates. So you can't call our government morally bankrupt as Mr. I jump to conclusions because I only comprehend the parts that I want to IndyFX. I personally don't condone pirating but I also don't was some foreigner coming in and going after my fellow countrymen either to make a quick buck or try to make some kind of example, we kicked Apple and Samsung to the curb when they tried to sue each other here, so we're defiantly not going to allow the DMCA to go after our citizens. Some of these horror stories I hear of the DMCA suing families for ungodly amounts of money because their teenage son downloaded a few movies is down right disgusting. I'm happy that our voice is not only heard here but has clout as well.

With services like Spotify and Netflix the need to pirate has dropped extensively anyway.

Edited by Relic - 8/14/14 at 2:42pm
post #154 of 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyFX View Post

Not trying insult you but I'm not sure I buy that backtracking. You quoted (with hubris) that some court in you government determined it it was ok to steal, therefor it is "100% ok" to steal others works.

Listen, i'm glad you saw the error in your ways and hope you do (or already have) put it into practice but to post that nonsense and then come back and try to backpedal is disingenuous at best.

Backpedal, what are you talking about, I was replying to SpamSandwich who was suggesting that I watch my back for having movies in my Google Drive. I posted a link to a government study that shows that they don't go after people for such things. I wasn't back pedaling anything.

I teasingly said my family is a bunch of pirates, but it isn't pirating when you own the media that your ripping is it.  Again your jumping to conclusions, the reasons why others didn't scold me is because they have been here for a while and they know me, Again I suggest you get to know us before calling us out on something that you misinterpret or your stay here is going to be very unpleasant.

"My entire family is a bunch of pirates, we have a collective video collection of over a 1,000 movies from ripped DVD's and BlueRay's stored on Google Drive, which is easily streamed through the Nexus 10."  I thought I didn't need to say that those DVD's and BlueRays were ours as it's pretty obvious and I didn't say that they were downloaded from a torrent site. I would have been a lot more cordial and just called the whole situation a misunderstanding but you made it personal by calling me a thief, as a newbie you need to be a little more careful in the future, okay. 

Edited by Relic - 8/14/14 at 2:46pm
post #155 of 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowepg View Post

huh?
for high school students (to take notes!!) they recommend a surface pro ($1000 + $130 cover)

And once you consider Windows included and commonly purchased SW v Mac OS X that price difference may end up in Apple's favour.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #156 of 292
Quote:

huh?

Have you seen one of these for the iPad, cool huh?

Oh and the Surface 3 starts at 740.00, just FYI. But for a college student I think Nokia 2520 would be a better fit, comes with Office Pro as well.

Edited by Relic - 8/14/14 at 3:01pm
post #157 of 292
Quote:

Oh and the Surface 3 starts at 740.00, just FYI. But for a college student I think Nokia 2520 would be a better fit.

I know. But I was referring to the article referenced and they listed the surface price.

However, I wouldn't THINK of running windows software with 4GB of ram... so really, the surface end up being more like $1299 when you equip it properly (8GB of ram model).

post #158 of 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

And once you consider Windows included and commonly purchased SW v Mac OS X that price difference may end up in Apple's favour.

How do you figure, Office for education is only 80 bucks

Quote:

I know. But I was referring to the article referenced and they listed the surface price.

However, I wouldn't THINK of running windows software with 4GB of ram... so really, the surface end up being more like $1299 when you equip it properly (8GB of ram model).

4GB is plenty, what exactly do you want to run?

post #159 of 292
Quote:

How do you figure, Office for education is only 80 bucks

4GB is plenty, what exactly do you want to run?

4Gb is "plenty"?!?! I'd say "marginal" or "borderline" but certainly not plenty. That's not been my experience. It'd be different if we were talking a system that was user-upgradable. However, with these locked-down devices i would always err on the side of MORE ram since it can never be added later.

My point is, quoting the price for the 4gb unit is really for the stripped-down version... not necessarily relevant.

post #160 of 292

Quote:

4Gb is "plenty"?!?! I'd say "marginal" or "borderline" but certainly not plenty. That's not been my experience. It'd be different if we were talking a system that was user-upgradable. However, with these locked-down devices i would always err on the side of MORE ram since it can never be added later.

My point is, quoting the price for the 4gb unit is really for the stripped-down version... not necessarily relevant.

