or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Wwdc

Wwdc - Page 9

post #321 of 771
my expectations for wwdc2003

Panther preview..of course, including demos of ichat 2 with new apple cam, demo of new safri features and other updates. New user interface demos and the like

Official unveiling of pal and how it works as a stand alone product and with a powermac.

new range of ibooks running on a 1.5 ghz gobi

64 bit towers clocking in at 1.4ghz, dual 1.6, dual 1.8 and top spec of dual 2 ghz with shed loads of ram and high end nvidia or ati rendering cards costing just under £3000.

Unveiling of new 64 bit power books 12inch at 1.2ghz, 15.4 inch at 1.4 and 17 inch at 1.6ghz
post #322 of 771
that would be sweet
post #323 of 771
No way..
We'll have 7457/47 PB and 970 PM...
8)
post #324 of 771
Quote:
Originally posted by Niconono
No way..
We'll have 7457/47 PB and 970 PM...
8)

go away... let me dream. 7457 in a pb is bad, bad, bad news.
(that implicates no pb970 before mwsf2004)
alles sal reg kom
alles sal reg kom
post #325 of 771
The 7457 is not a bad processor. It's much faster than the actual 7455.
post #326 of 771
Did anyone get the Pal photos before the poster pulled 'em? Post them if you did!
post #327 of 771
huh?? they are in the real pal thread which is in mac os x
post #328 of 771
Quote:
Originally posted by Niconono
The 7457 is not a bad processor. It's much faster than the actual 7455.

But it isn't available yet. If we see it at all, which I doubt, it wouldn't be before late fall at the earliest.
Mac User since '86 and Apple II before that.
Mac User since '86 and Apple II before that.
post #329 of 771
Could be just a coincidence, but Intel is releasing their new 3.2GHz chip on June 23 (same date as WWDC), and according to Apple-X.net, Intel maybe releasing this chip on this date to "overshadow" the PPC 970. Could this be further evidence that the PPC 970 will be released at WWDC? It's likely that Intel knows just as much as we do on this question, but it's also entirely possible they know more than we do.
post #330 of 771
Intel can release what it likes. But we've got them this time. If the 970 hits by Summer. With Panther. 64 bits. FPU performance plus Altivec on mega-bandwidth to die for? In dual formations?

The 'destroyer'. It's name is: The 970.

Lemon Bon Bon
We do it because Steve Jobs is the supreme defender of the Macintosh faith, someone who led Apple back from the brink of extinction just four years ago. And we do it because his annual keynote is...
We do it because Steve Jobs is the supreme defender of the Macintosh faith, someone who led Apple back from the brink of extinction just four years ago. And we do it because his annual keynote is...
post #331 of 771
"my expectations for wwdc2003

Panther preview..of course, including demos of ichat 2 with new apple cam, demo of new safri features and other updates. New user interface demos and the like

Official unveiling of pal and how it works as a stand alone product and with a powermac.

new range of ibooks running on a 1.5 ghz gobi

64 bit towers clocking in at 1.4ghz, dual 1.6, dual 1.8 and top spec of dual 2 ghz with shed loads of ram and high end nvidia or ati rendering cards costing just under £3000.

Unveiling of new 64 bit power books 12inch at 1.2ghz, 15.4 inch at 1.4 and 17 inch at 1.6ghz"

Now. I. Would. Like. To. See. That.

Apple grows some balls.

Lemon Bon Bon
post #332 of 771
oh and by the way...a new range of cinema displays with the top end at 30 inch widescreen
post #333 of 771
It's getting closer to prediction time. I predict that Apple will attend WWDC. I also predict that I will have 100% accuracy rate on this one.
onlooker

http://www.apple.com/feedback/macpro.html
onlooker

http://www.apple.com/feedback/macpro.html
post #334 of 771
Quote:
Originally posted by silvergun
my expectations for wwdc2003

...ibooks running on a 1.5 ghz gobi

...64 bit towers clocking in at 1.4ghz, dual 1.6, dual 1.8 and top spec of dual 2 ghz with shed loads of ram and high end nvidia or ati rendering cards costing just under £3000.

...Unveiling of new 64 bit power books 12inch at 1.2ghz, 15.4 inch at 1.4 and 17 inch at 1.6ghz

And then you woke up

A jump from 900MHz to 1.5GHz on the iBook, in one fell swoop? I SERIOUSLY doubt it. Has Apple ever done anything remotely like this? Not that I'm aware of.

The tower thing is halfway reasonable, but I bet it won't top out as high as 1.8 and 2GHz. Pretty optimistic, considering.

PowerBooks? The 17" is barely shipping in reasonable quantities after its unveiling SIX MONTHS AGO.

I do, however expect something on the 15" PowerBook front, but it'll simply be a 1GHz (possibly a tad higher) G4, but will be in the aluminum case of the 12" and 15" models (improved AirPort, Bluetooth, AirPort Extreme and possible (probable, IMO) FireWire 800. Jury is still out on the light-up keyboard.