Well it really depends on what your plans are for the device. I have the i5, 8GB, 256gb  version of the Surface 3 but I'm using it for Abelton Live, FL Studio and Adobe Creative Cloud Complete Education Edition (I share it with my daughter, which works fine as they allow you to install it on two machines, even with different OS's, I use it on a Windows 8 machine and my daughter uses it on a MacBook Air,  we just can't use it at the same time), by the way their subscription prices aren't as bad as some people make it out to be. I used to upgrade my Photoshop, Premiere, LightRoom and DreamWeaver license, probably once every 3 years, sometimes sooner if the upgrade was significant enough. So when you consider I only pay 720.00 now for those three years with the Education discount (20.00 a month) and we get the entire Adobe software library, it's quite a deal. 

My daughter uses Premier, AfterEffectsAudition CC and Photoshop for her little movies and she's getting quite good and I use Photoshop, LightRoom, Dreamweaver and have been playing around with Edge ReFlow. The reason why I spent a little time talking about Adobe's software is because they run like a dream on the Surface 3, Photoshop is fantastic with a pen. Illustrator is the only program from the entire Adobe library that I had problems with, you really have to use the pen or mouse with it, which is fine as I don't really use the program.

A lot of you keep skipping over the fact that the Surface Pro 3 is a touch device and has an active digitizer. A Wacom Cintiq 13HD cost's nearly 1,000.00, yesthis device is probably more accurate but no BS here guys, when working in a program like Photoshop, the Surface pro 3 is flawless. A MacBook Air simply doesn't have a touchscreen or pen support because if it I would have never bothered with the Surface in the first place, yes, you can add accessories to make the MacBook Air into a decent artist tool by purchasing a Wacom board but that just adds to the costs and again you still won't have the advantages a touchscreen and pen bring to the table. So you can’t really compare the MacBook Air to the Surface Pro 3, their just completely different machines all together. Just FYI, I am in no way saying the MacBook Air isn’t a decent machine because it is, their fantastic and I will always have one in my life. The Surface 3 is just an additional tool to be used with apps that can utilize it's potential.

The Surface Pro 3 is actually a very powerful useful tool and it can be a great companion for those who are seeking it's feature set. A lot of you are correct with the assumption that It probably won't make the best laptop but that doesn’t mean it's useless. There are still a number of great applications that work fantastically with the Surface and could make your workflow a lot more productive. As I mentioned on many occasions I use mine predominantly for Abelton Live, I have a cute little white vivitek QUMI Q5 projector connected via the Display Port, too give me an extra workspace, as Abelton Live has a powerful macro language and allows for custom controls, I can make nice big buttons that are easily activated using the touchscreen, this is so great guys, for example; when I'm in the zone playing on my midi keyboard, I can activate different sounds on the fly, record, stop/start a beat, you name it, so much faster and less intrusive then using a mouse. That's why I love my iPad for music creation more then my MacBook Air. So I rarely have to use my mouse or keyboard anymore, which means I work faster and smarter. This setup is something that I've wanted for a very long time and the Surface Pro 3 made it possible. I will probably replace the little beamer with another touch monitor, I want something that is adjustable to different angles, do any of you have any ideas. All I can do is shop around online right now as I'm not mobile, so if possible I would like some suggestions from people who have actually used the device their recommending.

So wow, I got side tracked their didn’t I. Above is an example of what I'm doing with an i5, 8GB hybrid tablet but what about a Windows 8 tablet that only has 2GB or RAM. Presenting the Nokia 2520, I love this machine, not only is the design cool, has one of the nicest keyboards I have ever used on a tablet. You will be surprised as to how much you can actually do with a tablet that has such modest specs. Qualcomm 800, 2GB RAM, 32GB SSD, 128GB Mini SD, beautiful 1080P display. I know It's easy to down play a Windows 8 tablet because of how incredible the Apple iPad is. But something like the Nokia 2520 still has something to offer for those who can look past their bias attitudes on none Apple products.

Here is a list of some of programs and things I use and dowith my Nokia.

Surfing (This is a biggy for me, the browsers are full featured desktop applications, even the ones on the Metro side, there is also Flash, as a lot of popular web apps still use Flash it's an important feature for me. Lastly, sites like Appleinsider can bring a tablet using a mobile browser to it's knees, not so on the Nokia 2530, there isn’t so much as a hiccup, almost every site runs just as smooth. Not only that but currently I have 25 tabs opened, split screen with a DIVX movie being played on the right, left is MS Word where I am currently typing this and 6 metro apps opened, all running in the background, not paused, running, with absolutely zero lag.) 

• IE, Desktop Version 

• IE: Metro Version 

• UC Browser HD: Metro Version (pretty neat browser, defiantly beats)

Office (Nothing beats using a full version of MS Office and when paired with a good keyboard typing long posts such as this is almost thereputic. 