And the 12"? You know what, if that damn thing wasn't so $#%@# crippled and TRULY lived up to its moniker (DVI, L3 cache, etc.), that would be - hands down - THE coolest product in Apple's lineup. The optimistic, "gee, I hope!" part of me thinks about these recent price drops and thinks that might signal something is up in the 12" PowerBook front...if only to pack the damn thing with the features that make it truly a PowerBook and in the league of the 12" and 17" model.

Right now, it's just an iBook in a nice metal shell and a sporting a G4.

Hardly earth-shattering, since the 12" model (at 1024x768) is the ONE product in the PowerBook lineup screaming for DVI.

post #335 of 771
how about new pro keyboard and mouse with bluetooth? you can plug it in through firewire to recharge and the mouse would have 3 buttons for the pro user and 1 for the imac..the ipod type wheel being in the middle and 1 on either side.
post #336 of 771
Quote:
Originally posted by pscates
PowerBooks? The 17" is barely shipping in reasonable quantities after its unveiling SIX MONTHS AGO.

Five!
JLL

95% percent of the boat is owned by Microsoft, but the 5% Apple controls happens to be the rudder!
JLL

95% percent of the boat is owned by Microsoft, but the 5% Apple controls happens to be the rudder!
post #337 of 771
Quote:
Originally posted by onlooker
It's getting closer to prediction time. I predict that Apple will attend WWDC. I also predict that I will have 100% accuracy rate on this one.

Watch...they'll be a no show and you will be eating crow! CROW I SAY! CROW!!!!

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
post #338 of 771
Quote:
Originally posted by JLL
Five!

Whatever. 3, 5, 6, etc. Once again, a big splashy unveiling, hype-fest during a keynote, only to be followed by weeks and months of "huh? Where is it already?!?"

That's the point. Don't nitpick numbers. Is five months somehow less aggravating and frustrating than six?

post #339 of 771
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
post #340 of 771
The 12" Powerbook and the 1.42 Power Mac are EOL. In fact Apple stopped making the 1.42 about a week ago. If you order a BTO they are basically taking a stock machine and making the changes you requested.
post #341 of 771
Quote:
Originally posted by NewOrder
The 12" Powerbook and the 1.42 Power Mac are EOL. In fact Apple stopped making the 1.42 about a week ago. If you order a BTO they are basically taking a stock machine and making the changes you requested.

...and you know this how?
Attention Internet Users!

"it's" contraction of "it is"
"its" possessive form of the pronoun "it".

It's shameful how grammar on the Internet is losing its accuracy.

post #342 of 771
he knows. believe me.

</cryptic>
post #343 of 771
Quote:

Where does that leave the rest of the current PowerMac line?
post #344 of 771
Quote:

That further proves that the current 1.42Ghz G4s are the overclocked chips
Mac Pro 2.66, 5GB RAM, 250+120 HD, 23" Cinema Display
MacBook 1.83GHz, 2GB RAM
Mac Pro 2.66, 5GB RAM, 250+120 HD, 23" Cinema Display
MacBook 1.83GHz, 2GB RAM
post #345 of 771

1977 Apple II released

On June 5, 1977, the Apple II personal computer went on sale. The machine, which sold for $1,298, was the first commercially successful personal computer. Developer Steve Wozniak had created the Apple I to impress his friends in the Homebrew Computer Club in the early 1970s. Wozniak's sidekick, Steve Jobs, urged his friend to create a computer they could sell, and the two started Apple Computer in Jobs' garage. The Apple II boasted a color screen and a built-in version of the BASIC computer language.
post #346 of 771
I can offer further evidence of the 1.42's demise:

A local seller was told by Apple to not order any more of the 1.42s. They are EOL.

Dare one even type the word: confir----
J.C. Corbin, Apple Certified Technical Coordinator
Member, Apple Consultants Network
www.ro3.com
www.ro3.com
post #347 of 771
Quote:
Originally posted by jccbin
I can offer further evidence of the 1.42's demise:

A local seller was told by Apple to not order any more of the 1.42s. They are EOL.

Dare one even type the word: confir----

Or it's just because of this.
JLL

JLL

post #348 of 771
Quote:
Originally posted by JLL
Or it's just because of this.

That rumored "technical update" would be invisible to consumers and resellers alike. EOL status would not be necessary for such a change.

post #349 of 771
Quote:
Originally posted by Ensign Pulver
That rumored "technical update" would be invisible to consumers and resellers alike. EOL status would not be necessary for such a change.

Since the updated model will have a new SKU, wouldn't the existing model get an EOL status?
JLL

JLL

post #350 of 771
Quote:
Originally posted by JLL
Since the updated model will have a new SKU, wouldn't the existing model get an EOL status?

Who says it will require a new SKU? From the TS article:

"Apple is set to finalize P58C in the next week or so, and will then quietly begin shipping the updated models to the retail channel."

post #351 of 771
Quote:
Originally posted by Ensign Pulver
Who says it will require a new SKU? From the TS article:

"Apple is set to finalize P58C in the next week or so, and will then quietly begin shipping the updated models to the retail channel."