• Word 

• Excel 

• PowerPoint 

• OneNote: Desktop Version 

• OneNote: Metro Version (I prefer this one over the desktop version and I can't wait till Microsoft finally releases a touch version of Office) 

• Outlook: Desktop Version (I use this for my personal domain and Hotmail accounts) 

• Outlook: Metro Version (I like using this version for AOL, Yahoo and Google accounts) 

Music (Nothing special here, works like ever other tablet, though I do have to say the built in speakers sound pretty good.) 

• Spotify (such a nice interface for Metro ) 

• Audials Radio Pro (best Podcast player I've used on the Windows 8 platform, highly recommended, only 3.00 bucks too) 

• TuneIn (great online radio player) 

• Clouder 

• Edjing (I use this app in conjunction with Spotify, I like making my own mix's, defiantly a fun app) 

• Groove (for listening to local music which is located on my 128GB SanDisk Mini SD card and OneDrive) 

Videos (Watching videos on this tablet is a real treat, the colors are vibrant, blacks are real, no lag in the videos what's so ever and I only stream 1080) 

• NetFlix 

• Zattoo (a fantastic TV app, probably the best one I have ever used) 

• TED (I could spend hours on this app, one of the most interesting things to come out of the internet in a long while) 

•  Hype (fantastic YouTube app) 

•  VLC (Metro version of the this very popular app, plays almost every codec there is, I use it for streaming my videos directly from OneDive and Google Drive. Though not really necessary as both these cloud services provide wonderful web interfaces that can stream pretty much anything that is stored in them.) 

Content Consumption Apps (The content is the same on every tablet but what makes Windows 8 unique is the design of the apps, very attractive, intuitive and extremely fast) 

• Flipboard (awesome, must have, if you don’t use it right now there is something wrong with you) 

• Pinterest (waning this app is more addictive then crack, super coooool!) 

• AppyGeek (another fun one for tech addicts) 

• News 360 (Onee of the nicest looking apps out their, also very addictive) 

• News Republic 

• CNN 

• BBC 

• Feedly (my favorite)  

• and a bunch of local German and French news apps 

Photo Editing (I really like managing my photos with this tablet, it's so much easier when every app can access not only your local photos but your cloud stuff as well. The large beautiful screen also helps a lot) 

• Fotor (one of my favorite photo enhancers, super fast, great interface.) 

•  Pixlr (a web app, Photoshop like functionality, tons of features that are constantly being updated and added too, also one of the most popular photo editing apps on the internet, when in full screen you would never know you were using a web app) 

• KVADPhot0+ Pro (some of the best filters around, not to mention that theirs hundreds of them, defiantly worth the 4.00 bucks their charging) 

• Image (at 10.00 bucks it isn’t cheap but a must have photo viewer none the less, not only is it super fast, can access all of your cloud storage accounts but can display any information that is imbedded into the image. Worth ever penny, a no brainer) 

• Roxio MediaBook Ultimate (great program for making online photo albums. handles audio and video as well, a little on the expensive side, 20.00, but your photo albums look fantastic when finished. 

• Flickr 

• 500px 

• OneDrive (the app itself is a great way to manage and do light editing of your pictures, the online version is even better.) 

Editing Videos 

•  CyberLinks PowerDirector, (Easy and fairly powerful video editor) 

• Nokia Storyteller 

• Nokia Video Director (there is nothing out their wuite like it, you can edit a video, add transition, background music, slow down segments, etc. very good little video app for quick and dirty cuts. Also converts videos very quickly) 

Music Creation (no where near as good as an iPad but the number of new apps popping up is pretty impressive none the less and FL Studio Groove is just incredible, wipes the floor with the iOS and Android mobile versions) 

• FL Studio Groove (Love this app, if you like making music this is a must have no doubt about it, almost worth buying a windows 8 tablet just for this program, it's that good, also works with many midi controller's out of the box. I recommend one of these; 

•  

• AudioTool (web app, but runs so good it's hard to tell the difference, like FL Studio Groove this is a must have, also works with midi controllers) 

• Vintage Synth 

• Vintage Drums 

• PhonicScore (great tool to manage, create and hear your sheet music, I spend a lot of time with this one)  

• Sequencer 

• Sampler 

So what do you think about 4GB of memory now, if I can run everything above with only 2GB and a silly ARM Qualcomm 800 CPU and do so without any lag what so ever, I'm sure you could work miracles with 4GB.

Edited by Relic - 8/15/14 at 6:41am
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Microsoft says Surface Pro 3 more powerful, flexible than MacBook Air in latest ads