From the same article:

"On the outside, P58C will probably be indistinguishable from the current Power Mac, aside from a new product number."
JLL

JLL

post #352 of 771
Quote:
Originally posted by JLL
From the same article:

"On the outside, P58C will probably be indistinguishable from the current Power Mac, aside from a new product number."

Are product numbers and SKUs the same thing? Does it really matter? TS said this was to have gone into effect two weeks ago, so maybe the whole thing is bogus anyway.

post #353 of 771
Quote:

i love you neworder...will you marry me??

neworder is always right....so what is replacing them...i see 970 PM and the 12" powerbook going with a new MB to stop it from being crippled...

g
it's all fun till somebody loses an eye
it's all fun till somebody loses an eye
post #354 of 771
That TS article has been gone over three or four times. Let it die people. Nick DePlume himself came on here and said it basically meant nothing.

I think he was just using it so he could put that little 970 teaser on the end.
A good brain ain't diddly if you don't have the facts
A good brain ain't diddly if you don't have the facts
post #355 of 771
The reseller I spoke with mentioned only the 1.42s, not the others. Surely a technical update would be across the board?
www.ro3.com
www.ro3.com
post #356 of 771
Quote:
Originally posted by jccbin
The reseller I spoke with mentioned only the 1.42s, not the others. Surely a technical update would be across the board?

Yes, I would think it would be across the board unless...maybe....Apple is thinking on releasing the 970 from the top down. Would that make sense? Start with the top end as a 1.4 GHz 970 and leave the others as G4 for a few more months. Then bring in the higher rated 970's over the next couple of months while they get rid of the old G4's and make a killing $$$$ charging a premium for the 1.4 GHz 970. If they have to drop the prices to get rid of the G4's, they get a lineup with both cheap PowerMacs and a high margin (if the rumors regarding the 970 pricing are to be believed) top end -that most will spring for becasue its so much better. Then Sep/Oct they go all 970. Just a thought-let the flames fly....
post #357 of 771
jccbin:

It's entirely possible (if not likely) that they EOL the 1.42 GHz systems because they would expect the existing stock to last until the big update. The lower-end systems are logically more affordable for most, so they need to be produced over a longer period of time. While Apple would certainly want to clear out their stock by the time the PPC 970 hits (assuming it hits this summer), they don't want to have a premature shortage!
post #358 of 771
Quote:
Originally posted by Carson O'Genic
[B]Yes, I would think it would be across the board unless...maybe....Apple is thinking on releasing the 970 from the top down. Would that make sense? /B]

No. Nobody, and I mean nobody, is going to buy a hypothetical new G4 when a 970 based machine is available. I don't care what the price points are. The Power Mac line will go all 970, from top to bottom, all at once.

The cheapskates out there will be able to get the remaining stock of 1.0/1.25/1.42 G4s at firesale prices for a few weeks. (God knows Fry's will have old G4s out on the floor until Christmas.)

post #359 of 771
If they gave the 12" model just SOME of the features of the current (and upcoming) 15" and the 17", I'd happily buy it instead of the upcoming aluminum 15" I'm currently saving/planning for, and not feel bad or like I'm compromising.

I'd MUCH rather have - for "on the go" and all - the small, sexy-as-can-be 12" model, to be honest. Then I'd simply buy a righteous Apple or other nice digital LCD for "serious" work and home use. Along with an external keyboard/mouse. And maybe even that cool iPerch announced today!

Required for me to buy 12" model:
- L3 cache
- DVI

Not required, but would make me part with my money even quicker (the following are in addition to the two previous features):
- FireWire 800
- 2x SuperDrive w/ 16x CD-R (as opposed to current 1x/8x)
- Both RAM slots user accessible (again that word...did I spell it right?)...a PowerBook (ANY PowerBook) should have 1GB RAM expansion capability. 640MB for a "pro" laptop is goofy!

That's it, really. Apple does those first two and that's my new Mac, hands down. They do the OTHER three and I'll buy two of them!

Otherwise, it's 15" city...
post #360 of 771
Quote:
Originally posted by pscates
If they gave the 12" model just SOME of the features of the current (and upcoming) 15" and the 17", I'd happily buy it instead and not feel bad or like I'm compromising.

Required for me to buy 12" model:
- L3 cache
- DVI

Not required, but would make me part with my money even quicker (the following are in addition to the two previous features):
- FireWire 800
- 2x SuperDrive w/ 16x CD-R (as opposed to current 1x/8x)
- Both RAM slots user accessible (again that word...did I spell it right?)...a PowerBook (ANY PowerBook) should have 1GB RAM expansion capability. 640MB for a "pro" laptop is goofy!

Add a decent graphics card to that must have list and you've got it. I am a happy 1GHz TiBook owner, but would sell it for the 12" you describe in a heartbeat. Throw in a 20" Cinema Display for use at the house and you have the perfect Mac experience both at home and on the road.

Hhmmm, on second thought I think a lot of people would do exactly this and sales of of the 15"and 17" would suffer. The 12" is crippled for a reason.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Wwdc